2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
HOW'S ANNIE?

In terms of story, which was worse: TBOGT or GTA V?

In terms of story, which was worse? TBOGT or V?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of story, which was worse?

• Ballad of Gay Tony
    • GTA V

TheDeaconBosco

As others have said, TBoGT was mainly designed as bit of mindless entertainment to contrast with the grime tones of the main game and the first expansion and accomplished just that.

GTA V's story just fell short somewhere around the middle, as soon as the 3 protags started to work together, after all 3 of their masterfully crafted introductions, GTA IV's story only felt dull (to me obviously) when Niko got to work with Pegorino and then picked up at the last stretch.

None of the Antagonists in the later part of GTA V besides Steve F*ckin' Haines (who they gave a most unsatisfying death, it has to be said) were really fleshed out. Devin Weston was on his way to become just that, but he doesn't do anything that hateful besides being condescending, screwing over Frank by not paying for his damn cars, and trying to destroy *Michael's* movie, The Chengs got snuffed out before even having a freaking chance to develop as characters, Stretch was simply out the gangs lead.

wiizardii

TBOGT compared to GTA V is pretty bad.. I think GTA V's, But I liked TBOGT. This is what I think about it

Pretty good story, nothing big

Awesome online mode! ( I Had alot of fun)

Worst protagonist ever.

Alec Skorpio

The Ballad of Gay Tony was a lot worse

Like, I still don't even know what the point was. I'm pretty sure the story went through a lot of changes because almost nothing set up in GTA IV was used in it outside of the diamonds and bank job.

Blingy

TBoGT kept me entertained, and had a bitchin' ending. It had awesome characters, (although some of them were annoying), and some of the missions were annoying as well. Overall though, it satisfied me as a DLC. It filled the gap that I was looking for, and it (to me) is still one of the best DLC's that came out for the 360. V's storyline, after I struggled to keep my attention on it, made me aggravated. After I finished it, I felt like I had a premature finish. I saw the credits roll, and I literally said out loud "wait... that's it? That's the end of the game? What the f*ck?!" I dunno, I felt like V's storyline was wicked lame. Usually I go through each game more than once (GTAIV I went through about 7, or 8 times because I loved everything about it. Same with TBoGT.) I've yet to re-do V's storyline, and to be honest I really don't even want to. The storyline for V in my opinion was so f*cking annoying. I think I thoroughly enjoyed maybe 10 missions out of the 70 available.

gunziness

I didnt play gtav but i dont understand people hating on tbogt's story and its protag luis. i just finished the storyline for the 3rd time a few days ago and i realized i love it even more now, i mean its decent, not many plotholes (for not saying none) as people claims it to have, interesting characters (apart from mori, but gave luis 2 great missions), and not linear missions like gtaiv's which turned up to be repetitive in less than 50% of progress.

The vibe also fits LC, but people still seems to be attached to the gritty feel from its both predecessors.

But hey, its all about opinions.

Edited by GúnZinEss

Hodgey.

I'd say that TBoGT had the worse storyline but then again it was only a add on game.

I do like both storylines though.

Jimbatron

I think either the jibes at "the entitled generation" in GTA V either escaped some people completely or were just to close to the bone.

There's an argument that you just can't please some people, and if that were up for trial, a lot of the posts on this forum would be combined to form Exhibit A.

Seriously? How negative can we get around here. They were both enjoyable, fun stories for me, with interesting characters, and good dialogue. Believeability may have been stretched at times in both, but that didn't spoil the enjoyment for me, like most movies.

Alvarez

I share the opinion that you can't compare a DLC with a full-fledged game.

But i think that Luis storyline was kind of more fleshed out rather than, let's say, Trevors. When we speak of TBOGT as a third of a game, Luis has the advantage of interacting with familiar characters and surroundings, giving the gamer some "hey, i saw that guy earlier" or "geez, that was THEM in that cutscene, gotta replay GTA4 again!" moments. And Luis has his roots buried deeper in his business with Tony, rather than Trevor.

Trevor moves rather fast past his contacts and they tend also to die and not reappear again, what is a miss IMHO in the terms of storywriting. It's kind of a scenery for him, a backdrop. Instead, he gets implanted rather fast in the heist story that revolves around the Trio Infernale and leaves Sandy Shores businesses behind.

AnDReJ98

Thought TBoGT is expansion pack, i still can say it has worse story than V. Also worst protagonist in the whole series and somewhat out of theme IMO (compared to IV & TLaD).

Edited by AnDReJ98

woggleman

Both games are great and have better stories than the people obsessed with darkness and realism give them credit for. V really has a deeper than many people give it credit for.

Mr. Rocko

The Ballad of Gay Tony sucked. It was only liked by some people because of the Buzzard, Bullet GT, Clubs, Parachutes, and the fact the DLC added more vibrant colors to the game. GTA V's story sucked too, I'll go with TBoGT being worse.

Edited by Mr. Rocko

woggleman

The Ballad of Gay Tony sucked. It was only liked by some people because of the Buzzard, Bullet GT, Clubs, Parachutes, and the fact the DLC added more vibrant colors to the game. GTA V's story sucked too, I'll go with TBoGT being worse.

People like it because it brought some color and fun to the game. It had great missions and did a great job showing the NYC nightlife. The nightclubs were the best in the GTA series. One thing that did let me down about V was the lack of nightclubs. We should have had some interiors like TBOGT.

RyanBurnsRed

People like it because it brought some color and fun to the game. It had great missions and did a great job showing the NYC nightlife. The nightclubs were the best in the GTA series. One thing that did let me down about V was the lack of nightclubs. We should have had some interiors like TBOGT.

This. For a city based off of LA, the lack of night clubs is disappointing <-- understatement right there.

I would have at least liked SOME activities from TBOGT in V like air hockey and dancing, but no... none of that.

I love TBOGT because it is colorful, it is fun, and I loved the story because it was entertaining. It filled quite a few gaps relating to IV's main story. I mean, after playing both, it's easy to make the connections between the two (and with TLAD) and say "oh yeah!"

Edited by RyanBurnsRed

VercettiCrimeFamily

I don't really think you can compare Tbogt with GTA V's story Tbogt was more of a DLC to me,

but hey It's just my opinion.

mariana_dm1989

hahaha i like how you compare a main gta story with a gta dlc story....

well, i have to say that ballad of gay tony was bad, but gta v is not far behind....it is like a longer version of ballad of gay tony.

Osho

I wonder, why people don't use some common sense when making polls?

Bringing up comparisons that make no sense at all.

Not voting, still for topics sake, TBOGT was far more tolerable than GTA V --storywise.

Nameless Foot Soldier

I'll say it before and I'll say it again. I didn't think The Ballad of Gay Tony was at all crazy and sh*tty. Either in terms of story or characters. They were all well designed and I am honestly confused on how anyone has issues with it. I think everything of GTA IV and its DLCs were some of the best written works of last decade.

And no, I don't love TBoGT for its "crazy" weapons and parachutes. I honestly love the characters and the story. Infact, TBoGT was what inspired me to start digging deeper into GTA's stories for deeper meanings. Then that moved to shows, movies, music, books. I owe a lot to TBoGT because I love that story to death.

I think either the jibes at "the entitled generation" in GTA V either escaped some people completely or were just to close to the bone.

There's an argument that you just can't please some people, and if that were up for trial, a lot of the posts on this forum would be combined to form Exhibit A.

Seriously? How negative can we get around here. They were both enjoyable, fun stories for me, with interesting characters, and good dialogue. Believeability may have been stretched at times in both, but that didn't spoil the enjoyment for me, like most movies.

I'm interested in what you mean by "the entitled generation". Please, explain more, I want to know. Edited by Andreas
Merged double post.

SCOOBASTEEB

BoGT is worse purely because it is largely the same as TLaD and is in the same city. Drive here, drive there, maybe shoot someone here, drive back there. At least V is in a brilliantly alive environment and the missions are superb. The Cargo plane mission for example, or the Humane Labs mission are so different and exciting. The fact that the characters also have personalities in V IMO makes the story a lot better. TBoGT was only playable for me because it added a few cars and had nightclubs.

BLOOD

BoGT is worse purely because it is largely the same as TLaD and is in the same city. Drive here, drive there, maybe shoot someone here, drive back there. At least V is in a brilliantly alive environment and the missions are superb. The Cargo plane mission for example, or the Humane Labs mission are so different and exciting. The fact that the characters also have personalities in V IMO makes the story a lot better. TBoGT was only playable for me because it added a few cars and had nightclubs.

Exactly.but just because TLAD and TBoGT uses the same city as GTA 4 doesnt mean they are not different,TLAD was a Gang Themed (Biker Focus)game and it visuals is so different from TBoGT and GTA 4,it had a Dirty,Grainy and Bad-ass Colour Palette,plus there are new weapons,gameplay mechanics and different Storylines for each.TBoGT transformed LC into a Vice City-esque,Pinkish and Colourful places.plus Nightclubs,Cage Fights,Champagne Battles etc.and again TLAD and TBoGT are counted as games because they both are Episodes and also compiled into a Stand-alone Disc.but yeah GTA 5 is better than both.

KevinR1990

It's hard to compare GTA V and The Ballad of Gay Tony on equal terms, given that the former was a full $60 game and the latter was a $20 expansion pack/side story. I didn't expect a great story from BoGT, but I did expect a great complement to the story of GTA IV. With V, I was expecting greatness, just like I did with IV.

So, with those criteria and expectations in mind, I felt that V had a worse story than BoGT. I was not disappointed with BoGT's story. It didn't reach the heights of IV or The Lost and Damned, but even discounting the new gameplay features (remember: we're just talking story here), it was still a fun game with interesting characters and a fresh take on a well-worn setting that we hadn't seen before. It was a fulfilling finish to the Impossible Trinity, closing off loose ends from IV and TLaD while also standing alone as a good game in its own right.

V, on the other hand, was one of my biggest disappointments with a game story-wise. Franklin and Trevor felt like side-characters in what was largely Michael's story, and motivations changed repeatedly throughout the course of the game. First Michael's robbing a jewelry store to get out of debt to Madrazo, then the feds are bossing him and Franklin around (all while Franklin's own story concerning the Families and the Ballas is dropped almost entirely), then Trevor gets involved, and it all ends in an anti-climax. On a purely technical level the game is a masterpiece, but the story, and the writing in general, is its single greatest failing.

Looking back, I felt the exact same way watching American Horror Story: Coven these past several months. They both had the same fundamental problem -- they were incredibly stylish and fun to watch and play, from start to finish, but the stories were jumbled, directionless messes that fell apart midway through and just barely limped over the finish line, sucking out any lasting satisfaction and impact.

Tacymist

V had a great start but once you get to where you have to do stuff for the feds, I start to lose interest. The missions were still fun, but the storyline gets less interesting after that point.

That said, TBOGT gets my vote. Because V had a very strong start, and TBOGT just didn't have any points in the story that ever stuck out to me.

Tycek

IMO, The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned together couldn't beat V's story.

Now, come at me Nobum, SOL, Drunken Cowboy and Tycek. :p

I'm ready for all of you.

Oh look, sad clown tries to attack again. Your posts are not even worth reading let alone answering.

Doublepulse

I think it is pretty obvious that having 3 protagonists to switch from ruined the story and immersion a bit. When Trevor came along, it broke any connection you had with the characters and story, but maybe that was one of their purposes.

The Ballad of Gay Tony on the other hand..not a whole lot to say about it,I love seeing the cross overs between characters and felt they did a nice job filling in any gaps on underdeveloped characters, plus new ones.

Yea poll is not very good, but I have to go with TboGT, just because it is only an expansion

Captain Arthur

Oh look, sad clown tries to attack again. Your posts are not even worth reading let alone answering.

Oh. Oh. AH.

My heart. It broke. I'm extremely offended. :(

Y'know, it's funny that once SOL liked my reply to you in that topic, you suddenly disappeared. Talk about cowardly.

Tycek

What? I definitely not disappeared because someone decided to like your post. Like I give a damn about that. I don't see a point in debating with a troll, so I left. Simple as that.

Let's cut the bullsh*t and get back on topic.

Edited by Tycek

Captain Arthur

What? I definitely not disappeared because someone decided to like your post. Like I give a damn about that. I don't see a point in debating with a troll, so I left. Simple as that.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure.

Oh, and troll? Again?

I'll just leave this here:

Stop trolling if you got nothing else to add. All your recent posts are based exactly on the same plot - to say exact opposite. That wasn't funny even for the first time, not to mention at least 47th.

I'm doing nothing but expressing my opinion. If you think that I'm trolling or something then ignore me. It's the first time I've heard that people can't express their opinions in a damn forum. A troll is a person that posts something that doesn't contribute to the topic. If I was really a troll then I would have said something like "Fuk all of them Niko suks, Tommy suks, Cluade suks." etc.

If my posts anger and annoy you so much just because I have a different opinion than you, then I suggest you put me on the ignore list as I am not going to stop "Trolling" as you call it. I apologize if I offended you by saying V is better than IV.

One more thing, you think that my recent posts are crap? Well, excuse me, sir, I've just been expressing my own opinion and it seems like you are the only person who holds a grudge, every other person thinks the opposite. Hell, I even asked once in the Awards discussion topic if anyone thought that I was a troll and people said no I'm not.

That's all I can say to you and also, good bye and don't bother replying as this'll be the last time I respond to you.

Good bye, Tycek, and this time, for good. It's my damn fault for trying to befriend you.

To the mods, don't worry, this is the last time I reply to him.

Detective Phelps

The Ballard of g Tony, because it is a DLC, not a "full game", if you know what I mean.

GTA V's story is better than both G Tony's and Tlad's in my opinion, mainly due to heists.

Edited by Los Santos Police Department

Hardcore Savage

They're about even. TBoGT has a better story while GTA V has better characters.

Peachrocks

I think the potential of GTA V's storyline was better though neither Ballad or GTA V came close to meeting it. However I think GTA V was worse, especially considering the fact it's a full game and Ballad was merely an add on.

Ballad was intended to be some fun and lols with random overpowered weapons and allowing some bling here and there.The problems with it are mostly due to Luis' inconsistency and the fact he does the opposite to what he says. He's just rather underdeveloped and parts of it felt rushed.

GTA V however was worse in this regard. There have been many topics on how underdeveloped Franklin was and the fact they couldn't seem to decide where to take the character and how underdeveloped his supporting cast was.

Trevor just causes so many problems with the plot for the sake of creating a lol look at me I'm random character that he alone wrecks the entire plot and makes it full of plot holes. At least you cannot say that for Luis Lopez, boring, inconsistent, difficult to see where he stands okay sure but he's not a walking plot hole.

Sure but he doesn't come close to Trevor's wrecking ball on the plot and with a bit of changes here and there Luis was definitely salvageable in my opinion. Trevor on the other hand, was a concept that was doomed from the start in terms of a solid plot, he is a living black hole to a good plot.

Then you have the whole FIB thing. The heists were the big pumped up thing for the game but the FIB are involved in half of these and damage the sense of reward and in one case you get diddly squat. There's a good way to do the whole 'government conspiracy' thing and this is NOT it.

You do not make the player someone's bitch, especially in a GTA game or if you do it's short lived and the player gets vengeance or gets on more even terms like Johnny and Stubbs do, this lasted practically the entire plot.

So in conclusion, Ballad was salvageable, it was merely rushed in parts and didn't quite add up as well as having Luis and his supporting cast being rather underdeveloped, quite similar to Franklin as a matter a fact. GTA V however was not salvageable mostly because of Trevor and the FIB. It's those parts where Ballad isn't actually 'that' bad the parts where I see it's true potential. In GTA V this is only at the start before Franklin gets the big house and basically loses his role in the plot and before Trevor or the FIB come into the story at all.

Edited by Peachrocks

Alec Skorpio

I find it funny when people say you can't compare TBoGT because it was an add on because I think The Lost and Damned had a far better storyline than GTAIV and GTAV.

Edited by liquidussnake119