4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Jimmy7685

Getting a Terrible Resolution

Question

Jimmy7685

My game looks BAD. ive made sure 480 720 1080i and 1080p resolutions are enabled on my playstation 3 but the game still looks so aliased and ugly, anything farther than a few car lengths ahead has REALLY jagged edges. I can hardly play it, so maddening. Is this game just ugly ?

edit: also I AM using HDMI on a 1080p capable PC Monitor

Edited by Jimmy7685

S1lpion

Ok i have the same issue, original Xbox from the release day with 60gb hard drive (after install disc 1 still have 10gb free) playing on a 32" Sony TV and Xbox is running at 1080p in the settings running through componant and it looks bad.

I actually told people at work and i assumed this was how it 'just' looked so 3 people are not touching it with a barge pole.

Not sure what my TV settings are on. I also made a reddit post to see if we can get more and more people on this as well as creating a ticket with Rockstar.

Please upvote it!

www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/1mpx8p/xbox360_display_issues_jagged_edges/

Edited by S1lpion

Laarz

Hey all

Just posting to say that i too have these same issues.

I have a ps3 320gig on a 24Inch samsung monitor and the game looks AWFUL.

I truly hope that there is a solution to this and its not just the case that its just how the game looks.

Part of me is thinking the game just looks this bad and all the ppl saying it doesnt are in denial or something lol.

Anyhow i will keep testing different things my next step is im gonna use my friends ps3 on my downstairs 32inch tv and see how that fairs i'll post back later with results good luck guys.

OscillatorSlave

Hey all

I truly hope that there is a solution to this and its not just the case that its just how the game looks.

Part of me is thinking the game just looks this bad and all the ppl saying it doesnt are in denial or something lol.

Anyhow i will keep testing different things my next step is im gonna use my friends ps3 on my downstairs 32inch tv and see how that fairs i'll post back later with results good luck guys.

Thrust me, when you use the word "awful" to describe GTA5's graphics there is def something wrong.

it's the most polished beautiful game I ever played.

66night

Still not working with the play disk installed on a USB....

RatedRviper

Same thing.I play on my 250GB X360 Slim,both discs installed,720p 32" Philips HDTV.Jaggies are HORRIBLE during day,but in the evening,night and early morning game looks awesome almost without any aliasing at all....

Countryside looks terrible too.

Edited by RatedRviper

Iplaynl

This is what mine looks like. See the cars and the wall pipe? It's all jaggered. I'm over this...http://postimg.org/image/5qisaibyv/

Exactly the same for me, and still no f*ckin answer from rockstar.

66night

This is what mine looks like. See the cars and the wall pipe? It's all jaggered. I'm over this...http://postimg.org/image/5qisaibyv/

Just curious... Where did you buy you're from?? GameStop?

gee85

Hey all

Thrust me, when you use the word "awful" to describe GTA5's graphics there is def something wrong.

it's the most polished beautiful game I ever played.

Any reason you won't take a photo to show us how yours looks so that we can compare?

It would be very helpful.

Jackal.

I've emailed about it, but haven't heard anything back yet.

It's weird look at something close up with the sniper, game looks great no jagged edges but if you looked at something in the distance you can see so much jagged edges.

Xorbex

Just to add to the collected info. I am also having the same issues. Driving is near impossible as i can't see whats happening ahead of me more than a few car lengths away. You can forget about chase scenes as I can't see the vehicle if it gets to far ahead as its all a blurred jagged mess.

Setup

Xbox - install disc installed on hdd

Samsung un55f7500 through hdmi on game mode

Iplaynl

Just curious... Where did you buy you're from?? GameStop?

Pre-ordered it from Bol.com, a dutch retailer.

Mimen

Here we go,

DSC_5981.jpg

Can you please post a pic of you in traffic in the city during day time - I'm pretty sure it will look similar to the rest of us.

Here is mine

DSC_5984.jpg

Recklessdoc

I bought mine from GameStop, it looks horrible. My buddy bought his from Best Buy and said it looks awesome. Nothing like mine. Are there any stamps on the game case or disc that we could post that would indicate anything with the manufacturing, like the date created, factory it came from, batch number, things like that? I'll look when I get home, but maybe that would indicate something if all the bad ones came from the same couple places/batches and all the good ones from a different factory or batch number? It's a thought.

66night

I bought mine from GameStop, it looks horrible. My buddy bought his from Best Buy and said it looks awesome. Nothing like mine. Are there any stamps on the game case or disc that we could post that would indicate anything with the manufacturing, like the date created, factory it came from, batch number, things like that? I'll look when I get home, but maybe that would indicate something if all the bad ones came from the same couple places/batches and all the good ones from a different factory or batch number? It's a thought.

I bought mine from ebgames (same as GameStop) in Australia. My brother had the same issue and we returned the game and got another one and the same issue occurred, I might return it and buy one from another store (not ebgames)

OscillatorSlave

How can the store make a difference... All games come from rockstar...

Also for the people asking for pics of my game, I can't with this crappy smartphone. But I wouldn't sh*t you guys, mine is smooth as f*ck.

Edited by OscillatorSlave

reiniat

Hey, i HAD the same jaggie issue in my 1080p, 40" Bravia, so i switched to my 1080p 22" gaming monitor.... Same problem.

BUT THEN, i switched to my awfully old 18" 1280X800!!! monitor for my dinosaur PC (i didnt even knew i still had it) and after messing a bit with the settings i came to ALMOST ZERO jaggies :). Of course, the 360 has no 1280x800 mode, so i chose the 1280x720 and scaled the image with the monitor (the difference is slim).

Also i started to mess around with the Sony Bravia settings; if you have a LCD or a plasma screen then you can deactivate the gaming mode, and use the post-processing options, especially white balance, MPEG noise reduction, and sharpness (im using a spanish screen so i dont know how this settings are correctly spelled in english). In my Bravia LCD theres no image delay when i deactivated the gaming mode, EXCEPT with some gray tones, and the image looks much better.

However, the post-processing in LED screens causes an easily noticeable delay in the image, it makes some console games look WAY WAY BETTER (almost like Isotropic PC filtering), but the delay makes this option nonviable.

So to resume:

If you want less jaggies find a small screen that has a native resolution closer to 720p (even 1366x768 seems to work after scaling). Or deactivate the gaming mode on your screen and play with the settings, set white balance and MPEG noise reduction to high, play with the sharpness slider (too much and there will be jaggies, but too little and it looks awful). But it only works on screens with a small delay on post-processing mode.

Also as a side note: theres actually a very small amount of console titles that run at 1080p (Fallout: New Vegas and COD 3 come to my mind), but the scaling in the 360 is pretty decent.... THE PROBLEM is that it seems that GTA V uses 2 buffers, one for long distances and one for short distances, and obviously the one for long distances is rendering at a resolution INFERIOR to 720p. Theres other games that had done this, like Halo 3 or Halo Reach but those games use special techniques to eliminate jaggies.

I hope this helps, english is not my first language, so i hope my message was clear enough :)

Mimen

Hey, i HAD the same jaggie issue in my 1080p, 40" Bravia, so i switched to my 1080p 22" gaming monitor.... Same problem.

BUT THEN, i switched to my awfully old 18" 1280X800!!! monitor for my dinosaur PC (i didnt even knew i still had it) and after messing a bit with the settings i came to ALMOST ZERO jaggies :). Of course, the 360 has no 1280x800 mode, so i chose the 1280x720 and scaled the image with the monitor (the difference is slim).

Also i started to mess around with the Sony Bravia settings; if you have a LCD or a plasma screen then you can deactivate the gaming mode, and use the post-processing options, especially white balance, MPEG noise reduction, and sharpness (im using a spanish screen so i dont know how this settings are correctly spelled in english). In my Bravia LCD theres no image delay when i deactivated the gaming mode, EXCEPT with some gray tones, and the image looks much better.

However, the post-processing in LED screens causes an easily noticeable delay in the image, it makes some console games look WAY WAY BETTER (almost like Isotropic PC filtering), but the delay makes this option nonviable.

So to resume:

If you want less jaggies find a small screen that has a native resolution closer to 720p (even 1366x768 seems to work after scaling). Or deactivate the gaming mode on your screen and play with the settings, set white balance and MPEG noise reduction to high, play with the sharpness slider (too much and there will be jaggies, but too little and it looks awful). But it only works on screens with a small delay on post-processing mode.

Also as a side note: theres actually a very small amount of console titles that run at 1080p (Fallout: New Vegas and COD 3 come to my mind), but the scaling in the 360 is pretty decent.... THE PROBLEM is that it seems that GTA V uses 2 buffers, one for long distances and one for short distances, and obviously the one for long distances is rendering at a resolution INFERIOR to 720p. Theres other games that had done this, like Halo 3 or Halo Reach but those games use special techniques to eliminate jaggies.

I hope this helps, english is not my first language, so i hope my message was clear enough :)

If that was the case ( the two buffer issue, that does make sense ) why isnt everybody having these issues. I am using an old 37" lg lcd tv in 1080p all default settings and its fine

Edited by Mimen

NickMann250

Ok...

So it isn't a TV problem nor is it limited to Xbox or 360.

Someone said they tried a different copy of the game and it worked perfectly? I find this hard to believe but hey it worked for them. I'm so lost

reiniat

If that was the case ( the two buffer issue, which makes sense ) why isnt everybody got the same issues? i have been using a 37" inch tv with default settings. Not even i high spec telly and everything is fine.

One explanation is that the screen you use matters A LOT, not just because of the specs, but becuase of human PERCEPTION, as example the trick that Halo Reach uses to cover its jaggies is to circle objects with a black coat, the resolution is the same but the dark color makes them harder to notice. And you can achieve something like that playing with the black and white values on your screen.

Or, maybe you have a pretty low level of sharpness and you havent noticed it, could you post a picture?

Another possible explanation is that old tech works better in old tech.... Ill explain, as far as i know theres only two engines that can successfully run games at 1080p in consoles, the Gamebryo and the Quake 3 hibrid abomination used for COD games, and this engines are 2005 tech, and the Xbox 360 is 2005 tech. The same goes for screens, older screens will most likely look better even tough the game is the same. Why? I have no idea at all, but i have strong evidence that this is true XD.

Ok...

Someone said they tried a different copy of the game and it worked perfectly? I find this hard to believe but hey it worked for them. I'm so lost

The only difference between 2 discs is the format, PAL for Europe and Asia, and NTSC for the rest of the world, PAL has slightly less resolution, but i dont think thats the problem.

Besides PAL disks dont work on NTSC consoles, neither the other way around.

And Xbox 360 and Xbox Slims are all the same.

So it must be a screen problem, watch my previous posts to see a possible fix.

Needless to say this is quite weird stuff....

Edited by reiniat

Recklessdoc

Also for the people asking for pics of my game, I can't with this crappy smartphone. But I wouldn't sh*t you guys, mine is smooth as f*ck.

Actually with big releases a lot of times the publisher will contract with several factories to press the discs to make enough quantity to keep up with demand especially at launch.

I used to work at Target and believe it or not a few times we had to pull a game or movie because we got a bad batch from whichever factory and for some reason it would freeze on people or whatever. It was rare but it did happen. So it is possible one place where the game was manufactured could have screwed something up and then boom 100,000 copies that followed weren't pressed right. Or maybe somewhere at R* they accidentally sent the wrong version or build of the game to one of the facilities. Who knows? That's why lots of discs are stamped and labeled with codes-so when reports of something wrong comes in they can investigate and trace the problem back to the source.

Reading everything here it seems to be the only thing that remotely makes sense. Trade with a friend who has a good copy of the game and see if its better for you and worse for them. Lets figure this out!!

Mimen

If that was the case ( the two buffer issue, which makes sense ) why isnt everybody got the same issues? i have been using a 37" inch tv with default settings. Not even i high spec telly and everything is fine.

One explanation is that the screen you use matters A LOT, not just because of the specs, but becuase of human PERCEPTION, as example the trick that Halo Reach uses to cover its jaggies is to circle objects with a black coat, the resolution is the same but the dark color makes them harder to notice. And you can achieve something like that playing with the black and white values on your screen.

Or, maybe you have a pretty low level of sharpness and you havent noticed it, could you post a picture?

Another possible explanation is that old tech works better in old tech.... Ill explain, as far as i know theres only two engines that can successfully run games at 1080p in consoles, the Gamebryo and the Quake 3 hibrid abomination used for COD games, and this engines are 2005 tech, and the Xbox 360 is 2005 tech. The same goes for screens, older screens will most likely look better even tough the game is the same. Why? I have no idea at all, but i have strong evidence that this is true XD.

Ok...

The only difference between 2 discs is the format, PAL for Europe and Asia, and NTSC for the rest of the world, PAL has slightly less resolution, but i dont think thats the problem.

Besides PAL disks dont work on NTSC consoles, neither the other way around.

And Xbox 360 and Xbox Slims are all the same.

So it must be a screen problem, watch my previous posts to see a possible fix.

Needless to say this is quite weird stuff....

I have posted plenty of pictures. Please read the thread all the way through

Jackal.

Well mine was from Amazon UK.

NickMann250

I'm gonna go buy a 360 version and give it a try

66night

Yeah that's what I was getting at... Possibly a bad batch

zacoman

Actually with big releases a lot of times the publisher will contract with several factories to press the discs to make enough quantity to keep up with demand especially at launch.

I used to work at Target and believe it or not a few times we had to pull a game or movie because we got a bad batch from whichever factory and for some reason it would freeze on people or whatever. It was rare but it did happen. So it is possible one place where the game was manufactured could have screwed something up and then boom 100,000 copies that followed weren't pressed right. Or maybe somewhere at R* they accidentally sent the wrong version or build of the game to one of the facilities. Who knows? That's why lots of discs are stamped and labeled with codes-so when reports of something wrong comes in they can investigate and trace the problem back to the source.

Reading everything here it seems to be the only thing that remotely makes sense. Trade with a friend who has a good copy of the game and see if its better for you and worse for them. Lets figure this out!!

Stop , you have no idea what you are talking about

Edited by zacoman

Jackal.

Okay when looking through the snapmatic camera jaggies appear to almost (mostly) disappear. Which is interesting.

Anyone else try this and see what they think?

Find a area that is especially jaggy and look through the snapmatic camera and see the difference.

Recklessdoc

I bet if we played this on an SD Tube TV it would look awesome!

subpar gta graphics

Hey, this is what I sent to Rockstar:

I am experiencing a lot of jagged edges and a lack of sharpness as well as muddy textures in houses, cars, and even the characters clothes. Most noticeable during day. A lot of people are claiming the game is beautiful but the lines and textures are distracting and noticeable for me. Graphic fidelity doesn't seem to be on par with videos I've seen online as well other gamers who have posted pics with much clearer and better graphics. I haven't cleared my cache. I might but others online said that didn't work. FYI, I installed the install disc and am playing off the play disc. I have one of the old 360's from 2006-2007.

Edited by subpar gta graphics

atix

Ok. Reporting back after messing around with my Sony Bravia (old one, only does 720P max).

It got a TINY TINY TINY bit better than my Asus 1080P LCD and my gf's Samsung LED 1080P. (both of them do NOT scale to 1080P, by that i mean: if the game does 720P max they will scale down to 720P).

So yeah...i don't know what else to do.

Let's hope Rockstar does something about it (Doubt they even know what's causing it tbh).