3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Eminence

The Writers' Room

Ziggy455
@Ziggy I liked the godfather and I read 3 of the 4 Assassins Creed books. Historical fiction could be good, I also read Game of Thrones which was ok but kinda incesty (and not wincest).

@Mokrie Thanks smile.gif

Try reading some other Puzo books. Most of his work is quite good.

VProductions

Thanks, I heard somebody make a sequel to The Godfather which might be okay, I'm gonna google it tounge.gif

Typhus, could you recommend some historical fiction please?

Master of San Andreas

@VP - Oliver Twist an absolute master piece by Charles Dickens.

Mokrie Dela
@Ziggy I liked the godfather and I read 3 of the 4 Assassins Creed books. Historical fiction could be good, I also read Game of Thrones which was ok but kinda incesty (and not wincest).

@Mokrie Thanks smile.gif

no problem - that's the idea of that topic, for us to recommend books to other people that they wouldn't ordinarily look at.

I picked up a book from the library yesterday - random book - and read the opening paragraph. It pulled me in so damned hard. The description, the words, it was all bang on, set the scene so well, I was impressed, and slightly disheartened that my writing isnt that good.

VProductions

Cool. I read the sample of Cloud Atlas, it is written strange, very complicated words and a lot of use of the & symbol, but on the other hand, it is a diary. Just quite strange.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SmlhCVt...epage&q&f=false

There is a lot of confusing slang aswell. It is set in the 19th century I think so that might explain it.

Also we should start a skype WD chat.

Mokrie Dela
Cool. I read the sample of Cloud Atlas, it is written strange, very complicated words and a lot of use of the & symbol, but on the other hand, it is a diary. Just quite strange.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SmlhCVt...epage&q&f=false

There is a lot of confusing slang aswell. It is set in the 19th century I think so that might explain it.

Also we should start a skype WD chat.

a full on published novel uses ampersands?!

Oh my!

On a plus note, i've spent the bulk of today writing. Got a lot done. It's been a good day!

Typhus

Writing something original or fan fic?

Cubanwhip

Careful with Cloud Atlas. I've read it, and its a wonderful book, but its definitely a challenge. It's not only written as a diary and might be a bit much. I definitely have to read it again anyways. It's just one of those books that needs to be read again after you finish to catch all the small details.

VProductions
Careful with Cloud Atlas. I've read it, and its a wonderful book, but its definitely a challenge. It's not only written as a diary and might be a bit much. I definitely have to read it again anyways. It's just one of those books that needs to be read again after you finish to catch all the small details.

The words are really complicated lol, I might just watch the film instead, I just need to know the story (it looks amazing).

Mokrie Dela
Writing something original or fan fic?

I do have fanfics in the pipeline, but this one is original.

Cubanwhip

The words are really complicated lol, I might just watch the film instead, I just need to know the story (it looks amazing).

If you're stuck at the words, then the novel's entire story line and constant allusions to other literary works, including 1984 and Brave New World, might go over your head. I've watched both the movie and the novel, and far enjoy the novel more. There's a lot taken out and changed, which I expected, but the movie stands alone well as a movie. Also, the movie does a terrible job explaining the core concept of the book and the actual characters.

Ziggy455

I'm thinking of writing a large social commentary on the overuse of lactation within the US today. The story would be focused on a character named Kelly Isis who's a main imbiber of exporting large quantities of milk that she uses to create special shakes. These shakes contain some form of potent powder that is close to Nicotine. The milkshakes sell like hotcakes and it becomes apparent they are the greatest milkshakes, but the mix only seems to become addictive to men. People begin charging extortionate rates as Kelly attempts to teach the secret behind the milkshakes and in the gripping climax, it turns out that none can rival her in her drug-milkshake business.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

ph34r.gif

On an unrelated note, I'm actually planning and writing alot. I'm actually enjoying being immersed in my writing and characters which is brilliant. I've found my old niche and I'm loving every second of sitting down and getting what I want out comfortably.

Edited by Ziggy455

VProductions

@cubanwhip - I bought the book and found a way around the complicated words (google books with built in dictionary/thesaurus) Im on page 16 and it seems quite gripping. But it is around 200 pages, the wikipedia page says around 450 pages, so I take it a lot is cut out sad.gif

@ziggy - It's great to see that you are back and have rediscovered your inner sinner tounge.gif (I know, I stole it from SR2)

Belaphron

Is The Stand worth reading? I've been reading reviews that say it burns out towards the end and the ending is not particularly good; I have little time to read and I don't want to waste time on such a long book if it is not worth it.

Ziggy455
The Stand is one of King's greatest stories and I absolutely can't say enough that it's a brilliant read start to finish. The other end of the book had me drawn in more but that's down to opinion. Yes, 100% yes, The Stand is worth the read.

Osric
The Stand is one of King's greatest stories and I absolutely can't say enough that it's a brilliant read start to finish. The other end of the book had me drawn in more but that's down to opinion. Yes, 100% yes, The Stand is worth the read.

Agreed, The Stand is a great book, as is Stephen King's Dark Tower series

VProductions

An assassin tries to waste Julius Caesar who invented cloning (and used it to make his army)

^Too cliche/cheesy?

Tyler

Doesn't matter if it is too cheesy or cliche, just provide a sensible explanation for the actions leading up to the plot in your narrative if they need explaining. I'd venture to say you might want to do some research on what exactly cloning is and why it might be a little hard to do in 1st century BCE Rome, though. Either way, don't ever worry about being cliche. Every story is unique because of the way the writer tells it, not because of the amazing plotlines.

TonyZimmzy

Thought I'd drop some shamful plugging that the final mission in Heart City: Legacy will be posted Monday. happy.gif

Typhus
Is The Stand worth reading? I've been reading reviews that say it burns out towards the end and the ending is not particularly good; I have little time to read and I don't want to waste time on such a long book if it is not worth it.

It's okay, I guess. But it deals in moral absolutes and comes off as pretty hokey and f*cked up in places.

The 'good' society, for instance, is undisciplined and weak - yet we're suppose to hate the one guy who's actually doing some good for his group of survivors.

Little things like that in the story piss me off no end. It really is very, very Christian. We're supposed to accept that certain characters are good and evil on good faith alone.

Stephen King has wrote many, many better things.

Please, give Cycle of The Werewolf a try first. I swear, one day I'll make someone love that story as much as I do.

Osric
Is The Stand worth reading? I've been reading reviews that say it burns out towards the end and the ending is not particularly  good; I have little time to read and I don't want to waste time on such a long book if it is not worth it.

It's okay, I guess. But it deals in moral absolutes and comes off as pretty hokey and f*cked up in places.

The 'good' society, for instance, is undisciplined and weak - yet we're suppose to hate the one guy who's actually doing some good for his group of survivors.

Little things like that in the story piss me off no end. It really is very, very Christian. We're supposed to accept that certain characters are good and evil on good faith alone.

Stephen King has wrote many, many better things.

Please, give Cycle of The Werewolf a try first. I swear, one day I'll make someone love that story as much as I do.

I liked The Stand, but in my opinion The Dark Tower saga is better

VProductions
Doesn't matter if it is too cheesy or cliche, just provide a sensible explanation for the actions leading up to the plot in your narrative if they need explaining. I'd venture to say you might want to do some research on what exactly cloning is and why it might be a little hard to do in 1st century BCE Rome, though. Either way, don't ever worry about being cliche. Every story is unique because of the way the writer tells it, not because of the amazing plotlines.

Thanks for the advice, it was just an idea for a oneshot. I had a really busy week having to write more for both Vice and 18 Months.

Dr-Mayhem111

I've started on my short story called "The Possible Trinity".

Yes it's based on the GTA IV Universe but it has a much more different perspective.

I'm putting a lot of effort into this and I feel it could be a good read for everybody.

Ziggy455
I've started on my short story called "The Possible Trinity".

Yes it's based on the GTA IV Universe but it has a much more different perspective.

I'm putting a lot of effort into this and I feel it could be a good read for everybody.

Try something a little less GTA-based. Let's see what you can bring to the table.

Osric

Has anyone ever seen the 1996 movie version of Romeo & Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes? I loved that movie and it has inspired me to think of a story set in that modern version of Shakespeare's play.

It'd be a series of short stories about the inhabitants of Verona Beach, a lawless, decadent, and glamorous city out on the West Coast. It'd feature the Montagues, Capulets, and even modern versions of other Shakespearean characters like Banquo and the Weird Sisters from Macbeth or Puck from A Midsummer's Night Dream

Eminence
Has anyone ever seen the 1996 movie version of Romeo & Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes? I loved that movie and it has inspired me to think of a story set in that modern version of Shakespeare's play.

It'd be a series of short stories about the inhabitants of Verona Beach, a lawless, decadent, and glamorous city out on the West Coast. It'd feature the Montagues, Capulets, and even modern versions of other Shakespearean characters like Banquo and the Weird Sisters from Macbeth or Puck from A Midsummer's Night Dream

So you're writing Luhrmann-Shakespearean fan fiction, essentially?

Osric

So you're writing Luhrmann-Shakespearean fan fiction, essentially?

Eh, more or less. I really like that movie.

Typhus

How about something that's not fan fiction? Something you actually had to put some original thought into?

Mokrie Dela

We studied that movie at school - the guy who played Mercutio was brilliant.

I always preferred Baz's version to the other guy's (Zeffirelli i think)

Talking of romeo and juliet, I'm told that "Romeo must die" (starring jet li) is an adaption of it, but if it is, i think it's so loose, its pointless mentioning it.

I also remember studying "macbeth" which was set on a council estate.... like starring people who, today would be chavs, talking shakespearean... Weird.

I would say definitely avoid the FF here - instead, why not take the inspiration and adapt it? Avoid setting it in the same place, with the same characters - as it HAS been done to death, and what could you do new?

Set it in the 90s, in east LA, with a girl from a bloods family and a guy from a crips tounge.gif

Take the concept and use it as part inspiration for something your own tounge.gif

(you all know my thoughts on FF, but the reason i'm saying it, is because im not sure anyone would read it)

Ziggy455
It's not that FanFiction isn't accepted. It's that we don't see anybody bringing anything new to the table. We've seen it all before! We've seen every single outcome of a GTA story. (I've even seen Sweet try to buttf*ck CJ's ass.) Seriously. We've seen EVERYTHING. So what stops people from wanting to try something new?