2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
HOW'S ANNIE?

In terms of story, which was worse: TBOGT or GTA V?

In terms of story, which was worse? TBOGT or V?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of story, which was worse?

• Ballad of Gay Tony
    • GTA V

HOW'S ANNIE?

It seems as if both TBOGT and V are the most criticised when it comes to story and characters. So it leads me to ask, which did you think was worse?

universetwisters

GTA 5 to me. Sure, the beginning parts were good up until they stopped acting like criminals and more like servants to the feds.

That's why I rushed through the plot so I don't have to deal with it and go right to roaming about the map.

OOM 313

GTA V is absolute garbage

Corvallis5

GTA V, too inconsistent and the endings SUCKED (GTA V was amazing besides that though). Ballad of Gay tony might not have been heartbreaking and emotional but it was a well told story with some very memorable characters.

askinnywhitedildo

TBOGT was total sh*t. I can't even remember at all of what happened, that how boring it was.

With V, I at least was interested in it, but it wasn't much better.

Official General

TBOGT was not really a full GTA game, it's a bit unfair to compare it's very short story (25 missions) to compared to GTA V's much longer one (69 missions).

Eutyphro

TBOGT was not really a full GTA game, it's a bit unfair to compare it's very short story (25 missions) to compared to GTA V's much longer one (69 missions).

This. It wasn't about story at all. All it did was add some entertaining missions and weapons and other gameplay, and some funny characters to laugh at. And it succeeded in that.

So this poll is completely stupid, sorry.

Edited by gtaxpert

IHerbert

TBOGT was a fun little arcade thing to fill up the fans' minds for a bit. It was just filler. It wasn't memorable. It wasn't groundbreaking. But at least it was fun filler.

I liked GTA V's beginning. Franklin and Lamar, hopping into those sports cars and speeding through LS. I didn't know Los Santos back then. It was just a big blur of railroads and car dealerships. It was great. Michael and Franklin's missions were some of the best in the series, dare I say. Then Trevor came in. That absolutely ruined it for me. Aside from the police bike chase, I hated it from then on. So boring, driving through that seemingly endless and unused desert. When it focused in on Michael hiding in Sandy Shores, with a wife-beater, leaning on the hood of his car, that was memorable. Then shooting up the Lost with Trevor. Not so much. Et cetera, et cetera.

Edited by IHerbert

John Smith

TBoGT in a nutshell:

-fun game

-sh*t story

-worst protag in GTA history

-best online Free Mode (that Buzzard man, that Buzzard!!!)

gtaismyman

My vote go to GTA V cause it a full game while TBOGT is just a expansion pack

sukmieazz

TBoGT, but only since it didn't really have a chance to grow a story with 25 f*cking missions. To be painfully honest, I expected more from GTA V as far as story goes, but by no stretch of imagination was it bad. TBoGT couldn't have been game of the year with just 25 missions, but it was still fun. Nothing on GTA V as far as story goes, though.

El Zodape

Dunno, I feel like I can't compare them.

It's like you are asking me who would win in a fight - coffee or banana.

BMW Sterling

I actually liked GTA 5's premise. Yes I disliked the Feds being the supporting cast of the heists but it wasn't that bad. I wish they were involved more in the Mafia or some other criminal organization than with the Feds. The Feds could've been involved but not during the entire story like how it is now. Steve Haines is an awesome character and he would've made the perfect "only" antagonist instead of multiple if it were to be decided who the only antagonist would be. Gta 5 had the best missions of any gta out and you CAN thank the Feds for that especially when merryweather was involved.

It would also be nice if each character had their own agenda to deal with for a longer period of time then the characters somehow intertwine for example, Franklin has at least 45 missions dedicated to himself, Lamar, and his gang before he even makes interaction with Michael! Michael has at least 50 missions dedicated to how he works with the Feds or Mafia (I prefer Mafia) until he even meets with Franklin breaking into his home. Michael can also do like 3 heists with his crew (not Franklin and trevor) for himself and the Mafia. Trevor's introduction in the game is perfect but at least 20 missions with him on how he expanded his meth empire and feuding with The Lost before his introduction. Hell, you can even do missions for Johnny before trevor kills him. This all would make the game harder and much more entertaining.

The story could've been better but in my opinion the story is top 3 worthy;

1. GTA 4

2. GTA 5

3. GTA Liberty City Stories (sh*t protagonist but underrated story)

SonOfLiberty

I think they're both on a similar level. Neither really excel at what they're trying to do and both sets of casts are mediocre IMO.

In saying that maybe TBOGT should be given some slack as it is a lot shorter and didn't have development time of GTA V.

Erick132

I love both games but if anything, I would say BoGT. The DLC is great but there is something about it I don't like. I can't point it out. And if anything, the worst GTA ever is probably GTA: VCS. That game pisses me off

feckyerlife

I think they're both on a similar level. Neither really excel at what they're trying to do and both sets of casts are mediocre IMO.

In saying that maybe TBOGT should be given some slack as it is a lot shorter and didn't have development time of GTA V.

if you take away the bullsh*t missions of going to buy masks, or steal some bug truck or steal army truck or f*cking yoga

then you probably have about the same amount of missions as TBoGT

Polish_Trucker

TBoGT in a nutshell:

-fun game

-sh*t story

-best online Free Mode (that Buzzard APC man, that Buzzard APC!!)

Changed the words for you ;)

OT: You can't really choose between a DLC story and a main story. That said, I remember TBOGT's storyline a bit more than V's.

Edited by Polish_Trucker

I<3GTAV

if you take away the bullsh*t missions of going to buy masks, or steal some bug truck or steal army truck or f*cking yoga

then you probably have about the same amount of missions as TBoGT

Than you're pretty much saying that every GTA in history is as short as TBoGT.

fac316

TBOGT was a fun little arcade thing to fill up the fans' minds for a bit. It was just filler. It wasn't memorable. It wasn't groundbreaking. But at least it was fun filler.

I liked GTA V's beginning. Franklin and Lamar, hopping into those sports cars and speeding through LS. I didn't know Los Santos back then. It was just a big blur of railroads and car dealerships. It was great. Michael and Franklin's missions were some of the best in the series, dare I say. Then Trevor came in. That absolutely ruined it for me. Aside from the police bike chase, I hated it from then on. So boring, driving through that seemingly endless and unused desert. When it focused in on Michael hiding in Sandy Shores, with a wife-beater, leaning on the hood of his car, that was memorable. Then shooting up the Lost with Trevor. Not so much. Et cetera, et cetera.

Couldn't agree more. They shouldv'e stuck with the mentor/protege theme, that way were the guy that made it (Tommy) and the up and comer (CJ) Trev f*cking up the martin madrazo part in the story (working for a drug kingping, think of the possibilities) made me h8 him.

TBoGT is worse b/c its shorter (woulda loved to see IV thru Luis's eyes then Niko's boring story) and the characters are awful.

Edited by fac316

Cylan

I don't get all the BogT hate. Luis did the whole 'trying to reform' thing before Michael and was relatively more successful about it once Bulgarin was taken care of and Tony's problems were resolved. Yes it was short, but the story only began when IV's main story was 2/3rds of the way done. An entirely different side of Liberty City was on display, with glamor plastered over the grime that encompassed Niko and Johnny's entire existence.

V on the other hand only suffers from being far too short for its own good. As BMW Sterling said, there should have been a lot more exposition with the main characters to set up their plots. I personally like the direction they went with the feds. The mafia had been done a whole lot in past games (IV, parts of BogT, to a degree in VC, III, LCS, The LV section of SA) and I don't think they even have a big presence in LA anyway. In contrast, working for the government has only really been done twice (in IV and SA) and both of those mission strands were standout. At the risk of sounding argumentative for no good reason, I'd also say that Michael didn't seem like the mafia type. He was more independent, a mastermind who was good at stealing.

So, in essence, I don't think either of the stories are bad.

Nameless Foot Soldier

I'm not going to vote. I found TBoGT to be a great work of story telling no less than GTA IV or GTA V. I never saw it as trash or garbage trying to cater to old arcadey fans. I also don't find GTA V to be a bad story. There is deepness in the game and the story structure isn't so black and white, defiantly not my favorite structure but not bad at all. I'm still finding amazing story elements that gorge my mind in pure literature goodness.

Mr. New Vegas

I didn't care of TBOGT at first, but I just started replaying it and I've got to say, Luis is actually a pretty good character, also the story isn't THAT bad, good for a dlc add-on.

Although neither Tbogt or V stack up to TLAD imo.

OT: Tbogt slightly wins for me.

latigreblue

I don't think that TBOGT was a bad story at all. I've mostly seen hatred for it on this site and that bunch also hates VCS and SA.

It's a strange thing. The GTA franchise built itself on it's ability to laugh at parody society and to show up how ridiculous we are as we go about our lives. GTA IV came and touted its 'realism' and I felt TBOGT was a return to the older way of telling the story.

The words that come to mind when describing V's story are calculated, artificial or even 'color-by-number'. Really can't describe what feels so different about it.

Fail_At_GTA

The story for GTA 5 was a bit disappointing, just like TBoGT, but I really enjoyed the gameplay. Most missions felt different and unique. The only similar missions were the heist prep missions, which were so pointless and shouldn't have counted as missions at all.

Uptown Rider

I am actually a fan of both and find both their stories good. maybe a little loose then IV's spectacular story but i love both stories.

nearfuturemyth

I liked TBOGT's story. It was consistent and the characters were funny.

GTAV however doesn't know what it is. It starts off as an awesome serious story, with Franklin and Trevor meeting, with Franklin's trouble with Lamar and Michael's trouble with his family.

Then we rob a bank and we're introduced to Trevor. Few more missions, we're back in LS, Michael meets Trevor again and we're thinking this is where sh*t gets serious.

Nope. From then on it's a cluster of sh*te, moving between serious story and "explosions because reasons", ending up with a sh*tty ending.

Oh, and No.3 was way more fun than Franklin & Lamar.

Where V fails as well, is that we're with the same few characters for the whole thing. The story would be better if Franklin had his own fleshed out storyline with the CGF, Michael's family problems, and Trevor's enterprise.

Franklin just ignores Lamar and his Aunt, and they don't give a sh*t, neither to CGF.

Edited by Lazyboy.

Lowi

Sorry but bullet_star_rated.png Ballad of Gay Tony story is worse, the same with TLaD story.

Captain Arthur

IMO, The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned together couldn't beat V's story.

Now, come at me Nobum, SOL, Drunken Cowboy and Tycek. :p

I'm ready for all of you.

qLiCqZn.jpg

Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101

The Lonesome Drifter

TBoGT in a nutshell:

-fun game

-sh*t story

-best online Free Mode (that Buzzard man, that Buzzard!!!)

Yet everyone I know claims that victor Vance was the worst protagonist :(

Shame, he was a great character, but his game was just to glitchy

Sorry but bullet_star_rated.png Ballad of Gay Tony story is worse, the same with TLaD story.

TLAD was a great storyline, it was just far too short

BLOOD

Ballad of Gay Tony is just fun,but TLAD is 100x better than it,Biker Gangs,Shotgun Drive-by,New Motorcycle Physics etc,it the HD Era Successor to SA.while TBoGT just made LC Pinkish and Colourful with over the top characters,It the Saints Row of the GTA Franchise,although TBoGT would destroy the 4 Saints Row Games.It introduced:Rating System,Buzzard and more.but overall GTA 5 would smash TLAD and TBoGT,why? cus it a Masterpiece.

Side Note:TLAD influenced alot of Openworld Biker Gang Games including the sh*tty Ride to Hell,plus there would be a SoA game soon according to IGN and alots of people wants it to be like TLAD.here is the link:

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/there-will-adefinitelya-be-a-sons-of-anarchy-game-says-series-creator