3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

CEVFRIO

Does Vic Vance bug you?

Hmmm nice bike

It was mildly annoying how much Vic seemed to change in only two years. I feel like they would have been better off just retconning that part of VC by implying that it's Pete who gets killed at the start instead of Vic. It would suit the VCS ending more by showing that Vic truly did leave the life of crime behind, and as I mentioned in another thread here, it'd make Lance look like an even bigger piece of sh*t by showing that he dragged his sick brother into the business when Vic left it. Of course, they messed that chance up when they announced that it really was Vic getting shot at the start of VC.

The Coconut Kid
25 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Of course, they messed that chance up when they announced that it really was Vic getting shot at the start of VC.

Always felt like this was a massive mistake, although by the point they announced it they were well through with the III era.

It's never bothered me that Vic died during VC. But it doesn't sit right with me that it's Vic during the ambush. They could have said Vic was quietly snuffed off screen as part of the broader ambush plan and went down fighting. After all, we're told that Lance's brother is dead but it's never stated that he died a fat, sweaty middleman with sh*t taste in vacation clothes. 

Isn't it also true that a lot was cut out of Vice City in the beginning with Vic being a kingpin in Panama or Mexico or somewhere?

Hmmm nice bike
29 minutes ago, The Coconut Kid said:

After all, we're told that Lance's brother is dead but it's never stated that he died a fat, sweaty middleman with sh*t taste in vacation clothes. 

Isn't it also true that a lot was cut out of Vice City in the beginning with Vic being a kingpin in Panama or Mexico or somewhere? 

I also don't think it was ever stated in the game that it was even Vic who died. Lance only ever referred to him as his brother, but never mentioned his name. The only place you'd ever find Vic's name being attached to that character is on the official VC website in a very out-of-the-way section that had his picture connected to everyone's. They could have easily made the guy at the start of VC Pete and left Vic's fate ambiguous.

I don't recall hearing about that cut story content though. Doubt it's true. But I do agree that officially calling that guy Vic was a big mistake. The limp would even make more sense if he was Pete, since that guy was said to be quite sick.

Helegad
Posted (edited)

Vic as a character doesn't bother me, he has issues with morality and hypocrisy like our other protagonists and it makes for a great storyline. I would have preferred Pete to die in VC's intro, it would definitely make more sense after Vic was fleshed out, especially with the way VCS ended.

The only part of VCS that the stickler in me didn't like was Vic

comforting Louise while she lay dying, saying "we did have something special", as if she was already dead, instead of "we do have".

I really liked their little fling. Louise would have made a great partner for Vic. Wouldn't have killed R* to give Vic a happy ending, I thought he really deserved one after all the bullsh*t life threw at him. That was the primary difference between Vic and every other protagonist in Grand Theft Auto, he was really a victim of other people's choices instead of his own.

EDIT: The "cut story" Coconut Kid is referring to is a shortened line from the VC intro.

Okay, so. They're brothers, okay. One operates the uh, the business, and the other one does the flying. Now they operate out of Mexico, They own a farm in Panama. Okay, all right, listen - you guys, when we get there should I stay in the car, or do you guys want me to come in with you guys?

Edited by Helegad