GTA IV vs GTA V graphics comparision

RomanBOY123

You can see how much better the detail is within the city, WOW. Absolutely amazing how they got this much detail from these current gen consoles. Liberty city looks blocky, bland, and like sh*t compared to los santos. They got this kind of quality of graphics from the same system, it shows how much R* has improved. The lighting is terrific, the models are much more realistic but still have the GTA look. Its like red dead redemption, but will be much better.

RomanBOY, you're amazing! Lots of effort into this.

Hard to tell. Lighting is definitely better in V, but in some screenshots it looks like shadows are smooth and sharper in IV than V, like that one with the motorbike and two taxis in the background.

MosquitoSmasher
Damn, these comparisons are pretty spot on. Couldn't even tell the difference of the screens with the bikes at first..

HOW DO WE KNOW IT'S A PS3 DEMO BRO

Edit: But seriously, this is a great comparison post. Good work.

It has been confirmed in the GI article..

The demo was on PS3. But I highly doubt the screens were taken straight off from the demo.

I think they are

A German previewer said the game in motion is exactly like the screenshots, just as good. Which is incredibly impressive.

user posted image

user posted image

Look at the lines on parachutes in these pics (i.e. the cords connecting the canopy to the harness). GTA:IV's chute lines are horrible and pixelated. GTA:V's chute lines are straight and smooth. A beautiful demonstration that shows that we finally have some anti-aliasing.

Wow very accurate comparisons. I thought GTA V looked extremely amazing next to San Andreas screenshots but now GTA IV's graphics are starting to look terrible compared to GTA V. I wonder what the PC specs will be, imagine the detail on PC!

First of, thank you and congratulations in this amazing job, you made a great work to recreate the screens.

And second now I'm sure the "PS3 demo screens" are from something using DX10 and DX11 (PS3 and Xbox 360 are only capable of Dx9), so no way that is from a console. Look to the lights thats is deferred lightning, bokeh effect, point-light specular and others.

Look to the screen of Michael with the phone, that light source is most likely DX10 or 11, I can't remember the exact name but when there was the change between DX's there was a lot of images showing the differences in light sources and resembles that.

Also the screen of the overview of Los Santos from the Dam, the mountain textures look like they have tessellation, RDr had good textures but they aren't alike:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010...mountains02.jpg

And the water effects, are also too good:

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/screens/1280/29.jpg

Compare with the water textures here and even the mountain textures, they aren't like the ones of that overview:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/...27568164442.jpg

-----------

And you can find many differences between screens and their quality amount of AA. So how can this be?

It's not a matter of how good the consoles are, and how optimized the game is and how it evolved, it is that there are many hardware restrictions to get some of these visual in the current gen of consoles.

So there are 2 options, the screens where heavenly modified or their were taken from a PC.

----

Maybe someone with more knowledge about these techniques can explain it better.

Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF

So there are 2 options, the screens where heavenly modified or their were taken from a PC.

Nah, they just really got the hang of the RAGE engine on consoles now.... They are using

everything they know from previous games and putting it towards this one. PC hasn't even been

officially announced yet. Rockstar doesn't deceive its customers, they won't use PC screens if they know people

think they are putting out console screens.

Those are console screens my friend...

I doubt it but I'll be surprised if they are, there is no consistency in the screens they show, some look very good others not so good.

And like I said those techniques are limited by hardware not the game engine, and too be honest the PC screens maxed out here look very bad compared with the screens and PC was running at max with AA, so how is it possible that a DX9 game looks better now compared to another DX9 game that had setting a lot higher? Performance optimizations yes, but visual optimizations without pushing the hardware? That will be a miracle.

Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF

The lighting and clarity is SO much better.

But as for the textures and what not, just barely better, but what can you expect, its the same old hardware.

Great improvement and excellent job on the screens for real.

I don't know how people can be in such a negative mood still. Hearing how great the game is and see how good the game actually looks... it just goes to show some people will never find happiness.

Gray Fox: I'm like you, I have no name.