The Writers' Room

Eminence

What makes any good GTA plot intriguing; an entertaining protagonist, a city, and a bunch of criminals to give them conflict. 

• Like 2

"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings."

Uncle Sikee Atric

That's pretty much the basic mix for any intriguing story.  A good location, a good set of protagonists, a lore that fascinates, and an opponent that threatens them.

• Like 3

MOaRJRr.jpg

If you're looking for some stories to study in exemplary fanfiction, I'd recommend reading Uncle Sikee Atric's Crosscode fanfiction, or Slimeball Supreme's The Red Triangle, or even City of Lies by Mokrie. They're stories with vastly different styles that are written with passion, and contain all of the components which make up good stories in established universes. 

All you really need for a story to have the ability to be interesting is character, conflict, and conclusion. 

• Like 1
  • Best Bru 1

Uncle Sikee Atric

You also have to remember what you are writing....  Go into it with an overall plan, maybe even a rough storyboard in place, if you're planning to make it longer, or have a different intention.

I also have a second piece that I write and I publish elsewhere, due to the story content being a lot more 'extreme' in all regards.  But that story is a playthrough of a Rimworld colony, where I imposed a set of rules on myself and ended up making one of the most memorable games I have played.  I logged the character interactions and progression, turning it into, what I call, the 'Dark Soap Opera' that became the final result.

There is a taster here for a story that has already gone over 200K words, and it shows another style of my writing, because this story isn't about intrigue.  It still has threat and enemies, but the story is much more in the style of a slice of life progression story.  It could still offer you some ideas for how to write your own work. 

It's in One Shots .

MOaRJRr.jpg

3 hours ago, Uncle Sikee Atric said:

You also have to remember what you are writing....  Go into it with an overall plan, maybe even a rough storyboard in place, if you're planning to make it longer, or have a different intention.

I also have a second piece that I write and I publish elsewhere, due to the story content being a lot more 'extreme' in all regards.  But that story is a playthrough of a Rimworld colony, where I imposed a set of rules on myself and ended up making one of the most memorable games I have played.  I logged the character interactions and progression, turning it into, what I call, the 'Dark Soap Opera' that became the final result.

There is a taster here for a story that has already gone over 200K words, and it shows another style of my writing, because this story isn't about intrigue.  It still has threat and enemies, but the story is much more in the style of a slice of life progression story.  It could still offer you some ideas for how to write your own work. 

It's in One Shots .

Intriguing. I'mma hit it up. 

Uncle Sikee Atric
On 10/24/2023 at 1:25 AM, Ziggy455 said:

Intriguing. I'mma hit it up. 

The entire fic is posted on a more fiction-friendly site, since I joined it to cross-post my Longfic to attract a bigger community and the content itself is graphic in more ways than one.  I'm glad I did start posting there as well, since it's attracted a dedicated community as a result.

If you want a direct link Ziggy, I can PM you one, if you're interested?

MOaRJRr.jpg

On 10/26/2023 at 10:14 AM, Uncle Sikee Atric said:

The entire fic is posted on a more fiction-friendly site, since I joined it to cross-post my Longfic to attract a bigger community and the content itself is graphic in more ways than one.  I'm glad I did start posting there as well, since it's attracted a dedicated community as a result.

If you want a direct link Ziggy, I can PM you one, if you're interested?

Yeah, definitely. Shoot me a link in a PM.