Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,529 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Deffpony

The Driving Debate

Driving Debate  

2,630 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

• Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV
    • I like it despite it feeling more "arcady"
    • Indifferent
    • I dont like it but I can live with it
    • Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV

PG.

l can live with it but it's a step back from IV. Driving was much more fun in IV.

Edited by cookiemonster14

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I'm not going to lie, cars like the Feltzer and Coquette did slide around a lot. But then again it was to be expected - the Coquette was light with a lot of power and the Feltzer was a seriously over-powered grand tourer.

Eutyphro

The reason they lowered the car damage is mainly I think because of GTA online racing. Because everyone rams each other in GTA Online, it is not fair for your car to get so deformed on the first crash that it won't drive properly anymore. That would be a valid reason to rage quit, which R* penalizes you for in GTA Online.

P2FX

I'm not going to lie, cars like the Feltzer and Coquette did slide around a lot. But then again it was to be expected - the Coquette was light with a lot of power and the Feltzer was a seriously over-powered grand tourer.

That is why I said they need to put traction control and stability control in modern cars. IRL supercars have these aids to help inexperienced drivers. They could make it switchable just like how you can rise\lower the roof of a convertible. BTW has anyone seen Jeremy Clarkson drive that Mercedes black series thing in top gear? I can't help but think of the Feltzer when I first see that show.

Edited by P2FX

suicidehummer

The reason they lowered the car damage is mainly I think because of GTA online racing. Because everyone rams each other in GTA Online, it is not fair for your car to get so deformed on the first crash that it won't drive properly anymore. That would be a valid reason to rage quit, which R* penalizes you for in GTA Online.

... but that's what armor is for...

Eutyphro

You don't always race customized cars... You sometimes have races with cars set to standard. And often people don't have a customized car in a certain class at all.

B Dawg

You don't always race customized cars... You sometimes have races with cars set to standard. And often people don't have a customized car in a certain class at all.

Then they should learn to drive. IV cars were stronger than 3D era cars, and if that isn't enough for them, then they should quit.

DrAnomalous

Good to hear! I was curious how the physics would be. Sleeping Dogs was a big letdown so I was pessimistic about Watch Dogs. Too bad my laptop couldn't run it anyway...

There are so many great looking games coming out for PC though, like Next Car Game, BeamNG's project and SpinTires. I really gotta get a good PC. First, I'll need lots of money though. Who wants to plan a heist?

Ah, Sleeping Dogs did have some pretty silly vehicle physics, but the combat was pretty fun. I wouldn't say WD has any major problems but user reviews seem to be nitpicking at a level that nobody would dare reach with GTA. The assumption for me is that these are GTA fans that don't want another game stealing it's thunder. I myself need to get a new PC, I'd love to finally play IV with some mods. This piece of chit is only good for visiting the Driving Debate and looking up fap sites. :D

I really don't see how IV's physics can be too slidey unless you're overdriving to suit the conditions.

That's always puzzling to me. The people who describe the physics as "slidey" or "like on ice" must think that cars, regardless of weight and power will behave the same way at any speed. Doesn't matter whether you obey all traffic laws, put on your blinker, stop and idle across at 20 mph in your front wheel drive mini-van or you whip around an intersection at 80 mph in a 400+ hp lightweight rear wheel drive coupe.

I'd love to see the first driving exam

(and I know these clowns don't even have a permit)

where they pull out of the DMV, lock their wheel, punch the accelerator and cause a fiery pile up.

http://youtu.be/nI49ERsiteQ

Those dudes must of all felt like they were on ice for a moment there. . . . . . or maybe they forgot that just because you can afford it LIKE A BOSS doesn't mean you can drive it LIKE A BOSS. Oh and by the way did any of you see the unrealistic body roll in that video?

Edited by DrAnomalous

suicidehummer

I notice a lot of them are Lambos...

Most people couldn't possibly handle a supercar if their life depended on it. Hell, Most people can't handle a V6 Camry with like 280 hp. But as soon as they get some money, they think their mario andretti and drive recklessly on public roads. If you can afford a Lambo, you can afford lessons and you can afford to take it to the track where you're not endangering other people. I have no patience or sympathy for "street racers" that wreck, they deserve it.

G's Ah's

Most Lamborghini models these days, and even those in the videos, have the same AWD system Audi uses. They must be really stupid if you can lose control of something like that.

I really don't see how IV's physics can be too slidey unless you're overdriving to suit the conditions.

Most of the vehicles in IV were RWD. There were few vehicles that were FWD or AWD. RWD cars are always going to be more prone to oversteer.

Twilight Sky

Some of those reasons are why I have a fear of driving and don't own a car, even though the need for one has been increasing... my problem is going to be making turns. And for long as I've been operating powered industrial trucks(power jacks) turning even with those remains an issue :/. I should probably play Gran Turismo 4 and take that turning lesson again lol. Basically, I tend to get fear of oversteer and end up understeering, or get overconfident, and oversteer like mad. Can't find a balance at all.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Most Lamborghini models these days, and even those in the videos, have the same AWD system Audi uses. They must be really stupid if you can lose control of something like that.

Most of the vehicles in IV were RWD. There were few vehicles that were FWD or AWD. RWD cars are always going to be more prone to oversteer.

They are more prone to oversteer, indeed, but that doesn't mean that all of them do oversteer.

Oh and by the way, most Lamborghini crashes are caused by excessive speed.

FasterThanYou

Some of those reasons are why I have a fear of driving and don't own a car, even though the need for one has been increasing... my problem is going to be making turns. And for long as I've been operating powered industrial trucks(power jacks) turning even with those remains an issue :/. I should probably play Gran Turismo 4 and take that turning lesson again lol. Basically, I tend to get fear of oversteer and end up understeering, or get overconfident, and oversteer like mad. Can't find a balance at all.

WHAT? Oversteer or understeer in the road? Really? Number 1 open road driving tip: if you're anywhere near the grip limits (if your tyres screech), you're driving like an idiot.

You CAN'T oversteer or understeer, because that means your rear/front wheels can't cope with the effort you're asking and they started sliding. If you get anywhere near that, you're being an idiot (or got caught out by ice).

Gnocchi Flip Flops

You cannot be serious. :bored:

P2FX

If you lost control of your family car on the public road you must be drunk. And all new cars sold after 2012 in the US have electronic stability control, so if you are planning to buy a car that has less than 300HP you must be a complete maniac to slide it.

Midyin84

I really like the way the cars handle in this one. Honestly, I'm surprised so many people liked GTA4's driving. Seriously? The vehicles drive about as well as a cinder block taped to a skateboard..

I'm not usually the type to sh!t on an opinion that's different from my own, but everything about GTA 4 was inferior to GTA 5 including the driving...

The only thing I may argue was any good about 4 was Niko. He was a [email protected] stand up guy, but as far as actuall game mechanics go. Yeah, GTA5 trumps 4...

Edited by Midyin84

Gnocchi Flip Flops

I really like the way the cars handle in this one. Honestly, I'm surprised so many people liked GTA4's driving. Seriously? The vehicles drive about as well as a cinder block taped to a skateboard..

I'm not usually the type to sh!t on an opinion that's different from my own, but everything about GTA 4 was inferior to GTA 5 including the driving...

The only thing I may argue was any good about 4 was Niko. He was a [email protected] stand up guy, but as far as actuall game mechanics go. Yeah, GTA5 trumps 4...

Cool! :):^:

Eutyphro

Then they should learn to drive. IV cars were stronger than 3D era cars, and if that isn't enough for them, then they should quit.

But 3d cars drove the same even if black smoke came out. HD era cars get worse performance wise and become uncompetitive with damage, especially if the front axle bends.. And V has faster acceleration and higher corner speeds, so you tend to crash harder in races.

Can people explain to me, how this guy winning most races is not skill based:

Racing in V is definitely skill based. Now, when I had free Xbox live for a weekend I won my races like that too, because other people drive like idiots and ram each other all over the place, but even then... You can't blame it 100% on the idiocy of the other participants. There is skill involved.

Edited by gtaxpert

suicidehummer

The physics are even more f*cked up online. I hate how cars will slide sideways and pop into the air and stuff for no apparent reason.

And when you can corner like you're glued to the road, skill is not a factor. The physics have been dumbed down. Lower the hoops enough and anyone can win. End of story.

sultangris

The physics are even more f*cked up online. I hate how cars will slide sideways and pop into the air and stuff for no apparent reason.

And when you can corner like you're glued to the road, skill is not a factor. The physics have been dumbed down. Lower the hoops enough and anyone can win. End of story.

They handle different in free mode than they do during races too, pretty dumb

G's Ah's

They don't "pop into the air for no reason". They only do that if they hit objects on the road or wherever the race is. "Down the Drain" being a good example of this when you run over one of the various pieces of sheet metal. As for sliding sideways, what exactly is the problem? Cars slide sideways in real life if you turn off all the electronic aids and get frisky with them. Traction control is primarily there to keep people on the road instead of off it. Only people who know how to handle cars bother turning it off.

Oh, and apparently "being glued to the road" is now a problem as well? So, one minute, sliding and oversteer is bad and the next minute, having decent traction (which is apparently impossible in the real world now) is also bad? Have you begun to scrape the barrel with your gripes?

sultangris

They don't "pop into the air for no reason". They only do that if they hit objects on the road or wherever the race is. "Down the Drain" being a good example of this when you run over one of the various pieces of sheet metal. As for sliding sideways, what exactly is the problem? Cars slide sideways in real life if you turn off all the electronic aids and get frisky with them. Traction control is primarily there to keep people on the road instead of off it. Only people who know how to handle cars bother turning it off.

Oh, and apparently "being glued to the road" is now a problem as well? So, one minute, sliding and oversteer is bad and the next minute, having decent traction (which is apparently impossible in the real world now) is also bad? Have you begun to scrape the barrel with your gripes?

heh, yea it seems to me like they become airborne far too easily as well. theres usually a slight hill or something but that shouldnt cause them to go 10ft in the air for 2000 yards. I catch more air from insignificant rises in the road than i do from ramps in free mode, lol! Its pretty clear they intentionally did it to make racing more challenging. I just find it retarded how my same car handles different in the race than it does in free mode on the same roads at the same speed, makes zero sense.

Eutyphro

I don't feel there is any difference between regular handling and online race handling, and if there were such a difference, go prove it to me.

Edited by gtaxpert

Trevor_Phillips01

I reckon its quite good... more realistic in my opinion. Also it creates more incentive to boost your driving skill to maximum because if you dont your car is gonna go ALL OVER THA PLACE!!! :r*:

sultangris

I don't feel there is any difference between regular handling and online race handling, and if there were such a difference, go prove it to me.

simple, go do a race with a custom car and then go drive the same road with the same car and you will notice that its much slicker and when you hit the same bump at the same speed you fly higher and farther in race mode. Plus when you hit a street sign or another car they have much more mass to them and you cant push through them like you can in free roam. street signs and poles dont even slow you down in free roam but cut your speed way down in races. Also npc cars move some if you hit them in free roam but in race mode they might as well be brick walls because they do not move at all and if the driver isnt dead they will actually push you around like you are nothing even if they are driving a smaller car than you. Its basically like your car weighs less and has less traction in race mode, i dont know the exact differences but there is a difference, im sure a modder could probably find the values in the game files and tell you exactly whats different but by simply driving the same car in each mode you should be able to tell.

DrAnomalous

It's pretty funny to me that MichaelW comes back to drop his "knowledge" (hilariously as if it helps his case), ignores any points made against his arguments by repeating the same thing, and then finishes it all off with a condescending remark as if he actually proved a point.

Really thanks for participating. :rol:

Kampret

I may not agree with that. City is more detailed, driving actually takes time to master (more variables are applied to it), and not to mention, Helicopters.

Edited by Kampret

Gnocchi Flip Flops

It's pretty funny to me that MichaelW comes back to drop his "knowledge" (hilariously as if it helps his case), ignores any points made against his arguments by repeating the same thing, and then finishes it all off with a condescending remark as if he actually proved a point.

Really thanks for participating. :rol:

Just pay him no mind, keep doing what you're doing.

Algonquin Assassin

I'm actually surprised so many people love GTA V's physics. It's like pushing a wooden box across asphault.

GTA IV is better. /fact.

sultangris

I'm actually surprised so many people love GTA V's physics. It's like pushing a wooden box across asphault.

GTA IV is better. /fact.

yea, they dont like gta 4 though cause driving was actually required skill and had consequences if you crashed. it was pretty easy to f*ck your car up which left you on foot and looking for a new ride, lol! I loved it personally, its pretty gay crashing into a concrete wall at 150mph and nothing happens, it was awesome when you went flying out the front window and your car got all bent up and started smoking, then started on fire and you knew you better get out and start running!