• Star-Lord

• MyName'sJeff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ordering the blue rey edition soon as I can. [/dad]

There's not much to gain from the titles, unless it fits in with Episode 9  

Big Molio
10 minutes ago, Honker1944 said:

After Rise of Skywalker and The Last Jedi I say that constraining "creative freedom" is a good, great choice even.  

Neither were bastions of originality.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Big Molio said:

This is the nub of my point. Is Star Wars going to only be successful as long as the familar images and characters from the Classic Trilogy are trotted out, or can Star Wars thrive when it goes somewhere completely new. Up to now, we keep getting the same things shown to us, stormtroopers for example, but does the franchise have to rely on these to remain popular, or will it go on to thrive as an IP without them, doing something completely fresh.

So let me get this straight. You're complaining this Star Wars show is too much like Star Wars. It needs to be less like Star Wars, but then it wouldn't succeed because it wouldn't be Star Wars enough, and any Star Wars show needs to be Star Warsy in order to thrive?

Man, this is a dumb point. Literally what happens to any franchise. Star Trek wouldn't be Star Trek without Star Trek things. Marvel shows wouldn't be Marvel shows without Marvel things. 

And you also assume that going completely fresh, completely new would be better than what it did, which I think is a very big question mark. This show was marvelously executed. They pushed new things in Star Wars, they used new formats, they tried new types of stories. First time we got some horror-like in Star Wars, in that prison break episode. It was awesome. We got some western in, we got some samurai in, we got a bit of everything. The Mandalorian sampled all kinds of genres to show how you could Star Wars them, and it worked very damn well. They brought stormtroopers because guess what, they are the official army of the empire. If the setting was earlier, it would have been clone troopers. If the setting was later, it would have been first order troopers. Even earlier or even later it would have been different kinds of trooper; but they still would have some resemblance to the former or the latter as there's a specific style for things in Star Wars, the universe has a particular look to it. 

Going "completely new" would mean it's not Star Wars. I'm not sure what your criticism is. Did they play it safe? A bit, but they still took a gamble on bringing in the characters that they brought. Executed poorly, and it would have been just pure old fan service that does nothing for the story. But they executed it damn near perfectly. 

• Like 2
Big Molio
5 hours ago, Tchuck said:

So let me get this straight. You're complaining this Star Wars show is too much like Star Wars. It needs to be less like Star Wars, but then it wouldn't succeed because it wouldn't be Star Wars enough, and any Star Wars show needs to be Star Warsy in order to thrive?

Man, this is a dumb point. Literally what happens to any franchise. Star Trek wouldn't be Star Trek without Star Trek things. Marvel shows wouldn't be Marvel shows without Marvel things. 

And you also assume that going completely fresh, completely new would be better than what it did, which I think is a very big question mark. This show was marvelously executed. They pushed new things in Star Wars, they used new formats, they tried new types of stories. First time we got some horror-like in Star Wars, in that prison break episode. It was awesome. We got some western in, we got some samurai in, we got a bit of everything. The Mandalorian sampled all kinds of genres to show how you could Star Wars them, and it worked very damn well. They brought stormtroopers because guess what, they are the official army of the empire. If the setting was earlier, it would have been clone troopers. If the setting was later, it would have been first order troopers. Even earlier or even later it would have been different kinds of trooper; but they still would have some resemblance to the former or the latter as there's a specific style for things in Star Wars, the universe has a particular look to it. 

Going "completely new" would mean it's not Star Wars. I'm not sure what your criticism is. Did they play it safe? A bit, but they still took a gamble on bringing in the characters that they brought. Executed poorly, and it would have been just pure old fan service that does nothing for the story. But they executed it damn near perfectly. 

Okay, let's start again because there seems to be some misunderstanding here. I am neither complaining nor criticising. I have already said that I loved the Mandalorian and grinned as much as anybody at the finale. You don't need to defend it quite so vigorously man, I am on your side.

All I am saying is that, up to now, Disney's Star Wars seems to be very reliant on Classic Trilogy characters and imagery. Of course the Star Wars "universe" has an aesthetic and tropes that define it as Star Wars, I am not disputing that. 

The question was (and it is only a casual musing remember, no matter how dumb you think it is) simply, how often are Disney going to rely on getting their audience pops from moments like "Yay, it's Han Solo and Chewie!" or "Yay, it's the Millennium Falcon!" or "Yay, Stormtroopers!"

Hopefully, like George Lucas' prequels did, regardless of what people think of them, the High Republic era content that is mooted will switch things up a bit and we see "new" things within the Star Wars universe.

• Like 1

The Sequel Trilogy was pure trash, way worse than the prequels even. They rehashed the same old Empire vs Rebels bs, took a sh*t on the OT characters (even Mark Hamill disliked "Jake" Skywalker from TLJ) and had a very bland new cast. Not to mention resurrecting Palpatine

Thank god for the Mandalorian, its the best Star Wars related thing we have had since Kotor. The last episode of S2 was just hype, finally seeing Luke wrecking sh*t and being a badass.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Zello

Was watching the old 2003 clone wars show even if it's not considered "canon" anymore it was pretty good. Ventress vs Anakin was f*cking good when the rain touches the lightsabers...

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2
TheMadHammer
On 12/28/2020 at 3:16 AM, Craigsters said:

I love internet finds like this. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...