Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,147 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Indi

GTA V's Budget Was £170,000,000

double071990

if you read that correctly you would see that that price isnt for making the game but rather just its marketing budget.

Jimmy Darmody

if you read that correctly you would see that that price isnt for making the game but rather just its marketing budget.

Lol, that much money to market GTA? The game doesn't need marketeeing, the franchise markets itself :D

FranklinDeRoosevelt

No. You're just an idiot who can't read. What kind of company spends £170 million advertising their game? No one does that. I bet £140-50 million was spent on the game and the rest on the advertisement.

32brownsfan

Next GTA's budget will be 1 Billion $'s

Strani

Wow, that's just two Gareth Bales!

Anonamix

WOW. I had no idea GTAV cost so much. That is epic.

OatMuffin

They use all that money to make an amazing game for us. Then they sell it for 60$

lulz

Film companies only make $10 - $20 per ticket after spending hundreds of millions creating a movie.

Edited by OatMuffin

jogy

:lol:

Veul

Rockstar will make all of that back and more on September 17th alone.

Figuring in the cost of patches (and I'm not even talking about the development cost, I'm talking about what Microsoft & Sony charge the developers to have patches which isn't cheap at all) and the cost of maintaining the online servers over the next few years they're not going to be turning as much profit as it may appear.

Don't know if you know but Microsoft stopped charging for patches since last year because of the next gen announcement.

Edited by Veul

swagbucks

thats $265,778,000 in USD, for my American fam` ya'll,

thanks we all appreciate that. :cool:

AlasClarin

Believable, 5 Years development, new technology, made their own engine, salaries.. Imagine paying 200 people 40k per year for 5 years while not releasing one game.

The engine was already done with GTA IV, so no, they didn't make a new engine...

Edited by AlasClarin

FranklinDeRoosevelt

He's the most overrated f*cker in the history of football right NOW.

stobe187

Yeah 270 million dollars into making a game that doesn't even have fishing in it...pathetic

Get a f*cking life. Who gives a sh*t about fishing, is that what you do for a living? This game is GTA not fishing simulator. We still have other mini games.

hahah how can you be so blind to sarcasm

FranklinDeRoosevelt

Yeah 270 million dollars into making a game that doesn't even have fishing in it...pathetic

Get a f*cking life. Who gives a sh*t about fishing, is that what you do for a living? This game is GTA not fishing simulator. We still have other mini games.

hahah how can you be so blind to sarcasm

My bad. But how can I tell if that was sarcasm or not? Where's the sarcasm emoticon and if you put an exclamation mark at the end, i would have realised :lol:

Starz

Wow, didn't think it would be that much! It surely has to be the biggest console game budget ever?

PVieira21

Believable, 5 Years development, new technology, made their own engine, salaries.. Imagine paying 200 people 40k per year for 5 years while not releasing one game.

40K ? Do you have any idea how much graphic designers make alone? Try 120K and that's not even the lead designers or code creators.

Mr Disappoint

Holy mother of Christ...

PVieira21

Money well spent!

I know this has nothing to do with GTA, but dude your Evo it's amazing, it's so flush man :panic:

Aeleys

That £170mil is Development AND Marketing ;) Marketing (aka hiring people to hand-paint all those buildings, leasing the advertising space on all those buildings, decaling up buses/trains, the taxes & fees for advertising, etc) cost a lot more then people think it does.

Gran Turismo 5 had a Development budget of $80mil (USD), I'm going to say that GTA:V is somewhere around £100mil in dev costs with the other £70mil going towards advertising and some of that advertising budget comes out of the parent Take2 budget and not the Rockstar one.

$265,778,000 (USD) at roughly $45 per game (let's say stores get $10 & $5 of each game goes towards pressing, packaging & shipping to stores which may or maynot be included in that budget number so Rockstar/Take2 only actually get $45 out of the $60 game) that would take only 5,906,178 copies of the game sold to break even.

Not a chance, they would of spent a maximum of $10M on advertisment.

$70M lol...with that much they could of made a movie/TV series as well as kept enough back to do the advertising they have already.

PVieira21

I think I read somewhere that GTA 5 grossed 1billion? Could be wrong.

thats what they predict over a year to make.

But in fact, it won't take a year. It's gonna happen in 6 months. Watch and learn.

Eh I would say a year to be safe, six months is cutting it short and over exaggerating quite a bit, but hey you never know!

tom_p1980

The engine was already done with GTA IV, so no, they didn't make a new engine...

They upgraded the RAGE engine from what was used on RDR which in turn was upgraded from the one used in GTA4. These upgrades and technological enhancements would still cost them money.

SpaggetAboutIt

There are Hollywood films that have smaller budgets than that.... wow.

Heh, the funny thing is there's practically one or two films in the history of Hollywood that can come close to that sort of budget.

FranklinDeRoosevelt

I think I read somewhere that GTA 5 grossed 1billion? Could be wrong.

thats what they predict over a year to make.

But in fact, it won't take a year. It's gonna happen in 6 months. Watch and learn.

Eh I would say a year to be safe, six months is cutting it short and over exaggerating quite a bit, but hey you never know!

The reason I said 6 months because it's not 2008 anymore, the console fanbase has probably tripled or even quadrupled therefore there is going to be a continious flow of cash going to Rockstar. It's really not exaggeration because IV made $500 million in the FIRST WEEK.

SpaggetAboutIt

That £170mil is Development AND Marketing ;) Marketing (aka hiring people to hand-paint all those buildings, leasing the advertising space on all those buildings, decaling up buses/trains, the taxes & fees for advertising, etc) cost a lot more then people think it does.

Gran Turismo 5 had a Development budget of $80mil (USD), I'm going to say that GTA:V is somewhere around £100mil in dev costs with the other £70mil going towards advertising and some of that advertising budget comes out of the parent Take2 budget and not the Rockstar one.

$265,778,000 (USD) at roughly $45 per game (let's say stores get $10 & $5 of each game goes towards pressing, packaging & shipping to stores which may or maynot be included in that budget number so Rockstar/Take2 only actually get $45 out of the $60 game) that would take only 5,906,178 copies of the game sold to break even.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

jlamay

I know what company I want to work with in the future of video games!! :lol::p

SpaggetAboutIt

There are Hollywood films that have smaller budgets than that.... wow.

O.M.G

GTA V IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ANY HOLLWOOD MOVIE EXCEPT PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: AT WORLDS END. IT EVEN BEATS SPIDER-MAN 3

Are you adjusting for inflation?

I wouldnt think inflation matters.... pirates of carribean and spider man 3 arent that long ago

I actually the figure on the third pirates movies on Wikipedia is wrong since the second and third movies were shot back to back with a shared budget. It's less than that. But anyway, if you adjust for inflation the 1963 cleopatra movie is the highest budgeted ever, making it 3 films. But that is completely insane to think a video game can even compare to those fims. No one would have imagined this 10 years ago.

Huso

so... how much will gta 6 cost? lol prob around 400-500mil

FranklinDeRoosevelt

so... how much will gta 6 cost? lol prob around 400-500mil

No, probably the same or less. Because the hardware is going to make it WAY WAY easier for them to develop it. It's only going to take 2-3 years to make the GTA's on the next gen now. But not good news for me as I'm never going to buy the next gen consoles unless I can pay for the subscription on the PS4 which I first wanted to get.