• Luis Fernando Lopez (GTA TBOGT)
    • Huang Lee (GTA CW)
    • Michael (GTA V)
    • Trevor (GTA V)
    • Franklin (GTA V)

1 minute ago, GKZ said:

I never saw such a bad criticism.

5 minutes ago, Lioshenka said:

Believe me, this is not the only reason why I don't like GTA 4 ;)

GKZ is right. I'm not here to defend IV tooth and nail because I'm not the biggest fan of it either but putting forward points that are so trivial adds nothing to the conversation. Wow a character can't pronounce a name in one instance. Someone call metacritic and get GTA IV's score knocked down a few points.

• Like 3
Lioshenka
18 minutes ago, GKZ said:

I never saw such a bad criticism.

I never saw such a badly done protagonist either.

12 minutes ago, mde2 said:

Wow a character can't pronounce a name in one instance.

We have people on these forums who are constantly criticising various GTAs for bad weapons sounds, so what? Guess what - they all sound the same!

In this thread we are discussing characters. Niko character is a badly written one, full stop. If we were discussing the game mechanics, for instance, I'd have no problem with Niko not being able to speak his mother tongue.

Edited by Lioshenka
  • Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
10 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

It sounds like you misunderstood my point - I agreed that while I am seriously unhappy with the voice choice for NIko vast majority of players don't have that issue because they are juveniles from the USA. Just like I wouldn't know better if Claude spoke with Californian accent or if Michael spoke with a Chicago accent (I assume these things exist).

I assume Niko is supposed to be Serbian, but he pronounces his surname as Bellik. That suggests that he's native language is English. Has he been from Eastern Europe he'd either say that he is Bellich or Bellits. When a character can't pronounce his own surname it sort of ruins the game, as least for me! :)

Apologies! Understood now.

I feel like the pronunciation thing is probably just fudging things a bit to make the name easy to pronounce for English speakers, they want a catchy/easy to say etc name for the protagonist. It wouldn't even be written as Bellic in Serbian, it would be Belić, so it's not really even the pronunciation but the spelling. I think it can be explained away somewhat legitimately as him "Anglicising" his name on moving the US and beginning to speak primarily in English (like maybe his full proper name in Serbian is something like Nikola Belić, but since Roman "translated" his name to Bellic in the US he did the same, something along those lines). That can kind of explain the spelling and pronunciation being less than authentic from a realism standpoint (even if it's really done for aesthetic purposes for the game). Something tells me that in a game that has a character called "Ivan Bytchkov" cultural authenticity wasn't necessarily number one priority when naming characters.

I just think accent authenticity isn't the be all and end all. More factors to consider than that when judging the voice acting, and more legitimate reasons they'd lessen or compromise how realistically Serbian it is than just laziness. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
iiCriminnaaL
1 hour ago, Lioshenka said:

Niko character is a badly written one, full stop.

Not like the other protagonists are written any better.

At least he's one of the most consistent.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
  • Like 4
6 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Not like the other protagonists are any better.

Yeah I'm not sure what his opinions on the other protagonists are but its not like they're pinnacles of good writing either. Niko was like the first protagonist to have depth and multiple dimensions as a character and was more than just a "hurr durr i am angry and will kill anyone who gets in my way" person.

Edited by mde2
  • Like 8
HarryTVisitor
23 minutes ago, mde2 said:

Yeah I'm not sure what his opinions on the other protagonists are but its not like they're pinnacles of good writing either. Niko was like the first protagonist to have depth and multiple dimensions as a character and was more than just a "hurr durr i am angry and will kill anyone who gets in my way" person.

Well, at least in terms of it actually being incorporated into gameplay.

I believe they tried adding those sorts of elements to CJ in San Andreas and Vic from Vice City Stories, but those were only elements of their characters, and even then those would only be in cutscenes, meaning they'd just go back to being assholes as soon as you got back into gameplay.

Niko on the other hand, while you can still be a jerk in game, there's at least missions and such that actually play into the serious element of his character and that's probably why most seem to like him more than anyone.

Plus, GTA IV is also when Rockstar started to become far more serious and realistic in terms of their writing. As opposed to the previous games where they were more action-oriented and would hardly have serious, emotional moments.

Edited by Sonicdude
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Sonicdude said:

I believe they tried adding those sorts of elements to CJ in San Andreas and Vic from Vice City Stories, but those were only elements of their characters, and even then they would go right back to being assholes as soon as you got back into gameplay. Niko on the other hand, while you can still be a jerk in game, there's at least missions and such that actually play into the serious element of his character and that's probably why most seem to like him more than anyone. 

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here, and I'm not trying to be a dick. Like what do you mean by elements? Serious elements? Elements that give context and reasoning for the characters actions? Elements that give the character motivation?

and that's probably why most seem to like him more than anyone. 

In case I haven't made it clear enough by constantly saying "I don't care that much for GTA IV", once again, I don't care about Niko. I'm just saying that he's got more going for him. Doesn't mean I like him more.

HarryTVisitor
2 minutes ago, mde2 said:

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here, and I'm not trying to be a dick. Like what do you mean by elements? Serious elements? Elements that give context and reasoning for the characters actions? Elements that give the character motivation?

By "Elements" I mean like, bits and parts of certain cutscenes in those games where the characters show some kind of compassion or guilt for their actions in a serious, emotional way, only for those parts of them to completely vanish in-game.

3 minutes ago, mde2 said:

In case I haven't made it clear enough by constantly saying "I don't care that much for GTA IV", once again, I don't care about Niko. I'm just saying that he's got more going for him. Doesn't mean I like him more.

Oh I wasn't trying to back up as if you did like him more, I was just trying to give an explanation as to why most seem to like him. I respect your opinions!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sonicdude said:

By "Elements" I mean like, bits and parts of certain cutscenes in those games where the characters show some kind of compassion or guilt for their actions in a serious, emotional way, only for those parts of them to completely vanish in-game.

Thanks for clarifying and I'm inclined to agree with you...in regards to Vic. But like I've said before CJ is about on par with Tommy and Claude in terms of their guilt in or empathy in regards to interactions with others. I completely overlooked Vic, thanks for the reminder. I always thought of him as like a proto-Niko.

Oh I wasn't trying to back up as if you did like him more, I was just trying to give an explanation as to why most seem to like him. I respect your opinions!

My bad bro. A lot of people on this forum like to make assumptions about a lot of things and given it's like 7:00 am here it f*cks with you a little.

HarryTVisitor
1 minute ago, mde2 said:

Thanks for clarifying and I'm inclined to agree with you...in regards to Vic. But like I've said before CJ is about on par with Tommy and Claude in terms of their guilt in or empathy in regards to interactions with others. I completely overlooked Vic, thanks for the reminder. I always thought of him as like a proto-Niko.

Yeah. I always kinda thought of VCS' story as a sort of half-way transition in between 3D era Rockstar, and HD era Rockstar in terms of storytelling. There's a lot more quite moments in that game's cutscenes, and it's production values are pretty high. But enough about worshiping that game in the wrong forum. 

In terms of CJ, I would disagree in terms of cutscenes. In cutscenes, CJ seems far more human than the likes of Tommy and Claude. He's more prone to mistakes and he isn't all bad-ass in everything he does. He feels more human and even expresses regret for killing his former friend Big Smoke at the very end of the game. I feel these parts to him make him just a bit more interesting. However, in terms of gameplay I would totally agree with you. It's extremely jarring when you see CJ acting all calm and collected in a cutscene, only for him to just start being a total jerk in-game to people with lines like "Aww, you're too kind" after he picks up some dead pedestrian's money. It's seriously jarring. 

That being said though, I do find Tommy to still be the most overrated as he's almost as uninteresting as Claude. 

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
8 hours ago, mde2 said:

On this basis alone he deserves all the praise he gets even if the small population of Niko haters on this forum don't like it. Tough sh*t is what I say :).

• Like 3
DirtCheap

People keep saying CJ is overrated, but I disagree.

Call me a SA fanboy or some other sh*t, but what I liked about CJ is that he shows more emotions compared to the other 3D Era protagonists. Claude was characterless and bland (so bland, he doesn't even deserve to be called overrated), Tommy was always angry for some reason (it did suit him at times, which is why he's still one of my favorite GTA protagonists), Toni was some boring lapdog, and Vic was too loud and hypocritical for me. However CJ actually showed remorse at times. He felt bad about killing both Smoke and Ryder (despite their betrayal), and he tried to help those in need (Sweet, Kendl, Zero, Woozie, etc.). Yes, I will admit that he was somewhat inconsistent at times e.g. desperately begging Catalina not to shoot him (despite him being fearless in LS), burying some foreman cause he called Kendl a hooker, giving in to Sweet's complaints, etc. . CJ may be flawed, but he has some redeemable qualities hidden in there.

You wanna know who's overrated though? Michael and Franklin.

Michael is some whiny, c*cked crook who ratted out his best friend for his own personal gain, and hid like a pussy for 9 years. Disgusting.

Franklin is so boring and bland, that the only thing that could be considered good about him is his Slow Driving ability. 

I also don't understand the hate for Trevor. He's a horrid psychopath, yet he's manages to be both fearless and hilarious at the same time. He's feared all across Sandy Shores, and has a price on his head from various gangs, all because he wanted his business to be the best (he doesn't even care that he's wanted).

Niko is a great character really and deserves all the praise he gets. However, I really dislike how any of his few flaws are dismissed quickly on these forums e.g. his horrific Serbian and his somewhat hypocritical attitude (always lecturing people on crime, yet he has no problem murdering thousands). If CJ and the others can get criticized, why can't Niko? 

Johnny was a badass, respectable biker in TLAD. In V, he's just some hot-headed tweaker. Disgraceful. He deserves no praise after that display (hugging the guy who banged your broad, how c*cked can you get?). Overrated in these forums.

Luis is godawful, yet no one really likes him, so he can't really be considered as overrated.

There, my opinion.

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
19 minutes ago, DirtCheap said:

Johnny was a badass, respectable biker in TLAD. In V, he's just some hot-headed tweaker. Disgraceful. He deserves no praise after that display (hugging the guy who banged your broad, how c*cked can you get?). Overrated in these forums.

Why? 

It's not the fault of the character the writing turned him into some hot headed tweaker. A complete 180 from how he appeared in TLAD.  You're right though that in TLAD he's bad arse and respectable. That's what people remember the most about him. Not the pathetic excuse for "shock value" in GTA V.

• Like 4
DirtCheap
15 minutes ago, American Venom said:

Why? 

It's not the fault of the character the writing turned him into some hot headed tweaker. A complete 180 from how he appeared in TLAD.  You're right though that in TLAD he's bad arse and respectable. That's what people remember the most about him. Not the pathetic excuse for "shock value" in GTA V.

Well for me he's overrated. I can understand why people liked him in TLAD, but after V, he became such a disgrace, I could not believe it when I saw he still had some sort of following here. 

Like you said, him in V was just a pathetic excuse for shock value, but replaying TLAD isn't the same knowing that this badass biker turns out to be some c*cked tweaker in the future.

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
9 minutes ago, DirtCheap said:

Well for me he's overrated. I can understand why people liked him in TLAD, but after V, he became such a disgrace, I could not believe it when I saw he still had some sort of following here. 

Like you said, him in V was just a pathetic excuse for shock value, but replaying TLAD isn't the same knowing that this badass biker turns out to be some c*cked tweaker in the future.

Well I guess if people like a certain character enough they're not going to change their minds. I concede Johnny doesn't really have the universal appeal like protagonists such as Tommy and Niko, but I've always felt he had a bit of a cult following.

I liked him in the couple of appearances in GTA IV and he was/is great as the protagonist in TLAD. Despite how he's treated in GTA V that's never really swayed my views on him. I can still enjoy his work in TLAD regardless, but that's just me.

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
OH76

CJ. Still one of my favorite protagonist, but people only praise the sh*t out of him because of customization and sh*t.

Payne

Carl is overrated. People like him because of the game i guess? He is not bad but he is not special either.

• Like 2
AlexnderJ

FYI, you're not allowed to say Niko or Johnny, or else the forum gets into a tizzy over it

Spoiler

and sadly, Niko and Johnny are the most overrated considering how much this forum auto-fellates  their characters and dismisses every critical flaw about them

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
  • excuseme 2
Algonquin Assassin
1 hour ago, AlexnderJ said:

FYI, you're not allowed to say Niko or Johnny, or else the forum gets into a tizzy over it

Reveal hidden contents

and sadly, Niko and Johnny are the most overrated considering how much this forum auto-fellates  their characters and dismisses every critical flaw about them

It’s nice to see you waited 11 months to post again contributing to your stellar 20 post record by insulting everyone who likes a couple of fictional characters you don’t.

GTA IV haters are so cute. Also why is there always a dick sucking reference with these people as their main argument? No one’s interested in what latent homosexual thoughts you’re having pal.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 2
AlexnderJ
3 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

It’s nice to see you waited 11 months to post again contributing to your stellar 20 post record by insulting everyone who likes a couple of fictional characters you don’t.

GTA IV haters are so cute. Also why is there always a dick sucking reference with these people as their main argument? No one’s interested in what latent homosexual thoughts you’re having pal.

it's nice to see you quote my post as if it personally attacked you or your favorite characters, such a fragile mindset; lol

Edited by AlexnderJ
  • KEKW 1
Algonquin Assassin
3 hours ago, AlexnderJ said:

it's nice to see you quote my post as if it personally attacked you or your favorite characters, such a fragile mindset; lol

If you don’t like being called out then don’t make retarded posts fragile one.

Thelema93

Tommy. Just because of his voice actor and  his cool ass shirt... 

FanEu7
7 hours ago, AlexnderJ said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's true for CJ fans or Tommy fans (and others) too, not sure why you think that just Niko and Johnny fans defend their favourite characters. 

• Like 1
Niobium

trevor phillips, the most overrated video game character in the entire galaxy. f*ck this guy.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1
DR:BUSTA

Doesn't overrated mean getting more than the love they deserve

I see that all of them are getting the exact amount of love they deserve

GhettoJesus
1 hour ago, Niobium said:

trevor phillips, the most overrated video game character in the entire galaxy. f*ck this guy.

Does he really have that big of a fanbase? Most people seem to dislike him.

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
3 hours ago, Niobium said:

He f*cked Ashley good though.

:p

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 1
billiejoearmstrong8
22 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

He f*cked Ashley good though.

:p

Just reminded me of when I saw some youtube comment that referred to Johnny as "the guy who got his girlfriend f*cked by some old c*nt" that for some reason really made me laugh and still does to this day lol

Trevor is more often than not categorized as just a crazy redneck with all depth ignored, even among fans of his. He's already underrated there. And people who dislike him usually at least admit he's very well acted. I'd say people who truly rate him highly (beyond just that he's fun because he's crazy) are in the minority and he's already rated at a level that shouldn't bother his dislikers too much. Can't see how he could be considered as overrated overall. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1
FanEu7
4 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

Does he really have that big of a fanbase? Most people seem to dislike him.

On this forum, with the general community he seems to be pretty popular..definitely not "disliked"