3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Cool Things You Didn't Know About GTA IV

Algonquin Assassin

I wouldn't mind having a Simulation mode in Grand Theft Auto IV for those who love realism, and Normal one for those who just want to have fun.

Edited by Americana
Goldn-Bayse

Maybe people have found this already but I just noticed it a few days ago. I was about to leave the Algonquin safehouse and I saw an old lady run inside shivering from the rain. A few seconds later she pulled out an umbrella and walked outside.

• Like 2

Yeah, they also hide under various rooftops, or under some buildings. That's cool.

billiejoearmstrong8
12 hours ago, Americana said:

Yeah, they also hide under various rooftops, or under some buildings. That's cool.

I've even seen some hiding under trees in Middle Park. And as well as people pulling out umbrellas you can see some people running holding newspapers over their heads. Plus the cops wear raincoats and waterproof shoe and hat covers. Awesome attention to detail.

In mission Weekend at Florian's, if you pull up your phone, game will tell you to put it away and listen to Talbot directions.

• Like 3
billiejoearmstrong8

That reminded me of another one. In Union Drive when Bernie tells you to get a fast car if you try getting in a slow one the game will tell you "this vehicle won't satisfy Bernie" lol

Legomanarthur

I don't know if anyone talked about this before but the Trashmaster always spawns as dirty in the streets of LC, you can clean it using a trainer:

tDRJ7MG.png3jeIIcl.png
  • Like 4
Panzermann11

In the Episodes from Liberty City cover art, the image with the champagne girl (Joni) is seen pouring into a cup instead of popping it for obvious reasons.

During the police chase, if you somehow manage to switch you car without being seen by the police, the police won't recognize you and drive pass you like nothing happen. You got 10-20 more seconds to escape the wanted zone.

• Like 2
Panzermann11
43 minutes ago, santosvagos said:

During the police chase, if you somehow manage to switch you car without being seen by the police, the police won't recognize you and drive pass you like nothing happen. You got 10-20 more seconds to escape the wanted zone.

The game also even gives you a hint about it when you're wanted for the first time.

Stuff I noticed about the mission "Dust Off"

You want to use a helicopter to follow the helicopter? So you nearly kill yourself breaking past the barricades and stealing one from the still locked Alderney, land it in front of your safe house to nap your wanted level away, fly the helicopter to the paper company for the mission cut scene, fly to the off ramp next to the fake UN, land near but not on the yellow arrow, grab a car and drive on the arrow to activate the cut scene of the enemy helicopter taking off, then after all of that, discover the doors to your helicopter are mysteriously locked, but are suddenly open once the mission fails. 

Two other things I discovered.  One, could someone explain why the enemy helicopter flies all the way around the tip of Algonquin instead of directly across the island? The place they land at is on the same crosstown road that runs directly to the offramp.  The other thing, if you drive directly to the enemy helicopter without killing anyone, steal it, and go directly to the airport, you are rewarded for completing the mission, even though the primary goal was to kill the people in the helicopter and the people they were meeting with. 

billiejoearmstrong8
12 hours ago, Line Rider said:

Two other things I discovered.  One, could someone explain why the enemy helicopter flies all the way around the tip of Algonquin instead of directly across the island? The place they land at is on the same crosstown road that runs directly to the offramp. 

The real reason is just for the sake of gameplay, but I guess it could be explained by rules about where it's legal to fly in the city, or it could be a tactic to try and avoid being followed since they're up to shady stuff and might have suspicions. 

8 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

The real reason is just for the sake of gameplay, but I guess it could be explained by rules about where it's legal to fly in the city, or it could be a tactic to try and avoid being followed since they're up to shady stuff and might have suspicions. 

The gameplay bit was obvious. What I don't get is why the game programmers chose a route that is moronic. You got a helicopter,  it goes over buildings, you got an important meeting to get to, why are you taking the scenic route? 

As for where it is legal to fly, they took off from the Liberty City version of the United Nations and should have diplomatic clearance to fly wherever they want. Besides, there is a heliport in Star Junction which spawns helicopters later in the game, so I am sure it is legal to fly through there. ( also, one of the helicopter tours goes right through there. ) And not wanting to be followed? On a helicopter? Up in the sky where everyone can see? Which would be on the radar? If they picked a helicopter to avoid being followed then they are stupid. They should have gotten into a town car and drove in circles around the town before going to the meeting. 

billiejoearmstrong8

You're not wrong. I guess some suspension of disbelief is always required when playing GTA though (even GTA IV).

The same thing happened during Toreno Last Flight in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I mean, the helicopter could go anywhere, but they decided to fly just above the roady.

• 3 weeks later...
LordMasterJT

Yeah, I hadn't played this game since before last time I visited NY (and made sure to explore Brooklyn), but stumbled across this thread and headed back into IV for the first time in seven years. Been playing for three days now and still haven't started the first mission - just having so much fun roaming around Broker and Dukes, recognizing a lot of stuff from reality and researching what everything else is based on. 

Another thing is when V and RDR2 launched and I saw the map size comparisons to previous R* releases, my first thought was "huh, this doesn't look that much bigger than IV", as if that was a disappointment. Yup.🕳️

Add it all together and the cool thing I didn't know about GTA IV is just how huge Liberty City is. It still looks beautiful too, even on a big screen. I also definitely second that this world feels more immersive than V. Interiors and livelier NPC's all the way, plus the entire compelling story-deal. 

• Like 3

Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto IV is the most immersive and one of the most beautiful cities that has been ever created.

Walking around Liberty City at night is just a magical experience. It's just... something else.

Moreover, every neighbourhood is so different, it is just great - whenever you walk between the townhouses in Broker or Bohan, or walk across the river and see beautiful skyscrapers of Algonquin - it's so beautiful.

Edited by Americana
Just now, Americana said:

or walk across the river and see beautiful skyscrapers of Algonquin - it's so beautiful.

I think all of us already knew that

Just now, Americana said:

Bruh. 

All of us already knew that Algonquin's skyscrapers are so beautiful in almost all views

I have just realized that Niko's animation for running without and with carbine rifles, and also sprinting is quite similar to the Claude from III, but of course more natural.

Edited by kubon352

I may have imagined it, but yesterday I knocked over a phone pole and I swear a ped actually said "That pole almost hit me!"

• Like 2
Line Rider

Just when you thought Liberty City had no wildlife other than pidgeons, you find a dumpster swarming with flies. So now Liberty City only has adult humans, pidgeons, and flies.

On 1/17/2014 at 6:10 AM, Cebra said:

- All NPCs have dialogue that they would use to pick up prostitutes, even ones that don't spawn in areas where prostitutes do. (Therefore making them hiring one impossible). Their lines can be heard using SparkIV or OpenIV.

- After multiple dates, each potential girlfriend will make a large proposition. Carmen will ask Niko to buy her a condo in Algonquin, Kiki will ask Niko if he is planning to marry her, and Alex will open up to Niko about her abusive mother.

- Alex is the most unique girlfriend. She is the only one that Niko confides in, talking about his life in the war and his crimes. Unfortunately she doesn't believe him, so he says that he works in construction. She also writes a blog (LiberatedWoman on blogsnobs.org), and will write about the dates she has with Niko as well as the sex afterward if Niko is invited in for coffee.

- Roman can be called after every couple of missions in order for a unique conversation.

- Roman can also be called after the first date with a new girlfriend. He will respond negatively to Kiki, calling her too proper for Niko, but positively to Carmen and Alex since they're both hot and young.

- The kill that finally gets to Niko is, surprisingly, Ray Boccino. If you call Roman after Pest Control he says that he's not sure how much longer he can work as a hired gun.

- The only time Niko drinks alcohol without the player's consent is in One Last Thing, probably because he assumed that he wouldn't be working.

- There is an artwork that is not in any loading screens (360, PS3 or PC), but still remains in the files. I'll post it below.

- Darko Brevic has unique teeth. They are more decayed and yellow than, for example, Niko's or Elizabeta's.

- Little Jacob speaks in Iyaric, while Badman speaks Jamaican Patois. This makes the latter even harder for Niko to understand.

- In earlier versions of the game, Maxwell Caughlin's name was Maxwell Caddy. I got it day one, so mine still says Caddy. The same is true of Shon Kikuchi; it was originally Simon.

For some reason I remember this artwork, but it was taken out of the game so I don't know where from.

Spaghetti_Kill_zpsb293417a.png

Lol Sopranos