Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,962 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Tsuroki

[Announcement] Update to Name Change Policy

Question

Tsuroki

** This thread is for discussing the Name Change Policy update.

Hi folks,

We've updated the name change policy for GTAForums!

Effective immediately, users who have been registered for more than a year (365 days) will be able to manually change their display name. This change can be made once every 365 days.

We're limiting the change to once every 365 days to mitigate abuse and avoid confusion. Consider the change carefully before you make it!

You can change your display name on the Display Name page in your User CP area: http://gtaforums.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=displayname

(You can see name change history for other users by viewing their profile page.)

For those of you who have been around for a while, you'll know that this has been a long time coming. :) Name changes have been one of the most requested features for the last several years.

If you have issues with your name change, or any general feedback, please keep it contained to this thread. Thank you!

Spider-Vice

I think the current rules are fine. There should be no exceptions made for anyone even if they're here 69 years, after all this is a large forum and if people were changing names say twice per year it would be madness. One year is probably already madness for those who are uncertain about their internet personality, lol.

I'll probably never use it, but it's nice to see the name changes back and more "public".

Daz

Stupidest idea ever.

Nobody is going to know who anyone is anymore, and people will just steal someone elses previous name and it will just confuse everything to sh*ts.

The forum has been ruined since the update anyway so who gives a f*ck may as well thrust your knob into the VCR even further at this point.

Darth Yokel

Stupidest idea ever.

Nobody is going to know who anyone is anymore, and people will just steal someone elses previous name and it will just confuse everything to sh*ts.

The forum has been ruined since the update anyway so who gives a f*ck may as well thrust your knob into the VCR even further at this point.

Or people could follow my glorious example and put their old name as the custom member title for a while until everyone else gets used to the new name.

Otter

Thanks for putting everyone's hissyfits in perspective, Daz!

Also, pretty stoked to change my name to -=0^^#£=-

...'Ottae' was taken :(

rudy

Oh yeah, to add, I just want to get anything with Sleepy but remove the 187. and add/do something else.

Just fyi, Sleepy sounds more sh*ttier than Sleepy187.

Oh, and I'm a 2013 member too, hi-five.

Flachbau

I'm not trying to start this all up again.

but I do agree with what that one member said about the rules. I believe he/she said something like "Change it now, wait 365 days, change it again". It kinda sucks to wait a while, I've had a former account that I switched from, so I kinda regret that.

aye though, don't complain. Rules are rules, right?

Prometheus

Maybe if you stick to your original account you wouldn't need to wait.

Daz

I have no issue with someone needing a name change to either remove redundant characters from their username, shorten it, or simply change it to something that they are more frequently known as, but just a random change to whatever they want I think is stupid. You should have seriously thought about what username you wanted to begin with, and sure some people could have been annoying 12 year olds when they joined 10 years ago, but I think most of those people have already had their names changed.

One lifetime change should be enough, but I think it needs to be thoroughly reviewed by staff before hand, and no control of it given to the user.

I feel bad for all those poor bastards that had to create new accounts back in the day.

Flachbau

Maybe if you stick to your original account you wouldn't need to wait.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was complaining.. but I wasn't.

Mr. Sleepy

Oh yeah, to add, I just want to get anything with Sleepy but remove the 187. and add/do something else.

Just fyi, Sleepy sounds more sh*ttier than Sleepy187.

Oh, and I'm a 2013 member too, hi-five.

lol. :) "Sleepy" only is taken anyway, I'm trying to figure something else to add with it.

When the time comes. ^_^

Harley

You should have seriously thought about what username you wanted to begin with, and sure some people could have been annoying 12 year olds when they joined 10 years ago, but I think most of those people have already had their names changed.

Harley'03 4LYF

GunWrath

Ace, if the staff make an exception for you then they will have to make an exception for others. Just need to wait bro.. AceKingston isn't a bad enough name that you need to be sad about.. just wait it out.

As for others that made new accounts and are a bit upset.. shouldn't have made a new account. It's simple as that.. I know some of you are young and have the name like 'ComicReader02934809' .. but you made the account, not the Forums nor the staff, so you can't hold them accountable.

@WildBrick, I'm sure if some made a typo with the name change that a staff member would be generous enough to fix it for you. Just watch your keys as you type and before you submit. ;)

Punk-in-Drublic

Muhahaha. Snatched up an awesome username. Trevor Philips Enterprise, bitch!

I don't suppose it can be ammended to Philips instead of Phillips? Made a silly typing error. :(

Edited by Trevor Phillips Enterprise

NSanityHD

Finally it is announced!

What in the heck has this world come to?! GTAForums ALLOWING name changes?! This is sorcery!

I'll be tempted to give a verbal commendation to whoever does the worst name change. I'll be looking out for candidates.

Really don't like the sound of this... unsure.png

Kwabs

I noticed that even if you change your username, the old name still appears in the userlist. For example, still appears as COOLMAN12234555896 when looking at the userlist. And @The Odyssey appeared as thegtaman531 in the userlist the last time he was active. Is this subject to change, or is it final?

I actually wonder the same thing. Anyone that can answer?

Punk-in-Drublic

I can only sign in with my old Wreckless Jake username, when I try to sign in as Trevor Phillips Enterprise it says incorrect username/password!

Spider-Vice

I can only sign in with my old Wreckless Jake username, when I try to sign in as Trevor Phillips Enterprise it says incorrect username/password!

That's how it's supposed to be, if you read some of the first posts. IPB has a difference between Log In and Display names.

GunWrath

I noticed that even if you change your username, the old name still appears in the userlist. For example, still appears as COOLMAN12234555896 when looking at the userlist. And @The Odyssey appeared as thegtaman531 in the userlist the last time he was active. Is this subject to change, or is it final?

The changes are only made to your 'display name', not your primary account name.

Kwabs

The changes are only made to your 'display name', not your primary account name.

Well, yea, but can't the display name be used to be displayed on the userlist and 'users reading this topic/forum' list?

Tsuroki

Well, yea, but can't the display name be used to be displayed on the userlist and 'users reading this topic/forum' list?

Not at the moment. It might be something we can tackle through a mod to the forum software, but stock IPB uses your login name for the "users online" list.

Deffpony

Is there a way to view a members name history so I know who they used to be. Took me forever to realize that DTU changed his name

John Smith

Well personally, I think it's a good idea to limit username changes to once per year. Infact, if I were in charge of this cyber zoo, it would be every two years, as it's already a pain in the baws trying to work out who's who.

I haven't changed my name yet (can't be arsed - besides, I love my highly unique and original username), but if I were to, then I'd at least put my former name in my title or sig until the more active chaps got familiar with my new christening.

Andreaz1

Is there a way to view a members name history so I know who they used to be. Took me forever to realize that DTU changed his name

Go to their profile and click "Display name history".

Deffpony

Go to their profile and click "Display name history".

Thanks man...dur

Flachbau

Wait, DTU changed his name?

GunWrath

Yeah, he changed it to Tank some years back. He was just using his old account. :ph34r:

unopieceo

I'll be tempted to give a verbal commendation to whoever does the worst name change. I'll be looking out for candidates.

Do I win the prize?

Vercetti42

I don't even need to use the 'Display Name History' I can tell who the guy is by just looking at their avatar.

For instance, the guy above me is OnePiece and I nominate his username for the prize. :^:

TFR (OnePiece) needs four more nominations for the prize. 1/5 so far.

Edited by AceKingston

WildBrick142

lol OnePiece :lol:

You get my vote :p