3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
CatDog96

Spider-man spinoffs - Venom & Sinister Six movies announced

CatDog96

http://www.slashfilm.com/sony-expands-spider-man-cinematic-universe-with-venom-and-sinister-six-movies/

In a move to forge a new legacy in the story of Peter Parker on screen, Sony Pictures Entertainment, in association with Marvel Entertainment, is developing several new projects in the Spider-Man franchise, with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to collaborate on overseeing the developing story over several films that will be produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad,president of Columbia Pictures, and Hannah Minghella, president of Production for the studio.
The five writers, along with the two producers and Marc Webb, have formed a franchise brain trust to expand the universe for the brand and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films. Under the deals, the studio announced that Kurtzman & Orci & Pinkner are writing the screenplay for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which the studio hopes Webb will return to direct; the film will go into production next fall for release on June 10, 2016. In addition, the team will build on the cinematic foundation laid by Webb, Arad, and Tolmach in the first two movies. They will expand the franchise as Kurtzman & Orci & Solomon will write the screenplay for Venom, which Kurtzman will direct; also, Goddard will write, with an eye to direct, The Sinister Six, focusing on the villains in the franchise. Hannah Minghella and Rachel O’Connor will oversee the development and production of these films for the studio.

HaythamKenway

It's a real shame that when Spider-Man movie franchise gets around to some actual world building, it's based on a series that's made solely to keep the rights away from Marvel and not out of love for the character...besides that big wad of cash that he makes.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Sinister Six movie could be very interesting, especially if they will take a risk and this version of the Six won't be some "flawed anti-heroes" kind of thing. I want bad guys doing bad guy things. And I'm sold if Venom turns out to be Flash Thompson instead of Eddie Brock. Chances are low, considering Eddie = Venom for mainstream audience, but I can dream, can't I?

darthYENIK

I bet the popularity of the Superior Foes of Spider-Man series was a big reason they chose to make a Sinister Six movie. I just hope it's not because they want to include "SpOck" in a movie in the future. Although, thinking about it, it might be cool.

EvolvedWalker

TheFoxRiverFugitive

Was hoping for an actual look at Venom himself. Looks okay.

darthYENIK

Ive got so little interest in this movie. Only because Sony is clearly doing it only because they want to insert themselves into the MCU. Even though its not set in the MCU.

GTA-Biker

While I hope these movies will be good or at least decent,part of me is afraid they could be bad.I'd be happier if they were part of the MCU,since MCU movies are generally all good.

Journey_95

Looks generic, Venom should be in the MCU and in a Spiderman movie. WTF Sony

Leftist Bastard

Was hoping for an actual look at Venom himself. Looks okay.

Best thing they could do is not give you that look. Builds anticipation - kind of like the marketing campaign for the American Godzilla.

I saw Tom Hardy in a leather jacket what more could I ask for in this life; and on a more serious note Sony's MCU might be a good thing since it affords them to make more unique movies. It's the same argument against all of the mutant properties being bought by Marvel - would Logan have been made under Disney? would Deadpool?

TheFoxRiverFugitive

I just wish they did Black Suit Spidey first. I liked how he was handled in the 90's cartoon and Spectacular Spider-Man. The symbiote absorbed Spider-Man's powers, so how are they gonna explain the wall-crawling and web-slinging if the symbiote never met Peter? That and the fact that for the longest time, Spider-Man and Venom were on-again, off-again frenemies. Spidey has to at least be mentioned in the film at the very least.

EvolvedWalker

Darth Yokel

That looks badass.

darthYENIK

Sony: 'We tried to be coy, and not spoil the only thing this movie has going for it, but everyone hated it and this movie is going to bomb anyway, so lets try to get people to go to it by throwing it all in the trailer.'

Sony execs probably jerk it to the idea of Marvel saying, 'yeah, go ahead. Lets put all of the characters you (Sony) own the film rights to in the MCU, and you get all of the revenue.'

I like making Sony a sentient being.

Darth Yokel

Spider-Man Homecoming had the same trailer problem. They basically spoiled the entire movie.

Stormingz

I actually thought that was a pretty decent trailer, even if they did give away a bit too much.

TheFoxRiverFugitive

I'm gonna be honest; I'm not impressed. The "We are Venom" line was really cheesy. The most I can say for it is that they at least seem to make Eddie Brock somewhat relatable, nearly-likeable even. In the comics, I always thought his grudge against Spider-Man was petty and childish and he came across as a big crybaby. Glad they dropped that sh*t.

iBUCKEYE

I liked the suit better in Spider-Man 3.

I’m liking Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock, though.