Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,765 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Blunt Force Trauma

Where should the next GTA take place?

Next GTA city  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Which city would make for the best location in the next GTA?

• New York City
    • London
    • Chicago
    • Dubai
    • Miami
    • Las Vegas
    • Los Angeles
    • Detroit
    • Hawaii
    • New Orleans
    • Philedelphia
    • Other American City (Baltimore, Atlanta, D.C. etc.)
    • Other International City (Moscow, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Mexico City etc.)
    • None of the above, I'll post in the comments

dp415263

What a stupid poll where is the GTA universe cities? moron

Blunt Force Trauma

What a stupid poll where is the GTA universe cities? moron

Hey man, there is absolutely no need for that. Perhaps I wasn't specific regarding this, but this thread is about where should the cities be located and based off of. There is no denying that Los Santos was modeled almost to a T on Los Angeles, just because they don't call it that doesn't mean it isnt' technically LA. I think Rock Star does that to avoid insulting people, their local culture and customs. It's supposed to be a parody, not a mockery. I don't appreciate your unprovoked aggression and juvenile name calling, so don't do it again. I apologize though to you and anyone else confused thinking I was suggesting what REAL WORLD city should "host" GTA. That is not what I meant, I am talking about which of these cities should inspire the next GTA. When you play the game, what city, essentially, do you want to be in, is the question.

I can appreciate Rock Star's attempts at making cities based on real world places while simultaneously maintaining their creative and artistic integrity to keep it unique and different enough that people don't take the game too seriously. Not that the game is supposed to be full of valuable moral lessons, but I'm sure it would send a very wrong message if you could massacre New York Police Officers or LAPD in the game as opposed to "Liberty City" police officers or LSPD.

And besides, does anyone know the "GTA Universe" name for Chicago? Or New Orleans? Dubai? I didn't think so, I certainly don't but I'll happily correct myself if you wish to prove me wrong. In the mean time, lighten up a little bit, let us continue this as a friendly and welcoming discussion, and please don't litter my thread with trashy insults like that.

Edited by Blunt Force Trauma

Ragref

Liberty City and Los Santos is done, now time for Vice.

Ninjambie

Obviously it will be in Vice City. Duh...

Scruff85

I am sorry but I do not know why all these people are for Detroit or Chicago. That would be too similar to past GTAs and too boring of a map. They need a new city in either another country or some place like Seattle, Portland, Denver, or Salt Lake City which have exciting surrounding terrain.

Edit: I am also not against another Vice City!

Edited by Scruff85

Nomadski

R* have stated while they would love to do a London orientated game, GTA will always be set in the US. They consider there to be the permanent setting of the game.

I agree we need a new location, and I hope we maintain a balance of urban and rural, the wide open areas offer such a break from the cityscape.

I just hope it's not Liberty City again, that place has been done to death.

Blunt Force Trauma

I am sorry but I do not know why all these people are for Detroit or Chicago. That would be too similar to past GTAs and too boring of a map. They need a new city in either another country or some place like Seattle, Portland, Denver, or Salt Lake City which have exciting surrounding terrain.

Um, I am sorry, nothing against those other cities, they would make for great GTA locations me thinks, especially Seattle, with mountains, waterfalls, rainforests, but what exactly is boring about Detroit or Chicago? If anything, judging by the comments and poll results, people are all for Miami I.E. Vice City. How is Chicago or Detroit "too similar" to New York? Have you ever been to these places for an appreciable amount of time, because you would quickly realize the distinctions between them. Drawing similarities like "They're all really big cities" is an unfair overgeneralization because the same comparisons can be made with Vice City and Los Santos, "both have warm weather, sandy beaches and palm trees" but as any resident of either will tell they each have their own identity.

Liberty City and Los Santos is done, now time for Vice.

See, I think they need to go to the Midwest and show that region some love, it's always the same 2-3 cities in any Americana, New York City, Los Angeles, or Miami/Hawaii.

Obviously it will be in Vice City. Duh...

That's what I'm afraid of, I would hope if the fans wanted something else (it seems they don't :p) Rock Star might listen in and establish where the next installment should be set before going into development, because we are the consumers. These games should revolve around us, as narcissistic as that sounds. We have to buy their game, so we should be able to have a bit of a say in what we want to play. If we aren't happy with the finished product then they wasted a lot of people's valuable time and money, so getting it right and noting fan demands I think is important.

I would hope they'd break the mold, the monotony of those big three overused and abused cities and try something else, something fresh, something new. It don't even have to be Chicago, but I think they could do a lot with that if they figured the fans wanted it badly enough.

Scruff85

Um, I am sorry, nothing against those other cities, they would make for great GTA locations me thinks, especially Seattle, with mountains, waterfalls, rainforests, but what exactly is boring about Detroit or Chicago? If anything, judging by the comments and poll results, people are all for Miami I.E. Vice City. How is Chicago or Detroit "too similar" to New York? Have you ever been to these places for an appreciable amount of time, because you would quickly realize the distinctions between them. Drawing similarities like "They're all really big cities" is an unfair overgeneralization because the same comparisons can be made with Vice City and Los Santos, "both have warm weather, sandy beaches and palm trees" but as any resident of either will tell they each have their own identity.

Yeah I figured someone would catch me when I wrote that about Vice City. I just remember loving that particular environment so much. However, it might just have been the awesome 80s music... lol. Its not that I really have anything against Chicago or Detroit. It's just my opinion but I think those cities would end up feeling a little too similar to Liberty City. GTA V has blown my mind after feeling confined in a big city in GTA IV.

bmajede

Dubai? you serious?

Vice City forever baby!!!!!! and again in the 80's era!!!

Edited by bmajede

ClippedWings

How about enough of America, do something outside of it..

Blunt Force Trauma

Dubai? you serous?

Vice City forever baby!!!!!! and again in the 80's era!!!

Why wouldn't I be serious?

Yeah I figured someone would catch me when I wrote that about Vice City. I just remember loving that particular environment so much. However, it might just have been the awesome 80s music... lol. Its not that I really have anything against Chicago or Detroit. It's just my opinion but I think those cities would end up feeling a little too similar to Liberty City. GTA V has blown my mind after feeling confined in a big city in GTA IV.

Ah, I'm sorry man. I didn't mean to antagonize, you are entitled your freedom of speech that is your opinion. You don't have to agree with me so I apologize if I sounded, maybe a bit oppressive there.

Mister Pink

Give me a new city please. I'd enjoy Baltimore if only for lots of references to The Wire.

Blunt Force Trauma

Give me a new city please. I'd enjoy Baltimore if only for lots of references to The Wire.

Nothing else here floats your boat?

Rerxelend

Carcer City. Manhunt is a linear game set at night, so we haven't really properly seen it.

Crav3

A south side city bordering mexico would be awesome for gta. Mexican Cartels anyone?

EyeMacHunt

So, what is Australia like then?

Peaceful and safe. Which would equal boring for a GTA game.

grimper12341

I think we've had enough American cities, it's time for some international flavours. Especially considering that with GTA 5, R* has covered all American time periods from the 70's onwards, and we've seen most of what the country has to offer vehicle wise.

I think London would be a good next step...a different place but not completely unrelatable to America. Throw in some countryside and maybe even a bit of France and it would be a pretty neat change.

Also, snow.

Retrorex

I'm English and live 30 minutes from London, I would love for a GTA to be set here =D *they have to put my house in though* j/k

Crableg

edit- add Johannesburg to possible areas

I think Cape Town would be a better, more recognizable city, if your looking for somewhere in Africa

Ziggy455

I'd like to see a GTA focusing more on story and such, and less on size. Vice City back in the 80s again would be brilliant.

But we're forgetting about San Fierro, Las Venturas, and perhaps even a game that mixes all three locations eventually.

Edited by Ziggy455

CReaper210

My first choice, would be Washington DC. It just has so many places that are iconic. But apart from that, Detroit. Just because I live in Michigan, and I think it'd be awesome to be able to play GTA over here!

AlkalineBattery

I wouldnt mind another Miami based GTA. Boston, San Francisco or Las Vegas could work as well..

That being said i think new GTA should be set in an fictional international city. You know, how bout some diversity for a change.

My suggestions(bold ones are my favs):

Balkans setting: ( Niko Belic's homeland.).. crime ridden city, lots of stolen cars, gun trafficking, exporting drugs to other parts of Europe etc, / a gritty city + suburbs still f*cked up from the war, some buildings in ruins or at least shot up would also have a feel of post-apocalypse, there could also be gypsies in the countryside

Asian setting: Anything to do with Yakuza, Triads etc.. could be more gang oriented like SA or not..

Uk setting: obvi they can base their model after London, would be a great fit for underground organisation, they should set it in 90s, have you running clubs etc., loads of british humour

German setting(Berlin): obvi you'll be playing an immigrant, a Turk who spends most of his time selling kebab gets drawn into a criminal underworld lol

Russian/Ukraine setting: human trafficking, prostitution ..etc

Scandinavian setting: a bleak and snowy atmosphere

South American setting: favelas, kidnapping, drug cartels ..

France setting(Paris): an Arab ala Un Prophete gets his rise in criminal underworld

Italian setting: Mafia etc

These might not fit with GTA's logic but would still make for a cool open world:

Futuristic setting: They could take any metropolitan city but set in future, so its futuristic, bit sci-fi ish but not to much; you are selling illegal drones, new identities, but people still use 'normal' means of transportation etc.. but there are also robots and whatnot

Post-apocalyptic setting ala Mad Max: Character ala Mad Max in a post apoc city figthing gangs etc, might be a bit limited for free roaming but still it could have lots of people in colonies etc..

WW2 setting:

CReaper210

Asian setting: Anything to do with Yakuza, Triads etc.. could be more gang oriented like SA or not..

Italian setting: Mafia etc

Futuristic setting: They could take any metropolitan city but set in future, so its futuristic, bit sci-fi ish but not to much; you are selling illegal drones, new identities, but people still use 'normal' means of transportation etc.. but there are also robots and whatnot

Post-apocalyptic setting ala Mad Max: Character ala Mad Max in a post apoc city figthing gangs etc, might be a bit limited for free roaming but still it could have lots of people in colonies etc..

WW2 setting:

These all sound very good.

We have lots sandbox games with these settings', but none of them have R* quality.

I personally would love another GTA game focused on gangs more, so I'd rather see something like the Mafia/Asian setting you described.

GTA5 didn't do much gang warfare. Yet it has so much potential. They got Vagos, Ballas, The Lost, Angels of Death, GSF, Aztecas, The Triads, and even Marryweather(I know they're not a gang, but it's yet another faction that should've been explored more IMO).

Edited by creaper210

LittleBlueTroll

I'm really, really hoping for Vice City. As it will be out on Xbox One / PS4, and seeing how gorgeous the world is in GTA V, having a remake of Vice City would be heaven.

I can imagine walking down the strip now, the beach on my left and a long stretch of clubs, bars and hotels all lite up in neon on my right. Would be amazing.

Flimsylawyer

Australia!!!! Have Kangaroo's jumping down the road, kick ass ute's, babes in bikini's and sick MOFO's everywhere!!!!

Fail_At_GTA

LV for me. Rockstar didn't quite make LV a full city back in San Andreas. I would like to see what they could do with it. If not LV, it would have to be Vice City, but not in modern times. Miami today is just a bunch of old fat people.

Chicago simply wouldn't work. To me, it would just be another concrete jungle like Liberty City. I think after 5 years in Liberty City, we are all sick of cities with endless skyscrapers.

Amigo Mane

I think someone made a really good point of having 3 stories set in 3 different cities, probably Atlanta, Chicago & Baltimore (obviously having 1 protagonist in each where you switch from one to another) & then like half way through the game once they've made a bit of money, they follow their dream & move to another city (they all move to the same city) they cross paths somehow, they get into a situation & their pasts come back to haunt them in the new city & they take them on together...

Amigo Mane

Maybe they all escape from the three cities to a location like Miami or LV or even somewhere foreign...

Motherflippers

R* have stated while they would love to do a London orientated game, GTA will always be set in the US. They consider there to be the permanent setting of the game.

Have you got a link to that by any chance? Haven't seen that - curious to see what was said.

Would like to see something other than a US setting. I'm English and I'd piss my pants in excitement for one here in the UK but liking the suggestions of Australia, Cape Town & Tokyo etc.

I think it'd be difficult to set the game outside a "westernised" setting though.