4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

MeatButcher

Xbox 360 - Game Keeps Freezing on Franklin's 1st Mission

Question

MeatButcher

Xbox 360 owner.

I had no issues installing disc 1 onto the HD.

No issues playing through the introductory mission.

No issues of cut scene transition between Michael and Franklin

Once the driving portion of Franklin's 1st mission start, the game randomly freezes forcing me to reboot the Xbox. There is no precursor for the game locking up; it appears to happen completely randomly and at different times during the mission. It has locked up on me early in the mission when Franklin's buddy calls up on the cell phone just after the driving starts. It has locked up during the second portion of the driving mission when the cops are chasing.

I'm not sure what to do.

TRRKKW0W

hey guys i just fixed the problem after tryin evry thing first my problem is when i reach 6.5 % of the game and this fix worked for me and for another friend he had a problem with starting the game looke guys i know that may seems crazy but i just start a song ( music) at the backgraound on xbox and leave it on and put the game on xbox just start the game and its work's like a dreaaaaam ! try this befor with another game plz try it and let me know if it work's for you

can u please explain this a bit more? how do u start a song on the background? do u mean play music from a usb then start the game?

sil3nt hill

yes man sorry for my english

TRRKKW0W

I have the xbox 360 slim mw3 edition with a 250gb hdd and I can barely reach franklin's first mission. I've reinstalled and went through 2 USBs (both 16gb) and a second HDD (60 gb) but it still freezes. I've reformatted and reset cache numerous times and this is my second copy of the game. They really need a patch as this is gtting ridiculous. I've only had this 360 for 10 months.

SAME as me, thing is i can play the whole f*cking game with no problems at ALL, its just this MAIN STORY MISSION thats making my game crash/freeze...

ok gonna try to " play music and play "

Edited by TRRKKW0W

sil3nt hill

me to i used to play all the game without a problem just the 6 th mission

TRRKKW0W

:( glad it fixed for u, game is loading right now and im playing music on the 360 player thing, let u know if it works in a min

IT WORKED UNTILL THE MUSIC STOPED, when the music ran out of time it crashed, i mean it works untill the song run out of times and it auto re-plays but it takes like 2 sec, gonna try with a long ass song

IT WORKS FOR NOW / THE MUSIC THING WORKS IDK HOW THE f*ck IT DOES TO WORK BUT IT WORKS FOR ME

ill up-date my final results with a long song

Edited by TRRKKW0W

sil3nt hill

okey man ;)

TRRKKW0W

okey man ;)

thank u so much man really thank u

sn3 parks 87

which level level 6 mate is that the 1 where u get rucksack off lester? if so thats where mine keeps crashin everytime

sil3nt hill

no problem man i was watching this topic since the bigening and and i just found this so i joined the forum just to give you the fix :)

sil3nt hill

which level level 6 mate is that the 1 where u get rucksack off lester? if so thats where mine keeps crashin everytime

i fixed it try my soulution i hope it works for you too

Sigals

Playing an mp3 in the background doesn't resolve the crashing for me on or around the first mission fyi.

Edited by Sigals

sn3 parks 87

i fixed it try my soulution i hope it works for you too

will do mate cheers

tnkr

Playing music in the background is not going to stop the freezing. Neither will cleaning your cd/xbox. Neither will clearing cache.

This is a gamebreaking compatibility bug, which will be (hopefully soon) fixed by a patch released by R*.

At least, that's what I can conclude from this thread.

I Guess the only thing we can do is be patient.

TRRKKW0W

Ok it worked longer than where my game crash, i thou it was cuz of the music stoped playing so i managed to put it a longer song but meh, still crashing.

mission is the one Trevor needs to go set some sticky bombs on the camp of the bikers. 24.1%

DaMan5one8

First time ever writing in a forum and this is out of complete anger and frustration!?! It's been 6 days since purchasing GTA 5 and I am losing my mind, time, sleep and in the process, all hopes of playing this game. Let me start by saying that I have an Xbox slim, purchased for as a gift for me, last december @ Wal-mart as a Skylander bundle and given to me for christmas. My kids bought me this, because they knew that GTA 5 would be coming and my Xbox had died of the RROD. So, this freezing issue is not just happening to the older machines. I also do have an HDMI port and have tried this as well as every other method described by posters here; Installing Disc one to HDD, to USB(3 new USB's in total), installing disc 2, not installing and Etc. I also have a 4gb slim, but took my old HDD and opened it and added it to my slim. In the beginning I was freezing on the very first words of the game ( 9 years pre...), but eventually got to franklins safehouse only to have it start freezing there as soon as I would leave his bedroom. Many reinstalls later, I was able to save at his house and can now respawn there, but only after a reboot from a crash as it will not reload after a crash. Now I get kicked back to the load up screen at the same spot each and every time, which is during the first real mission where Lamar and Franklin are going to repo the Bike. It happens right where the cut scene should initiate as Franklin should start opening the garage door or as I read in the walkthrough book at work. I also read that if you failed a mission 3 times, that you could skip it, so I thought I would try that out and see if I could finally get past this. After driving my car through the fence and failing this the required 3x's I got that option and accepted it......but it keeps going back to this mission!?! I am really losing my mind and my patience has already left a while ago.........I am also out of $60 and ROCKSTAR NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!! I know that they don't want this problem to get to much coverage, so they will probably ignore us as long as they can, so they can keep selling their faulty game. We need to use these forums and our words to pressure for a fix. I wish us all luck towards a day when we can all enjoy this purchase, which will be my final if something is not done soon!!!

TRRKKW0W

First time ever writing in a forum and this is out of complete anger and frustration!?! It's been 6 days since purchasing GTA 5 and I am losing my mind, time, sleep and in the process, all hopes of playing this game. Let me start by saying that I have an Xbox slim, purchased for as a gift for me, last december @ Wal-mart as a Skylander bundle and given to me for christmas. My kids bought me this, because they knew that GTA 5 would be coming and my Xbox had died of the RROD. So, this freezing issue is not just happening to the older machines. I also do have an HDMI port and have tried this as well as every other method described by posters here; Installing Disc one to HDD, to USB(3 new USB's in total), installing disc 2, not installing and Etc. I also have a 4gb slim, but took my old HDD and opened it and added it to my slim. In the beginning I was freezing on the very first words of the game ( 9 years pre...), but eventually got to franklins safehouse only to have it start freezing there as soon as I would leave his bedroom. Many reinstalls later, I was able to save at his house and can now respawn there, but only after a reboot from a crash as it will not reload after a crash. Now I get kicked back to the load up screen at the same spot each and every time, which is during the first real mission where Lamar and Franklin are going to repo the Bike. It happens right where the cut scene should initiate as Franklin should start opening the garage door or as I read in the walkthrough book at work. I also read that if you failed a mission 3 times, that you could skip it, so I thought I would try that out and see if I could finally get past this. After driving my car through the fence and failing this the required 3x's I got that option and accepted it......but it keeps going back to this mission!?! I am really losing my mind and my patience has already left a while ago.........I am also out of $60 and ROCKSTAR NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!! I know that they don't want this problem to get to much coverage, so they will probably ignore us as long as they can, so they can keep selling their faulty game. We need to use these forums and our words to pressure for a fix. I wish us all luck towards a day when we can all enjoy this purchase, which will be my final if something is not done soon!!!

3 days here brother. STUCK ON THIS f*ckING MAIN MISSION. im goign to try to see if i can manage to fail it 3 tiems without crashing

sil3nt hill

any one have the phone number of rockstar i will fu**k this sh**it hhh

TRRKKW0W

any one have the phone number of rockstar i will fu**k this sh**it hhh

did it crash for u again?

sil3nt hill

no i just want to help you guys out

TRRKKW0W

:@ IM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF INSTEAD OF CRYING i even know the whole dialogue this is getting crazy i just need to pass this specific mission :@

DaMan5one8

3 days here brother. STUCK ON THIS f*ckING MAIN MISSION. im goign to try to see if i can manage to fail it 3 tiems without crashing

I hope it works for you! I just really want to play this damn game!?! I was going to go and get a new copy, but after reading this forum, not sure that will help. I may do it anyway as I am totally out of ideas on what to do and I am soooooooooo effing mad at this point!?!

TRRKKW0W

I hope it works for you! I just really want to play this damn game!?! I was going to go and get a new copy, but after reading this forum, not sure that will help. I may do it anyway as I am totally out of ideas on what to do and I am soooooooooo effing mad at this point!?!

dude i managed to f*ckING FAIL 3 TIEMS AND GUESS WHAT? IT DOSENT SKIP THE MISSION IT SKIPS THE CHECKPOINT TO THE NEXT ONE IM f*ckING CRASHING AT AAAAAAAAAAA

sil3nt hill

guys i dont think that R* are working on a patch right now

DaMan5one8

What's really sad is that we are in here writing, when we are supposed to be PLAYING THE EFFIN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCKSTAR PLZZZZZZZZ HELP USSSSSS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

.JimmyHopkins.

How much space does it take to have both dics installed? Thanks.

Without looking, around 14GB for both discs. I'm not turning the thing off to check now it's working.

TRRKKW0W

Ok to who ever is crashing on a exact SPOT OF A MISSION, just try to f*cking kill urself 3 times on a spot u know it wont crash for 5 secs.

im traying to do this but it keeps crashing on my 2nd suicide, gonna unplug everything re-install and sh*t, last time i did it gave me more play time, see if i can manage to kill myself 3 times in 20 secs :sui:

purplebunny

Hey, I made it into a Kotaku article.

Not sure why the headline is older 360s when mine is an as new slim 250GB.

Anyway, 24 hours later the temporary fix from Xbox Support is still working for me.

misfits138

It's strange that you sometimes seem to get more play time after a reinstall, I've been reinstalling but keeping my save file and each time I'll get a little further into the game before it freezes. I just can't bring myself to play that tutorial again.

Edited by misfits138

purplebunny

purplebunny

what was your problem ?

Nearly every issue you can think of. Freezing, lagging, pop-in, blurred textures, vanishing roads, low-FPS, not loading past the "loading story" screen, device error and so on. All fixed by what Xbox Support told me to do. This is on a 250GB Slim, not an 'older model.'

Edited by purplebunny