2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

godforgivesthelostdont

The Ballad of Gay Tony vs The Lost and the Damned

Domac

* Concept, Themes - TBoGT because I like the nightclub theme more, makes me feel good.

* Setting, Environments - Tie (they both fit their own setting areas).

* Pacing/Progression - TLaD

* Missions - TBoGT because the missions were crazy and it reminded me of GTA San Andreas. TLaD's missions were kind off boring, but the final one where you break INTO prison to kill the guy that betrayed his own bike gang was cool.

* Characters - Tie, the characters fit their environment, job, etc.

* Plot - TLaD, a bike club boss that betrays his own gang was pretty crazy.

* Innovation - Tie, they both had something new. TLaD had a biker theme, and TBoGT allowed you to be a nighclub guard, and some other stuff.

* Side Content - TBoGT because it had much much more content than TLaD. The weapons were awesome, I had so much fun with the explosive shotgun and the explosives. You also had a Buzzard helicopter, a golden Buzzard, etc.

I do love the sawn-off shotty in TLaD though.

NewGuybj

*Story and Protagonist: The Lost And Damned.

*Fun Things to do and missions: The Ballad Of Gay Tony.

Overall: I love both in different ways :D

Sinner!

I tend to favour TBOGT simply because I found the narrative & characters to generally be more imaginative as opposed to TLAD which felt a bit SOA & somewhat generic in comparison. 

I also, liked how it showed the glitzy sized to Liberty city's seedy underbelly. again, TLAD was a bit too much of the same & not quite as refreshing. 

Also, Tony > any new character introduced in the TLAD.

Love both though & I'll happily give my left bollix up if it meant R* doing something like EFLC for RDR 2. (I'm a dreamer) 

Algonquin Assassin

Still prefer TLAD because I like Johnny more than Luis and the new side missions it intoduced like the road rash style races, gang wars, Stubbs' dity laundry and Angus' bike thefts are fun too.

TBOGT still has its good points, but TLAD compliments GTA IV so much better IMO where TBOGT feels more like a side project. I'm playing them along side of my current save of GTA IV and that's really how I feel.

Crossbones

Concepts, theme- TLAD by a small difference 'cause I love both of them.

Setting, enviroment- TIE.

Pacing, progression- TLAD.

Missions- TBOGT

Characters- TIE

Plot- TLAD

Innovation- Tie, I loved the nightlife scene of TBOGT but I liked the biker theme of TLAD too.

Side content- TBOGT, I loved the cage fighting over any other side activities combined. 

Utopianthumbs

Concept/theme- TBOGT, i liked both the biker and the nightlife theme, marginally prefer TBOGT here

Setting/Environment- TBOGT , really gives me that Vice city vibe which is a good thing to me

Pacing/Progression- TLAD , think it's plot was much tighter while TBOGT ditched pacing in favour of wacky missions

Missions- TBOGT, I know some felt they were over the top but I loved them, stuff like stealing a noose tank and a subway car was amazing

Characters- TBOGT, TLAD had some great characters as well ( I thought Billy was one of the better GTA antagonists) but I prefer the more colourful cast of TBOGT. Tony and Yusuf are among my favourites

Plot- TLAD, the story of the downfall of the Lost was very well done imo

Innovation- Cant say

Side content- TBOGT, i liked what it had to offer more like Cage Fighting, Club Management, Base Jumping.

Both DLC s are amazing but overall to me TBOGT> TLAD.  Johnny>> Luis tho.

ThatBenGuy

Tough one, but The Lost and Damned. I REALLY like both of them, almost as much as I like GTA IV itself! However, superior would definitely be a big and long stretch as both were great IMO.

Journey_95

TBOGT was really lackluster for me, it clearly showed that Rockstar was going back to the old direction but instead of waiting they slapped it on the last part of the GTA IV Saga which makes TBOGT just feel off. I hate the unnecessary over the top missions, the obnoxious characters and how shiny LC is made out to be (LS it fits at least).

TLAD on the other hand fits GTA IV perfectly with its dark tone and human characters, has a far superior story (while still having good mission variety) and I think the biker theme was refreshing for GTA. 

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Definitely TBOGT. if it wasn't for this DLC, I'm not sure I would survive until GTA V. it saved the game for me and I played it for such a longer time than even IV itself. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Failure

Both are really good, but TLaD is better.

TLaD, with a really interesting protagonist and one of R*'s best storylines, is easily the best game to complement the greatness of IV. TBoGT has a bit too much GTA:SA flavour added to it, and that ruins it personally. Compared to TLaD, TBoGT has a really boring protagonist (not as CJ or Franklin though, but still boring), lackluster storyline and activities (parachuting gets a pass though), sh*ttier vehicles, uninteresting characters (Mori, Rocco, Joni) and not to mention that horrible 'gay filter'.  And TLaD absolutely destroys TBoGT's soundtrack. 

This doesn't mean that TBoGT is that bad, it smugly fits as the third best HD game. ;)

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Thankfully R* got rid of that "weak" protagonist for us in GTA V. they knew people who loved Johnny were only a small part of the community so they got rid of him and made one of their best decisions in their writing. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually said they made Johnny look cool in TLAD to kill him in V. We know they started working on V from 2008 so that could be their plan all along. 

Edited by TheSantader25

B Dawg

You gotta be crazy to ever prefer tbogt imo.

Tycek
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Thankfully R* got rid of that "weak" protagonist for us in GTA V. they knew people who loved Johnny were only a small part of the community so they got rid of him and made one of their best decisions in their writing. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually said they made Johnny look cool in TLAD to kill him in V. We know they started working on V from 2008 so that could be their plan all along. 

Thank God that Trevor is loved by a small part of community, since R* decided to get rid of him as well. That's also the best part of their writing in V story - Trevor being burned to a crisp.

Edited by Tycek

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tycek said:

Thank God that Trevor is loved by a small part of community, since R* decided to get rid of him as well. That's also the best part of their writing in V story - Trevor being burned to a crisp.

Trevor has a huge fanbase among casuals and I don't care if he's dead. He's not even in my top 3 protagonists and we have an option so he can survive. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Algonquin Assassin
9 hours ago, Tycek said:

Ring Of Fire by Johnny Cash is a great tribute song to play for him also.

ThatBenGuy
15 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Ring Of Fire by Johnny Cash is a great tribute song to play for him also.

Good one, Algonquin Assassin! I love Johnny Cash as well! Another good tribute song for Trevor is TNT by AC/DC considering he also explodes! And I love AC/DC as well for the record!

TheOriginalGunslinger

Blood and a Four Leaf Clover (great concept title by the way) would have surpassed them both imo (if it really happened). Playing as Gordon in an Irish mob themed DLC in Liberty City? Gimme.

Algonquin Assassin

Just something I thought about what makes TBOGT feel a bit out of place compared to GTA IV and TLAD is it feels like it takes place at a completely different point in time. The point of GTA IV/EFLC is it shows how the stories all interconnect with eachother, but TBOGT's generally more upbeat tone makes it feel like it's not even occurring at the same time as GTA IV and TLAD.

GTA IV and TLAD feel cold, raw, gritty etc to coincide that the season is Autumn. I don't get that feeling with TBOGT.

Femme Fatale

TLaD enhanced LCHC and LRR, so yeah.