Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,200 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
GTASuspectOnFoot

Why Did Rockstar Include a University Campus (ULSA)?

GTASuspectOnFoot

One would think that after multiple college and high school shootings in recent years, that they would refrain from (unnecessarily) including such a place in a GTA game.

I personally have no problem with it.

I'm just curious what would compel them to include that.

Algonquin Assassin

GTA III, SA and GTA IV all had university campuses so why not?

Dope_0110

Because those exist in real life and as such make sense to appear in the virtual city just as much as any apartment building, bank or police station do.

Elementary and high schools do too, but those cause greater controversy because they're places where children usually spend time so people and media would get a lot of sand in their vaginas if Rockstar were to include those, while university campus causes none of that.

BLOOD

Lol,GTA is the King of Controvesy since 1997 it like the U.S of Video Games,it doesnt shy from violence,sex,racism or stereotypes.No offense to people from the U.S just using it as example.U.S is a great nation btw

Raavi

To be fair though, it's not like you can go in lecture halls or anything. Just like with previous GTA's - if you didn't know any better you wouldn't even know it was a University campus.

BLOOD

To be fair though, it's not like you can go in lecture halls or anything. Just like with previous GTA's - if you didn't know any better you wouldn't even know it was a University campus.

Exactly

JonesyRogers

Yeah

If you could enter the building and just start shooting all over the place, then the media would definitely have a frenzy over that

Frantz Fuchs

Why not?

Showstopper 26

Very tasteless on their part.

IDredMan

How dare you want to exclude it?

As Fox News says, the only point of GTA is to teach retarded and highly impressionable children to kill other children when they grow up.

Shame on you.

SmoothGetaway

Like others have said uni campuses have been in every game, but it'd be hard to notice unless you were paying close attention.

The real controversy is in schools for minors. Every so often a topic will pop up here wondering why children aren't in the games. The Housers have gone on record as saying they will never be in the game, because it adds nothing at all to the experience.

All GTA worlds are inhabited by complete assholes, something that makes it acceptable to sidewalk drive. Adding kids takes that away.

HonestOG556

Yeah

If you could enter the building and just start shooting all over the place, then the media would definitely have a frenzy over that

Everybody cares about dead kids, but nobody about dead nerds.

Edited by HonestOG556

CrazyRay

As Fox News says, the only point of GTA is to teach retarded and highly impressionable children to kill other children when they grow up.

Shame on you.

Then why was Hillary Clinton and Tipper Gore, Democrats, against video game violence?

FAIL on that attempt to bash Fox News there, buddy

Edited by CrazyRay

GTASuspectOnFoot

I agree with you guys...

SO WHY WAS MY UNIVERSITY SHOOTING DEATHMATCH DELETED?

It's in the game...why not allow a PLAYER VS PLAYER deathmatch when you can kill pedestrians there in free roam?

fish61324

All you people saying stuff along the lines of that they had universities in past gta games and there is a college there in real life..... I just have one thing to completey shut you up...... Why no Planes in GTA IV?! yeah, that's what I thought.

SmoothGetaway

There were no planes because the map wasn't big enough, if I recall correctly. I believe one of the Housers said that.

What's that got to do with the OP?

Officer Ronson

@SmoothGetaway

Well by the Handling.dat files it seems that planes were ment to be in the game but because of the small size of LC there wans't any. The Houser brothers also said they had a f*cking huge countryside but in end all we got was the Urban Jungle, maybe its because they were limited as hell back then..

BackPack

Why did they put in skyscrapers?

Don't they remember that day in September?

Edited by BackPack

SmoothGetaway

@Tenxax

That sounds right.

Yeah they had pretty big ambitions when they first announce IV, also it got delayed and that generally means cut features.

Never knew that about the handling files, thanks for the info.

Edited by SmoothGetaway

lizardman563

Shame on you.

Then why was Hillary Clinton and Tipper Gore, Democrats, against video game violence?

FAIL on that attempt to bash Fox News there, buddy

In fairness, fox news does suck dick and Glenn Beck is an overweight crybaby.

BLOOD

Ubisoft are also following GTA 4 model of not including Planes in Watch-dogs because Watch-dogs is set in a City Only.It makes sense in GTA 5 because,it more wide plus,there is a countryside and hangars.That why planes return for the first time in the HD Era and Since GTA San Andreas.

GTASuspectOnFoot

Mind if we get back on topic please...?

Eagles

You better wait for Bully 2 then, kid.

Audiophile

Because that's the closest some people will get to setting foot into a university.

Kidding. To actually answer the question....because they exist in real life so it makes sense to include it in V?

killahmatic

It adds to the environment. Instead of just another house, or just another generic building, its something unique to the map. A unique shape and layout.

That's important to GTA. Lack of variety would take away a lot from a game like this.

Besides, its not like you can go inside and shoot up classrooms full of children. Now, had R* added an elementary school with an interior and children inside, I'd absolutely be against it, but this University is no more than a piece of land to mess around on.

Drunken Cowboy

Maybe a final "f*ck you" to Jack Thompson not being able to sue the "murder simulator" anymore? Hue hue hue...

I think you're over-thinking it, palie. School campuses and guns don't insight violence, AND I'LL f*ckING SHOOT ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE!

Ray

Rockstar should of kept the Elementary school, but made it non-enterable of course. It would of added a whole new level of realism to the game.

BLOOD

Fun Fact:according to GTA Wiki,The face of The Statue of Happiness in Liberty City resemble that of Hilary Clinton.Lol GTA is just the "Bad Boy of Gaming.and also according to wikipedia GTA is the'Most Controverrial Game Series in Video Game History"

Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Ray

Fun Fact:according to GTA Wiki,The face of The Statue of Happiness in Liberty City resemble that of Hilary Clinton.Lol GTA is just unstoppable

Off topic, but that's still interesting.

madmanaz

I would like to point out that this particular GTA was made by a Rockstar not based in America and is more or less a slam on the American way of life. As a cynic and self-hating US citizen I found it funny. But I think too many people have forgotton this isn't an American game. While I'm sure violence exists on the tiny island this game was created on, I doubt it's as bad as recent years here in the states. I'm glad school buses are nonexistent but I think a university is more for aesthetics and architecture.