Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums! (92,466 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

mariana_dm1989

Paleto Forest Discussion

Lioshenka
Posted (edited)

Improvement over ANY Renderware game? Hell no.

Explain this in depth, because it sounds like complete bullcrap to me.

Well, I said it multiple times before, so please excuse the bullet list (also I'm super sleepy, so please likewise excuse the spelling mistakes). I'll try and remember things that annoyed me, but it is not a complete list of course:

GTA 4:

- horrible, horrible boat-like physics (but nice collision models)

- horrible engine sounds that sound like chainsaws

- very poor range of cars. No retro cars, no "special" cars like Harvester or Tractor

- no planes

- no jetpack

- no police bribes

- no paramedic and firefighter missions. Almost no side missions that existed in any of the previous games.

- no traditional police missions

- poor radio selection - chat station was also poor

- unrealistic and annoying grey/orange graphics. Not grey like GTA 3 and orange like SA, but grey and orange that annoy you and make the game world miserable

- very slow menu option switching, long loading

- very, very slow death. The stupid fade into black and white, and then black, the pan out animation - and it can't be skipped

- flying through windscreen from any small bump. Wear the bloody seatbelt, Niko!

- only one city without countryside

- prison extremely difficult to enter to explore

- only 3 safehouses, inability to buy more

- bowling with the kazeen

- black and white radar

- Niko's unhealthy obsession with revenge. I blame poor writing.

- no diving

- very slow Niko's animation: running up and down the stairs, turning on the spot or making a U-turn. For someone who gets so much exercise that much he's movements are not that great.

GTA 5:

- poor radio. Chat stations are complete failures, music selection is a bit better than GTA 4, but mainly due to the number of stations. The overall percentage of good songs is about the same.

- Again, lack of all traditional side missions

- Again, lack of all traditional pick ups

- No jetpack

- Army impossible to enter and explore even as an animal

- need for a constant internet connection to be able to launch the game

- City too monotonous (LC in GTA 4 offered better variety of different areas; LS looks all the same)

- Countryside underused. No big forests, no myths - or, rather, no basis for them due to the lack of wilderness

- map open from beginning

- too much attention to the phone. I want to only be able to pick up phone calls.

- characters all have their faults. None of them are as likable as any of the Renderware protagonists

- ONLINE and having to download EVERY up-date for it even if I don't play it

- very long loading times

- again, only 1 safe house

- too many fancy features: health regeneration, weapons wheel

- menu, again, too slow and complex to navigate. When I press escape I want to see the menu, not the stupid fade out-fade in animation.

- black and white radar

- inability to easily check time and money

- cars don't blow up when overturned

- cars flip back when overturned

- too many damn wild beasts that kill you instantaneously

- too many detailed hills - you can't just drive your 4x4 through the forest. Because eithere there is no forest, or because the terrain requires you to maneuver between the imperfections.

I understand that the things I listed aren't necessarily that vital or liked by the fans, but dropping them all of a sudden looks like a big step back.

Don't get me wrong, GTA 4 has it's moment which I loved; GTA 5 is a game I enjoy and like. But GTA 4 is a step back in every direction compared to any of the previous games, I can't even say that the graphics are better, because they are not. They are annoyingly grey and blurry. GTA 5 is an average, mediocre game that lacks too many of predecessors' features to be considered worthy of a GTA title (but it is a HUGE improvement over GTA 4 with most of the features fixed or improved). It would be fine if it was called something else, but when you have the fantastic worlds of 3, VC and SA, each one a huge leap from the previous one, GTA 5 really scores somewhere around VC - despite having a vastly bigger number of developers, better technology and 10+ years between the release dates.

Edited by Lioshenka

.Smaher.

A good number of those things are entirely your opinion. I could agree with things on that list, and completely disagree with the others. When you said the word improvement, I thought you meant technically, not features that are either take-it-or-leave it, or "could've been, but aren't". To say that it's not an "improvement" compared to the retro GTA games just because they're missing some of your favorite features sounds completely dishonest, since you could've just left it at you thinking the game fails in aspects compared to the others.

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

A good number of those things are entirely your opinion. I could agree with things on that list, and completely disagree with the others. When you said the word improvement, I thought you meant technically, not features that are either take-it-or-leave it, or "could've been, but aren't". To say that it's not an "improvement" compared to the retro GTA games just because they're missing some of your favorite features sounds completely dishonest, since you could've just left it at you thinking the game fails in aspects compared to the others.

100% agree with you. And there are things he says he doesn't like about V I agree with and others I disagree with. On the other hand, while he isn't saying "in my opinion" before or after every criticism, I have the feeling (though not trying to put words in his mouth) that he is fully aware he is expressing opinions. I will repeat for the millionth time that I have no problem at all with people who criticize V or who prefer IV. The only time I take issue with people is when they use words like:

-"IV is objectively better because..." and actually state OPINION not fact.

-"V sucks because of all these reasons and true fans agree..."

-"If you don't like IV's driving, its because you suck!" lol (one of my favorites, actually)

-"IV has an amazing story and V's is weak, and that's not opinion, its fact." (Ok special place in my heat for stupidity like this, too!)

-"Only GTA noobs like V."

And on and on. I could be wrong, but my sense is that Lioshenka is just posting his tastes not trying to convince anyone he is right and they are wrong, like so many in this forum attempt to do. On a side note, something just hit me about Lioshenka's posts, and it makes me genuinely a little sad. It just occurs to me that the people in this forum who hate or heavily criticize V for not being IV at least have IV and the Episodes from 10 years ago. But Lioshenka hates IV and doesn't like V very much! This means that if you discount the PSP games (LCS and VCS, even ported to the PS2) the last time he had a full blown GTA game he enjoyed was in 2005 with San Andreas, which is 13 years ago!

That is really sad to me.

Edited by ChiroVette

.Smaher.

Don't forget "Only GTAOnline kids think V is the best GTA game".

Lioshenka

Rage GTAs are lacking features from the old games and the number of things you could do has been reduced. I can hardly call it an improvement for a sandbox game. Making the graphics nicer is not enough, Mafia, Just Cause and Saints Row have that as well. You need to have a distinctive filler to fill your world with, and that is something that is lacking from GTA 4/5.

.Smaher.

Rage GTAs are lacking features from the old games and the number of things you could do has been reduced. I can hardly call it an improvement for a sandbox game. Making the graphics nicer is not enough, Mafia, Just Cause and Saints Row have that as well. You need to have a distinctive filler to fill your world with, and that is something that is lacking from GTA 4/5.

The features it's lacking are things the games can survive without. Just because they "miss features", doesn't make them ultimately inferior to the older games. Just because there's no get fit sim, and one had multiple cities, doesn't mean they're not improved over the Rage game. The stuff missing from the old games are replaced with stuff either missing from, or improved upon the stuff from the old games. More planes, more helicopters, much more cars, more and better weapons, jobs, properties, animals, robbing stores, car and gun customization, custom license plates, swimming, ped interaction, random events, special abilities, jet skis, Online, first person, way more easter eggs, etc. It looks like you're stretching GTA SA over GTA V since the features you liked didn't make it in. If SA somehow came after V, with graphics being its only improvement, then people would say the same thing about SA. Actually outweigh what the old GTA games do against the new ones, and let me show you how much of a misconception thinking "graphics" is V's only noticeable improvement really is.

The bottom line is that if you feel you need a distinctive filler for a GTA game, then that's either true, or you aren't using your imagination enough to have fun.

RedDagger

Remember kiddos, this is a paleto forest discussion thread, try to keep it steered in that direction :santa:

Thanks!