Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,812 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Boss7dm

Map Size Thread

_Kindled_
From blue to black, I mean.

Are you talking about the circles?

Yes.

It'd be great if you came up with something which showed the scale was off, like you said.

I'm on mobile right now so it's not easy to gather images. Later on this week. Plus I've got school on my ass. suicidal.gif

Can't wait! This'll be bigger than the release itself! LOL

Why make fun of me? You have no idea what I'll post.

nuer

Yes.

It'd be great if you came up with something which showed the scale was off, like you said.

I'm on mobile right now so it's not easy to gather images. Later on this week. Plus I've got school on my ass. suicidal.gif

f*ckin' got immm

_Kindled_

Yes.

f*ckin' got immm

I'm thinking of using GTA IV street view compared to New York. Basically, so I'd get the size estimate.

Eutyphro
I'm thinking of using GTA IV street view compared to New York. Basically, so I'd get the size estimate.

You'd get the size estimate of what? How much bigger real life New York is than Liberty City? How does that help anybody?

_Kindled_

You'd get the size estimate of what? How much bigger real life New York is than Liberty City? How does that help anybody?

Street length, that'll show ya'! Since you all think big streets mean bigger maps.

Sergi

I'll be honest Kindled you make absolutely no sense what so ever.

VATG

Where is this place located on the map?

user posted image

_Kindled_

Remember that screenshot of Michael grappling onto the FIB building? And you saw how small the cars were and never felt like getting a appropriate comparison to GTA IV. Star Junction has pretty big streets, how about comparing that?

Eutyphro

Street length, that'll show ya'! Since you all think big streets mean bigger maps.

There are 3 methods that are currently used that all give the same result:

1. Road width method: find two roads that are the same amount of lanes/width, scale them on the map of GTA IV and Los Santos accordingly, and you have your comparison.

2. Tennis court method: scale the tennis court in GTA V and IV so they are the same size, and you've got a comparison.

3. Comparing cars, which works in the same way.

Now these three methods all give the same result. Something incomprehensible like "big streets mean bigger maps" is not going to have a changing effect on the consensus in this thread.

_Kindled_

Make an aerial shot of Star Junction/Times Square, and compare it to that screenshot.

Eutyphro
Make an aerial shot of Star Junction/Times Square, and compare it to that screenshot.

Comparing screenshots is not an exact method to gain a scale. It has been done by a lot of people in the past and no one ever gained a credible scale from it.

I think you should go read this thread again, because clearly you haven't understood it very well.

_Kindled_

Comparing screenshots is not an exact method to gain a scale. It has been done by a lot of people in the past and no one ever gained a credible scale from it.

I think you should go read this thread again, because clearly you haven't understood it very well.

Yeah, I get it, it's not about the "blocks" or "streets", its about land size. No, it isn't. Well, I'll admit, most streets in IV were squares, but what about LS, them streets, that's what I'm looking at... not many, to me.

iiConTr0v3rSYx

That's near the airport.

Edited by iiConTr0v3rSYx

J-Rock462

user posted image

By an airport? That looks like a control tower in the background

Eutyphro

Yeah, I get it, it's not about the "blocks" or "streets", its about land size. No, it isn't. Well, I'll admit, most streets in IV were squares, but what about LS, them streets, that's what I'm looking at... not many, to me.

The idea is: you find one thing that is the same size in IV and V, like a car, a roadwidth, or a tennis court, and you scale both maps based on that one thing. That's the way to compare maps when you don't have an ingame scaling system in one of the two, because V obviously hasn't one because we don't have that game yet..

Edited by gtaxpert

_Kindled_

The idea is: you find one thing that is the same size in IV and V, like a car, a roadwidth, or a tennis court, and you scale both maps based on that one thing.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, actually.

johnmxn

You guys are sure that the map is real?

Was watching the gameplay video and in part of Franklin, the camera pulls back and shows a part of the map and, soon after, moves further to Michael and Trevor, covering a distance much larger than the map appears.

Hopefully I have hit the right place xD

user posted image

user posted image

Eutyphro

Was watching the gameplay video and in part of Franklin, the camera pulls back and shows a part of the map and, soon after, moves further to Michael and Trevor, covering a distance much larger than the map appears.

Looks perfect to me. Magic_Al even layed the zoom ins on top of it and it fits perfectly. You can check that out over here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9...in/photostream/

Nem_Wan

It all fits together.

user posted image

johnmxn

Looks perfect to me. Magic_Al even layed the zoom ins on top of it and it fits perfectly. You can check that out over here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9...in/photostream/

Oh, perfect. Thanks smile.gif

bakerach

The idea is: you find one thing that is the same size in IV and V, like a car, a roadwidth, or a tennis court, and you scale both maps based on that one thing.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, actually.

You're about 6 months late to that train homeboy

cmichaelson

As i read this its sad that people are complaining when they haven't played that game. quit judging,you get what you get enjoy a really great game and thank rockstar. Im tired of reading so much negativity. Get over it.

GTAaLEX117

Just thought I'd post this here as well:

Al's original scale:

user posted image

How RDR fits into this scale:

user posted image

bakerach
Just thought I'd post this here as well:

Al's original scale:

user posted image

How RDR fits into this scale:

user posted image

icon14.gif

man2bfree
user posted image

SuccessPastaTime
Who's gonna have the balls to say LS isn't way too fucking small?

http://i.imgur.com/NinOo6h.jpg

Clearly the arrogant user that didn't bother to read the last 100 pages or so...

Oh, so now anybody who doesn't think as you do is an arrogant. notify.gif

@FranklinDeRoosevelt Respect buddy, I haven't insulted you. IV map is not zoomed in, look at the size of the blocks.

You guys! YOU GUYS! Obviously cities with completely different personalities must have the same sized blocks and distances between roads! It's physics, and you can't defy physics because God made physics and God is God.

God...

_Kindled_

Stop comparing the street lengths like that without even giving Liberty City a chance.

user posted image

Not all highways in New York are like that, that's what you need to understand.

NYC and LA are about the same size in terms of land mass.

Eutyphro
Stop comparing the street lengths like that without even giving Liberty City a chance.

Nobody is comparing street 'lengths'. They are comparing widths amongst other things.

'What you need to understand'. I do not understand you at all. Sorry. Sounds like nonsense to me.

GTAaLEX117

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/2357/ogef.jpg

This is what you get for not reading the thread.

I already did such an analysis a few months ago.

user posted image

And this one is done on Deff's car model method, just to show that his scaling is accurate.

user posted image

Edited by GTAaLEX117

_Kindled_

Made a comparison gif.

user posted image

user posted image

I see literally no difference in scale.