3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

[Help] Dell XPS

Tracksuit Hitman

For a couple of months I've been unable to use my desktop. One day it froze and I had to remove the plug from the socket in order to kill the power because the power button didn't seem to shut the desktop off. I put the plug back in and touched the power button and all of a sudden the fans would come on more powerfully and quicker than usual, making the sound that hard working fans do. The power button stays on an orange light instead of green. No image comes up on the monitor (tried with three monitors) either.

I'm not too sure on the specs but it's a Dell XPS 710 or 720 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of RAM [and 500+GB hard drive space]. It originally came with Windows Vista installed but was upgraded to Windows 7 about a year ago. I did a scan that day and no viruses were detected; my anti virus was ESET Smart Security 6 (paid for). I think the graphics card was nVidea GeForce 6800 or something around the 6000s. My sound card is a USB THX Sound Blaster.

So why is the desktop falling to boot up completely? The fans work so something's still working right, right? Is there a way to fix this without taking it to a tech shop?

I'm no good with all this tech malarkey!

Edited by Unoriginal Gangster

First I'd check all your cables are properly in place. If you've still got an issue I suspect there may be a bad stick of RAM. Try using one module at a time, but if that doesn't solve the problem your motherboard might be faulty. Also remember to have your PC disconnected while you install RAM or any other component and ground yourself by touching your case ;)

Well the cables have already been checked and I doubt the motherboard is fried because I was told there would have been a horrid smell if that was the case. I'll try the method involving the RAM.

Sounds like you could have a problem with your power supply or possibly, as luggage said, the motherboard or RAM. Failure to POST is usually indicative of hardware failure. Test your RAM sticks individually,still no boot then try removing all PCI-E cards, then replace RAM. If it still doesn't POST borrow a different power supply and test, if it won't boot with a different PSU then you're motherboard is dead.

I don't know who told you that dead motherboards smell horrid but I don't think they know what they're talking about.

Edited by sivispacem
  • Like 1

Sounds like you could have a problem with your power supply or possibly, as luggage said, the motherboard or RAM. Failure to POST is usually indicative of hardware failure. Test your RAM sticks individually,still no boot then try removing all PCI-E cards, then replace RAM. If it still doesn't POST borrow a different power supply and test, if it won't boot with a different PSU then you're motherboard is dead.

I don't know who told you that dead motherboards smell horrid but I don't think they know what they're talking about.

I'll give your method(s) a go tomorrow. If the motherboard's dead then I guess I'm screwed.

Cheers for the responses. I get better responses here than the very vague Dell support system.

I'll give your method(s) a go tomorrow. If the motherboard's dead then I guess I'm screwed.

Cheers for the responses. I get better responses here than the very vague Dell support system.

Even if you don't want to spend the money repairing your dell, some bits from the system are worth an ok amount. The cases are sought after because they look nice and can be modded so that modern motherboards fit.

i have a dell xps 420, and a 410

the 420 did the same exact thing, it was a bad usb port. idk if I or one of my kids rammed a usb device into the front port too hard or what but it did the same thing, once i unplugged the device from that port the pc boots up just fine.

I've not got around to giving it a try yet but I'll be doing so later.

i have a dell xps 420, and a 410

the 420 did the same exact thing, it was a bad usb port. idk if I or one of my kids rammed a usb device into the front port too hard or what but it did the same thing, once i unplugged the device from that port the pc boots up just fine.

I've removed everything and just left the power lead in and it didn't work so I doubt it!