4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Mr Vercetti suit

Arsen Vitiuk

Arsen Vitiuk

Since I've heard numerous times that Vice City was inspired not only by "Scarface", but by "Miami Vice" as well, I decided to watch the series so I'd get an idea what was it about.

Then, in one of the episodes, I've noticed that Enrico Tubbs' suit was surprisingly similar to... Tommy's 'Mr Vercetti' suit from the game. And I naturally concluded that the 'Mr Vercetti' suit was based on Tubbs' outfit in the first place.

What do you guys think?

user posted imageuser posted image

• Like 4
MrMateczko

You know, GTA VC is basically only Miami Vice and Scarface. All the things in the game are basically copied from these two things.

And yes, the outfit is copied, but still a nice find! icon14.gif

Arsen Vitiuk

It's the Squalo!

user posted image

And here's the artwork inspired by this shot:

user posted image

I didn't think that this was also from Miami Vice!

BTW, does anybody know what boat is the Squalo modelled after (I mean, the model of the real-life boat)?

Edited by Arsen Vitiuk

Nice find, I didn't know thanks for sharing. Maybe I should watch that movie one day. smile.gif

GTAKid667

^Now that you two mention it, I think I may watch the movie aswell to see if there is anything wow.gif

GoldenBlade

^Now that you two mention it, I think I may watch the movie aswell to see if there is anything wow.gif

I'm going to watch it, too, and compare it to VC. My dad used to watch the movie a lot, but I never really paid any attention.

GTAKid667
Miami Vice is a TV series not a movie.

Whoops! I was just taking Ricky_Stiven and 0909090 's word for it. Silly GTAKid blush.gif

Andreaz1

There is a Miami Vice movie though. From 2006. Which doesn't seem to have much to do with the original series at all.

Korpi

Then, in one of the episodes, I've noticed that Enrico Tubbs' suit was surprisingly similar to... Tommy's 'Mr Vercetti' suit from the game.

Ricardo "Rico" Tubbs, that is.

Had to correct this one, after all his actor Philip Michael Thomas voiced Lance Vance . tounge2.gif

And about the VC "Stinger"/Ferrari Daytona Spyder 365 GTS/4 reference:

user posted image

user posted image

Too bad that you only get the black variant of Stinger in game via cheat code that turns all the other cars black too.

@OP: Yes, Vice City was co-influenced by both, Miami Vice and Scarface.

Al though I think that MV's incluence showed more in the game.

Oh, and If you guys haven't seen this one yet, watch it NOW.

Vice City version of the "Crockett's Theme" music video.

user posted image

Arsen Vitiuk

Ricardo "Rico" Tubbs, that is.

Had to correct this one, after all his actor Philip Michael Thomas voiced Lance Vance . tounge2.gif

Thanks for that. You were obliged to correct me, and rightly so. After all, I myself realised the mistake I made... Just didn't bother to correct it myself.

As for the Stinger/Daytona, there is also the same thing about Cheetah being inspired by Crockett's Ferrari Testarossa that he drives starting from Season 3 (after the Daytona got blown up)

Edited by Arsen Vitiuk
Korpi

As for the Stinger/Daytona, there is also the same thing about Cheetah being inspired by Crockett's Ferrari Testarossa that he drives starting from Season 3 (after the Daytona got blown up)

Yep - glad that atleast the Cheetah is in the "right" Miami Vice colours in VC, as white.

I have a white VCPD Cheetah parked in Tommy's mansion, and I think that the VCPD version is the "real" Testarossa, 'cause after all,

the only way you can get it with a three star wanted level, when being pursued by officers "Cracker" and "Butts" ( HAH) as homage

to Miami Vice's Crockett and Tubbs.

And as a little trivia with the VCPD Cheetah, I don't know if it has any connection whatsoever (just a funny

little coincidence), but

when you get the VCPD Cheetah after you having a three star wanted level, in Miami Vice

the Testarossa became Crockett's car from season three onwards . tounge.gif

And ain't it a funny (coincidence ?), when in Miami Vice Crockett's Daytona Spyder is being blown with a Stinger missile. tounge2.gif

Edited by Markwey
Andreaz1

Not to mention the fact that Crockett's Theme wasn't even publicly released until 1987, a year after the game is set. The allusions never end in this game. And we all love it for it.

GTAforthe21thcentury

One of the Cuban gangsters from VC (the one with the sleeveless shirt), was taken from miami vice. user posted image

(Far left)

Edited by GTAforthe21thcentury
  • Like 3
significantother

Wow. It's pretty amazing that after 10+ years of this game being released, we're still finding interesting and new stuff.

universalsoldier9876

Tommy Vercetti's cocaine empire could be based on the now deceased vast drug empire of Medellin Cartel boss and the reallife King of cocaine Pablo Escobar of Colombia.

Our lord Steve Jobs

the only way you can get it with a three star wanted level, when being pursued by officers "Cracker" and "Butts" ( HAH)

You can find it at a police station... the one next to the mex... i mean cuban gang territory. it's parked in the back and spawns there all the time

clockworkmechanicalman

You hit the bullseye there, Arsen, I totally missed the suit, and Gtaforthe21century, good job on finding the Cuban gangster, there. Markwey, even though I noticed those suits, good eye. Good detective work. Kudos all around colgate.gif

Edited by clockworkmechanicalman
  • 3 weeks later...
im_stoned

Well my respect for rockstar has somewhat taken a nose dive. You mean to tell me they can't come up with original ideas so they just steal ideas from everyone else ? Why haven't they been sued and sh*t ? I'm being serious how can they just blatantly steal other peoples ideas that's f*cked up .

Did these guys use any imagination when making this game ? They have such a great outlet and their not using it right. It's sad

I mean we like to sh*t on saints row because their ideas and imagination is childlike but at the end of the day that's still their ideas. Their coming up with that stuff themselves. Sure a lot of the stuff they do is dumb but how can you sh*t on them when their making this game from their imagination and using creativity ? When rockstar clearly aren't. ?

I'm just saying doesn't it make you a little sad ? When I played this game as a kid I thought rockstar were gods. I honestly thought they created this whole universe from their minds. I know it was heavily influenced by Miami in the 80's and scarface but I didn't know how deep it went. I thought the idea was to take a real life setting, put you're own creative spin on it, while kinda mocking it as you go along. It seems they've taken everything from real life and put it in the game. I thought they came up with a lot of it by themselves confused.gif

What's the fun in copying a suit in real life ? Why not create one yourself from you're own mind you know ? This makes me worry about v even more pop culture isn't fun right now. If they copy everything from real life this sh*t could get boring in a hurry

Edited by im_stoned
Korpi

To be honest, I don't think that R* never actually copied stuff.

Just influences, inspirations and parodies.

@FacebookStalkerJustKidding: I know, but it doesn't spawn there in the original PS2 version .

Edited by Markwey