3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

OneManCrimeWave

TBOGT's Vibe Ruined the Series

Shadowfennekin

I didn't love it. I loved the features it introduced but I despise Luis.

B Dawg

The whole 'vibe' of The Ballad was over-the-top and entertaining. Everything was IN YOUR FACE and explosions were everywhere. There seems to be a split of people who like it vs. the people who don't. I'm kinda in between. I don't mind the rich and colorful atmosphere and the random crazy missions, but I don't necessarily like it being saturated. I really like the contrasts of all 3 protagonists stories.

In regards to it ruining the series, I think that it ruined the creativity of the art styles and atmosphere. GTA V is really colorful, but it lacks an overall atmosphere and underlying point to it. Rockstar decided to put in fast vehicles and have 94% of the missions explosive and dramatic for no reason.

Ah, there's so many points I wish to iterate, but a few people have already gotten to it already. Essentially, yes, TBoGT did ruin the series IMO. Too many explosions, fast vehicles, and not enough emphasis on character development is what it's guilty of.

TBOGT was the beginning of the end. Multiplayer exclusive vehicles, dumbed down deathmatches to small areas, did it also have killstreaks?, overall bad music (Vladivostok was good, sh*ts all over the new Electro Choc), forced zoom upon aiming, introduction of ugly vehicles that continued over to V (Bullet, F620 (a Super GT turned ugly), Buzzard, the motorcycles), etc...

Fast forward to V:

More bad music (seriously a pop station in GTA thats not the 80s stuff?, or Channel X the wannabe hardcore punk, LCHC sh*ts on it), forced hit confirm markers and flashing screens, in online all you see are RP pop-ups for kills in missions, multiplayer/pre-order exclusive vehicles, weapons with no bulletspread. It all started with TBOGT.

Edited by B Dawg

universetwisters

The only negative I saw that came from TBOGT that affected the series in general rather than TBOGT's own flaws is the inclusion of a mission rating system which was later passed over to V. But that aside, it was alright.

fefenc

The only thing I disliked on TBoGT is the Super Diamond, its handling is the nearest thing to an arcadish handling on IV trilogy

Edited by fefenc

theNGclan

The only negative I saw that came from TBOGT that affected the series in general rather than TBOGT's own flaws is the inclusion of a mission rating system which was later passed over to V. But that aside, it was alright.

How are mission ratings a bad thing? It gives you incentive to replay missions to get a better score.

American Venom

I know this wasn't refered to me, but personally speaking I think RDR does it the right way. I don't like in TBOGT and GTA V when it's shoved in my face.

It kind of feels like a mocking assessment than something to get me to play the mission again.

dognuts

I know this wasn't refered to me, but personally speaking I think RDR does it the right way. I don't like in TBOGT and GTA V when it's shoved in my face.

It kind of feels like a mocking assessment than something to get me to play the mission again.

That, and Red Dead didn't force you to take certain paths in a mission. I don't think it was time-based either. All it really was, was accuracy based. Missions where you herded cows was scored by the number herded, i think. It was a very simple score base.

Sergiu

TBOGT was made to show the other side of Liberty, the 'high life'.

It goes with TLAD and IV. TLAD and IV showing the darker side from two different perspectives (and being the main entries in the base storyline), TBOGT being on the other side of the border, showing all the good life and bright/colourful ambient. I personally go with IV and TLAD over TBOGT.
One thing's for certain though, TBOGT is sure as hell going well with TLAD and IV.

It did not ruin the vibe, it just showed how 'dynamic' could Liberty City actually be. How many layers there actually are. TBoGT and CTW (especially TBOGT) completed the saga, actually. Showed what Liberty City could actually be. If there's one thing I've just realized is that, all of these guys, they're not the main protagonists, there's only one, Liberty City.

Edited by CasualSergiu

Payne Killer

^it may show the high life of LC, but rockstar started their online exclusive cars, and the other crap in tbogt. Thats what i hated about it.

chainsoar

This topic. All my yes. I replayed all 3 before V came out and I loved IV, loved TLaD, then got about an hour into TBoGT and just didn't care enough to continue. Luis is boring, his friends are unbelievably dull and Tony is just kind of a mess.

In story terms I think what makes the difference is that Niko and Johnny, like all truly compelling protagonists, are dragging their way up from the gutter to a better life. In Niko's case he does OK in the end. Johnny's story is a little more complicated in that he really only goes from completely sh*t to slightly less sh*t. Luis, on the other hand, already has a well paying job, lots of high profile contacts, a nice apartment and a loving, if slightly overbearing, family. He already has everything he needs, eliminating the struggle, conflict and suffering from the story. His only problem is that his boss can't get his sh*t together.

universetwisters

How are mission ratings a bad thing? It gives you incentive to replay missions to get a better score.

Then you're replaying the missions just for the score factor as opposed to replaying it for your own pleasure and the likes

B Dawg

TLAD - High Life, Bright Side

TBOGT - Low Life, Dark Side

Ok guys everything is fixed :lol:

Edited by B Dawg

iiCriminnaaL 49

Bump.

TBOGT wanted to bring a similar atmosphere of Vice City's and some of San Andreas' features to Liberty City, which never worked well.

If we take a look at it, it's actually the opposite of what GTA Vice City was, because VC was a gritty game set in a glitzy city, whereas TBOGT is a glitzy (and silly themed) game set in a gritty city.

TheSantader25

VC was never gritty. 

Nope. 

TBOGT brought the GTA we knew from 3D era back into the HD era. Best DLC ever released next to undead nightmare. 

Vladistar_895

TBOGT It's the better DLC(for me) and didn't necesarily ruin GTA V.What of TBOGT ruined GTA V?I think the fun missions and undeveloped character.TBOGT character unlike GTA V were great(just undeveloped)and the"happy ending" thing.In TBOGT it was happy in contrast with TLAD and IV,but what happened with Tony,Yusuf and nightclubs remains unspecified.In GTA V,gets worse with two horrible fina,s and Option C which is a "fairytale" long and boring missions and nothing about the future is specified.SA was a great game,my 2nd best but copiyng SA is not a good thing to ge a good game.In V barber shops and tatto parlors are back toghether with planes and:90% of missions are COPY/PASTE OF IV&EFCL and SA.Really?That's a good game?I hope GTA V is just A FAILED experiment and the next GTA will be better.

CharlieSN95

I disagree. Yes, TBoGT does have a very different vibe than the other two games, but I feel it was a very welcome change to see a different side of the city. While IV was good and TLaD was great at exploring the dark and gritty side of Liberty City, TBoGT really displayed the fun and flashy side of it. 

iiCriminnaaL 49

What really gets on my nerves is how it's taken as "Liberty City is based on New York, which is not gritty by default", which was a reason why TBOGT was too "go happy" for a "crime-based" game. It's GTA, you're viewing the city from a criminal's point of view, not a tourist's.

American Venom
On 2/5/2019 at 1:08 AM, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

What really gets on my nerves is how it's taken as "Liberty City is based on New York, which is not gritty by default", which was a reason why TBOGT was too "go happy" for a "crime-based" game. It's GTA, you're viewing the city from a criminal's point of view, not a tourist's.

I think it's best to treat TBOGT as its own "thing". As a game I think it's quite good. The caged fighting is pretty fun and so are things like the drug wars, but when you start to consider it as part of the same saga as GTA IV and TLAD that's when it starts to feel a bit weird.

I still stand by that it feels like a side project R* did to cater for the 3D era fans that wanted all the bells and whistles. I wish there was another DLC centred on Packie or LJ that may have extended those guys' characters and it wouldn't feel at odds with the established gritty tone. 

universetwisters
On 2/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Have you ever been to New York City? It isn't like a constant shade of grit and depression, it's got it's nice parts south of Central Park on Manhattan that weren't really touched up on in IV other than for a couple of missions. 

>believing that an entire city has to be ugly just because of a few neighborhoods 

American Venom
4 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Have you ever been to New York City? It isn't like a constant shade of grit and depression, it's got it's nice parts south of Central Park on Manhattan that weren't really touched up on in IV other than for a couple of missions. 

>believing that an entire city has to be ugly just because of a few neighborhoods 

Well that's not what he was really saying. GTA IV bares a resemblance to NYC in its physical geography/landmarks, but the palette R* chose for it was more of a creative decision to heighten the fact it was set during Fall/Autumn which is why it has a heavy use of greys, whites, browns etc.

I get his point though. Playing TBOGT feels more like playing it through the eyes of a tourist whereas playing GTA IV and TLAD don't feel happy and "cheerful" like we're really seeing it through the eyes of a criminal trying to get by. The former set the precedent and TBOGT ignored it. Simple really.

billiejoearmstrong8
12 hours ago, American Venom said:

I get his point though. Playing TBOGT feels more like playing it through the eyes of a tourist whereas playing GTA IV and TLAD don't feel happy and "cheerful" like we're really seeing it through the eyes of a criminal trying to get by. The former set the precedent and TBOGT ignored it. Simple really.

That's what I like about it, you see the same city from three different viewpoints, focusing on different areas and themes.

I do think the TBOGT story was too silly at times, I feel like it could've been toned down with a bit more emotion added and still had a more cheerful and glitzy feel. I like the overall vibe though, particularly going to the clubs and the club management side mission.

American Venom
10 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

That's what I like about it, you see the same city from three different viewpoints, focusing on different areas and themes.

I do think the TBOGT story was too silly at times, I feel like it could've been toned down with a bit more emotion added and still had a more cheerful and glitzy feel. I like the overall vibe though, particularly going to the clubs and the club management side mission.

The vibe itself is alright. Infact I think it would suit Vice City like a hand in a glove, but speaking as purely a GTA IV fan it doesn't fit in with GTA IV's lore to me.

I can imagine GTA V fans would feel similar if GTA V had a DLC more reminiscent of GTA IV and TLAD. It would feel off to them.

As I said it's best to think of TBOGT as its own thing. TLAD and GTA IV go hand in hand though.

Sinner!

More like it showed another side to Liberty City's underground & gave the city more diversity in terms of its criminality & characters. 

If you think it ruined the vibe you probably just enjoy one-dimensional narratives & subplots which lack the quality of heterogeneity. 

Edited by Sinner!