3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

[GTA|NFS|MP|OTHER] Widescreen Fixes Pack

ThirteenAG

Steam EXE is good for modding too, but it's been compiled using a different compiler so many hacks which work in 1.0 won't work in 3.0, even when altering the address. And the EXE is way less documented, so no wonder most can't be assed to add compatibility for it - it's more or less like rewriting the mod again for this EXE. III/VC Steam EXEs are much much more similar to 1.0/1.1 EXEs, so it's easier to add compatibility for them.

Besides, it's not purchaseable on steam now, maybe in a few weeks there will be no such thing like steam exe.

Hmm good point. I totally forgot they removed it from sale and if it's like the mobile version then everything will be different.

If Steam version will be a mobile version

9995114088047171160275.png

It should be supported out of the box with the fix, as it's 16:9. It only needs to be supported by your GPU driver.

Hey, is possible to disable menu and loading screen fixes?

Based gods ThirteenAG and Silent.

Is it possible to add a nice function to this "patch"?

When you ALT+TAB GTA:SA the window always get minimized, "SA Window" (http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=4404) prevents the game from minimizing when it's run as "Windowed" but it doesn't prevents the game from pausing/freezing when the window is not on "focus".

Is there any flag in the RenderWare engine to set the game to be always active?

Cheers!

Edited by Chilean Dawg

It's safe to say that the SA re-release for x360 have the "official" widescreen, fov, radar, hud size/values?

I don't think so, everything was revised to fit the mobile interface style. WSHPS without @ThirteenAG's addon gives you the sizes that were intended to be if a widescreen support would have been fully implemented on PS2 and PC port. It also tweaks proportions on non-widescreen resolutions.

I think Rockstar blessed certain design changes War Drum implemented, for example moving the weapons icon to the outside is consistent with every other GTA in the 3D era. Rockstar moved it inside when creating SA and back outside in LCS, and kept it outside in VCS, and now it's back outside in the "new" SA. This can be interpreted as a correction.

What Rockstar North would think is proper proportions and size on HD widescreen should be inferred from what they did in GTA IV. All subsequent Rockstar games of last-gen before GTAV respected that template. There's reason to believe people from Rockstar North flew to every other studio to make the HUD and controls in Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, and Max Payne 3 have some specific consistency with GTA IV so all the games would feel instantly comfortable to returning Rockstar customers. War Drum's effort doesn't have that degree of consistency.

Edited by Nem Wan

Just got Total Overdose from GOG and your WS fix is really nice. If you ever go back to it, it'd be cool to add FOV option and unstretch the HUD elements like you do in GTA games.

There are unnecessary black bars in cutscenes, but I doubt removing them will be easy as they are intentional and will fade away when it goes back to gameplay.

Edited by Blackbird88

I did nothing actually. And personnaly didn't test on steam version because i don't have flatout on steam, but people were saying it works.

Last time I tried it, it really worked. I guess I'll try again.

This is weird the menu is really broken. Parts of it are black and loading screen never disappears. Could it be some driver issue or something?

I'm 100% sure it worked. I only have Steam version and I played the game with the WS fix some time ago.

Edited by Blackbird88

I did nothing actually. And personnaly didn't test on steam version because i don't have flatout on steam, but people were saying it works.

Though, I searched this thread and I saw no mention of a new update.

And the patch you link on github has different (newer) files than the other on mediafire. That's why I thought you had somewhat updated it

I think Rockstar blessed certain design changes War Drum implemented, for example moving the weapons icon to the outside is consistent with every other GTA in the 3D era. Rockstar moved it inside when creating SA and back outside in LCS, and kept it outside in VCS, and now it's back outside in the "new" SA. This can be interpreted as a correction.

What Rockstar North would think is proper proportions and size on HD widescreen should be inferred from what they did in GTA IV. All subsequent Rockstar games of last-gen before GTAV respected that template. There's reason to believe people from Rockstar North flew to every other studio to make the HUD and controls in Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, and Max Payne 3 have some specific consistency with GTA IV so all the games would feel instantly comfortable to returning Rockstar customers. War Drum's effort doesn't have that degree of consistency.

Yea, that's also what I want. If it's from Rockstar for example I'd like to have the same FOV, same GFX settings and similar HUDs. If it's Need for Speed from Blackbox I expect similar reflection, similar textures and similar showroom.

It's a pity they always change the cameras in every GTA. GTA3 was perfect in that aspect. Now with ThirteenAG's HUD fix I'm still not sure which HUD is the "more perfect one". Either 3 or VC. Such a hard decision. Both look almost perfect now. And I couldn't care less for first person in GTA5.

I want back "my" top down view:

TopDownCity.png

Yeah I also wished R* would continue making III Era games independent of the HD Era, but oh well we have to accept that times have changed and evolution is inevitable. So back on topic, i noticed that during foggy weathers in SA the coronas(including the sun) have an sort of eggish shape, is this intended or a bug?

BXNUXpS.png

jYzLR2j.png

Just to make sure i won't forget anything, you can also post your bug reports and suggestions to github.com/ThirteenAG/Widescreen_Fixes_Pack/issues

I created a few already, hopefully i'll be able to sort it out soon.

Edited by ThirteenAG
  • Like 3

I uninstalled the widescreen support the other day and it turned out being a game feature as coronas sounded proportional without any patch.

012          345
678   9A   BCD
EFG HIJK LMN

OPQR  STUV
WX    YZ

I uninstalled the widescreen support the other day and it turned out being a game feature as coronas sounded proportional without any patch.

The complexity simplifier, the efficiency optimizer. You really stick by that title. Often modders don't really realize what is a feature and what is a bug. But the thing is that the people who download mods often cannot look into the code or if it's open source they do not understand it.

The point is that often there are no perfect circles in nature. So there is no need to want to make everything perfect in that aspect. Some things really rely on the weather or things unknown to even the people who know the code in and out.

The same thing with the headlight corona in VC and III. Did you ever shoot a photo at night with an old cellphone:

HID-lights-in-Huntington-Beach.jpg

193e1b59-22bd-4919-a499-d0beb05d4398.jpg

And while shooting photos in a foggy scenario the fog also effects how light is perceived:

Moon-pillar-horiz-Jan-16-2014S-400x279.j

motorway-spray-440.jpg

Edited by Nights744
  • Like 3

So I it looks like that's not a bug, my bad then sorry :p.

By the way have you ever thought about an widescreen fix for Ultimate Spider-Man? It's a great game, actually I think it's the best Spider-Man game I've ever played.

jYzLR2j.png

Okay, I checked the source and here's what causing the bug:

hook.cpp, line 824:

InstallHookOffShort((LPVOID)0x0058BB88, (LPVOID)0x0058BB92);
It should be

InstallHookOffShort((LPVOID)0x0058BB87, (LPVOID)0x0058BB92);
because

0058BB86 - 74 0A                 - je 0058BB92
Now it overwrites first byte of that instruction:

0058BB88 - 8A 0D 9367BA00        - mov cl,[00BA6793]
which results this bug(s).

Mystery solved, test version in a few minutes.

EDIT: Temporary fix - https://www.sendspace.com/file/b61zoa

EDIT2: Another test version for Sniper Elite: https://www.sendspace.com/file/r7vsss

Edited by ThirteenAG
  • Like 2

Was that the issue with Wesser's fix or your extension?

Using the temporary fix seems to move the text box down a bit.

4ECheq5.jpg

Try - https://www.sendspace.com/file/hjjic4

Also comes with windowed mode tweak, as suggested here, game will be running even if it's not an active window.

Was that the issue with Wesser's fix or your extension?

It is WSHPS.asi issue, i'm just fixing it until new version is released.

13AG, you should consider ditching wesser's plugin and developing a new one by yourself. I mean, a dozen bugs were reported about wshsps.asi, wesser didn't do nothing to solve them, and it's not the first hotfix you release for his plugin. Personally, I'm still using your old fix, apart from some (offscreen?) rendering issues, don't have any bug present in this current version.

• Like 2