Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,974 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
TheGTAClaude

Trails or no trails

TheGTAClaude

Do you guys prefer to play Vice City with or withouts trails.

Irrational

Without is much better.

I never turn on the "trails" option in any GTA game, but in Vice City Stories is a different case, i keep them "off" during day and "on" during night..

MrMateczko

Too bad there's no trails in VC on PC, at least without modding.

But hey lag, so no.

winme05

But hey lag, so no.

What kind of museum rig do you have? Trails were just fine on my GF4 MX440, unless we're speaking about ENB trails - those are laggy.

MrMateczko

But hey lag, so no.

What kind of museum rig do you have? Trails were just fine on my GF4 MX440, unless we're speaking about ENB trails - those are laggy.

ASUS Radeon HD5670 DDR3, at 1280x1024. What resolution do you had with GF4 MX440? (BTW I had this card on my old computer, good times smile.gif )

yoječ

The game definitely looks better with Trails. I still wonder why did they delete the option from the menu.

MrMateczko
I still wonder why did they delete the option from the menu.

Because of the reason I've posted. But they could leave it as on/off switch, weird R*.

Nopheros

Excuse me, but what is "trails? tounge.gif

OT: It depends if it's better or worse, I don't know what it is yet.

winme05

But hey lag, so no.

ASUS Radeon HD5670 DDR3, at 1280x1024. What resolution do you had with GF4 MX440? (BTW I had this card on my old computer, good times smile.gif )

I can't tell it now, but it was lower than yours. BTW, is your MX440 AGP8x one?

MrMateczko

BTW, is your MX440 AGP8x one?

I HAD this car, I don't know now, I sold my old computer. But I miss it so much.

Andreaz1

Trails aren't available on my PC but I really disliked the trails in GTA III and I turned them off there so I suppose I would here too.

TonyResta
Excuse me, but what is "trails? tounge.gif

OT: It depends if it's better or worse, I don't know what it is yet.

It's an option that used to be on the PS2 version of VC if i remember correctly. The game looks sharper with it off.

Algonquin Assassin

On. I don't like it switched off.

Trails aren't available on my PC but I really disliked the trails in GTA III and I turned them off there so I suppose I would here too.

Actually they are hidden in game files, there is a mod which restores them....too bad I can't find link to that mod now. confused.gif Anyway I really like trails they made from VC a whole new experience for me I started using them recently and they are awesome. wink.gif

Dealux

The trail effect makes the game more realistic; of course it's exaggerated but your eyes or rather your brain blurs things as well in real life. Also, in GTA III the trail option adds a nice blueish tint to the game. Same thing happens with Vice City except it is an orange tint.

winme05
BTW, is your MX440 AGP8x one?

I HAD this car, I don't know now, I sold my old computer. But I miss it so much.

That's why I don't sell ANY of my rig. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Macavell

As for GTA III, I hated trails when I started to play Vice City, don't ask me why. The games look so much better with trails on...

Here is the mod that enables trails for Vice City on PC: Click

Edited by Macavell

clockworkmechanicalman

NO. TRAILS. EVER!!! angry.gif

j7n

I tried the linked trails mod, but it did not install for me. For starters it required at least XP SP2 to load (DecodePointer import; obviously cannot run on computers from 2003), and even after I resolved the issue, the option for trails was nowhere to be seen.

Judging by the screenshots, this graphical effect is expected to leave a semitransparent trace of all moving objects on screen for a short duration.... That must seriously decrease visibility and increase difficulty. No way.

In San Andras I used the "motion blur" effect exclusively as a speedometer, since it only appeared when the player was moving at excessive speeds. I could go on a highway and maintain my speed around the point when the first trace appeared by tapping the accelerator, or compare top speeds of a few cars by counting the traces. High speed races with the effect were quite hard. In Vice City no such effect exists, and cars seem "slow" however. But why would I leave have the effect on, when I can be permanently on steroids at 75 FPS?

Ash_735
I tried the linked trails mod, but it did not install for me. For starters it required at least XP SP2 to load (DecodePointer import; obviously cannot run on computers from 2003), and even after I resolved the issue, the option for trails was nowhere to be seen.

Judging by the screenshots, this graphical effect is expected to leave a semitransparent trace of all moving objects on screen for a short duration.... That must seriously decrease visibility and increase difficulty. No way.

In San Andras I used the "motion blur" effect exclusively as a speedometer, since it only appeared when the player was moving at excessive speeds. I could go on a highway and maintain my speed around the point when the first trace appeared by tapping the accelerator, or compare top speeds of a few cars by counting the traces. High speed races with the effect were quite hard. In Vice City no such effect exists, and cars seem "slow" however. But why would I leave have the effect on, when I can be permanently on steroids at 75 FPS?

If you don't mind me asking what OS are you running, the guy who made the mod is on this forum and he's always interested in fixing problems with his mods to make sure it works for as many people as possible.

j7n

I am running XP SP1 on the gaming system, because I have found it to have better compatibility with games from 1997-2003. I understand that at this point compatibility with "new" software is "my" problem already. There is a solution (but the mod not loading has yet another reason).

The unmodified Vice City has two related visual effects which seem absent in San Andreas, making not only day bland and dirty, but also night much less glittery. Nights appear short, and dissolve into a bland sunrise very shortly.

1. "Flares" of most lights, which appear to be very bright at night.

2. Single pixel "trails" in response to very rapid mouse movement or steering. They look good with anti-alias.

Both of these seem to be "enough" to make driving at night very enjoyable. More effects usually indicate some acute hazard (like heat or alcohol intoxication).

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by j7n

Ash_735
I am running XP SP1 on the gaming system, because I have found it to have better compatibility with games from 1997-2003. I understand that at this point compatibility with "new" software is "my" problem already. There is a solution (but the mod not loading has yet another reason).

Then throw a message to Silent on here, or visit the thread in the modding section, he'll be more than happy to sort out this issue and make the mod work on old OS's to, he's already working on something to expand modding capabilities to SA2.0, so adding in something for Vice City to make his plug-ins work on older systems should be an ease for him.

Cr!minal

Off. On blurs image too much (effect is IMO overdone, at least on Xbox).