3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Indi

Better Call Saul!

Hobo Rocket

That's one of the aspects I'm really enjoying about this show so far, how it's really just its own entity with strands of Breaking Bad's DNA strewn about. It can just as easily be enjoyed without having seen the other series first.

happygrowls

Well, there goes Marco. Wow, I mean he got lots of development over the course of the episode but. They really had to kill him off huh? All the coughing throughout.

Better Call Saul's first season brought life back into a finished canon, hopefully Season Two will be more about that first scene we saw in "Uno".

TropicThunder

It was a pretty good episode and ending in my opinion.

I loved the scamming montage.

Also eager to see Saul Goodman in the next season.

I think that they should have made Jimmy had the conversation with the guys wanting to hire him. While they were talking they would have said how much effort the case would take and maybe the last of the conversation that we would have seen was one of these two persons telling Jimmy something like: 'Who knows? Maybe in 5 years you'll be making yor first million' Before the scene changing to the one Jimmy is speeding away.

Edited by TropicThunder

DeeperRed

I don't know if I'm won over yet. I am treating it as if breaking bad never existed, so it's just above average for me right now. Tad slow for my tastes, and quite self-indulgent with some of its scenes. I enjoyed it though, and it's beautifully shot. Hope season 2 picks up the pace a bit.

Otter

I get what you mean about self indulgent - but then I watch an episode of Mad Men. Talk about up it's own ass.

I think what's really cool is that Vince Gilligan seemingly has carte blanche, and because he's a fantastic storyteller, we all really get to reap the benefits. I'll take a few over indulgent scenes for that.

Tonally, the show is so unique that it really defies comparison to anything else out there. Which is great in my book.

DeeperRed

Yeah you can definitely see that Vince can do what he wants. He is an amazing storyteller, and does create a great unique atmosphere for the show with its very own tone. However such creative control is a double edge sword because some scenes just run on far too long. I think I'm just super anal about pacing, something which clearly Vince likes too take slow and relaxed. I do like the show, I love the characters but I just wish bigger stuff was going on, faster with a larger overall plot arc. Though no doubt it will come in season 2.

Edited by DeeperRed

ryanhunter_rfc

You have got to remember though, it's not a movie where the story is only 2 hours long so it will have a lot of filler in a few episodes.

DeeperRed

Just because its a TV show doesn't mean it needs filler episodes at all. That's just poor television. I don,t even think any of these episodes have been filler, just slow paced.

Otter

I have made entire episodes of World Doctors shorter than some of Saul's shots, so yeah, I get what you mean. When I was an editor I'd never give myself - or be allowed to give myself - that much breathing room. Again, I think it's refreshing and we know it's a very conscious decision - so it's interesting to think about in terms of the larger... uh... ecology? of shows out there today.

Looking forward to the show evolving with Saul. I really dug the scamming montage and I hope we're treated to more film homage like that and experimental filmmaking. So fun.

CJ killed Ryder

Hope they'll create a post-Breaking Bad scene about Kevin Costner getting arrested after being mistaken for Saul Goodman. :)

SimsDaniel916

Once Better Call Saul heads to Netflix, it will be in 4K! 4K along with the fantastic cinematography will make for a fantastic viewing experience so I can't wait.

bread

Spoilers ahead.

I for one am fine with the pace this show it's going. Everything is setting up so well. Somehow Gilligan, Gould and all the other fantastic writers on the team have managed to make a finale that brings Saul to his big realization at the end, when he looks at Marco's ring finger and looks east (I don't know if this is that symbolic, but with all the symbolism in this show i.e the confirmed 'blue and red' theory I would not be surprised), drives away and hums to Smoke On the Water. His realization that he could ditch Davis & Main, ditch his chance to show himself that he's actually worthy in the world of law, and prove himself he's not the Slippin' Jimmy of the past.

Jimmy, for the life of him, tries to be a great lawyer and prove to his (douchebag) brother that he's actually someone worthy to work with, especially with a big case (i.e sandpiper crossings). That doesn't work out very well, and Chuck finally lets Jimmy know what he really feels about him. From this point onward, Jimmy begins to lose his confidence. He takes his feelings out on the elders at the bingo game. He breaks down, he goes to Chicago, meets up with a good friend and scams away, feeding money off of irregulars at the bar him and Marco tend to hang out at on a daily basis. He was great at it. Marco was great at it. It's what they were best at - being criminals. After the unfortunate event happening in Chicago, Jimmy heads back to ABQ and realizes that he could have taken all that money from the Ketllemans. He realizes that he doesn't need Davis & Main. He knows he can do things his own way, even if it means breaking the law. Enter Saul Goodman.

I did not expect the show to be this good. I've watched Breaking Bad when it aired, still my favorite show of all time and I still re-watch some of my favorite episodes on Netflix now and then. But when I heard of a spin-off on Saul Goodman I said "alright". I never really thought about it that much. I just thought it would be some silly comedy show. Something I wouldn't take so seriously. Now it's not so much of a comedy anymore now. It never was some comedy show. I question myself as to why it's given the spin off title anyways. This show is so different from Breaking Bad and there isn't really that much to compare it to, and that just shows how enjoyable it can be, even for people who've never watched Breaking Bad before (I feel like it's a bigger treat for them as they don't know at all what happens to Mike in BB, whereas we all know he's gonna die). Gilligan and Gould are just absolute geniuses. The symbolism, cinematography and storytelling in this show are unparalleled.

The one thing I disliked about this show, and I hope everyone agrees with this, is that Michael Mando did not get much screen time, and I would have loved that. There was so much hype around him, even well towards the end, but he just didn't appear. Hopefully Nacho & Co. appear more often in season 2, as well as Gustavo Fring. Overall, best show of 2015 I've seen so far.

CrysisAverted

BetterCallSaul used to have a fake website that was hilarious, anyone know if it was removed cuz I can't find it anymore

CJ killed Ryder

Once Better Call Saul heads to Netflix, it will be in 4K! 4K along with the fantastic cinematography will make for a fantastic viewing experience so I can't wait.

It already is on Netflix. I don't know abt USA but in Europe it is.

Edited by CJ killed Ryder

SimsDaniel916

It's not available on US Netflix yet. The US normally doesn't receive TV Seasons until shortly before the new season releases sadly.

CJ killed Ryder

It's not available on US Netflix yet. The US normally doesn't receive TV Seasons until shortly before the new season releases sadly.

I understand.

But putting it on Netflix for people outside USA one day after USA release was a smart move. It stops people who are not patient enough to wait for DVD-release from illegal downloading, and it's good to be able to watch it earlier.

CJ killed Ryder

Hope they'll create a post-Breaking Bad scene about Kevin Costner getting arrested after being mistaken for Saul Goodman. :)

Wrote this on Twitter and Peter Gould retweeted it. :)

Very cool!!!

Edited by CJ killed Ryder

Target13

Its kinda sad cause we know that Jimmy will never become the lawyer he wanted to become.

Instead he will become Saul Goodman. The laughing stock in Breaking Bad.

BrownBear

So without ruining anything (I still haven't finished BB), how similar are the two shows? Is it still based around crime etc.?

Craig Kostelecky

It definitely feels like the same show with the focus just being on Saul. If you liked his scenes in Breaking Bad, you'll love this show. Mike has some great moments too.

Mr. Scratch

CrysisAverted

Now we need the clip where Mike takes all those guns from Trevor to show how our GTA characters can carry so many.

Edited by CrysisAverted

Mr. Scratch

Your wish is my command.

Mr Rabbit

I loved this series, made me go back and watch Breaking Bad again. cannot wait for season 2

also f*ck chuck with a barbed-wire-wrapped 10 foot spiked pole. I hope vaas kills him

Its kinda sad cause we know that Jimmy will never become the lawyer he wanted to become.

Instead he will become Saul Goodman. The laughing stock in Breaking Bad.

Rich laughing stock.

But he also becomes a manager at a cinebon in omaha

Edited by Mr Rabbit

IDredMan

Wait... That was the season finale? Seriously?

Well... BB had abrupt season finales aswell..

lol232

Well, since Better Call Saul Season 2 is about to begin soon enough, I wanna talk about the S1 finale - I liked it. Didn't leave me wondering like Breaking Bad, we somehow know what's gonna happen, but not exactly how.

Anyone else hyped for Season 2?

CrysisAverted

I can't wait for Season 2, its so close.

8eadbe17cfe4a3ec5771089778a09113.jpeg

feels Goodman

Edited by CrysisAverted

Legomanarthur

Just finished watching Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul for the second time, can't wait for season two! :D

The thing I'm the most interested in is the timeline, like the show starts before BB but then will continue during BB's events and then after, I'm really interested in how they will do that, and especially after BB story.

darthYENIK

Watching the marathon.

Those Chuck scenes where he is acting happy for Jimmy for passing the bar or anything are brutal with hindsight.

Edited by darthYENIK