1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Franklin VS. CJ

Broom__Handles

f*ck that lame ass lil' pussy C.J....Frank would smack his ass up and down Forum drive. C.J. was NOTHING but a PUNK ASS BUSTERRRR!!!!

and sweet was a f*cking wannabe idiot ass nigga. *ni**er

43135396.jpg

• Like 1

CJ and Franklin are completely different. Their background is different and their stories (that we see) are completely different. There's no way anybody could make a fair argument whilst comparing the two to say which one is 'better'.

If you want CJ go and play GTA: San Andreas. Why would you expect Rockstar to bring back something similar to what they've already done? Having the same state/city doesn't mean you'll have the same concept when it comes to characters and storylines.

EDIT: And what's with all this "he did nothing for the gang" crap? You should have known that the story wouldn't just revolve around gang life after seeing the Franklin trailer where he talks to Lamar about the life where he mentions something about "slinging dope and throwing up gang signs".

Edited by Unoriginal Gangster
  • Like 1

You could think Franklin is better, until you hear his homies talking about "OG Johnson".

• Like 1

You could think Franklin is better, until you hear his homies talking about "OG Johnson".

I smell a CJ DLC package coming next spring.

If I wanted to see who was the best black character, I would include the Vance brothers and Luis (I think he's half black)

Actually, Luis is 100% Dominican and the Vance brothers were Dominican-American. (Dominican father, white mother). Neither of them are black. lol

really? i thought luis was part black. i thought this because first of all his skin is darker than other dominicans, and he seems to get personally offended when yusuf says, "WASSUP MAH NIGGAS!"

• Like 1

Franklin. Unlike CJ, Franklin actually set out and achieved his goal of wanting to leave the ghetto.

CJ was stupid, naïve and easily lead on. While I think Franklin is pretty shallow he's the more likeable of the two.

Yep, and years later CJ is still doing wheelies on his BMX bike.

If I wanted to see who was the best black character, I would include the Vance brothers and Luis (I think he's half black)

Actually, Luis is 100% Dominican and the Vance brothers were Dominican-American. (Dominican father, white mother). Neither of them are black. lol

really? i thought luis was part black. i thought this because first of all his skin is darker than other dominicans, and he seems to get personally offended when yusuf says, "WASSUP MAH NIGGAS!"

@ nobum62

Well most or many Dominicans are Black to varying degrees, and mixed with White European Spanish and Native Caribbean (Taino Indian) ancestry. So some of them look more Black than others, some look directly mixed-race Black/White/Other, and some look a lot less Black than others (near enough full White Spanish or Mestizo), but most of them generally have at least some kind of Black African ancestry. That's why Luis still takes offence to Yusuf's constant use of the N-word.

Luis looks typically Dominican enough to me, I've seen many his complexion.

Edited by Official General
  • Like 2

^Your mother is a nice lady....I hope you die though

CJ's mother is a nice lady. OH, wait a minute. WAS a nice lady.

@ The Odyssey

You are taking this a little too seriously, don't you think ?

alltherightmoves

^Your mother is a nice lady....I hope you die though

CJ's mother is a nice lady. OH, wait a minute. WAS a nice lady.

@ The Odyssey

You are taking this a little too seriously, don't you think ?

How did you comment twice?

CJ for me.

He regrouped and led his gang to victory against their rivals, and he created his own criminal and business empire. And rather than get bullied by corrupt cops, he took those b*stards out too. He was not afraid of anyone, and he took on all kinds of gangsters, Mafia, Russian Mob, Triads and Mexicans. What a real OG.

It don't get better than that.

Was not afraid of anyone? Lmao, guy pissed his pants when meeting Mike Toreno. Sorry, i can't take this serious.

• Like 1

Definitely CJ, but he had a whole game revolving around him, Rockstar kinda made Franklin as that other guy in the game, didn't really develop his character IMO

• 1 year later...

I wanna bump this thread, because I have a very vested opinion on this topic.

CJ is one of my least favorite GTA characters. Not only was he a complete whiner, but he was constantly emasculated, a wimp, constantly called dumb, narrow mined and did not have an agenda. His agenda was technically what other peoples agendas were. He had no of his own. Or people had to TELL him what his agenda was. A good example being his LITTLE sister. Who has been shown to be SMARTER than him. smdh. While GTA SA is my most favorite via the gameplay and characters. I rewatching all GTA SA missions on YouTube like a movie, I find it very unbearable to watch. Me being older, I am realizing that CJ may not be my least favorite, but most hated protagonist. Not only his constant whining, but also annoying emasculated voice to go with it.

And to be clear its not, because of the hood gangsta theme. That's actually what I LOVED about GTA SA. The thing is CJ ruined that for me. Matter fact me being older and watching GTA SA as a movie on Youtube, I don't even find CJ even gangsta or like he's from the him. His character does NOT scream gangsta. Meanwhile Ryder's character does. So does Big Smoke.

Franklin on the other hand is my favorite protagonist out of the three GTA 5 protagonist. Yes I agree Frank was a "yes man" and he did complain alot. But the thing is thats a BIG plus for Franklin is that he had is OWN agenda. He KNEW what he wanted! Which was to become rich. Not only that, but he did not seem like a whipping boy like CJ. He did not let people casually call him dumb. He spoke his mind unlike CJ. He did not let Trevor do to him what Catalina did to CJ. Franklin actually sounded and looked like he was from the hood. He did not have an annoying voice. He actually had ATTITUDE unlike CJ. He was also not narrow minded like CJ and was able to adapt to new settings.

To me Franklin was refreshing as an African-American protagonist and one from the hood.

The first time I played GTA SA when I came to Angel Pine part Im looking forward to see Sweet again and revenge against the Ballas but it took a long way to get back to LS where had to do alot of missions in SF,LV and the countryside. SF and LV parts were okay but the countryside parts is kinda meh especially the Angel Pine part and Catalina's part is like CJ in poverty or exile. If I want to remember GTA SA I would just listen to West Coast Classics in V and it gets the GTA SA feel. Franklin is kinda average but him without Lamar is boring so it goes to either Lamar or Trevor to live his character up.

This is like saying batman vs superman, CJ would whup Franklin's ass in a fight, but Franklin is actually a human character that is relatable on some level.

CJ is one of my least favorite GTA characters. Not only was he a complete whiner, but he was constantly emasculated, a wimp, constantly called dumb, narrow mined and did not have an agenda. His agenda was technically what other peoples agendas were. He had no of his own.

He does not whine as much as Franklin. Franklin whines about money, CJ complains about what the hood did for him.

This makes Franklin a pathetic character, whining about money 24/7.

CJ was a wimp? Try again, pal. He rolled with the GSF even when he didn't like it. He volunteers to fight Smoke alone. Take note of that, he volunteers. He kills Pulaski. He helps the GSF take back their territories. If these are the actions of a wimp, I'm afraid you need help.

No agenda? Have you even played the game? His agenda is to find out who killed his mom.

And explain how he's narrow minded.

Or people had to TELL him what his agenda was. A good example being his LITTLE sister. Who has been shown to be SMARTER than him. smdh.

So what? A sister can't be smarter than the brother?

His character does NOT scream gangsta.

That's because his character is NOT a cliche` gangbanger in 90's LA. Ryder is the cliche' character and so is Sweet.

That's the point of his character. He's naive' in the beginning, he does not like the gangsta sh*t. He comes back and rolls with all that sh*t to prove something to Sweet and the gang. To show that he can be depended upon.

But the thing is thats a BIG plus for Franklin is that he had is OWN agenda. He KNEW what he wanted! Which was to become rich. Not only that, but he did not seem like a whipping boy like CJ. He did not let people casually call him dumb. He spoke his mind unlike CJ. He did not let Trevor do to him what Catalina did to CJ. Franklin actually sounded and looked like he was from the hood. He did not have an annoying voice. He actually had ATTITUDE unlike CJ. He was also not narrow minded like CJ and was able to adapt to new settings.

Yeah right, he had his own agenda, that's why he ends up sitting in a big house with nobody with him. Ironing clothes and eating chops all day long, oh what a brilliant agenda.

CJ on the other hand ends up owning various properties all over SA, re-establishing GSF at the top, pleasing Sweet and ridding the city of the menace Tenpenny.

Franklin adapts to new settings? That's funny bro, because the last time I played SA, CJ adapts himself to three cities.

I wish they would have made it more clear in the trailers that franklin wasn't about that gang life so pointless threads like this wouldn't happen.

CJ is one of my least favorite GTA characters. Not only was he a complete whiner, but he was constantly emasculated, a wimp, constantly called dumb, narrow mined and did not have an agenda. His agenda was technically what other peoples agendas were. He had no of his own.

I would like to know why the f*ck do you guys think

He does not whine as much as Franklin. Franklin whines about money, CJ complains about what the hood did for him.

This makes Franklin a pathetic character, whining about money 24/7.

CJ was a wimp? Try again, pal. He rolled with the GSF even when he didn't like it. He volunteers to fight Smoke alone. Take note of that, he volunteers. He kills Pulaski. He helps the GSF take back their territories. If these are the actions of a wimp, I'm afraid you need help.

No agenda? Have you even played the game? His agenda is to find out who killed his mom.

And explain how he's narrow minded.

Or people had to TELL him what his agenda was. A good example being his LITTLE sister. Who has been shown to be SMARTER than him. smdh.

So what? A sister can't be smarter than the brother?

His character does NOT scream gangsta.

That's because his character is NOT a cliche` gangbanger in 90's LA. Ryder is the cliche' character and so is Sweet.

That's the point of his character. He's naive' in the beginning, he does not like the gangsta sh*t. He comes back and rolls with all that sh*t to prove something to Sweet and the gang. To show that he can be depended upon.

But the thing is thats a BIG plus for Franklin is that he had is OWN agenda. He KNEW what he wanted! Which was to become rich. Not only that, but he did not seem like a whipping boy like CJ. He did not let people casually call him dumb. He spoke his mind unlike CJ. He did not let Trevor do to him what Catalina did to CJ. Franklin actually sounded and looked like he was from the hood. He did not have an annoying voice. He actually had ATTITUDE unlike CJ. He was also not narrow minded like CJ and was able to adapt to new settings.

Yeah right, he had his own agenda, that's why he ends up sitting in a big house with nobody with him. Ironing clothes and eating chops all day long, oh what a brilliant agenda.

CJ on the other hand ends up owning various properties all over SA, re-establishing GSF at the top, pleasing Sweet and ridding the city of the menace Tenpenny.

Franklin adapts to new settings? That's funny bro, because the last time I played SA, CJ adapts himself to three cities.

I would like to know why the f*ck do you think they are whiny. I've played as to the point where I reachedlas Ventura's and not once did I hear him whine or complain when it was time to do dirt. Franklin isn't a whiner he's a complainer especially when paired up with Lamar or Tanya but you'd be fussy ntoo if your friends were idiots who were leaving you nowhere when you are trying to move in a more productive direction trust me I know the feeling.

CJ is one of my least favorite GTA characters. Not only was he a complete whiner, but he was constantly emasculated, a wimp, constantly called dumb, narrow mined and did not have an agenda. His agenda was technically what other peoples agendas were. He had no of his own. Or people had to TELL him what his agenda was. A good example being his LITTLE sister. Who has been shown to be SMARTER than him. smdh. While GTA SA is my most favorite via the gameplay and characters. I rewatching all GTA SA missions on YouTube like a movie, I find it very unbearable to watch. Me being older, I am realizing that CJ may not be my least favorite, but most hated protagonist. Not only his constant whining, but also annoying emasculated voice to go with it.

And to be clear its not, because of the hood gangsta theme. That's actually what I LOVED about GTA SA. The thing is CJ ruined that for me. Matter fact me being older and watching GTA SA as a movie on Youtube, I don't even find CJ even gangsta or like he's from the him. His character does NOT scream gangsta. Meanwhile Ryder's character does. So does Big Smoke.

Franklin on the other hand is my favorite protagonist out of the three GTA 5 protagonist. Yes I agree Frank was a "yes man" and he did complain alot. But the thing is thats a BIG plus for Franklin is that he had is OWN agenda. He KNEW what he wanted! Which was to become rich. Not only that, but he did not seem like a whipping boy like CJ. He did not let people casually call him dumb. He spoke his mind unlike CJ. He did not let Trevor do to him what Catalina did to CJ. Franklin actually sounded and looked like he was from the hood. He did not have an annoying voice. He actually had ATTITUDE unlike CJ. He was also not narrow minded like CJ and was able to adapt to new settings.

To me Franklin was refreshing as an African-American protagonist and one from the hood.

I dont agree with this post at all.

Sure CJ had his whiny moments but to say he had no agenda?

His whole journey around SA was to get Sweet out of jail.

The part I highlighted in red is complete nonsense, sorry.

And Franklin was pretty much a whipping boy for Devin Weston. He done all those jobs for him but continually got shafted in terms of getting paid.

Franklin was just a pivot between M&T and should have just been a supporting character, thats how pointless he seemed at times.

Edited by UAL
  • Like 1

If both characters actually fought somehow, CJ would just stand there with a Tec-9 while Franklin blindfires at him behind cover with an MP5 waiting for Lamar and Chop to back him up.

The main reason I wanted to post in this topic is to make things right, meaning I've shot my mouth off and made some very stupid posts in the past regarding these two Protags and comparisons between the two!

In my opinion, speaking in my right mind, Franklin is 100% his own man with his own style and quite distinct from CJ. The only thing they share is the background of growing up in the hoods of South LS in their respective parallel universes. They have completely different world views however.

Personally I like Franklin much much better than CJ, Frank is just the more likable and relatable Protag to me and more down to earth. I mean yeah, he is a robber and thief by trade but you could still kick back and have a beer with the guy whereas CJ only seemed to care about the celebrity life and publicity and his "status" of being some popular rapper's "Manager!" Remember that the only reason CJ went back and saved Grove Street is because Sweet demanded it as his brother. If it wasn't for Sweet, CJ never would have returned to Grove Street!

One more thing, Franklin is the more loyal Protag, when Haines and Norton ask that he kill Trevor after Lamar Down he flat out refuses saying "me and Trevor cool!" The only thing CJ was ever really loyal to was his own status in the world of the hip hop rich and famous.

• Like 1