3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Silent

GInput

ThirteenAG
Any updates? When do you think that GInput will release for GTA III?

Well, i started to work on compatibility script, no idea when it will be finished though. Manual aiming works well with gamepad smile.gif

Craig Kostelecky

Progress on GInputIII is coming along nicely. The functionality of the pads feels perfect to me - just like VC. Some help menus need to be finished up yet before it's ready for a release.

Silent
Progress on GInputIII is coming along nicely. The functionality of the pads feels perfect to me - just like VC. Some help menus need to be finished up yet before it's ready for a release.

In fact, GInputIII and GInputVC will feel the same since they share the code tounge.gif

The mod itself is finished, now I'm converting it to 1.1, then Steam version. Release shouldn't be far away alien.gif

nkjellman

In fact, GInputIII and GInputVC will feel the same since they share the code tounge.gif

The mod itself is finished, now I'm converting it to 1.1, then Steam version. Release shouldn't be far away alien.gif

Alright. Glad to hear it. Can't wait.

Edit: How long does it take to port it to another exe, just out of curiosity.

Edited by nkjellman

Silent

That one went fast, but it can take long at times since it's f*ckING boring.

nkjellman

That one went fast, but it can take long at times since it's f*ckING boring.

I'd imagine it can be boring.

But it sounds like its done then. Hope to play soon.

Edit: Hope someone can make a 3rd person camera mod for III and VC to go along with this so you can move the camera around the player, and do it when in a vehicle, just like in San Andreas, and the mobile version of the games. I know of the one thats out, but it doesn't feel natural to me. the camera is too static. Plus it makes the classic controls work like standard.

Edited by nkjellman

Silent

So, GInput 1.02 is up! VC version is a bit updated and III version is identical to the other one.

Full changelog (applies mostly to GInputVC, GInputIII ships all these changes aswell):

• Modification is now compatible with XP SP1 (which is now the oldest supported system, 1.0 and 1.01 required XP SP2 or newer)
  • In IV controls mode, detonator is now controlled by Melee Attack (Circle/B) key
  • Triggers handling reworked (deadzone is now smoother, making controls more precise)
  • Triggers are now properly pressure sensitive when rotating the helicopter
  • Rumble improved a bit (it should stop shaking in the same situations PS2 version did)
  • Mouse move doesn't toggle 'keyboard + mouse mode' on anymore - now only button presses do
  • INI file is now read correctly when inside mss folder
  • GInput now features a small API for modders (see GInputAPI directory) which can be used to check if pad is plugged in/is in use

Besides, thanks to Emillister, GTA IV buttons are now an official option! They work with III and VC, obviously.

Craig Kostelecky

Found a very minor bug in the III version that happens consistently for me. Right after loading the game, if I push the start button the game will crash at 0057F155. If I press X to start a new game, pausing does work fine. I cannot recreate this bug in VC. Again, very minor as pressing start isn't supposed to begin a new game anyway.

EDIT: I should clarify, this happens after launching GTA3, but before a new game is started or loaded.

Edited by Craig Kostelecky

crackshot91

This is a great tool, SilentPL! Thank you so much for making it! I do have one question, though: Would there be a way to get a control scheme to mirror the xbox version, when using the 360 controller? That is: look around freely with the right stick (instead of left/right/back) and use the RB/LB to look right or left when driving? Thanks!

Ash_735
This is a great tool, SilentPL! Thank you so much for making it! I do have one question, though: Would there be a way to get a control scheme to mirror the xbox version, when using the 360 controller? That is: look around freely with the right stick (instead of left/right/back) and use the RB/LB to look right or left when driving? Thanks!

That's not how GTA3 works on the Xbox, that's how San Andreas works on the Xbox. San Andreas had a different control layout compared to III and VC.

Silent

Uploaded two footages recorded when using GInput, you can see how smooth the new controls are!

crackshot91

That's not how GTA3 works on the Xbox, that's how San Andreas works on the Xbox. San Andreas had a different control layout compared to III and VC.

Haha, wow... You're right of course. tounge.gif

But what about this:

Is there a way to use the RB/LB to look left/right instead of the right stick, when using controlset5? And have "B" set to shoot? That's literally my only problem with the tool now, and it's very minor. Basically, I'm trying to set it up so that vice city/III/san andreas control exactly like they do on xbox. (Well, On 360. The black/white buttons on og Xbox made life difficult.)

All-in-all, this is a pretty fantastic tool.

Edited by crackshot91

Silent
Is there a way to use the RB/LB to look left/right instead of the right stick, when using controlset5? And have "B" set to shoot?

There's not, but I like the idea smile.gif

yoječ

I was just thinking... is there a way to input cheat codes with the controller?

Silent
I was just thinking... is there a way to input cheat codes with the controller?

Throw Bones

I'm not that great with computers, can someone help me get this mod to work on my pc?

Easy as pie. Put 'GinputIII.asi' and 'GinputIII.ini' files in the game root directory or

'mss' folder, then put both TXD files in 'models' folder. You can use the INI file to

configure some mod properties, make sure you check it before you try out the mod!

I cant find the "game root directory" or "mss folder" or anything else. I have the steam version and I'm running windows 7. Can someone break this down step by step on what to do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TJGM
I'm not that great with computers, can someone help me get this mod to work on my pc?

Easy as pie. Put 'GinputIII.asi' and 'GinputIII.ini' files in the game root directory or

'mss' folder, then put both TXD files in 'models' folder. You can use the INI file to

configure some mod properties, make sure you check it before you try out the mod!

I cant find the "game root directory" or "mss folder" or anything else. I have the steam version and I'm running windows 7. Can someone break this down step by step on what to do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Right click on the game in your steam library, click properties, then local files and then browse local files. Drag and drop the files for the mod into that folder there or into the mss folder.

Throw Bones

Right click on the game in your steam library, click properties, then local files and then browse local files. Drag and drop the files for the mod into that folder there or into the mss folder.

Thank you! I got it to work kinda. But what about the txd folder and the models folder do I have to do anything with that?

Also I'm using an xbox 360 controller and the left and right trigger switches weapons and the lb and rb dont do anything. How to I make it so right trigger is shoot and lb rb switch weapons? Right now B is shoot which feels weird.

Ash_735

Thank you! I got it to work kinda. But what about the txd folder and the models folder do I have to do anything with that?

Also I'm using an xbox 360 controller and the left and right trigger switches weapons and the lb and rb dont do anything. How to I make it so right trigger is shoot and lb rb switch weapons? Right now B is shoot which feels weird.

The control style is there to emulate the original PS2 and Xbox style (which can be changed in the ini) with ease, NOT to do custom controls as that isn't official and really you'd just get a load of people complaining about how they don't like changes, etc, right now it's as Rockstar created for PS2 and Xbox.

And yes, that TXD folder, you have to copy that to so the buttons appear in game.

Silent

You can shoot with RT in IV controls mode, which is Controls Set no. 5.

Natedogg.

Any chance you could map the handbrake to "RB/R1"? colgate.gif on the GTA IV controls of course.

Silent
Any chance you could map the handbrake to "RB/R1"? colgate.gif on the GTA IV controls of course.

Nope, R1/RB is used as a key which modifies right stick behaviour. Without it, you won't be able to operate hydraulics/firetruck cannon/tank cannon.

IV maps handbrake to both these keys, so my mapping isn't actually non-IV tounge.gif

ThirteenAG

You can do so by yourself via CLEO.

Throw Bones

The control style is there to emulate the original PS2 and Xbox style (which can be changed in the ini) with ease, NOT to do custom controls as that isn't official and really you'd just get a load of people complaining about how they don't like changes, etc, right now it's as Rockstar created for PS2 and Xbox.

And yes, that TXD folder, you have to copy that to so the buttons appear in game.

So I copy the txd folder then click on the gta models folder and inside that folder paste txd in there?

Also how do I access the ini option to switch my controller layout?

Silent

There is some rarely used, mysterious tool in Windows called Notepad.

Throw Bones

I read in the read me file all the setup options and I want setup 5 but I don't know how or where to change it?

Ash_735

I read in the read me file all the setup options and I want setup 5 but I don't know how or where to change it?

Right click the INI file, Open With, Notepad, and look for this:

ControlsSet=5

Make sure the last number is 5 for the Xbox style controls. If it's not, just change it to 5 and then Save the file.

Throw Bones

ControlsSet=5

Make sure the last number is 5 for the Xbox style controls. If it's not, just change it to 5 and then Save the file.

Thanks for the help I did that and it worked but my game keeps freezing. Any idea why this is happening?

Ash_735

ControlsSet=5

Thanks for the help I did that and it worked but my game keeps freezing. Any idea why this is happening?

Have you made sure you've installed it properly, should look something like this:

Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto Vice City

- GInputVC.asi

- GInputVC.ini

Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\models

- ps3btns.txd

- x360btns.txd

With the normal Steam EXE it should work fine. it does here.

Throw Bones

ControlsSet=5

Have you made sure you've installed it properly, should look something like this:

Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto Vice City

- GInputVC.asi

- GInputVC.ini

Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\models

- ps3btns.txd

- x360btns.txd

With the normal Steam EXE it should work fine. it does here.

Ill have to check when I get home. Could it be because I skipped the txd part?