3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

lazloisdavrock

Better than GTA Vice City?

UshaB

Vice City Stories ftw, due to a self righteous protagonist with great melee combat and just it being awesome.

Honker1944

It is better.Why?

-swimming

-planes

-empire building

-funny dialogues

-main character

Vic has a real personlity.Perhaps it is hypocritical psycho but he can take care of his freinds and I really like him for that :lol:

Cuthwy

In my opinion, original VC was better.

svanderman

I think VC was a better crime game. It was a bit strange to have Vic say he doesn't want crime in the cutscenes, and then have him brutally murder half of the VC population in freemode. I do, however, really like the empire system and mist importantly: Lance Vance. I loved and hated him at the same time.

hot-temper27

Overall, Vice City Stories is better. But Vic was a very below-average protagonist. He constantly says he wants nothing to do with drugs yet he builds drug empires. And even after he says he wants nothing to do with drugs, he ends up at a drug deal two years later and his hypocrisy gets him killed. That's why Tommy was much better personality wise. Because he actually had equilibrium. He stayed true to himself and never came off as a hypocrite like Vic did most of the time. Plus even though Tommy was ruthless and hot-tempered, he was still loyal to most of his allies and you could tell by looking at him that he really did have a heart deep down (though he rarely showed it). So yeah. The only thing VC is better than VCS at is the protagonist.

Alpha Ice

Tommy would destroy Vic vance.

J Cobra

Yeah, Vice City Stories is way better than Vice City. Anyone with a brain knows that.

Alpha Ice

Yeah, Vice City Stories is way better than Vice City. Anyone with a brain knows that.

Hah, No.

J Cobra

Yes.

Alpha Ice

A hell of a lot more time, effort, money and passion went into vice city, vice city stories on the other hand was a quick and unimaginative game that took less than a year to design and release.

Rockstar were just looking for a quick buck to fund the development of gta 4.

Although I do not hate vice city stories, it is not even close to being as fun or memorable as the original.

Edited by Alpha Ice

Kostadinoff

I like more VCS, but I love killing Lance Vance Dance. He's such an asshole.

SmokesWithCigs

radio station wise- no there are a lot of obscure b side songs that I just change the station when I hear yeah it does have a lot of good 80's classics and the wildstyle station is flawless but vice cities music selection wins.

atmosphere wise- i'd say the original vice city is slightly better. it has better use of pastels and neons it captures the ambience of 80's Miami perfectly. vice city stories is sort of hard on the eyes the colors are too strong and the landscapes and land marks are kind of dull. for example vice city stories mall is a step down from the original vice point. the interior is half barren and you cant buy food from the food court when your energy is low. as a matter of fact what are the other stores there for? you can't rob them.

protag wise I would have to vote for tommy. don't get me wrong I like vic he's the strait man and a stand up guy but he lacks the cool that tommy has.

Journey_95

f*ck no. VC is the best 3D Era game while VCS is one of the weakest.

The gameplay and graphics are better but thats it.

Vic Vance is just lame and boring compared to Tommy. The side characters aren't much better.

The story is pretty bad too. Vic's "rise" is silly

It lacks the charm that VC had. The 80's atmosphere in VCS didn't really grip me like in the original.
Overall I would give VC a 9/10 and VCS a 6/10 at best

Edited by Journey_95

Alpha Ice

atmosphere wise- i'd say the original vice city is slightly better. it has better use of pastels and neons it captures the ambience of 80's Miami perfectly. vice city stories is sort of hard on the eyes the colors are too strong and the landscapes and land

VCS uses twice as many neons as the original.

iiCriminnaaL 49

Gameplay-wise? Yeah, sort of. Since VCS (like LCS) improves upon mechanics (it plays similar to SA), and also had the ability to swim, it felt more engaging. Not to mention the new fighting mechanics, and also the addition to the empire-building minigame, which is basically a mixture of VC's properties and SA's gang warfare.

Story-wise? Not really. While I really like VCS' story, VC had a more epic one, IMO, with a more variegated cast as well. I also prefer Tommy to Victor, even though I like both of them. And as much as I like Lance in VCS (him along with his Vance Dance 😛), I still think that he was more of a cool criminal in VC. (the same applies to Donald Love in LCS, compared to how he was in III and VC)

When it comes to the atmosphere, I overall prefer VC's. To be honest, VCS felt so much try-hard, with the ton of bright colored clothes and extra neon lights it added.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Femme Fatale

No, but I do think the radio stations were better. Pat Benatar, The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, and of course, this sultry gem.

SatournFan

VC only wins if we compare the protagonists, because let's admit it, Tommy is a hell of a lot better than Vic and is a lot more memorable while Vic just seems like a non-gangbanger version of CJ.

And music. Vice City's soundtrack is a masterpiece. I'd say only the VCS counterpart of V-Rock is on par with its VC's version, and even that is a major doubt.

Anything else? Vice City Stories wins by a long mile. Gameplay feels different and more varied, there are more different types of missions, VCS is more fun, but also more challenging.

The characters are overall better I'd say, with the exception of Vic and perhaps Jerry. Phil gets more development and backstory, Louise is the best love interest in the series hands down, Lance's character gets a deeper exploration etc., and the secondary characters aren't bad as well.

The atmosphere was enhanced since Vice City. After playing VCS I realized the original game was bleaker and duller compared to its prequel.

I actually felt a bit sad that VCS' plot had to end, but it was also a feeling of accomplishment. I didn't feel the same after playing Vice City. I'd say that both Stories titles are overall better than their original counterparts.

Edited by SatournFan

iiCriminnaaL 49
4 hours ago, SatournFan said:

Phil gets more development and backstory, Louise is the best love interest in the series hands down, Lance's character gets a deeper exploration etc., and the secondary characters aren't bad as well.

Yeah. That's when the franchise started to shine in details and character in-depth, which got even better later in GTA IV. Though, Lance was too "childish" compared to how he was in VC.

American Venom
On 12/19/2018 at 1:22 PM, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

When it comes to the atmosphere, I overall prefer VC's. To be honest, VCS felt so much try-hard, with the ton of bright colored clothes and extra neon lights it added.

Yeah. I always thought VCS looked really over the top for the 80s. Vice City has a much more grounded, Scarface type look.

Also as much as I like the empire building the city scape looks uglier in VCS having generic looking buildings squeezed between beautiful hotels and such which don't even exist in 1986. Vice City's assets are easier on the eye.

And I've no doubt already said this, but no VCS isn't better. Vice City is the 3D era king.

Bryce Montrose

I was wondering why there is no prequel of GTA San Andreas, just like GTA VCS, GTA VCS was GTA VC prequel, after all actually GTA VCS doesn't have a significant difference with GTA VC, only a few features are added, I would love to play GTA San Andreas prequel with new characters, new missions, and some new features, and this will be named "GTA San Andreas Stories"

iiCriminnaaL 49
6 hours ago, Bryce Montrose said:

I was wondering why there is no prequel of GTA San Andreas, just like GTA VCS, GTA VCS was GTA VC prequel, after all actually GTA VCS doesn't have a significant difference with GTA VC, only a few features are added, I would love to play GTA San Andreas prequel with new characters, new missions, and some new features, and this will be named "GTA San Andreas Stories"

Yeah, that would've been cool. Cesar could've been a good choice as a protagonist, IMO.

But the reason why they didn't make GTA San Andreas Stories was due to the PSP's limitations, as it wouldn't be able to run it due to the huge map compared to the other 3D era titles. Another reason would be The Introduction short film of GTA San Andreas, which explains a couple of events past the story of the latter, which was the purpose of the Stories titles.

TheSantader25

San Andreas is complete IMO. It doesn't need another game to explain things more. Though the 20 minute introduction is pretty good enough on it's own. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Mafia Assassin®

I like VCS more than VC.

The soundtrack in both games is killer, but I like it a little more on VCS; the huge amount of side-missions is great too, there's a lot of variety.

But the thing I like the most in VCS is Empire building, such a fun feature, the best property system of any GTA, IMO, a shame that R* never implemented in another game.

Hmmm nice bike

I think the story of VC was better than VCS. VCS didn't have a bad story, and I liked that we got more background on characters like Lance and Phil, but Tommy Vercetti's story just two years later beats the hell out of it. The story of VCS at least makes for a nice prequel or extended prologue to VC though, despite the obvious changes Vic must have gone through. I still think Rockstar made a mistake in confirming the brother of Lance at the start as being Victor. Them mentioning that they had another brother in VCS felt like they were setting things up to make the third Vance brother the guy who gets killed at the start of VC (he was mentioned in VCS to be sick and in the hospital, and in VC the brother of Lance is walking with a limp). But by the time the Newswire post was made, they clearly forgot about this.

Soundtrack-wise, I think VCS comes very close to VC. I think Wave 103 in VC was better, but Flash FM, V-Rock, and Emotion 98.3 in VCS come close to matching the track lists in the original. They're all filled with wonderfully memorable hits. And when it comes to talk radio, I think VC was better. K-Chat was alright, but VCPR was probably one of the greatest fictional talk shows they've ever come up with for a GTA title. It was great to hear "Pressing Issues" again in VCS, but I think they should have just made the entire station Maurice Chavez again, instead of him plus some news program, a hunting/fishing show, and two 1940s radio dramas.

Gameplay-wise, I think VCS might have a slight edge over VC. Empire Building was an awesome addition, and I'm surprised that they haven't brought this back in any GTAs that followed. It seemed like something that a lot of people enjoyed that could have easily been expanded on. It feels like VCS had a bit more variety in weapons and vehicles, too. Not to mention, swimming was made possible.

And as far as the city itself goes, Vice City in VCS was way more colorful. As someone else mentioned, the original VC had kind of a bleak atmosphere despite it being the sunny 1980s in Florida with pink and purple colors everywhere, but if you've ever watched Scarface or seen an episode of Miami Vice, the bleak nature of the game matches that movie and the show perfectly. VCS really jacked up the saturation on everything, and it didn't feel much like either of the two pieces of media that heavily influenced the first game. Vice City in VCS felt more like a modern day stereotypical viewpoint of the 1980s.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Sharkayy

In my opinion, yes. GTA:VCS is the better game for me. Well, to be honest, I like both games. Both games are unique in their own seperate ways, but VCS just has the edge for me. The cars, music, atmosphere (especially the afternoon vibe), story, voice acting... Most people are giving sh*t to VCS for having difficult side missions, which I can agree on, some side missions are hard. But other than that, VCS is a true gem. I will always be entertained by both games, no matter how old they get!

Skayz

It's a hard question to answer. I love Vice City, it's my greatest influence. If I'm totally in love with 80s, I have to thanks Rockstar. Vice City is perfect in every single aspect: soundtrack, atmosphere, references, storyline, characters, everything. If I had never played Vice City, my tastes in music, movies, cars, clothes (Hawaiian shirts in particular), and my style would have been totally different. Tommy Vercetti is a very badass guy, charismatic, and fits perfectly the game.
So, as I said before, Vice City is the perfect game for me, but there is something that makes Vice City Stories "special".
Of course it has a great soundtrack, a nice and colorful graphic, funny quotes, and new side-missions, but what makes it "special" is related to the storyline and its characters. 
Victor Vance is a very underrated protagonist. A lot of people don't like his personality. 
I like how he's "trying to be a good guy in a bad man's game" (just like Martinez says in the last mission). He got a difficult family, he got responsibilities, and he never forgets about that, because it's the most important thing for him. He is a strong man, but also a good guy. As seen in the game, often, bad situations happen to good people, and even if he is a responsible person with a moral, he gets in troubles because of his brother Lance, Martinez, and Vice City drug kingpins.
I also like the relationship that he builds with Louise, his kind words to try to comfort her during the days with Marty. Their last conversation is very emotional and touching. They have had "something special" but it ends in a drammatic way. This game has such a mature plot. I Want to Know What Love is by Foreigner fits totally the story.
Vic is also a handsome muscular man, and the style of his Army and Casual outfits is cool. 
In conclusion, he is a great inspiration for me, there is a lot of Vic Vance in me. That's is what makes this game a wonderful and an underrated gem!

Edited by Skayz

HOW'S ANNIE?

I've got to give it to VCS in this one. Vice City was a classic, with admittedly a better atmosphere, and it feels so nostalgic to play. But gameplay wise VCS is almost everything I want in a GTA game and bought forward more interesting mechanics (e.g. the empire building system) than either IV or V.

I don't know why Leeds haven't been handed more spinoff GTA titles, considering they seem more interested in spicing up the series than North seem to.

Edited by HOW'S ANNIE?

jacka

I choose the original Vice anyday.

Here's my reasons: Better story, it's not a dumbed down handheld title (I played it on PS2, so maybe it's better experienced on PSP? IDK or care.), it's a crap prequel story-wise which disrespects established characters from the original (Lance and Vic are NOTHING like their Vice City counterparts, n-o-t-h-i-n-g), Tommy is a better protag than the cardboard retconned Vic is, the music is subjective (both soundtracks are good),  the missions in Vice 1 were more enjoyable (though not without their issues like the Driver etc), the empire building, though touted as great by people on here was tedious and sloppily done. I hated doing them.

I don't hate VCS per say, but it as well as LCS are in the low end of the games for me. Well below III and even V.

Edited by jacka

Urban Legends

VCS Isn't worth much at all to me. Maybe it could be an arcade game or something? Nothing struck a cord with me at the time. I just don't get it...