3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Cool Things You Didn't Know About GTA IV

Algonquin Assassin

AutisticTorch
1 hour ago, KGBeast said:

Somehow I never tried this before, but ZiT! doesn't just work when listening to the radio in the car, it works when you're near any environmental music source. Just tried it on the stereo in Luis' apartment and it worked. 

I remember accidently doing that. It's really cool that R* did it.

billiejoearmstrong8
On 7/17/2020 at 6:11 AM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I love all the street name themes! Ones I know are:

- The cult leader names around Alderney City

- Woodland animal names in Westdyke

- Rock/mineral names for the streets in Algonquin

- Current or former US state capital names for the avenues in Algonquin

- Breakdancing moves names for the streets in Bohan

- Prison names for the avenues in Bohan

- Wild west/cowboy names for the streets in Broker

- Native American tribe names for the avenues in Broker/Dukes

- Henry VIII's six wives' names in Meadow Hills (and weirdly one in Northwood) 

- Some vegetable names around Rotterdam Hill

- Plays on words and double entendre names for odd little streets in Algonquin (eg "Wong Way" in Chinatown, dirty stuff like "Back Passage" and "The Brown Place" in Suffolk/Little Italy, and some fish wordplay eg "Cod Row", "Flatfish Place" dotted around)

I can't figure out what the links between the street names in the southern part of Alderney (anywhere below Alderney City) are, I'm sure there must be some, and there's a few more unaccounted for around the map that also probably have themes. I hope to figure them all out.

Oh also one time I was listening to random audio files from IV on youtube and Niko's taxi dialogue asking to go to different streets came on. And there was one with him asking for "I Did It My-Way" :lol:. So I guess there was a plan for a street to be named that at one point. They should've kept it.

Just adding on to this

- Many of the streets in Dukes are named after events in American revolutionary/military history

- Some streets/avenues in Actor Industrial Estate are named after types of soldier (eg Grenadier Street, Musketeer Ave)

- Some streets/avenues in the south of Alderney are named after famous inventors, and some are named after nuclear tests

- Three streets in Broker seem to be Beatles references (Ringo Street, Starr Street and Harrison Street)

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1
Americana

Yes, ahead of its time. I mean, no other game is as detailed as this one. Some games tried... but failed.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
KGBeast

Going through the IV website files I saw the images for Goldberg Ligner and Shyster were abbreviated to 'glands'. I never noticed that before. Goldber Ligner AND Shyster. Classic Rockstar humor hidden in plain sight for almost 13 years. 

• Like 7
TheJesus1996

This was a real next generation of open world experience, they thought of everything... so many details.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
Wayne Kerr

Apparently there was a cut phone call where Mallorie explains to Niko why she slept with Vlad(because she wanted to get back at Roman for his debauchery and to see if he was serious about her). 

I wonder why they removed it cause wouldn't having this explanation make more sense? Maybe they removed it cause they didn't want to have Mallorie have to explain her actions, either way found this interesting. 

• Like 2
Americana

Yeah, it's stupid. This makes Mallorie just a slut who sleeps around. Maybe she is one, but I don't want to know that, honestly. I prefer the explaination given in the game. 

Jeansowaty
On 2/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, Americana said:

Yeah, it's stupid. This makes Mallorie just a slut who sleeps around. Maybe she is one, but I don't want to know that, honestly. I prefer the explaination given in the game. 

Well Roman is a hound who sleeps around as well, he isn't any better xD

• Like 1
kubon352
On 2/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, Americana said:

Maybe she is one, but I don't want to know that, honestly. I prefer the explaination given in the game. 

What was the explanation? I can't remember it.

DR:BUSTA
2 minutes ago, Jeansowaty said:

Well Roman is a hound who sleeps around as well, he isn't any better xD

The scissors 

• KEKW 2
kubon352

That line about 'Roman urges' I think it was deleted because something similar Roman says during one of friend activities with Niko.

Panzermann11

You can kill a car driver if you hit their car hard enough. Additionally, if a driver is shot while driving their car, the car would steer out of control and crash!

Edited by Panzermann11
  • Like 3
billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, Panzermann11 said:

You can kill a car driver if you hit their car hard enough. Additionally, if a driver is shot when their car is driving in top speed, the car would steer out of control and crash!

Two other things that can happen if you hit another car head on at top speed is they can go flying through the windscreen (same as you can) or a fire can start inside their car, setting the driver and/or passengers on fire and causing them to fall out the doors.

Also, as well as the driving out of control if shot while driving thing, sometimes shooting a driver dead (even if the car isn't moving at all) causes their foot to fall on the gas pedal so the car shoots forward very fast and doesn't stop until it hits a solid object. I can remember being killed this way when I stood in front of a taxi in traffic and shotgunned the driver in the face, causing me to be run over violently lol. So much awesome detail when driving!

• Like 2
JaeDan 101
4 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I can remember being killed this way when I stood in front of a taxi in traffic and shotgunned the driver in the face, causing me to be run over violently lol. So much awesome detail when driving!

Sometimes, taxi drivers suddenly die for no reason even Niko is not doing anything (even if he is just standing)

I also found some rare stuff in GTA IV

Edited by JaeDan 101
  • Like 1
Legomanarthur

So I was listening to some audio files in EP2_SCRIPTED_SPEECH.rpf and I stumbled across Margot's dialogue from her random encounters (it's called GIRL1 if you're interested in hearing them yourself). It turns out the encounter was slightly different. I found some unused voice lines that suggest that Luis had the ability to save her or to leave her to die (assuming the civilians who pursue Luis in the final encounter were planned from the get-go if the player chooses not to save her since their voice lines are in the same file).

From what I can tell, you wouldn't encounter Margot at Pier 45 but at a different location. My guess would be a bridge or somewhere close to water since the unused voice lines establish that Margot was going to either jump in the Humboldt River or the West River. Luis would rescue her and bring her to shore. Margot once again thanks Luis and tells him that he really cares about her. Luis obviously disagrees and drops her off somewhere close hoping to never see her again.

• Like 3
Panzermann11
On 5/22/2020 at 7:32 AM, iiCriminnaaL said:
  • According to the game's files, the bus is intended to be driven in the streets, and it has values set for it to appear in some hours in certain neighborhoods. What's also interesting is that it has a frequency value that should make it regularly appear, but for some reason it can only be seen parked, as it seems like there's an issue in some script code that prevents it from appearing properly.
    There're some mods that fix that (as well as some minor vehicle spawning issues) in the PC version.

Nevertheless, you can still see it being driven in certain missions. I notably saw someone driving it during one of Jimmy's missions, Payback and Roman's Holiday in TLAD. You also can see it driven around Francis International sometimes.

Also, would you kindly point me out where those fix mods are?

Edited by Panzermann11
Jeansowaty
7 hours ago, Panzermann11 said:

Nevertheless, you can still see it being driven in certain missions. I notably saw someone driving it during one of Jimmy's missions, Payback and Roman's Holiday in TLAD. You also can see it driven around Francis International sometimes.

Also, would you kindly point me out where those fix mods are?

They're scripted to appear in traffic in some missions. Also they are set to appear in traffic at the Airport.

Panzermann11
14 minutes ago, Jeansowaty said:

They're scripted to appear in traffic in some missions. Also they are set to appear in traffic at the Airport.

Yeah, but is there any way to make them appear on the streets?

Jeansowaty
1 minute ago, Panzermann11 said:

Yeah, but is there any way to make them appear on the streets?

Yeah, you'd need to edit the cargrp.dat file in the common/data folder.

IS06DMX

Playing again GTA IV on PS3, I've noticed that cars are generally parked middle streetway in Bohan area, where hills are present. Is that normal, to reflect the behaviour of the neighbourhood, or is just a glitch/bug?

Edited by IS06DMX
Americana

I haven't seen that in Bohan, but I know that Rockstar messed up the area nearby Little Jacob's house and cars spawn in the middle of the road.

• 2 weeks later...
Panzermann11

I noticed the pedestrians actually react to you carrying a weapon depending on the type of weapon. If they see you holding an assault rifle, shotgun or a sniper rifle, they'll react in shock.

Carry an RPG-7 and they'll run away. 

The fact they haven't done the same thing for police officers still baffled me to this very day, even Postal 2 from 4 years ago got that right. There's even an unused line for the police dispatcher mentioning a "possesion of a firearm".

I'd like if someone made a mod where you get a single star when a cop spots you with a gun and 2 stars with a launcher.

Edited by Panzermann11