3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Don't expect GTA 6 until 2020+

ChumCrumpet

Shows you how preposterous the thought of such a long gap between GTA's once was, even those believing there would be a long wait didn't predict this long.

Cheers GTAO......not to mention Rockstar's other franchises you're responsible for being as good as pissed down the drain never to be seen again.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, RRT94 said:

OP is a freaking prophet lmao

Nostradamus of our times :D

Edited by Kris194
  • KEKW 1

MiamiViceCity1986

Maybe it can be like Back To The Future Part II where Doc and Marty travel back in time to course correct the time line from the "future" and we can get a reality where GTA V isn't being milked harder than a cow's udders? 

Wow, that entire first page. How little we knew, I guess. At this point, VI might come out a full decade after V, which is crazy to think about. And that's assuming it gets teased within the coming months. Potentially 10+ years between GTAs. That's like GTA IV coming out in 2014 instead of 2008. Insane. 

• Like 3

oh hey, we're necro-bumping? cool!

i honestly want to give up trying to estimate when this damn game is gonna come. it's practically the new half life 3, except 100x worse as i'm along for the excruciatingly long ride lmfao. if i'm still alive and active on this forum when it drops, i hope we can all laugh at this:

i don't expect it to release any sooner than 2024 - and i'm serious about that. we're already almost into 2022 with no news, and assuming a gap + delay after the announcement 2024 is starting to look somewhat optimistic. never thought i'd say that :sadkek:

2030 we can't trouble rockstar they're a struggling indie dev that doesn't make a lot of money. Gta 5 on it's third console hopefully will give them enough income to start developing 6.

TheSantader25
On 10/26/2013 at 1:02 AM, Lock n' Stock said:

Speaking of other games though, notice how Rockstar used to release more games in a single year? Now they can only seem to get one or two games out, probably because they're getting more complex to develop.

Little did he know...

I would love 1 game per year now lol.

• Like 2

That dude does have a pretty good point. I have to wonder how much of their inability to release games more frequently actually boils down to them making things increasingly more complex. We already know how absolutely mental GTA V and RDR2 were when it comes to small details. RDR2 especially. 

To top the sheer detail of each game going forward, it must be genuinely f*cking insane. I'm sure that's only part of the whole issue, with GTAO turning out to be a money printer over the years. But it does make you wonder; should they scale back on some stuff to release games in a more timely fashion? Not rush key parts of the production, mind you. But forego certain details and more ambitious additions. This is something they've done in the past with cut content in both GTA and RDR, so I dunno. 

10 hours ago, KB24 said:

2030 we can't trouble rockstar they're a struggling indie dev that doesn't make a lot of money. Gta 5 on it's third console hopefully will give them enough income to start developing 6.

You joke but that is a possibility if they are in dev hell atm. hilarious if that's the case.

On 10/26/2013 at 4:15 AM, Andreas said:

I think they will continue or already continued the development of Agent.

:kekw:

TheSantader25
11 minutes ago, Ryo256 said:

Correction: Don't expect anything until GTAO has been milked completely. 

Unfortunately cows can live 15-20 years.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:46 PM, Xerukal said:

Wow, that entire first page. How little we knew, I guess. At this point, VI might come out a full decade after V, which is crazy to think about. And that's assuming it gets teased within the coming months. Potentially 10+ years between GTAs. That's like GTA IV coming out in 2014 instead of 2008. Insane. 

It's going to be more than that. A decade after GTA V would be in less than 2 years, Summer'ish of 2023, which is definitely not happening. Not a word about GTA VI from Rockstar; plus with GTAO being a huge windfall with no sign of that particular well drying up any time soon, they are going to be taking their time even now. Add to this the fact that E&E is coming out in a few months, assuming no more delays, and Rockstar and Take2 are going to use that as a platform to milk Shark Card sales for PS5 and Series X for a lot more than just over a year from this Spring.

No, we are definitely looking at a 2024 release, hell even 2025, which would be a 12 year hiatus.

Edited by ChiroVette

37 minutes ago, ChiroVette said:

It's going to be more than that. A decade after GTA V would be in less than 2 years, Summer'ish of 2023, which is definitely not happening. Not a word about GTA VI from Rockstar; plus with GTAO being a huge windfall with no sign of that particular well drying up any time soon, they are going to be taking their time even now. Add to this the fact that E&E is coming out in a few months, assuming no more delays, and Rockstar and Take2 are going to use that as a platform to milk Shark Card sales for PS5 and Series X for a lot more than just over a year from this Spring.

No, we are definitely looking at a 2024 release, hell even 2025, which would be a 12 year hiatus.

Grim times for GTA. I wish GTAO never took off the way it did, lol. This is ridiculous. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Xerukal said:

Grim times for GTA. I wish GTAO never took off the way it did, lol. This is ridiculous. 

I guess a lot of this depends on how you look at it. Fans of GTAO, particularly those who have worked, slaved, and grinded their way to wealth and who have really developed their GTAO character would say that the wait for GTA VI may be a good thing. I was a latecomer to GTAO, and didn't dive in until about 18+ months ago, Before that I was all about the wait for GTA VI. But these days, I am a bit torn. Sure, I would love to see a new GTA, but once that happens...hell, once it is even just announced, then the current iteration of GTAO now has an official expiration date.

To be honest, I'm not really in a rush (or even in the state of waiting). Still got IV and RDR2 (and I guess V/Online too).

I kinda felt like it would come down to this. With Rockstar's mentality of concluding that singleplayer focus (with V DLC getting cancelled) will never be as profitable as Online component. I'm surprised they even finished RDR2 (probably only by telling shareholders about its Online mode). Yeah, I feel they won't release another game until GTAO needs a replacement, I mean that's exactly how R* thinks right now, why bother investing in a new base game when you are already printing money with GTAO? GTAO is the sole reason why E&E is even happening, I doubt anyone really asked for that.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

The author of this topic was impressively correct about the date of new GTA. Right now there is still no chance for 6 till 2023 or to be more precise even till 2024.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, Ryo256 said:

To be honest, I'm not really in a rush (or even in the state of waiting). Still got IV and RDR2 (and I guess V/Online too).

I kinda felt like it would come down to this. With Rockstar's mentality of concluding that singleplayer focus (with V DLC getting cancelled) will never be as profitable as Online component. I'm surprised they even finished RDR2 (probably only by telling shareholders about its Online mode). Yeah, I feel they won't release another game until GTAO needs a replacement, I mean that's exactly how R* thinks right now, why bother investing in a new base game when you are already printing money with GTAO? GTAO is the sole reason why E&E is even happening, I doubt anyone really asked for that.

While it may not be as profitable it still shows you how little they care about SP fans now.

GTAO and SP DLC could have co-existed easily if Rockstar cared/could have been arsed, they'd have only added to their profits with SP DLC even if it wouldn't have been as easy + instant as throwing out a few pieces of low effort, overpriced online crap.

It's funny, but reading this thread makes 2020 feel like yeaaaars ago...

10 minutes ago, Muller147 said:

GTAO and SP DLC could have co-existed easily if Rockstar cared/could have been arsed

Yeah I guess this is what I thought was odd. Surely a DLC wouldn't have been too much of an undertaking and it probably still would have profited. But I guess they don't want people playing Single Player when they could be playing GTA:O.

@ChumCrumpet @Muller147

That's the thing, it is not about Rockstar being practical, it's about their ultimate mentality change. After they had milked GTAO for so many years, surely a SP DLC or even porting Online features to SP would be easy enough right? Surely a small part of that profit could have made it happen, right? But here's the thing, other than a few developers (most of which left), Rockstar in general does not care about what players want. They are on a path to maximize profit with minimum effort. They are totally capable of giving some love to singleplayer fans but they literally choose not to.

Their literal mentality right now is that if it doesn't make profit, it is not worth their time, at all. That's why I say that people should be grateful for RDR2 story mode, considering how it manage to survive during development under such management. 

Edited by Ryo256

On 12/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, Ryo256 said:

In truth, there may be some very positive effects of all the horrible backlash Rockstar and Take2 are taking with this Defective Edition of The Trilogy. Go with me on this little tangent for a sec. I have noticed something very interesting. Since the awfully low reviews and the scathing articles written about this Trilogy iteration, it seems to have had a cascade effect. Before this launch, the only people talking about Take2's MANY flaws were a very tiny minority of people in forums like this one. So as accurate as a lot of what we all have been saying, we were honestly never really a factor in their corporate decision making. Rockstar has been essentially the media darling for about 20 years. That has never changed. Until now. For some reason, all of this bad press has opened the floodgates of staunch and numerous criticisms, from what I can see. This is the first time that I see Take2 being taken to task by a lot more of the Internet than just people like us. Things like the way Take2 handled the modders. These things were never on the radar of the average gamer or writer, but now they seem front and center.

Combine that with the critical reception of the E&E trailer, and I think Take2 and Rockstar are in for a bumpy ride in at least the coming months.

Why do I say all of this? Because I believe that both companies are scrambling, trying to figure out how to deal with this absolute PR nightmare they are currently ensconced in. What that might mean for the future is that Rockstar may start taking things we have been complaining about for years a lot more seriously. You mentioned SP DLC being cancelled, and you're certainly right. But Take2 and Rockstar may be desperate to win back mass approval, particularly since so far E&E seems like it's going to be a big nothing burger. So desperate that they may try to squeeze a ton of SP DLC into the PS5/Series-X gen of GTAV and GTAO. They may have to. Because right now, they have a serious fan goodwill problem, and it isn't just the tiny, insignificant minority of people like us anymore. Now its like the entire gaming community has collectively opened their eyes, only to realize that the Emperor really has no clothes.

Edited by ChiroVette

17 minutes ago, ChiroVette said:

That has never changed. Until now. For some reason, all of this bad press has opened the floodgates of staunch and numerous criticisms, from what I can see. This is the first time that I see Take2 being taken to task by a lot more of the Internet than just people like us. Things like the way Take2 handled the modders. These things were never on the radar of the average gamer or writer, but now they seem front and center.

I doubt it has changed. CDPR screwed big time, guess what many people still defend and downplay Cyberpunk 2077's failure. Blizzard screwed big time, guess what many people are still subbed to World of Warcraft. Even now, the people that are criticizing Rockstar are, sadly, still small compared to the silence majority, the same ones that bought DE in bulks, same ones that easily swallowed the recent apology. Even if Rockstar loses some money, it makes no difference because GTAO is untouched, that's their cashcow, do you think they care about a bunch of old and worn out trilogy fans? No.

20 minutes ago, ChiroVette said:

Why do I say all of this? Because I believe that both companies are scrambling, trying to figure out how to deal with this absolute PR nightmare they are currently ensconced in. What that might mean for the future is that Rockstar may start taking things we have been complaining about for years a lot more seriously.

CDPR, same story, guess what? Those DLCs they promised to be free? Turned out to be small cosmetic sh*t and future DLCs gonna cost money and they still haven't introduced half of the stuff they showed in their gameplay trailers. Blizzard, in a far far worse position than Rockstar, you know what they did? A few changes that community asked for years, censored a lot of stuff (because we gotta protect women but not the ones they are harassing in their office) and moved on to their next major patch like nothing happened.

22 minutes ago, ChiroVette said:

You mentioned SP DLC being cancelled, and you're certainly right. But Take2 and Rockstar may be desperate to win back mass approval, particularly since so far E&E seems like it's going to be a big nothing burger. So desperate that they may try to squeeze a ton of SP DLC into the PS5/Series-X gen of GTAV and GTAO. They may have to. Because right now, they have a serious fan goodwill problem, and it isn't just the tiny, insignificant minority of people like us anymore. Now its like the entire gaming community has collectively opened their eyes, only to realize that the Emperor really has no clothes.

Problem is that, Rockstar, not only lacks the care for SP, they also lack the ability to make SP content right now. When you think of SP DLC of Rockstar, you think of narrative. Guess what, Dan Houser left the building and Rockstar never planned for a SP DLC recently so they don't really have anyone on standby ready to take Dan's role. When things like this happen, it's why they outsource their sh*t to companies like Grove Street guys, because Rockstar always opts for the quick solution, because they don't have any proper staff ready for such tasks (otherwise they would have remastered the trilogy themselves and that E&E trailer wouldn't have been as sh*t as it was). It also does not help that all the potential SP DLC content was shoved into GTAO so Rockstar is apparently right now creatively bankrupt in SP department. They can't outsource it because no one knows RAGE engine like they do, so they are in a corner right now.

Also why would they add sh*t to SP at all? Their main audience is and will always will be, that outnumbers us all, is the GTAO players. They will just annonce a DLC for GTAO, they will reduce prices in game, they will do stuff for GTAO, not story mode. They will protect the cash cow first, not their old and worn out fans that are soon to get busy with life and leave them. They want the latest generations, that about to get jobs and pay for more Shark cards with their own money rather than their mama's credit card.

• Like 2

I think you're way off the mark on that last bit. Dan Houser was not the sole writer at Rockstar. They have team(s) of genuinely talented people, many of which are responsible for RDR2's superb story and characters. It's not a talent issue by any means.

Talent means not much in my opinion, without direction. Dan Houser is not Rockstar, but he was a vital part when it comes to narrative. His departure isn't gonna be easily fixed, especially not at short notice.

Rockstar can only organize its talent and pick a proper direction when they are interested in developing a singleplayer project. This may not be their current goal and no pressure of DE backslash is gonna magically get their talent on board for a SP DLC (or more accurately, new SP DLC since Dan's work got butchered and remaining pieces were put in a blender with Online content to give us Online DLCs).

Also I would remind people that Jeff Kaplan left Blizzard, he had a major part in Overwatch 2 and while people have assured us that he left behind a great team. OW2 is not doing very well. Do you think that departure of major employees do not have any effect on future developments?

Edited by Ryo256
  • Like 1