Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,503 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

mirmihir

Dan Houser on GTAV

costanza
Can't believe he managed to not watch breaking bad

Respect + for Dan Houser not ever watching Breaking Bad. It's just another rubbish old American TV show that is over sensationalized. I'm sick of people trying to throw it in my face like it's this groundbreaking new invention that they've never heard of a Film/TV show that is actually "half" decent.

Protagonist becoming antagonist? Bitch, please... Has nobody heard of a little guy you might know, his name is Alfred Hitchcock. He experimented with things like false protagonists in Psycho, and this same idea (protagonist to antagonist) in Vertigo.

So Breaking Bad's premise is about 50 years old...

icon14.gif Those shows are average, but they've never seen anything half decent before so they're all the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Watch some Seinfeld FFS.

Art Vandelay checking in.

icon14.gif

JuventusFC

Respect + for Dan Houser not ever watching Breaking Bad. It's just another rubbish old American TV show that is over sensationalized. I'm sick of people trying to throw it in my face like it's this groundbreaking new invention that they've never heard of a Film/TV show that is actually "half" decent.

Protagonist becoming antagonist? Bitch, please... Has nobody heard of a little guy you might know, his name is Alfred Hitchcock. He experimented with things like false protagonists in Psycho, and this same idea (protagonist to antagonist) in Vertigo.

icon14.gif Those shows are average, but they've never seen anything half decent before so they're all the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Watch some Seinfeld FFS.

Art Vandelay checking in.

icon14.gif

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

florisinfernus
Seinfeld is a show.. So your comparison is valid.

icon14.gif

It makes no sense to say that modern day crime shows are average compared to seinfeld. It would be relevant to say they are average compared to older crime shows.

Saying Seinfeld is better than Breaking Bad is like saying your mom is better than ice cream.

saintsrow

thats cool  tounge.gif

haha i love this:

¨Q. At this stage in the process, what’s left to do with Grand Theft Auto V?

A. We are editing, fixing, removing, replacing, adding, avidly. It’s the equivalent of, if you wrote a book, and you had two million spelling mistakes. ¨

I also like this statement and I can believe that really is the way they work -- which keeps things on the freshest and most creative edge, brainstorming and improvising right to the end. Gives me hope that GTAV will be much better than the impression we are getting from the GI article.

But here's one thing I wonder about:

"We wanted this post-crash feeling, because it works thematically in this game about bank robbers. And that seems like it’s going to endure through the next year."

As I wrote in one of the "no property, get over it crybabies" threads, it seems to me that property ownership and real estate simulation (legal and illegal) should be a big part of GTAV. It is extremely contemporary and it is at the heart of the latest wave of greed and disfunctional economics in the US and in the world. Why wouldn't they make this theme more interactive and integrated, instead of just including it in some missions?

GTA36362355

The new game, set in a fictionalized Los Angeles called Los Santos, tackles the aftermath of the credit crunch and the housing crisis for three criminals, each of whom is playable.

A guess or info?

GTA_77a

Amazing this explains alot their not anti social they just are devoted to perfection they can't let anything distract them

donnie_danko

So it's cool for him to make a whole game based on the look and feel of Scarface but Breaking Bad is just "rubbish American TV"?

I hope Dan enjoys Doctor Who and whatever other "over sensationalized" television programs other countries are pumping out. tounge.gif

Great interview though...

BullworthAcademy

Play as the protagonist and antagonist? wow.gif

Aborted_Fetus

icon14.gif

It makes no sense to say that modern day crime shows are average compared to seinfeld. It would be relevant to say they are average compared to older crime shows.

Saying Seinfeld is better than Breaking Bad is like saying your mom is better than ice cream.

Your mom IS better than ice cream. Ahaha.

florisinfernus

icon14.gif

Your mom IS better than ice cream. Ahaha.

Lol, I meant his mom, not mine.

LotusRIP

So it's cool for him to make a whole game based on the look and feel of Scarface but Breaking Bad is just "rubbish American TV"?

I hope Dan enjoys Doctor Who and whatever other "over sensationalized" television programs other countries are pumping out. tounge.gif

Shows like The IT Crowd, that America had to attempt to make their own "US Version" of, which ended up a flop.

Shows like Kath & Kim, which America also had to attempt to do their own spin on, was a flop.

Shows like Wilfred, America had to make their own version of it with a different cast, relatively successful but going American is like selling out.

Shows like The Office, which was also better in it's original UK version.

The list goes on... America needs to stick to their watered down Glee sh*t, McDonalds, and shooting each other. Stop stealing other peoples ideas. I do admit though, their strengths are definitely in movie making - but certainly not TV. By the way, playing the American card is perfectly fine, what do you think Grand Theft Auto is??? lol... it's a satire of American culture.

Edited by LotusRIP

JuventusFC

Shows like The IT Crowd, that America had to attempt to make their own "US Version" of, which ended up a flop.

Shows like Kath & Kim, which America also had to attempt to do their own spin on, was a flop.

Shows like Wilfred, America had to make their own version of it with a different cast, relatively successful but going American is like selling out.

Shows like The Office, which was also better in it's original UK version.

The list goes on... America needs to stick to their watered down Glee sh*t, McDonalds, and shooting each other. Stop stealing other peoples ideas. I do admit though, their strengths are definitely in movie making - but certainly not TV. By the way, playing the American card is perfectly fine, what do you think Grand Theft Auto is??? lol... it's a satire of American culture.

And it's not American either! biggrin.gif

LotusRIP

No hard feelings guys, but I'm just sick to death of people bringing up "Breaking Bad" around here. It's overhyped and obviously not an influence on V in any way. It's possible to draw parallels to its storyline, but just like anything really... like maybe Franklin's background is inspired from the TV show "Operation Repo", or maybe Trevor's crazy character is inspired by the average gun-wielding American lol.gif

donconjo

I have watched 1 or 2 soprano episodes, maybe some ideas came from there, older guy with kids, Big house, spending wife, FIB protection program etc

NonRetard

It's always neat to be reminded that the Houser brothers and their Rockstar contingency are first and foremost video game fans themselves.

Triple Vacuum Seal

Very insightful interview. When someone consistently make a product as good as the Grand Theft Auto series, it's hard for me to question their methods. However, I'm surprised he hasn't seen neither Breaking Bad, The Wire, nor much of The Sopranos as someone who creates crime fiction. I don't see how it is different from when he takes gameplay influences from Zelda and Super Mario.

I respect the style though. Keeping his creativity unique.

loony979

Was a great read ,thank you for sharing it ,By Dan not watching certain TV Shows ,goes to show his dedication to the company & for him as well ,As a writer (DAN not me) he would always need to be in focus of the game ,as he said ..

i like that in him ,shows commitment ...

be good to read more interviews on what new info they can talk about. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

R.F.

amazing article, i love the Housers so much!

gtafanny

there're no questions about the Epsilon Program? tounge.gif

MosquitoSmasher

Very nice interview. From what i gather here is that they actually remove bugs, add stuff, change stuff etc...simultaneously, cool!

jogy

Nice interview!

Zip87

user posted image

Mister Pink

I haven’t seen “Treme.” I never even saw “The Wire.” One of my weird disciplines is that I don’t really watch a lot of those shows, if they relate to what we do. I only watched a tiny bit of “The Sopranos.” No “Boardwalk Empire.” No “Breaking Bad.” Wherever it’s too close to crime, gangster, underbelly fiction, and it’s supercontemporary, I decided, for professional reasons, I have to avoid it...

This worries me. Although, I hope he has good reasons. But...if only he watched them....

deli2000

Wait what? I'm British and I think Breaking Bad is one the best shows ever made. Have you ever watched it? You really should.

CookPassBabtridge
I haven’t seen “Treme.” I never even saw “The Wire.” One of my weird disciplines is that I don’t really watch a lot of those shows, if they relate to what we do. I only watched a tiny bit of “The Sopranos.” No “Boardwalk Empire.” No “Breaking Bad.” Wherever it’s too close to crime, gangster, underbelly fiction, and it’s supercontemporary, I decided, for professional reasons, I have to avoid it...

This worries me. Although, I hope he has good reasons. But...if only he watched them....

If one Houser hasnt seen some of those shows Im sure the other one has. Every GTA uses *cough* reference...

One thing I find odd sometimes is their whole commentary on the recession etc. They were rich kids who got even richer, so they will never experience it or have to worry. Plus although we love GTA, its one of the most batsh*t crazy game out there and it just seems a bit pointless trying to force it as something else. It's a bit like when they send news reporters into a winter blizzard when we can just look out the fkn window...