Xbox 360 - Game Keeps Freezing on Franklin's 1st Mission

MeatButcher

Hi,

Just signed up to add to the discussion after reading the (apparently inaccurate) story on kotaku.

I've had no problems at all myself, but that in itself should help rule out some false positives. Mine is a late 2008 model, and due to the wonders of unemployment I'd ended up doing 12+ hour sessions all week, must have 75+ hours on the clock now. So suffice to say overheating shouldnt be an issue either.

I did have a single freeze up during a character switch cutscene, but a reboot fixed it fine.

So yeah, it sounds like you're on the right track with querying the installation process and different drives. Mines a 60gig if that helps. Good luck everyone.

You cant just use any usb drive, it has to be at least 16gb and have a read speed of 15mb/s write speed does not matter unless you dont like waiting. Anything lower than 15mb/s and you risk the game not loading, or having performance issues. A good brand is also important to keep its performance average over time.

Hi,

Just signed up to add to the discussion after reading the (apparently inaccurate) story on kotaku.

"snip"

They quote me but failed to read that my Xbox is a 250GB Slim and that PS3 users have the same issues.

Anywwho, roughly 24 hours of game time clocked, 44% complete, and the Xbox Support fix is still working for me.

Guys good news,

In my country (the netherlands) is an article in the newspaper about this. This is the AD one of the biggest newspaper in our country!!!

They said that rockstar is looking what the problem is and if it can be fixed and what kind of issue it is

Edited by Remco079

Hi,

"snip"

They quote me but failed to read that my Xbox is a 250GB Slim and that PS3 users have the same issues.

Anywwho, roughly 24 hours of game time clocked, 44% complete, and the Xbox Support fix is still working for me.

So how are you playing right now? Installed install disc on hdd and disc 2 on a usb? Where do you save it and do you have a HDMI connection?

Hi,

"snip"

So how are you playing right now? Installed install disc on hdd and disc 2 on a usb? Where do you save it and do you have a HDMI connection?

Both discs are installed to the internal HDD. Running at 720p. No HDMI, I use a VGA Cable to run it on a PC monitor. And I'm not connected to XBL.

The 'oily texture' issue did appear last night but it has since vanished without me making any changes.

I've got a 2006-7 model that went back to Microsoft to get the red rings fixed.

Freezes before I get passed the introductory mission. No pattern (although I've not timed it) I've loaded disk 1 onto HDD and onto a new Sandisk memory stick. No joy.

I've had the cover off thinking it may be a heat issue with running such a large game. Still nothing.

Freezes every time. My next thought is do I buy another 360 just to play this game, when Xbox One (or PS4) is just around the corner?!

Hi,

I was having constant freezes every 10-12 minutes and yesterday I did something that allowed me to play for 2 hours. The game did not freeze, I just had to stop, so I still dont know if this fixed the problem for me or if it will break again, I'll try to play more today and let you know.

My fix:

- Completely remove the hard drive (I have a 20 gb one)

- Use a USB stick on the front usb port (it's a kingston datatraveler 3.0 elite 32gb).

- When I turned on the console it asked me to update (i guess it was because the update is stored in the hard drive)

- I deleted the cache from the usb stick although the only data I had in it was the save game after the first mission

- Downloaded my gamertag to the usb stick

- Only install the "install disk" on usb stick

So basically, replacing the hard drive with a usb stick allowed me to get 2 hours of gameplay. I wasn't even going to try this (it was @XboxSupport1 who suggested me to try this) because I had seen people playing from a USB drive / stick and had no luck, but for me it seemed to work fine. It might be that you get different results with different drives / sticks, so I'd suggest giving it a try.

As I say, I'll come back later when I have been able to test this more... Anyway, I would really like to get a patch so we dont need to do all this tricks just to play a game that is not cheap at all.

Tried this, didn't work.. Damnit

Just joined to add another failed story.

I've got a 2007 model sent back for the notorious RROD.

I picked up the game about 5 days ago and had no problems with the install or even doing the prologue or Franklin's first mission . I cruised around the vast expanse of the city for about an hour or so and it finally froze. Rebooted and froze within about five minutes. Rebooted again and same thing. sh*t.

I resorted to some online advice and saw that this wasn't only a problem with our old and weathered Xboxes. PS3 and some of the newer xboxes are experiencing this as well. So, I deleted all of my save info etc and reinstalled and started again. Again, I got through the prologue and Franklin's mission flawlessly. As soon as I started the bike repo misson it started to freeze again at about the five to ten minute mark again. I figured that it was my xbox so I through in a Skyrim and a few other games and had zero problems. I initially thought that it might be a hardware issue and my xbox might be getting hot, but I figured that about an hour of Skyrim would at least prove this to be true. I was so pissed I just left the game in the drawer for a few days and decided I would return it to the store when I myself cooled off.

Last night I finally decided to exchange the game for a new one and did so with little hope. I didn't even bother to reinstall or delete anything. Just popped it in and started the countdown to freeze thirty. An hour goes by and nothing. Cool. Another hour goes by....hell yeah even better. I blow through the bike repo mission and another mission where I help out Tonya or whatever her name is. I kidnap D and my confidence starts to actually build. I take to the beach and jump on a four wheeler and BOOM....there she goes. The fun machine takes a sh*t and dies. Reboot...freeze. Reboot....freeze. Skyrim, no problem. Black Ops 2....no problem. I put my hand on my xbox and it's really not that warm at all. Makes no sense.

If MS is right and it's not a hardware issue then good ol R* needs to at least reimburse us fully, or put this stupid app sh*t to the side and focus more on fixing the problem on why we all bought the game to begin with. I really don't give a sh*t about customizing my car from my phone or playing with Chop. Whoopity doo. It's Monday, so I hope that someone there at least took part of their weekend and put a little effort into helping us all out. This is just ridiculous. And if it's not a problem with R* and it's actually on MS's end....then we shouldn't have to pay them to upgrade or "fix" our consoles. We didn't tell them to put now outdated guts in our systems. I for one won't be going out and buying a new xbox just to play this game....that's just crazy. I've done my part and sent R* as much info as I can and will hope that a patch comes or some sort of good news at least. Although, I do have a looming fear that we will all get the shaft

Edited by Maggot Army

That's just what I don't understand at all. I've tried about everything you can think of and everyone else has tried, to no avail of course. But when I walk into it without even bothering to try anything it works fine. Madness.

The annoying thing is that news sites have took notice of this forum but only seem to see issues with "older 360s". There are many PS3 owners here that have similar issues, and there doesn't seem to be any correlation between fault and model. I guess I should be happy that the fix Xbox Support provided me is working, but I'm aware that it may only be temporary and I'm hoping that if enough people report this to R* we get a more permanent solution.

The annoying thing is that news sites have took notice of this forum but only seem to see issues with "older 360s". There are many PS3 owners here that have similar issues, and there doesn't seem to be any correlation between fault and model. I guess I should be happy that the fix Xbox Support provided me is working, but I'm aware that it may only be temporary and I'm hoping that if enough people report this to R* we get a more permanent solution.

Appreciate you providing your views and feedback on this forum purplebunny. Trying your solution now wish me luck. Haven't touched GTA V for about 3 days due to annoyance of this whole thing - the only saving grace is fellow gamers having same problem and sharing their views!

Right,

I've been using a 2006 xbox (no HDMI input)

Freezes galore

I've just been to my brothers to get his 2009 360

With HDMI input gonna try with disk 1 loaded onto the HDD (loaded using my 2006 model)

Running the game from the disk...

Will post results soon

Wish me luck

Appreciate you providing your views and feedback on this forum purplebunny. Trying your solution now wish me luck. Haven't touched GTA V for about 3 days due to annoyance of this whole thing - the only saving grace is fellow gamers having same problem and sharing their views!

Any joy? I'm starting to think my installation has been fixed permanently despite R* telling me not to install the second disc.

Any joy? I'm starting to think my installation has been fixed permanently despite R* telling me not to install the second disc.

Unfortunately not :( only let me get to the start of the driving section of the prologue and it froze numerous times - i somehow got to a couple of missions in before after trying dozens of times but your method was worth a shot just want to try everything. I'm now trying the game with it installed on USB. Glad to hear this page is getting some exposure!

Got fed up with reading and decided to register with this forum. I too have an old white xbox. 2008 or thereabout, also refurbished. This is my third fat xbox, first one red ringed after warranty, so I PAID $100 to get it fixed. Then, once it failed again about 2 years ago, I sold it for parts and bought another refurb from ebay. This xbox has had only minor crashes/freezes with Skyrim, (hey another huge, openworld game...coincidence???) maybe half a dozen times in 300+ hrs of gameplay across multiple files. I would usually be able to remedy this by uninstalling the game and then reinstalling. I've felt many times that this xbox was about to red ring, mostly with skyrim, but it's still going strong.

I actually figured that I might get even more issues with gta v because of this past freezing, and I was right. I've tried a couple fixes, I don't have a flash drive. The one that worked for me was playing music from the dashboard. I got a 2 hour session before a freeze, and the about an hour and a half before a freeze. My third attempt lasted 10 minutes. I'm actually well into the game at this point (about 30%). But my freezing has consistently gotten much more frequent. Usually between 5 and 20 minutes of gameplay before a freeze. These "fixes" rockstar has been recommending are complete wastes. If they seem like they are working, it's blind luck. It seems to me they are just brainstorming ways to play the game while crossing their fingers. Not a single one of these fixes will last, they are simply buying time for rockstar to count their money, I mean work on a patch.

Another thing, I have a cousin with an xbox that's older than mine. It's actually his original, red ringed once before and microsoft refurbished. So it seems to be hit and miss with older systems, but definitely more common than newer models. He runs his with the game installed on a flash drive. Didn't try any other configuration, because his actually works that way.

Mark Andrew: This is a known issue with the game though Rockstar doesn't want to claim it. We also have fixed most of these cases by installing it on a flash drive which is more readable than CD.

Mark Andrew: I just want to clarify again that this is not about the Xbox but with the GTA V game disc.

So if what this guy is saying is correct, exchanging for a new disc should solve the issue, providing that you don't get another bad disc. It also means that a bad disc won't work on any other console.

This is bullsh*t. As people on this forum have proven, playing the bad disc on a newer console solves the issue and people who have exhanged bad discs for brand new copies still experience the freezes. I am guessing there are some bad discs as with any game released on such a massive scale, but that it's mostly with the console. There are just too many people on this forum to suggest otherwise. Obvisously, the game was tested on newer models because, well rockstar can afford new equipment so why would they have tested on old ass models? That was a mistake, though.

I caved and purchased a new 250 gig slim from amazon. Should be arriving any day now. I will try my current "bad disc" on it and report back. Something tells me it will run flawlessly. If it still freezes, then I will be exchanging discs at gamestop. This whole thing has been annoying as all hell. I do think there will be a patch in the next few days, but we will have to wait and see about that.

Thanks, folks.

I doubt there will be a patch the next few days, when right now there's no even one word from R* about this issue. They're just ignoring it..

I doubt there will be a patch the next few days, when right now there's no even one word from R* about this issue. They're just ignoring it..

Very true - I have tweeted R* support at least 3 times today and they haven't replied to a single one - they are only replying to petty issues about ifruit and in-game cars disappearing etc etc... very poor show.

https://twitter.com/RockstarSupport

No freezes with 2 hours gameplay on my brothers older Xbox (2009) same disk being used, same hard drive from my old Xbox.

Must be a compatibility issue with the disk and one or more components in the old xbox.

Old xbox still runs other games fine no freezes

idk if this will help or not, or if anyone already figured this out but the problem with gta V freezing isnt the game it is the older xbox 360 consoles that are causing the freeze. To give a testimony i have an xbox 360 slim (the one that came with the kinect) i got it November 2010. I have been playing gta v on that console and i currently unlocked trevor without experiencing any lag or any freezing at all. Well to be honest the only freeze i had was when i tried to take a snapmatic photo and the game froze while i suppose uploading it to rockstar social club but that happened only once and it was the first day the game came out in which snapmatic was not running at the time. However my experience with playing gta v on xbox 360 slim has been perfect it runs as smooth as any other game or as smooth as gta 4 did. So to truly have the experience with gta v in terms of proper running and graphics etc. You might need to just update your consoles or i guess wait for a patch or try the USB thing some people described whatever is more convient.

Edited by KoolKid00

idk if this will help or not, or if anyone already figured this out but the problem with gta V freezing isnt the game it is the older xbox 360 consoles that are causing the freeze. To give a testimony i have an xbox 360 slim (the one that came with the kinect) i got it November 2010. I have been playing gta v on that console and i currently unlocked trevor without experiencing any lag or any freezing at all. Well to be honest the only freeze i had was when i tried to take a snapmatic photo and the game froze while i suppose uploading it to rockstar social club but that happened only once and it was the first day the game came out in which snapmatic was not running at the time. However my experience with playing gta v on xbox 360 slim has been perfect it runs as smooth as any other game or as smooth as gta 4 did. So to truly have the experience with gta v in terms of proper running and graphics etc. You might need to just update your consoles or i guess wait for a patch or try the USB thing some people described whatever is more convient.

That's ridiculous - older xbox 360s are still xbox 360s and should run the game fine. If its a case where it doesnt work on these older models (people with slims and ps3 are still having issues too) then there should be a requirement on the box stating this like PC games do.

Suggesting we buy a new console to play 1 game when the next gen consoles are around the corner is ludicrous as well.

I'm glad it's working for you but for a lot of people it is not.

@cmck123 It was worth a try.

That's ridiculous - older xbox 360s are still xbox 360s and should run the game fine. If its a case where it doesnt work on these older models (people with slims and ps3 are still having issues too) then there should be a requirement on the box stating this like PC games do.

Suggesting we buy a new console to play 1 game when the next gen consoles are around the corner is ludicrous as well.

Indeed. They also failed to read the thread, as my Xbox is a newer model than theirs and still had the same issues. As you said, this isn't isolated to the 360 either, PS3 owners are experiencing similar technical problems.

The only way to resolve this is by sending in those reports to R* technical support.

Edited by purplebunny

Very true - I have tweeted R* support at least 3 times today and they haven't replied to a single one - they are only replying to petty issues about ifruit and in-game cars disappearing etc etc... very poor show.

https://twitter.com/RockstarSupport

I can understand that though, people will be watching rockstar supports twitter and what they have to say, if they reply to one it will bring attention to the fact that they have a much bigger problem...I have messaged rockstar support, still nothing, utterly pathetic. My only hope is that they'll have patch when online is released.

hey i said do what is convient if updating consoles isnt convient then dont do it idk how much people have in their bank accounts that they are willing to spend..but in my opinion updating to a newer 360 is not so bad of an option if you think about it. I for one will not throw down 500 on an xbox one in november. in fact i wont do it untill 360 games are discontinued. The new 360's are now cheaper to buy and it seems to be running better with gta v idk about the exceptions( with ps3 and 360 slim problems, I also agree the game isnt perfect on any of the models and there are lots of things R* can fix with some updates in all the games ) but the majority of the issues seems to be coming from those with older models (atleast most sites i have been reading said it). But as i said before do whats best for you. If you find it ludicrous to update now with xbox one being around the corner then simply dont do it.

Edited by KoolKid00

I don't get why people are so quick to criticize Rockstar. Yeah, they should have tested this sh*t, but there's equal blame to go around. After all, in the end it's up to Microsoft as to whether a game is licenced for the 360 or not. Both sides are to blame, surely, but it's not like gta v is a total bust. The problems are vastly more common on refurbished boxes from years ago. We are the minority here. But if the game says "for xbox 360" it is a reasonable assumption that all models will run it the same. Rockstar should have tested it on older models, but it seems that they didn't. Probably for the same reason we didn't expect to have these problems. It makes sense for an xbox 360 game to run equally well on all models of 360s, especially when no other games seem to freeze with this much frequency. One side blames the other and vice versa. There will be a patch in the near future..whether or not it will fix our issues remains to be seem. The game is bug-city, as are most gta and open world games.

I can understand that though, people will be watching rockstar supports twitter and what they have to say, if they reply to one it will bring attention to the fact that they have a much bigger problem...I have messaged rockstar support, still nothing, utterly pathetic. My only hope is that they'll have patch when online is released.

I posted this in another thread but it seems relevant:

How sure are you that this is a minority when the top article on R* support is http://support.rocks...-hardware-issue ?

Just reading through these forums you'll find these issues are happening with every version of the game, DDL and disc, and on many different models of PS3 and 360. These are not minor glitches, like those further down the R* support page, they are game-breaking.

Mine for instance is a 250GB S that had freezing, lag, pop-in etc until Xbox Support provided me a temporary fix. It's also telling that these issues have made a major news site such as Kotaku however inaccurate their article may be.

R* support provides an auto-response when e-mailed, but you're right. The only way we can get these issues resolved is by complaining directly to R*, MS and Sony.

I would take having http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200148846-How-to-tell-whether-failed-installations-or-random-crashes-freezes-glitches-are-caused-by-a-bad-disc-or-console-hardware-issue as their top technical issue means they are aware of this but they haven't gathered enough data from us beta testers to fix it, or they have no idea if it can be fixed as yet and don't want to accept culpability.

• Like 2