1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
theadmiral

The Coffee & Tea Thread

Keegeroo

snip

that's badass, been looking for a contraption like that.. Once saw a ceramic cone filter similar to that, had a 4 figure price tag though. Really, it was a piece of art capable of making coffee.

Doc Rikowski

Coffee is kind of a big deal in Italy (and in Portugal).

We all use this very simple to use instrument to make Espresso at home (Italian moka), invented in Italy in 1933:
bialetti-espresso-maker.png
You can use it with whatever blend or brand of ground coffee.
It is simple to use but you have to know some little secrets for the perfect brewing.
Those are passed from generation to generation.
The result is a highly kick ass Espresso.

I drink one of this in the morning.
2 spoons of sugar, no milk.
If you are hangover just drink it with no sugar. It helps a lot.
It's not bad with a few drops of milk.
You drink it in a small cup, like this one, cause it is very strong:

31yMsM%2B6spL.jpg

I used to drink 3 espressos x day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) but I reduced to 2.
The second one is the typical Espresso served in bars/coffee shops.
Made by this machine:
Planet-SAE-espresso-machine.jpg
This one has secrets too. Some places can make the best Espresso ever, some the worst.

In Europe the only 2 countries with an Espresso culture and decent Espresso everywhere are Italy and Portugal.
You would think Spain too but not, their "café solo" is an entirely different thing.
However you can find some good Espresso in Barcelona and of course in other very fancy places all over Europe, managed by Italians or by other Espresso enthusiasts.
But it all depends on the actual coffee shop and they are usually expensive (I remember paying over 3€ for an Espresso in Amsterdam! — I pay 60cent. in Lisbon, 80cent. in Rome).

I also like Greek coffee but it is a complete different thing from Espresso.
Strong stuff though.

As for American style coffee well, cannot say much cause when I've been in the US I wasn't drinking coffee yet.
I'm sure you can find good Espresso in NYC.
In Madrid I used to drink coffee "a la American" but I felt like I was drinking a coffee kinda made like a tea.

Stay away from all those Nespresso machine bs. That's just fashion and marketing. Coffee for lazy and hipster people, imo.

Starbucks... It opened in Portugal recently. Too expensive Espresso for me.
No Starbucks in Italy. That would be like trying to open Pizza Hut in there.
Not profitable. ;)

Mister Pinkerton

I like coffee. I like it from a moka pot. I picked up some Lavazza and after drinking too much coffee from work (it's free, thankfully) I once thought it was OK as I hadn't had nice coffee in a long time. Picked up some red Lavazza and from the moka post the texture of the coffee is very silky and smooth. The strength is nice and I can actually get nice buzz when the caffeine kicks in. If I brew a strong coffee in the moka pot, I'll add a lot of milk.

Edited by Mister Pink

Doc Rikowski

Lavazza is my fav brand. :)

Mister Pinkerton

Good man. I can't really say I've experience enough different brands.. but Lavazza has never failed. How do you make yours? My old house mate used to almost burn it in the moka but he said he likes it like that. I find it kills the nice aroma.

Doc Rikowski

Strictly not hot water right below the "hole"* (red line in pic... can't recall the english word for that "hole" :D )

67hx6d.jpg

Fill gently the basket with coffee over the borders (make like a lil'hill) and do not press it.

Now, according to some "schools" you have to press the coffee cause it makes the final result creamier, thicker and stronger.

I disagree and I prefer the other way.

Also because the pressed coffee in the basket means it will take much longer for the coffee to come out and at the same time it will burn it more.

You can test both ways and then decide what you prefer.

As for heat on the stove, medium/low. Strong if you are in a hurry.

EDIT, BRANDS; Lavazza is great. Illy is also good but it is way too expensive and the quality is the same. Segafredo can be a good cheap alternative but I don't really like it. Some Portuguese brands like Delta and Sical are also good but they don't ground the coffee for moka pots as thin as the Italian ones. In that case you can use the one they ground for american style coffee pots cause it's thinner than the one for moka pots. I don't know why. :p

Edited by Doc Rikowski

ska

I recently picked up a 30 oz Chemex coffeemaker for when I make smaller batches (when I'm not making it in my 12 cup Cuisinart grind and brew drip). My french press broke a few months back and needed something to make a smaller batch, and this thing is great. It's easier to maintain than a french press, and works just as well.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

Chemex.jpg

I'm currently running through my final pound of one of my favorite coffees, la armonía hemosa. The new harvest won't be until the end of the summer, so it won't come into my local roaster until then. I'm super bummed.

I love the Chemex. You can never go wrong with the clean cup you get when you use a pour-over filter, 'tis why I love my little V60 so much. Definitely need to pick one of these up, though. They aren't too expensive.

I just received this bad boy in the mail today. Can't wait to start off the summer with some nice cold brew, though I wish I didn't have to wait 12 hours to enjoy it. The wait is well worth it, though. Anyone who has never tried cold brew needs to get on that, it's fantastic. Lacks the acidly you typically get when brewing with hot water and you definitely pick up the sweeter notes and aroma. It's a different, but awesome experience.

Edited by ska

Voodoo

It's time for a coffee bump.

I just opened a new bag of Guatemalan Huehuetenango and almost passed out standing in the kitchen huffing the aroma. So good. I started ordering bulk for my everyday brew a while back.

KK7ed8h.png

75g beans, 1.25l spring water, #14 grind on the Baratza and an unbleached paper cone filter in the Moccamaster.

MmmMmMmMmMMm

Ai®a©ob®a

It's time for a coffee bump.

I just opened a new bag of Guatemalan Huehuetenango and almost passed out standing in the kitchen huffing the aroma. So good. I started ordering bulk for my everyday brew a while back.

KK7ed8h.png

75g beans, 1.25l spring water, #14 grind on the Baratza and an unbleached paper cone filter in the Moccamaster.

MmmMmMmMmMMm

I've actually had that brand before it's amazing, I wish they made them in k-cups i'd buy nothing but them

Constant K

Bulk buyers are way too optimistic for my taste.

Where's the tea thread?

Ai®a©ob®a

Bulk buyers are way too optimistic for my taste.

Where's the tea thread?

Maybe this thread could be renamed the Coffee & Tea Discusssion?

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I'm about to have my morning green tea.

Constant K

I can't begin my day without my cuppa of goodness.

angeldust

zqb-26208b_1z.jpg

what can i say im still on pleb tier but atleast it aint instant

el carlitos

I recommend you to order a Cafe Cortado or a Cafe Bombon next time when you are in Spain. In pretty every bar you can get a very good coffee here.

Same in France. In my opinion even better than in Italy.

I don´t like coffee in Germany as it is like Water and tastes like sh*t, made always bad experience there. Some kind of American coffee I guess, but I am not sure as I never have been in US.

Edited by el carlitos

feckyerlife

Iced Tea every day keeps the doctor away

Michael

I have never drank hot coffee that I actually liked but I do like some ice coffee, I know this lady in a village not far away who makes her own ice coffee and that stuff is so good. Sometimes I go to Starbucks and get some frappuccino there. I usually check on a website what kinds of flavors they have here because they really want to rush everything. I'd rather drink tea though, I used to drink a lot of tea on school with my teachers and colleagues at the internship office. I usually like normal tea like earl grey with not too much sugar. The Starbucks has nice tea too but it's sadly way too overpriced.

Voodoo

lrMqFnW.png

I recently went back to Ethiopian coffee after a little break and picked up some Yirgacheffe. It's a super bright light roast with a medium body and a little citrus/sweet on the finish. Really nice.

Ai®a©ob®a

Has anyone tried a brand called Death Wish? it has around 600mg of Coffee per serving was thinking about getting some but wanted to know if anybody else have tried it yet.

G57lSrL.jpg

Rafae

Coffee is one of God's many gifts to Earth 😍

Evil empire

I prefer tea especially with honey.

Ai®a©ob®a

Picked up a 10 pack of Deathwish 600mg of Caffeine K-Cups today having my first cup now...

HDXCMYR.jpg

Bets are now open will it....

A. Make me hyper af

B. Jittery

C. Full of energy

D. All of the above

E. None of the above

Also finally found Guatemala Huehuetenango in Single Serve K-Cups order a 72ct off Amazon for $29 which is quite cheap and a bargain for this amazing coffee

81i-S0nNFiL._SX522_.jpg

MCMXCII

I usually drink my coffee black or with milk and sugar and just like with alcohol, I only drink it while at home.

As for tea, green tea is my favorite kind of tea to drink.

Edited by jrl51592

Brian Grey

Twinnings spicy chai is something I like to treat myself, My Coffee is Percol, I drink All-Day Americano black and black and beyond expresso with Goats milk.

Evil empire

I especially like vanilla, pear-chocolate and caramel tatin-apple tea with rosemary or acacia honey.

Murdick

Yorkshire Tea, two sugars, and whole milk.

Coffee, same thing.

None of this soy crap or whatever in my brews.

Ray's Occult Books

At home it's Yorkshire Tea

2 spoons of sugar "Tate & Lyle"

pure sugar cane not that sugar beet crap from other sugar brands,

Whole milk.

Nescafe Original coffee, Whole milk 2 sugars.

When I'm out and in a coffeehouse

I order a large Americano 4 sugars and a jug of milk,

no cream or UHT crap milk.

Edited by Ray's Occult Books

Tigereyesxx

I Drink Twinings English Breakfast Tea, best I have ever tasted, refreshes, energises, and you dont get that horrible come down you get 15 minutes after a Coffee..

Mister Pinkerton

I drink about 3 cups per day. Usually after meals. I've grown accustomed to having freeze-dried coffee again but will treat myself to some nicer coffee using the moka pot. One thing I discovered about using freeze-dried coffee again is that if I have 1-2 spoonfuls of coffee with hotwater and use a 60%/40%  ratio of coffee/hotwater to milk it's nice. So, lots of coffee and lots of milk make it actually very nice. 

Haven't drank English tea in a while. I had it when I was away with my fry-up breakfast in the B&B and it was delicious!

JON22

Cheap coffee with boiled water from the kettle with milk and sugar. I'm a simple man. Have about two-three cups a day, and alternate between tea and coffee so about two cups of tea too with sugar and milk. No fancy stuff. Just hot water and teabags.

Sometimes I'll buy cheap cold coffee from cheap places when buying my food (crap) shopping. No fancy cafe.