3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Indi

Better Call Saul!

epoxi

I agree, we have Tuco who we know was a key player in the town before Walter White came along, I would much prefer to see how him and his crew got there as opposed to gimmicky attempts to re-live the lives of Breaking Bad's characters.

Predator

i wanna see tuco in prison with skinny pete

TheFoxRiverFugitive

A much more entertaining episode tonight, great all around. I was hoping Saul would do the right thing and turn them in, but from the preview it looks like he takes a bribe and keeps his mouth shut. LOVED every part Mike was on-screen, I have a feeling his role will only be getting bigger from here on out.

unopieceo

I didnt start watching this show with high hopes because I never thought it could be as good as breaking bad. I thought the first episode was a bit slow but after watching the second last night I reckon this show could stand shoulder to shoulder with BB by the end of the season. Hooked already.

ll rdny ll

People need to understand that even though this is a spin-off of Breaking Bad, it's survival relies on its ability to make it's own name.

Look at Frasier. It was a spin-off of Cheers, and is probably one of the most successful spin-offs ever created. Sure, some characters from Cheers showed up occasionally, but overall it was it's own show with it's own ideas, characters, and events.

The cameos are great, it's fun to see certain characters pop up here and there, but we don't need to see every single character from Breaking Bad. Mike and Saul had a pretty good relationship in Breaking Bad, they want to explore what brought that on, which explains why Mike is there. It seems like Tuco was unnecessary, it seems that he was just there to introduce Nacho.

I'm not saying that no more characters from Breaking Bad should pop up, I enjoy the appearances as much as the next fan. But, I'd rather form new feelings for new characters instead of rehashing existing feelings for existing characters.

Edited by ll rdny ll

Mr. Scratch

I'm getting a real Fargo vibe from it so far. It just feels very similar in style.

Tikhung

I'm getting a real Fargo vibe from it so far. It just feels very similar in style.

Well both show have Bob Odenkirk in it...

Mr. Scratch

I was talking about the cinematography.

Tikhung

I was talking about the cinematography.

I know, my post was just a joke on how Bob Odenkirk appears on both show, ya know?

Edited by Tikhung

Mr. Scratch

"Wife made spaghetti for dinner, seems a shame to barf it up"

Honestly Fargo can easily compete with BrBd or BCS.

RedMachete

I'm loving the cinematography in this like I did in Breaking Bad. The unusual camera angles makes the mundane seem interesting.

CJ killed Ryder

Well both show have Bob Odenkirk in it...

And both shows have Julie Ann Emery.

Mr. Scratch

I smell a crossover.

For people who are too lazy to look it up.

Edited by Mr.Scratch

TheFoxRiverFugitive

I love Jonathan Banks.

Gouveia

Just watched the "Nacho" episode. I'm liking this very, very much so far.

It resembles Breaking Bad, while it doesn't seem to need to base itself on the BrBa way too often.

Johan

Just finished watching the newest episode, definitely my favorite one.. despite me saying the same thing about episode 2. Shows just how much I'm loving the show as the weeks pass by, I also sounds like a spinning record here but once again Mike is still amazing. Can't wait to see how more involved he gets throughout the season.

Ciaran

I lol'd when Saul bust opened the tent and shouted "HERE'S JOHNNY!"

Jonesizzle

Do the Cattleman's live in the same cul de sac as the Shcrader's? Kinda looked familiar, but couldn't place my finger on it.

IDredMan

Doot doot doot do-doot. I'M LOVIN' IT!

Gouveia

Do the Cattleman's live in the same cul de sac as the Shcrader's? Kinda looked familiar, but couldn't place my finger on it.

Doesn't look like so. If I recall correctly, the Schrader's lived in a more isolated area.

Jonesizzle

Not really, they lived in a neighborhood, with the desert in their backyard. (like the Cattlemans)

Probably just looking into it to hard. After watching the BB series 2 and a half times, I think I'm trying a little to hard looking out for Breaking Bad references.

Edited by DOOM!

Brobinski

I'm really enjoying this at the moment. I thought the first episode wasn't that great. It was well produced but seemed to be making Saul a much more pitiable and tragic case than I would have enjoyed watching, but thankfully we're already seeing more and more Saul and less Jimmy so I'm sticking with it.

Two thing that I've already been told I'm overthinking though about the last episode. The first can be explained away, but the second is one that I cannot see going uncovered in the show. The first being why the cops were so convinced Nacho was the only possible culprit. I know the evidence was pretty compelling (the licence plate and the as yet unidentified blood) but if someone is charged with having stolen $1.6m then they're going to get targeted by a lot of shady people. Nacho didn't have any inside info, so it could have been assumed that multiple criminal interests were watching the Kettlemans. It just irked me a little that they were so closed off to the idea that it could possibly have been someone else. But y'know, TV cops, evidence, perilous circumstances yadda yadda, that works even if it annoyed me.

Second is the issue of the money. The physical money itself. Mr Kettleman was the county treasurer or equivalent right? And he's been accused of stealing this huge sum of money from the state. Then it appears in cash? It just seems crazy to me that he'd have it in cash, considering how no government office will ever actually use cash in pretty much any transaction. Kettleman could have sequestered the money away in some secret account(s) via some accounting magic, but taking that amount of cash out, even in multiple withdrawals, is going to flag up somewhere and Mr Kettleman wouldn't be free to frolic around in the woods.

I'm not usually the "Itchy strikes the same rib twice and gets two different notes" guy, but considering all the emphasis BB had on laundering and the benefits of a small amount of clean banked money vs huge amount of dirty cash, it's hard to believe this is going to be handwaved away. The only problem then being that the Kettlemans are likely fleeting characters, so going into the specifics of it will be be uninteresting and pointless. Unless this is where Saul learns all his laundering skills I guess.

Edited by Brobinski

darthYENIK
MdL1uyb.png

TJGM

Watched the first two episodes and half of the third episode yesterday, it's looking pretty good so far.

My only very minor problem with it so far is the flash-forward at the beginning of episode one and the flashback at the beginning of episode three feel a little out of place, I feel like I'll forget about them by the time they actually become more important in the story, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Other than that, I'm loving it so far. Bob Odenkirk is doing an amazing job as Jimmy/Saul and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

SimsDaniel916

Watched the first two episodes and half of the third episode yesterday, it's looking pretty good so far.My only very minor problem with it so far is the flash-forward at the beginning of episode one and the flashback at the beginning of episode three feel a little out of place, I feel like I'll forget about them by the time they actually become more important in the story, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.Other than that, I'm loving it so far. Bob Odenkirk is doing an amazing job as Jimmy/Saul and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

It's the same type of flash forward that we saw in Breaking Bad where once that moment occurred in real time, they would somewhat replay the scene so forgetting it shouldn't be an issue.

Brobinski

Watched the first two episodes and half of the third episode yesterday, it's looking pretty good so far.My only very minor problem with it so far is the flash-forward at the beginning of episode one and the flashback at the beginning of episode three feel a little out of place, I feel like I'll forget about them by the time they actually become more important in the story, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.Other than that, I'm loving it so far. Bob Odenkirk is doing an amazing job as Jimmy/Saul and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

It's the same type of flash forward that we saw in Breaking Bad where once that moment occurred in real time, they would somewhat replay the scene so forgetting it shouldn't be an issue.

You guys talk as if anything happened in the flash-forward. Literally nothing happened. That's not a bad thing. It was simply character moments, not plot points. The entire black and white sequence was just to show us what Saul becomes. He works a boring, thankless job. He is scared and on edge all the time. He is scared of people finding out about his past, so much so that he waits until the middle of the night and closes all the blinds before he puts in the tape, the tape that he keeps hidden away at the bottom of a box in the back of a closet. That he kept the tape and that he, presumably routinely, watches it illustrates that he misses it. It might have nearly killed him, but he preferred that life over the current one. He liked it. He was good at it. He was really alive.

Now he just gets to live the rest of his life as a schnook.

SimsDaniel916

You guys talk as if anything happened in the flash-forward.

Not sure about TJGM, but I was referencing flash forwards in general, not just the Cinnabon/Video watching scene in particular.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was browsing Amazon Instant Video and got really excited when I saw that Better Call Saul was available in 4K up until I saw it was $4 per episode rather than being available via Prime Video.

Ended up buying the latest episode (Nacho) but will have to wait until it's on Prime Video and/or Netflix to watch anymore in 4K. :panic:

Edited by SimsDaniel916

TheMckeever

Really enjoying that it ain't half as serious as BB!

uncut751

i like new episod