3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

True Detective on HBO

Voodoo

So this show has McConaughey in it... and it's about cults?

Count me in!

So Keira Knightly is added too. I like her.

I don't about all these al-listers... I mean Vaughan, I'm cool with. I know he's been in a bucnch of stupid films but I know he can be good if he puts his mind to it. I'd like to see him play a serious, role, a bad guy. I think he can do it justice. Farrell an actor from my neck of the woods is good in In Bruges but his agent or him has the propensity to pick sh*tty films to work on. He needs to get better advice on scripts and chose better films. His filmography of flop films is tarnishing an acting career of an actor that isn't really amazing but somehow he has A-list status.

This seems to have a stellar cast and worried the show is just going to turn in to a circus. People will tune in for the A-list, you know the non-HBO type teen girls and they'll voice their opinion and drag the show down. Then season 3 will be dumbed down to cater for all these idiots that hopped over from Teen Pregnancy or Jersey Shore or whatever the cool singular brain-cell TV show that idiots watch these days.

Haha... that's a wild prediction and probably wont happen but it's a possibility.

Edited by Mister Pink

Rachael McAdams is rumored to be pinned for one of the main roles. Only thing I think of with her is The Wedding Crashers.

Let's see if they bring another big name for the supposed final major role.

• 6 months later...

A teaser and some set photos have been released. I would post them, but I'm using a old iPhone, sorry.

The video has me hyped. I haven't seen Vince Vaughn take on a serious role, and I don't cosider his role in Jurass Park: The Lost World as a serious role, so this will be a great watch. I feel like they went out and tried to go get big named actors, which I hope doesn't bite them in the ass, but considering Matt and Woody made the show (a long with the crazy writing and directing) for me, I have a lot of faith in these guys.

^ I got you. The tease trailer.

The first season was amazing. Hope this delivers.

A teaser and some set photos have been released. I would post them, but I'm using a old iPhone, sorry.

The video has me hyped. I haven't seen Vince Vaughn take on a serious role, and I don't cosider his role in Jurass Park: The Lost World as a serious role, so this will be a great watch. I feel like they went out and tried to go get big named actors, which I hope doesn't bite them in the ass, but considering Matt and Woody made the show (a long with the crazy writing and directing) for me, I have a lot of faith in these guys.

probably the only one that i know of , but he still has some humor in it

edit: i guess you could say Psycho too, but that movie suckedd balls

Edited by feckyerlife

like I posted before.

I still have every confidence in Colin and Vince.

at first glance they definitely seem like an odd choice.

but I think anybody who has really watched either of them over the years (not just in their Summer blockbusters) knows that both men can really act.

they don't usually have the right roles/opportunity to flex those chops.

but Colin and Vince can deliver powerful characters when the project calls for it. they have layers. a lot of people questioned Matthew McConaughey in seasons 1 before he came out the box swinging. the trailer looks great and only boosts my confidence.

• Like 3

I agree about Farrell and Vaughn. They'll deliver. I think they'll also have turn in their career and hopefully do more serious drama stuff like this.

Edited by Mister Pink

Well, I must say I now have more faith in this than I did when I first heard about the new cast.

I had very little faith once that cast/plot was announced, but the trailer may have restored it. Here's to hoping it retains some of that eerie, occult-ish vibe that was predominant in the first season.

• 2 months later...

Bumperooni.

Soooo was anyone else pleasantly surprised by the season premiere? A lot of people have mixed feelings but I personally loved it. Velcoro is easily my favorite character thus far.

"ASS-Pen", "You ever bully or hurt anybody again, I'll come back and butt f*ck your father with your mom's headless corpse on this god damn lawn."

I also prefer the new intro/theme song to season 1's (I still do love that), though that's what seems to be getting the most hatred from fans.

I love it. Fits well with this corrupt, gritty, industrialized little area of California we're being drawn into. Also noticed a few David Lynch-ish things scattered throughout the episode, including some of the music.

All in all I thought it was a great first episode. May be hard to follow for some due to the addition of more major characters than the first season, but this episode was a nice introduction into the dark lives that they're living (and will seemingly continue to live through for 7 more episodes).

Edited by Vanilla Shake
  • Like 2

The nature of a show like this is such that people will ultimately prefer one season over the other. It's inevitable.

First episode was good. It didn't have the same impact on me that the first episode of season 1 had, but that doesn't mean anything. It's too early to even tell what this season is about. It was clear last year that it was about ritual murders. This time we didn't get much about the murder in the first episode. It was all about setting up the characters. And Rachel McAdams' character is adorable in a very "bad girl with emotional issues" kind of way.

Edited by The Yokel
  • Like 2

The nature of a show like this is such that people will ultimately prefer one season over the other. It's inevitable.

First episode was good. It didn't have the same impact on me that the first episode of season 1 had, but that doesn't mean anything. It's too early to even tell what this season is about. It was clear last year that it was about ritual murders. This time we didn't get much about the murder in the first episode. It was all about setting up the characters.

I thought it was almost a reversal of the first episode of season one, with

us getting to know the characters before seeing the murder that the three of them are assigned to as opposed to seeing the crime scene first and then getting to know Rust and Marty.

I felt it was a welcome change of pace. They can't introduce the plot in the exact same way if they're really serious about making each season almost completely separate and unique to each other. Plus we have 4 (possibly 5) main characters to see develop. This was a nice launching pad. I think things'll really start to heat up in the next few episodes. Plus it did pull me in just like that first episode from last year did. I'm along for this messed up ride once again.

I also noticed that a majority of the shots in all of the promos were taken from this episode. Leaves so much more to be seen.

Edited by Vanilla Shake

Bumperooni.

Soooo was anyone else pleasantly surprised by the season premiere?

I'm with you, brotha. (Sorry, been re-watching Lost). I half expected the new intro tune to be The Only Thing Worth Figting For from the teaser, and felt the Leonard Cohen mix match a bit jarring at first, but it really grew on me. Liking it better every time I watch it. The intro itself is fantastically vivid, almost kaleidoscopic, and even more sharply cut than the season one opener.

I did find the first episode a bit lackluster, but I think that's mainly down to their decision of diligently introducing every single main character, and their baggage (at least to some extent, it would probably take all season to cast a light on just a fraction of Velcoro's, lol), all in one episode. But I guess it's something that needed to be done in order to get down to business, and I don't see how they could have done it differently, or more efficiently than they did.

As for naming favorite, or at least preferred characters so far, I have to be an oddball and nominate Taylor Kitsch's Paul Woodrugh. He's not interesting in the way that he wakes people up at night to threaten to butt f*ck their dad with their mom's headless body, or because he has a tight little body, a whore for a sister and a professional hippie for a father, but in the sense that he's the one we know least about so far, and that his character is believable. He just seems more authentic. But the power of the show has to lie in the interactions of the characters, and with personalities this diverse, how can it end up being anything other than great?

• Like 2

the premier was great I thought.

these are the types of characters I can really sink my teeth into. there's a lot of depth to work with.

I didn't see anything that makes me regret the confidence I'd placed in Vince or Colin.

they should make this season fairly memorable and their unique energy contrasts well. I just love the way that the show looks already; the first season had such distinctive themes it looks like they're trying to make season 2 feel original.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the premiere. I'm liking how just about everything is present day, rather than flash backs as it was set with the first season.

Also, has anyone else watched the premiere more than once? I like to watch each True Detective episode at least twice, once to watch live and just enjoy and another time to analyze everything as True Detective always has little things for you to analyze which I enjoy.

• Like 1

The intro theme does grow on you. I kind of expected the music to pick up pace towards the end of the credits but it doesn't. No biggie though. It'd still get you pumped up enough.

I thought the first episode absolutely nailed it at introducing the main characters. It was just the right amount of information and mystery needed to keep the storyline interesting over the next few episodes. I believe it'll be a more satisfying reveal as we delve deeper into each character.

Too early to say if it'll trump the first season, but my fingers are crossed.

• Like 3

WHAT? NO!

Every scene that Colin Farrell's character was shown in for the previews has been shown and he is completely absent from next weeks previews.

On the other hand, the commanding officer in the preview said one of his men were "shot" rather than "killed" along with the fact that there was no blood.

He's more than likely (obviously) alive but even with kevlar, he's going to be pretty f*cked up.

Edited by SimsDaniel916

Murked on.

based on a little looking online (the first three eps were reviewed by folks on RT, and there's some amateur analysis on the subreddit dedicated to this show) I am pretty sure he's not dead. I'm not sure what the point of dicking him with some cosplaying crook was, but whatever.

Feeling pretty disappointed thus far but I'm going to stick with it for now. I just don't think the characters are being handled as well as they should. The early eps of season one were a little rocky up until the end of 3, though, so maybe there's hope. I'm also p let down by the directing-- I thought I wouldn't miss Fukunaga that much, but these last two episodes have felt like a really lackluster imitation of his techniques. That, on top of the pacing issues and overall boring dialogue (aside from the car scene with Ani and Ray) has made these first two episodes a sorta rough watch for me.

WHAT? NO!

Every scene that Colin Farrell's character was shown in for the previews has been shown and he is completely absent from next weeks previews.

He's obviously alive

Here are some pictures that prove it

1318087947975668883.jpg1318021710745590597.jpg

Been enjoying this season so far. It's a bit slow paced at the moment though.

I'm trying to get an understanding of the story, hopefully it develops more in the upcoming episodes.

Oh and that ending at the end of episode 2. :O Was not expecting that.

Getting a feeling this might be another cult thing like the previous season, with that Raven mask.

• 1 month later...

The show's really coming together now. Each episode relies on every episode previous to it, and that's part of the reason I love it so much. It's slower-paced than most other shows, but I see it more like a serialized novella, like you're reading more of the story from week to week. Super noir feel, fantastic acting and writing. The scene at the very end of last week's episode was intense as f*ck, and really made me want to fire up GTA: Online and cruise through the mountains at moonlight.

Last night's episode though, holy f*ck.

RIP God Warrior

Everything is coming together nicely now and I've loved it since the first episode. Dare I say it, I honestly have been enjoying this more than the first season, and I f*cking LOVE the first season. But this time the setting, mood, characters, the Lynchian aspects and the whole theme on corruption have really fascinated me. No satanic cult made up of powerful figures this time, just classic corruption caused by greed and power.

And I really don't get the people who are hating this season. Sure, it's not for everyone, but they specifically made it clear that each season will stand apart from each other with completely different locations, characters and overall themes. A lot of them just want Rust and Marty again. And f*ck the Vince Vaughn naysayers. I hate his comedies like everyone else, but god damn has he nailed his role this season as a gangster who's out of his element with these politicians, only to find out they're even bigger crooks than he is and he has to resort to going back to the lifestyle he was used to. That's when we see the true Frank start to come out. Hell, all of the actors have knocked it out of the park, just like last season.

Season finale's gonna be 90 minutes too. Can't f*cking wait to see how this wraps up.

Edited by Vanilla Shake
  • Like 3

And f*ck the Vince Vaughn naysayers. I hate his comedies like everyone else, but god damn has he nailed his role this season as a gangster who's out of his element with these politicians, only to find out they're even bigger crooks than he is and he has to resort to going back to the lifestyle he was used to. That's when we see the true Frank start to come out.

"I said 'nah. There's potential here.' And now you just sh*t on my carpet."

• Like 2

The season has really cranked up since the shoot out scene in ep. 4. Since then every episode has been great.

Frank is one badass motherf*cker. Not really seen Vince Vaughn in a role like this and he's killing it.

Also regarding the ending of ep.7 last night.

How would Lieutenant Kevin Burris know Woodrugh would walk out that door, he was just waiting for him.

Is he the real bad guy this season?

• Like 1

And f*ck the Vince Vaughn naysayers. I hate his comedies like everyone else, but god damn has he nailed his role this season as a gangster who's out of his element with these politicians, only to find out they're even bigger crooks than he is and he has to resort to going back to the lifestyle he was used to. That's when we see the true Frank start to come out.

"I said 'nah. There's potential here.' And now you just sh*t on my carpet."

Loved that scene. A lot of his lines have been memorable, even in the early episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHBUVqrJl_E

"Always hated these f*ckin' things. What kinda way is that to greet the world?"

The season has really cranked up since the shoot out scene in ep. 4. Since then every episode has been great.

Frank is one badass motherf*cker. Not really seen Vince Vaughn in a role like this and he's killing it.

Also regarding the ending of ep.7 last night.

How would Lieutenant Kevin Burris know Woodrugh would walk out that door, he was just waiting for him.

Is he the real bad guy this season?

Paul's lover who met him when he arrived told him they were being watched, so I'm guessing they had all possible exits covered, and I guess for the sake of the audience he walked out the doors where Burris was waiting, that way we know for sure he's dirty and possibly involved with the jewelery store robbery/execution in '92. I don't think he's the "Birdman" though.

Paul's lover who met him when he arrived told him they were being watched, so I'm guessing they had all possible exits covered, and I guess for the sake of the audience he walked out the doors where Burris was waiting, that way we know for sure he's dirty and possibly involved with the jewelery store robbery/execution in '92. I don't think he's the "Birdman" though.

Yeah that makes sense.

They haven't really touched on the Birdman aspect for a while. Interesting to how that pans out with the Caspers' murder.

Can't believe there's only one episode left, seems to have gone quite quick as is the way with a good series.

Ah well, it's an hour and half long it should be jammed packed with content.