2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
mariana_dm1989

Paleto Forest Discussion

darksats
21 hours ago, Mastah said:

Yeah, it's still called Grand Theft Auto. And exploring the world by a vehicle is still suggested option.

It's no secret Paleto Forest (and the rest of the map) is the way it is partly because of last gen consoles limitations. But it's also GTA in 2013, not some RPG in medieval times or Just Cause game on tropical island. Hell, even RDR2 map, which is basically one giant countryside, is riddled with paths and roads. What do some people expect, giant uncharted forest, so they can do... exactly what? Count trees?

Is gta only about driving and shooting people? gta series is well received because of the so much content they make in single player which makes you feel like you are living in real world. thats not the case in gta v. hiking through forests and mountains enjoying nature and exploring all parts of it is so much fun and it adds mystery to the game. you encounter random events like animals attacking npcs or thieves robbing people and unique activities in the forest. also the forests and mountains should have lots of dirt roads so its easy to travel through it. big forests have a lot of potential to be a great enjoyable experience in a openworld game like gta v.

Mastah
3 hours ago, Official General said:

If you don't mind not having a proper forest that's fine. But don't be acting stupid like you don't understand what it means to be immersed in realistic representations of an open world environment. Counting trees ? Yeah very funny, but it aint' necessary. 

But what do you want to do in Grand Theft Auto's huge forest, if you remove using vehicles? Hunt animals? OK, I guess, but games like theHunter give you so much better experience, play them instead. What else is there? Rockstar shouldn't waste usable terrain just to please some fetishists.

I'm a huge sucker for ponds, rivers and especially streams, both in virtual space and IRL, so I absolutely love places like Lago Zancudo or Little Creek River in RDR2. But let's say if next GTA is set in Vice City, I don't want them to put untouched Everglades on half of the map just to please my autistic ass. It's Grand Theft Auto and using vehicles on road infrastructure must take priority in designing the game.

50 minutes ago, darksats said:

Is gta only about driving and shooting people? gta series is well received because of the so much content they make in single player which makes you feel like you are living in real world. thats not the case in gta v. hiking through forests and mountains enjoying nature and exploring all parts of it is so much fun and it adds mystery to the game. you encounter random events like animals attacking npcs or thieves robbing people and unique activities in the forest. also the forests and mountains should have lots of dirt roads so its easy to travel through it. big forests have a lot of potential to be a great enjoyable experience in a openworld game like gta v.

Yes, same as RDR2 is about horse riding and shooting. Just because you can do other things doesn't change the fact map and gameplay were designed around what GTA/RDR are all about.

There's a small, but dense forest in Raton Canyon. It's dense to such extent even Sanchez is barely usable there, not to mention actual cars. At that point it has to be asked why would you wish to see much more of such "wasted" space, if not to only please yourself? GTA is not a hunting game. It isn't a thriller game like Alan Wake. It's a game about damn driving, everything else is secondary.

darksats
13 hours ago, Mastah said:

But what do you want to do in Grand Theft Auto's huge forest, if you remove using vehicles? Hunt animals? OK, I guess, but games like theHunter give you so much better experience, play them instead. What else is there? Rockstar shouldn't waste usable terrain just to please some fetishists.

I'm a huge sucker for ponds, rivers and especially streams, both in virtual space and IRL, so I absolutely love places like Lago Zancudo or Little Creek River in RDR2. But let's say if next GTA is set in Vice City, I don't want them to put untouched Everglades on half of the map just to please my autistic ass. It's Grand Theft Auto and using vehicles on road infrastructure must take priority in designing the game.

Yes, same as RDR2 is about horse riding and shooting. Just because you can do other things doesn't change the fact map and gameplay were designed around what GTA/RDR are all about.

There's a small, but dense forest in Raton Canyon. It's dense to such extent even Sanchez is barely usable there, not to mention actual cars. At that point it has to be asked why would you wish to see much more of such "wasted" space, if not to only please yourself? GTA is not a hunting game. It isn't a thriller game like Alan Wake. It's a game about damn driving, everything else is secondary.

Gta is not only about driving. there are plenty of racing games like nfs, burnout, forza, project cars, gran turismo, the crew. you go play them instead of gta v if you want better driving experience. also there are plenty of other open world games where i could drive like watch dogs, saints row, just cause etc. also there are plenty of  areas other than roads where you could drive freely like desert, farmlands and grasslands. nobody likes driving through a empty barren mountain. also it is not possible to drive on huge mountains like chiliad without roads.

El Penguin Bobo
8 minutes ago, darksats said:

nobody likes driving through a empty barren mountain.

Aren't mountains empty like in real life though? 

darksats
33 minutes ago, El Penguin Bobo said:

Aren't mountains empty like in real life though? 

No most of the mountains aren't empty. people want mountains with trees and other vegetation which makes them look beautiful and interesting to explore.

Pete4000uk

How about having a forest and a ravine only accessible on a trial bike? 

Mastah
On 6/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, darksats said:

Gta is not only about driving. there are plenty of racing games like nfs, burnout, forza, project cars, gran turismo, the crew. you go play them instead of gta v if you want better driving experience. also there are plenty of other open world games where i could drive like watch dogs, saints row, just cause etc. also there are plenty of  areas other than roads where you could drive freely like desert, farmlands and grasslands. nobody likes driving through a empty barren mountain. also it is not possible to drive on huge mountains like chiliad without roads.

Don't play dumb, no one said GTA is a racing game. But also don't be oblivious to the fact that GTA maps are designed with vehicles in mind, just like RDR are for riding on horses. They won't cater to a minority, who wants to role play as hikers, and create huge untouched wilderness - there are plenty of walking sims for that.

KiwiAlpha
20 minutes ago, Mastah said:

Don't play dumb, no one said GTA is a racing game. But also don't be oblivious to the fact that GTA maps are designed with vehicles in mind, just like RDR are for riding on horses. They won't cater to a minority, who wants to role play as hikers, and create huge untouched wilderness - there are plenty of walking sims for that.

I think San Andreas has excellent wilderness, especially the woods next to the mountain, mostly because it has roads going around it and not through it. It's relatively small compared to GTA V but there is nothing quite as immersive as driving in from the city, parking the car and looking up at the trees. Plus there are plenty of vehicles parked here, so it worked out very well in my opinion.