Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,015 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
MHighbrow

Research on the moral landscape of GTAIV

MHighbrow

Hello GTAForums!

Would you like to take part in a questionnaire about Grand Theft Auto IV and help out a postgraduate dissertation?

My name is Alex Harby, and I’m currently doing a course in Landscape and Cultue at the University of Nottingham, UK. For my dissertation, I’m looking at the moral landscape of GTAIV: the political and social views that are written into Liberty City’s architecture and billboards, how the game encourages or discourages violence, and so on. The working title right now is "Liberty in Liberty City: Morality and the Landscape in Grand Theft Auto IV."

As part of this research, I’ve written a very quick questionnaire about the politics of GTAIV and what activities you like to do in the game (or liked to do, if you don’t play it much anymore.) I hoped that this might be something you at GTAForums would be interested in taking part in! The questionnaire is only a few pages long, and will only take five minutes to complete if you want to. All the information you provide will only be used to help my dissertation research, and won’t be used anywhere else – I’m not trying to advertise anything or do market research or anything.

Would this be something you’d like to take part in? If so, please click the link below (please note you must be 18 or over to take part due to university regulations):

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=kyf40uld2hjb89m166149

I’m afraid I can’t offer any money or prize draw, but it really is a very quick questionnaire, and you’d be doing me a big favour! If you’re not interested, then thank you for your time anyway.

Apologies if this post is missing any information you would like – I’ve had to rewrite this quickly because my laptop broke this morning with fantastic timing. Please ask in the thread if there’s anything you’d like clarified, or if there’s any problems with the questionnaire, and I’ll try to answer whenever I can.

Thanks for your interest!

Best wishes,

Alex Harby

[email protected]

(P.S. I’ve cleared posting this topic with Seddo beforehand, so at least one moderator knows I’m doing this.)

Tony Vitali

One of my favourite things to do is robbing armored trucks in the game. There wasn't that option in the survey. Also political aspect showed clearly illuminati (U.L. Paper).

TonyMontanaCDL

You know that no one plays Grand Theft Auto for high morals right?

chapapote
One of my favourite things to do is robbing armored trucks in the game. There wasn't that option in the survey. Also political aspect showed clearly illuminati (U.L. Paper).

Seriously, man. Illuminati? dozingoff.gif

MHighbrow

Thank you for all the responses so far! I have a new laptop now, so hopefully I'll be able to keep tabs on this topic a bit better.

You know that no one plays Grand Theft Auto for high morals right?

Yeah, I know there aren't many people who pick up a GTA game just to see what Rockstar thinks of American society. That's why I think it's interesting that Rockstar even bothers with the satire, especially since, as the Saints Row series shows, you can make a pretty successful sandbox game with no moral challenges posed whatsoever.

On an academic note, looking at the morals of GTAIV is also, I hope, a nice counterpoint to the human geography literature on games, a lot of which seems to be concerned with how war games show off American politics and violence completely uncritically - GTAIV is a game which is also pretty violent, but a bit more thoughtful about it.

One of my favourite things to do is robbing armored trucks in the game. There wasn't that option in the survey.

I forgot you could rob armoured trucks! Tomorrow's job is going to be trying to add that in without breaking the survey.

Darth_Starkiller

While no one buys the game exclusively for it, doesn't mean we don't appreciate it.

MHighbrow

Just popping in to say thanks again for the responses! I'm very close to finishing my write-up of the dissertation, so I'll take the results from the survey at about this time tomorrow.

Tony Vitali - I tried to add the armoured trucks option, but KwikSurveys won't let you add answers to a survey in progress without deleting all the responses you have so far, so I had to leave it out. Sorry!

EDIT 14th Sept: I'm going to collect the results now. You can still do the questionnaire if you like, but your responses may not be used. Thank you all once more for your help!

Edited by MHighbrow