• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• icecoldkilla1467

• -7-

• ciel

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After reading W3BB13's rant thing in the "rate the song above you" thread as to how "It's not like any of us really care what others think of the music that we listen to, I decided" and "nor do any of

I'm having a fairly tense morning so far, so I decided to stick something familiar on.

I know the successor to this album (In The Aeroplane Over The Sea) has achieved meme status amongst the folk rock bleeding hearts but I prefer this album. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album and I enjoy it but this feels like the prequel to something great, like everything here has been building up to what is undeniably their highest point. So much so in fact that frontman Jeff Mangum/Magnum (delete as applicable) couldn't handle it and disappeared off the face of the planet for a while. The only thing that annoys me about this album is it's truly a product of the 90s where it was the done thing to fill as much as the CD runtime as possible, and there's nothing that screams "bloat" more than a 13 minute song sat uncomfortably in between these frankly twee and relatively concise folk rock songs. Even the title (Pree-Sisters Swallowing A Donkey's Eye) is obnoxious. I don't care how disgusting the idea is, it doesn't take that long to swallow a donkey's eye.

Naughtius Maximus

I have a keen interest in Faces these days. As far as I listened them, I'd say that they were pretty much of a pioneer band for that hard and catchy bluesy rock sound. Although my favourite is Bad 'n' Ruin, this song here is probably their hardest, edgiest song...

4 hours ago, Rebel Yell said:

I have a keen interest in Faces these days. As far as I listened them, I'd say that they were pretty much of a pioneer band for that hard and catchy bluesy rock sound. Although my favourite is Bad 'n' Ruin, this song here is probably their hardest, edgiest song...

Faces - Borstal Boys

Love love Small Faces and Faces. 

I'm currently sifting through some Boards Of Canada snippets from unreleased projects and wondering what could have been. There are three EPs that might even pre-date the use of their name Boards Of Canada that are of interest to me - Play By NumbersHooper Bay and Acid Memories. There's artwork and track information for them but the legitimacy is questionable. As I said, some of this stuff is before BoC even used the name and at one point they were a trio, not a duo, and they drew heavy influences from the independent shoegaze genre at the time. This is heard mostly in this snippet, which so far is the only confirmed piece of music from the EP.

It makes me think that somebody out there has these, and is sitting on them out of respect for them. These releases were only circulated around friends and family, so all it takes is one drunken argument at a wedding before they come out. Part of me doesn't even want to hear them. I like the intrigue.

• Like 1

@Rhoda I have been meaning to listen to Boards Of Canada for the longest time now. I was going to listen to their album Geogaddi the other day but never came to doing so. Might listen to it today or something. 

Talking Heads - I'm Not In Love / More Songs About Buildings And Food (1978)

• Like 3
20 hours ago, gig said:

I have been meaning to listen to Boards Of Canada for the longest time now. I was going to listen to their album Geogaddi the other day but never came to doing so. Might listen to it today or something. 

@gigMake it happen. The Campfire Headphase to me is probably their most "accessible" but you could try In A Beautiful Place In The Country ep. It's pretty much captures the whole essence of Boards..' on the that EP. Also, if you want to ascribe some meaning to the music, that EP is inspired by cults and Branch Dividians. Apparently they stayed in in Waco compound, Texas in the mid 90's as guest of Amo Bishop Roden wife of former leader of the Branch Dividians. She went to war with David Koresh over control/leader of Waco/Branch Dividians. Boards of Canada even named a track after her. They aren't religious, I think their fascination with the sort of mystery cults inspires their music.  

They're really interesting as a musical group, not just for their music but for he almost mysterious persona around them. They don't play live and little is much known about them compared to other artists. They don't do interviews often. And you should read about the marketing they did for their last album. Releasing white label records on record store day in 6 different cities around the world, each one with a part of a code which was a riddle to that lead to people eventually decoding it and finding geo-coordinates that led to a listening party of the new album in a desert and or the title of the album.  Here's a detailed account of this huge easter-egg hunt. It's quite elaborate. I don't know how they figured it out. Have to read it again myself. 

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Cosecha_Transmisiones

Geogaddi is a great start. Lots of their music is said to have hidden meanings. Enjoy the music for what it is, but if you look for more it's there. 

This is a Smashing Pumpkins classic. Pity it was left off Melon Collie.. ' 

Edited by Mister Pink

Wild Planet — One of my favourite post-punk albums of all time. "53 Miles West Of Venus" is such a great track.

The B-52's - Wild Planet (1980) (Playlist)

• Like 2