4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Jimmy7685

Getting a Terrible Resolution

Question

Jimmy7685

My game looks BAD. ive made sure 480 720 1080i and 1080p resolutions are enabled on my playstation 3 but the game still looks so aliased and ugly, anything farther than a few car lengths ahead has REALLY jagged edges. I can hardly play it, so maddening. Is this game just ugly ?

edit: also I AM using HDMI on a 1080p capable PC Monitor

Edited by Jimmy7685

Franklin Clinton

Using xbox slim and sony bravia 32in. Same problem i've spent hours trying to fix it but no luck go gave up and figured it must be just the way it is. Went around to a mates for a beer and his looks ALOT better than mine with his slim and 46in samsung. I then took his copy of the game home and it looked alot better with my set up and his game not as good as his 46in samsung but alot better than my copy of the game.

Soooo could there be bad copy's of the game floating around?

Hmmm weird stuff.... I've tried everything under the sun at the moment and the game looks like crap.

I have taken my copy back to ebgames and gotten a new copy and it did the same thing. I'm thinking of getting a refund and buying one from a different store maybe.

My brother has the exact same issue. But he's playing on the older Xbox

I forgot to mention the game looks fine when its night time. Only seems to be during the day it doesn't look good for me.

What mine looks like

vs0h.jpg

8vjk.jpg

Edited by Franklin Clinton

atix

I've given up.

Like i said previously, tried on 3 different TV/monitors (not only different Inches, but different brands as well), changed all the settings to see if i noticed any improvements, tried with 3 different HDMI cables (ranging from cheap "crap" one to more expensive fast one).

Also tried changing the ps3 resolution/rgb thingie settings.

NOTHING worked. Not even a bit that i could say "Hey...it looks a tiny bit better". NOTHING.

I'll simply play the game the way it is. I still love it and have a blast because the gameplay > the graphics.

It's a shame but hey...we can always wait for Nextgen for improved graphics ^_^

sagemred

Using xbox slim and sony bravia 32in. Same problem i've spent hours trying to fix it but no luck go gave up and figured it must be just the way it is. Went around to a mates for a beer and his looks ALOT better than mine with his slim and 46in samsung. I then took his copy of the game home and it looked alot better with my set up and his game not as good as his 46in samsung but alot better than my copy of the game.

Soooo could there be bad copy's of the game floating around?

Hmmm weird stuff.... I've tried everything under the sun at the moment and the game looks like crap.

I have taken my copy back to ebgames and gotten a new copy and it did the same thing. I'm thinking of getting a refund and buying one from a different store maybe.

My brother has the exact same issue. But he's playing on the older Xbox

I forgot to mention the game looks fine when its night time. Only seems to be during the day it doesn't look good for me.

Yeah mine looks stunning at night, can't really see any aliasing at all. I guess all the filters on the night 'background' with the lighting effects and all make it less defined and less aliased. In the daytime there's nothing to hide the ugliness...

EDIT: Having said that, it seems like even close-up objects like the edges of my car have less aliasing at night...

Edited by sagemred

Jackal.

Well that sucks that theres no solution for it. And even weirder that it's happening to some people and not others.

atix

Well that sucks that theres no solution for it. And even weirder that it's happening to some people and not others.

Yeah, it really is weird. There are tons of ppl complaining about the same thing.

And even weirder is that they (the most part) do NOT share anything in common.

It happens in both Xbox/PS3.

It happens in both physical and Digital versions.

It happens in different brands/sizes of tv's/monitors

It happens using different kinds and brands of HDMI cables

It happens using component cable

One could say that the people saying they don't have problems are in denial lol, but looking at some TRUE HD videos on youtube (in full-screen) you can see that some ppl really do not have this problem.

Faulty console? No way. Every single game i have runs perfectly fine, and this one too, except the jagged lines.

Faulty disk? No way, or the game wouldn't even run properly. Besides, we have the report from a player here in the forums, saying that he went back to the store, traded the game for another brand new copy and the new one did the same.

All we can do is wait for Rockstar to say something about this issue, but i honestly doubt they will do something. The same happened with GTA IV, yet nothing was done.

Well, here's to hoping the game will come out for Next-gens systems as well. I know i'll get it instantly for my PS4.

Edited by atix

sgnap

Anyone tried with VGA cable?

Doby

Got the same problem, glad im not alone.

Tried the USB install, nothing really happend for me but i've heard it worked for some people. Tried to change TV from my 32" to a 55" and it actually looked better for me, but there is still jagged line and motion blur, after driving around my eyes hurts. Even tho it looks better its far from how my friends games look, and when i use the 55" i got fps drops and freezes when im using that TV. Iam not using HDMI cable since theres a pin inside the HDMI port that is broken, going to a friends house today to see if theres something wrong with my GTA disc or see if its the xbox thats being the problem.

I'll keep in touch. Hopefully someone can solve this.

66night

Nope not yet

66night

Things I've tried UPDATED FROM PREVIOUS POST;

- reinstalled the game twice

- got a new copy

- changed settings on my tv

- changed Xbox settings (720 e.t.c)

- component cables and hdmi cables

- tried 4 different TVs (40" Sony Bravia led fullhd, 51" Samsung, 65" Samsung and a 42" Panasonic 3D tv, 23" Samsung monitor)

- deleted the game and reinstalled onto a powerful USB (16gb)

My brother has the exact same problem and he is playing off the old Xbox elite and I'm using the Xbox slim.

What the hell could it be? I'm out of ideas!

StangOne50

my tv is like 20 years old and it looks fine . on my LED the picture changes drastically depending on the picture size i choose .

How doe does it change?

should be in tv menu ... on my remote it says p.size and i can choose between 4 or 5 different picture sizes and the game looks different on all of them

sgnap

Someone try with VGA cable, please.

Mimen

Mine is fine.

Xbox slim, play disc not installed, Hdmi cable and normal LG 37" telly.

DSC_5980.jpg

And another

IMG-20130919-WA0000.jpg

Mimen

Silly question. Are the people having problems playing in the NTSC region or PAL region... Im in PAL (Scotland).

atix

Mine is fine.

Xbox slim, play disc not installed, Hdmi cable and normal LG 37" telly.

DSC_5980.jpg

And another

IMG-20130919-WA0000.jpg

If you can please, set a random route on your GPS and take a photo of it.

also, if possible (sorry to bother) take a picture in the middle of traffic to see if the traffic has lots of jagged lines.

Franklin Clinton

Silly question. Are the people having problems playing in the NTSC region or PAL region... Im in PAL (Scotland).

I'm in PAL

atix

wow...what a difference. Mine looks like crap! ill try and upload some photos of my game so we can compare. I'll upload when i get home from work.

thank you mate.

HUGE difference.

îlîlîlîlîlî

Game looks very nice on my 50 inch plasma. There are jaggies, but only the inevitable ones.

peterock

mine is looking like mimens one.

but still i´m disappointed.

red dead on the xbox had lightyears better grafix than gta4.... la noire/max payne kept up the level of resolution and detail (ok max payne wasn´t open world).

and now we are sort of back to gta4 grafix? (in case of textures and resolution)

bad thing

Konvict VIVIVI

I have a 40" 2013 Samsung TV with a 360 S And PS3 connected via HDMI (different connections and cables), my 360 play disc is the only one installed at the moment (awaiting a USB drive to install play disc) both games look great during the day mini map GPS line is jagged though). However at night on my 360 dark textures/shadows look oily blue and horrible.

I did both the same areas at night one after the other with both machines on and it was an obvious difference.

No idea what's going on, had to register to say I'm having issues too.

Edit: My TV is LED backlit, my 360 is set to output at 1080p, with the TV showing a change in resolution to 720p when loading up GTA V. I am going to try swapping output of my 360 to 720p, just to eliminate. No other features enabled.

Edited by Konvict VIVIVI

Jackal.

Mimen is it LCD or LED? and are you running on 1080p? Any other features you have enabled game mode etc?

Mimen

Telly is LCD running at 1080p no fancy features enabled on the tv everything is default.

DSC_5983.jpg

Saying that i have tried different "picture modes" and it just makes it look bad.

atix

Telly is LCD running at 1080p no fancy features enabled on the tv everything is default.

DSC_5983.jpg

Saying that i have tried different "picture modes" and it just makes it look bad.

Looks exactly like mine! omg lol. Looks like you broke into my house and played my game haha.

Just like i said earlier: 10 meters and beyond = JAGGED LIKE HELL!

methwow92

tried with VGA same sh*t

Jackal.

Hmmm I'm just wondering whether it's to do with being a LCD rather than a LED, also possibly that it's running on 60HZ compared to a higher one? Same for mine too, I just can't get my finger on it.

atix

Hmmm I'm just wondering whether it's to do with being a LCD rather than a LED, also possibly that it's running on 60HZ compared to a higher one? Same for mine too, I just can't get my finger on it.

Nope. I tried with my LCD monitor and my Gf's LED monitor. Same result in both.

atix

DSC_5983.jpg

what did you change to make it look this bad?

I'm interested because like i said, this is exactly how mine looks.

If we can trace the thing you changed to make it this jaggy, we might find the solution.

Mimen

changed it from default to game mode..

Its in 60Hz cos its a PAL tv and xbox, even tho the game is region free.

atix

changed it from default to game mode..

Its in 60Hz cos its a PAL tv and xbox, even tho the game is region free.

thank you so much. I tried that in my 3 different monitors/tv. Ofc it differs from brand to brand but still... nothing.

I don't want to push your good will my friend, but would it be going too far and ask you to take a photo of you in traffic (during daylight if possible) using the TV in default, and another in the exact same spot on Game mode?

Sorry for all the trouble and thank you so much.

Edited by atix