Cyberpunk 2077

BullworthAcademy

The launch skill tree and the v2 overhaul of that they did in one of the patches were just plain... bad. One of my major criticisms from day 1 was that progression in the game was poor and that itemisation was also poor, aka the skill tree sucked and the affixes and attributes on weapons/mods/cyberware all sucked. The skill tree didn't really feel like it opened up playstyles much if at all, outside of the hacking ones anyway, as they were mainly passive stat boosts. The itemisation was just mad, like scopes would give 0.07 range and stuff which was like ????????, then you had the best mods always being +damage and +armor. Not really looked too deeply into what they're doing w/ itemisation but it does sound more interesting for sure, and cyberware this time around feels like it's harder to ignore, as you could pretty comfortably do a cyberware free run in the launch game, outside of forced cyberware like the hand and eye upgrades anyway.

I do sort of worry about a lack of depth w/ the new tree in some ways, like if you want to use a specific type of gun you basically just have one tree to go down, if you want to use pistols your skills for that may force you to spec into cool, which is largely stealth focused. That being said the trees are laid out well enough that there's no real forced crossover, so I could say grab the pistol skills, ignore the other aspects of the cool tree, and go for a blades/pistol hybrid still, or a pistol/sniper hybrid, without having to take skills you won't use but need to take to unlock the skills you want to take. That's good.

They've also basically removed crafting from the tree entirely which I think is also a good idea tbh. Interested to see how it works now in 2.0, whether or not there's some form of progression still or if it just depends on what recipes and resources you have, but yea, crafting being a big part of the skill tree can often result in a whole bunch of your points being locked in unlocking aspects of the game vs defining your playstyle. Starfield kinda has this issue as I've said in that thread, though Starfield's got deeper systems in that area so it wasn't quite as bad as it was in vanilla Cyberpunk.

I think it's kind of nova that WWE's sponsor these past few weeks has been Phantom Liberty. It's so surreal hearing commentators talk about Cyberpunk 2077 of all things.

Spoiler

iEMNSmR.jpg

1ro0E63.jpg

g4K8dP3.jpg

Quality ain't the best, I know.

Very interested to see the side content in PL. I'm not worried about the quality of it, though. Some of the side quests in the base game were done very well, I thought, and well worth doing/rewarding.

• Realistic Steak! 1

1 hour ago, Punkd said:

tomorrow we will get first reviews, i wonder how many hours the dlc-story will take to beat

The main story isn't particularly long if you hammer through it, like 15-20 hours? So I don't expect the expansions main story to be long, maybe ~10 hours or so. But hopefully, like the main game, there's some good meaty side quests and side content in there.

Blood and Wine was at least 20 hours long, closer to 30 if you do everything. Phantom Liberty better not just be 10 hours long given how much they've been promoting it. 

So, DLSS 3.5 is launching on the 21st. I would have expected it to come within the 2.0 update. I've not really seen anywhere that it will, only that it's meant to be launching alongside Phantom Liberty. 🤔

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dlss-3-5-available-september-21/

Edit: Nevermind, had a comb through that Nvidia link:

"And on September 26th, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty launches with full ray tracing, DLSS 3.5, and Ray Reconstruction".

Edited by lndex

3.5 only seems to work on path tracing / overdrive mode at launch sadly. Sounds like they do plan on supporting it for non-path traced RT at some point though.

First review went live early from PushSquare: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eIYV6-1Yb_gJ:https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps5/cyberpunk-2077-phantom-liberty

vC5G4Zi.png

Same review says it has about a 30 hour run time but no mention of how much this was side content.

Embargo up, full reviews out now: https://opencritic.com/game/15196/cyberpunk-2077-phantom-liberty

Sitting at 90/100 after 42 reviews.

Lot of praise on the story, the missions themselves, side content and Dogtown its self, plus a few mentions that it's just a really good send off for the game. Also seen a few comments about how well it seamlessly fits into the main game and world, as if it was always there pretty much.

Sounds like overall it's about 30 hours of content.

Looking forward to it... as long as runs alright on my PC. :lol:

Reviews are looking good, and performance doesn't seem to be something to worry about either. MrMatty mentioned he's rocking a 3080 quad-core CPU (pretty much the same build as mine apart from CPU), and it's running fine.

Also, a couple of bad points, like boss fights, are lacking a bit, and dialogue can be inconsistent in tone. The new 2.0 build system is getting a hell of a lot of praise, as is PL's ending, which affects the base game ending. One reviewer mentioned that was their highlight.

Edited by lndex

The new skill tree just looks leaps and bounds better. Like I said a few days ago it's not perfect and does probably lack a bit of breadth but at the same time it's just a massive leap forward for CDPR's skill tree systems. I really hope they learn a lot from it and go nuts with that type of stuff for TW4 and the next Cyberpunk. I haven't seen much of the cyberware but I've heard a few things that make it sound like that's much improved too.

The whole skill and gear (cyberware, but also weapons and mods) systems in the launch game were a major part of my criticism, it was the same boring sh*te we had in the TW3 and was one of the areas of Cyberpunk where it was just plainly evident that they hadn't evolved their RPG and progression design one bit since TW3, but this now seems like a big step forward for them.

It looks like crafting now uses fewer resources, and now you'll be crafting in tiers from 1 to 5, and then into tier 5+ items and weapons later on. Blueprints are also still there to buy.

Yea curious to see how that works now that it's not gated behind leveling. Most RPG's still level gate that stuff by putting it behind skill trees, if CDPR do it right here maybe it will have some influence on future RPG's, that'd be nice tbh. Being a crafter aint much of a fun playstyle for single player RPG's but the skill point cost in most RPG's usually requires it.

A polish site did a full GPU benchmarking pass, seems like it's on a 13900k mind you which is one of the best CPU's on the market, but all the figures don't seem to use DLSS unless specified: https://www.purepc.pl/test-wydajnosci-cyberpunk-2077-phantom-liberty-pc-jak-bardzo-cyberpunk-2077-patch-2-0-podnosi-wymagania-sprzetowe?page=0,11

Nothing stands out as alarming and modern DLSS is a lot better than the DLSS the game launched with which had some quite poor image quality at performance and balanced so playing 2.0/PL on DLSS balanced should be a much better visual experience than it was back at launch while helping the game stay above or around 60.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emmi said:

It's such a shame CDPR decided to switch to Unreal Engine for their future projects. :(

I hear it's a 15 year contract as well 😐

All this amazing work that's gone into making the RED engine one of the most impressive engines in the industry and yet despite them going back to the genre the engine was made for (fantasy RPG) they've thrown it away in favour of Unreal.

Worse still is so far UE5's track record isn't good, the games running on UE5 so far run like sh*t. There's a Nexon looter shooter (First Descendant) that is running on UE5.2 and it does actually run very solid in fairness, so perhaps there's hope it's not all bad.

That being said Nanite has a particularly look to it and I do worry we're going to be seeing tons of hyper detailed vistas in up coming years, that may sound cool at first but I do worry it'll result in a lot of samey looking games over the next few years.

Patch is out in 15 mins, I think. New nVidia driver also out.

It's out. 25.4gb on Steam.

Up on GOG, why it came out before Steam I do not know... lmao.

Edit: Ah yes, you have to love the way GOG handles updates...54GB :cry:

Edited by lndex

After Starfield it's easy to forgot what top tier DLSS implementation looks like lol. The difference between DLSS performance and DLSS balanced in this game is ridiculously small and the image quality is still pretty damn nice with no real blurryness at all.

Think I'ma just keep it on performance for the super smooth frames with no RT. Game still looks really good without RT it has to be said, albeit I don't miss the grainy SSR reflections in this game, bumped that up to Psycho to reduce it as much as possible.

Mhm, when it comes to RT, I'ma just sticking with reflections, I think, not too keen on the games Ray Traced lighting, which looks too bloom-like and murky in some places. I've yet to get on the game, though.

If I remember correctly, it was always off or Ultra/Psycho with SSR to reduce the grain. No need if you've got reflections on, I would imagine. I'll see what my 3080 can pull. The thing is built like a tank or, in my case, a f*ckin oven. :D

Edited by lndex

I think I'm p much on the OG "optimised" settings from launch, I haven't touched them beyond putting SSR up to Psycho, with DLSS performance. It's running and looking great, 80+fps at all times, it makes the melee so much better in particular. The games normal lighting is impressive tbh, you never really see it showed off w/ the normal lighting as all their footage is PC w/ raytracing (or pathtracing now) but it looks great. Can be a bit bright on the faces in the open world sometimes but the frame rate is more than worth it for me.

Can definitely feel some of the early changes, there's A LOT more police on the streets now. There's an early gang vs police fight right next to where you first meet Dex, in the past you'd kill the gang members and get a "woo yea!" from the police but after the patch they chased me down lol. Also seems to be a bunch of new clothing, dunno if it was w/ 2.0 or earlier patches but new variants of old styles plus a few new models altogether. Cyberware stuff already seems way better too. Crafting is more simple but more straight forward, no more upgrading any and all weapons, only Iconic weapons.

Also doesn't appear to be grenades or medsticks you pick up anymore, you just equip a certain type and you have a number of charges to use them, with a recharge time for each charge. NPC's also don't drop clothing anymore, for w/e reason. End result there is there's less things to loot but perhaps that's not a bad thing, even for a loot hoarder like my self.

The only visual issue I'm having, and I think it was still prevalent when the game first released, is that with contact shadows enabled, there's almost like this weird shimmering going on, mostly on character faces.

I've seem some shimmering stuff yea, on some floors and walls. If it's a shadows thing that persists I might put RT local shadows on, it's a relatively light performance hit.

Oh man, combat is so much fun. I've been dashing around with the katana and am very much looking forward to getting the perk to deflect bullets.

Also, have you noticed now that they've made the vehicle sound better? Not just that continues engine noise, lol.

I thought my car sounded better lol. I never really played the patches and haven't touched the game proper in yonks so I don't know what is new and what's not but your OG car sounds a bit more beastly for sure.

For me I'm sinking points into body and gunning for that dismemberment skill. Rocking shotgun, LMG and a blunt melee weapon right now as my three weapons and having a lot of fun with it. Also have to say I really like the medpack/grenade change. No more having to scrounge for medpacks or grenades, you just have charges. It also has the side effect of making you have to think a little more about combat as you can't spam medpacks like a nutter. I've even started using flashbangs instead of plain ol' grenades, lobbing them into crowds and then flying in with my shotgun/bat.

Been looking at the cyberware as well and even w/ the early stuff I can see it's obvious it's just straight up much better there. Actual interesting options, already installing stuff that suits my build like the health on kill.

The skill tree, crafting, weapons, cyberware all just feel more connected to each other than they did at launch, and then the combat really shines more because of it.

Coming back to Cyberpunk after playing some Starfield, and I already miss the freedom to switch between 1st and 3rd person perspectives.

IPMBMBAP

I definitely appreciate what Cyberpunk did with it's forced first person, the way it tells the story is I think enhanced by the perspective, the scene when you're stuck behind the TV towards the end of act 1, all the sit downs you do and talk to people face to face etc. It's really well done and for me justified their decision.

...but yes, I do like the choice. I don't find my self just strolling around in Cyberpunk like I do in other open world RPG's with third person. Being able to see my character interact with the environment, move through crowds, see my customisation, it does matter to me in a RPG. So while I'm perfectly happy w/ Cyberpunk 2077 as is I do hope that the next Cyberpunk game is both first and third.

• Like 2