Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,947 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Prometheus

[Install] Xbox 360 Play Disc HDD Installation Issue

Question

Prometheus

So it seems that installing the Second/'Play' disc to your X360's hard drive isn't recommended; as you'll notice texture pop-in issues. Digital Foundry suggests to install it to a USB Flash Drive + made a wee comparison video below for V's Play disc installed on HDD and a Flash drive.

So that's one solution. Perhaps there are alternate ways to fix this problem? Post your related issues/theories/idea/etc below.

Useful Posts:

Hey there,

Thought I would post how I solved my pop-in texture problem. Hopefully it will help someone else.

My initial setup : Disk One installed to an Old 360 Pro with 20GB Hard drive. Play disk installed to an older usb hard drive (500GB) that shows up as not meeting minimum performance requirements.

I figured it was the usb drive that was the problem, so I went out and bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB (it did meet the minimum performance requirements.) I installed Play disk to this usb and still had the same exact pop-up problems as before (I used the Eurogamer Digital Foundry method of testing the intro cut scene.)

I knew it had to be my 360's hard drive, so I moved my Disk One install to the new Sandisk and left the Play disk on the old usb hard drive. This solved the problem for me.

I haven't tried to format my 360's hard drive to see if that works. Might try that later, but for now, installing to two different usb flash drives seems to work great.

TL;DR If you're still having pop up problems even when you install the Play disk to a usb flash drive, it's probably your 360's hard drive.

So to summarise.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 DVD - if you have pop in, your DVD drive is faulty.

Disk 1 HDD Disk 2 Flash Drive >15mbs - if you still have pop in your HDD is faulty

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive Disk 2 DVD - Has anyone tried this?

Disk 1 ~ Flash Drive (1) Disk 2 ~ Flash Drive (2) - does this work?

I have problems with disk 1 HDD and disk 2 DVD. No crashes but severe pop in and jaggedness, will revert with answer if this solves the problem

Useful Links:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/593023-if-you-have-an-xbox360-read-this/

Edited by Prometheus

Salvadormendez444444

I installed both discs like this

Disc 1: 32GB USB Kingston Data Traveler G3

Disc 2: 16GB USB Kingston DT (Data Traveler) 101 G2

Hope it helps!

hacel bellic

hi guys iam a new user i also have some problem with the gta 5 play disc in my xbox 360 elite if i play the disc it goes to the homescreen please help

KingReflex

PS3 BLU RAY FTW!!! MWAHAHAHA!

adoreonerr

i just put my game in my ps3 , no issue!

JoshDa1

Please give step by step and if I install play disc to usb, do I need to put in the play disc to xbox with plugged in usb or just leave the play disc and plug in the usb without the play disc?

bigrob426

I just bought GTA V today and after going through over two hours of hell I figured out my problem people listen to this first you install disc two then disc one it may take awhile for disc one to install though oh and must have a 360 hard drive or if u don't use a 16 gig flash drive

or bigger I am using a 32 gig flashdrive right now and it may sound backwards but so far its working for me I shouldn't have any problems with freezing or crashing as I have a 2013 XBOX360 mine is black those who own the 2008 or older need to upgrade to avert the problems I've heard abt with those older 360s tht r playing GTA V or having the red ring of death problems ill find out how GTA V plays tmw for now good night

rizwan1986

hi guys im new to this forum im here with a big dissappointmnt coz yesterday i bought the new gta V and a 16 gb xbox usb drive..but despite all of this it isnt wrking in my xbox 360...can nyne pls help me...wen i insert the disc click play it shows the disc is unreadable....very disapointed pls help... :cry:

high91

Seriously I run both disks off my 250gb with NO problems at all, even since day one. I have never once had a frame rate issue or serious pop-in (except when driving extremely fast) :)

I think a lot of these problems are down to the fact your consoles are old and at breaking point, your hard drives are crapping out, lack of FREE space after the installation, also some of you must be doing it wrong somehow.

Make sure your xbox is the latest DASH too. (for those who don't update their consoles)

Before you install any game CLEAR YOUR CACHE (and tidy up the hard drive from data you don't need)

Time to upgrade your memory too :) ... Either in the form of a 'SAN DISK CRUZER POP 32gb' (google it) or....a 250gb HD. Better yet, new console with hard drive. I did and it runs so smooth, after a stress free installation and installing the second disc to my hdd. I also never had problems connecting to GTA online from day one using a 3G dongle :) mega stuff over here :^:

Virus115

Is it safe to install the install disc to a usb connected external harddrive with performance warning?

MeowMix99914

do i still not install disk 2?

lazloisdavrock

do i still not install disk 2?

you dont have to, but if you want to, install the second disc onto a flash drive, rather than the HDD. it overloads the sata controlller on the 360 and causes pop in.

I recommend installing, as you dont want your disc drive spinning for hours on end while you play. reduces its life span

gamefriik200

I have 14 GB usb will that work