3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Liberty City Appreciation Thread

MiamiViceCity1986

I think you better 100% your current save. You are too far on the story to start all over, and it is hard as hell to 100% this game. At least for me. Too much goofing around and driving. No time for 100%.

You should start again after 100% this save. Dont throw all of your current progress away.

Gah, I really want to finish my current playthrough so that I can start my new realistic playthrough but I am stuck on the mission "Catch the Wave".

ALL HAIL PHIL BELL.

Edit: Okay, I just passed the mission. I'll start a new realistic playthrough after completing my current save. I'm thinking of going for 100% myself. Should I start a fresh new save for that or continue on after I finish my current save?

I'd say continue your current save. Also, if you have the Complete Edition, doing the story chronologically will help you get involved in the story a lot more deeper than doing split playthroughs.

76561198117212477.png

X4 760K 4 GHZ // 8GB DDR3-1600 // RX 460

Lenovo Y520 - i5 7300HQ // 8GB DDR4-2400 // GTX 1050

Well I just completed the game. Damn, this has to be one of the greatest games ever made. The ending was superb and now I have a satisfied feeling inside me. It was depressing but the ending was an ending and it was a really good one too. I was struggling on the last mission (took the Revenge choice) so I finished it only with a slither of health.

After the hit, I was on happiness island and it was raining at night, perfect weather. Went and ate a hotdog to get back my health and looked at the glorious Algonquin skyline. An amazing experience and I am really looking forward to my new realistic playthrough.

10/10 definitely. It has it's flaws but the sheer amount of detail that has gone into this game is absolutely stunning.

Edited by Vercetti42
  • Like 5

Well I just completed the game. Damn, this has to be one of the greatest games ever made. The ending was superb and now I have a satisfied feeling inside me. It was depressing but the ending was an ending and it was a really good one too. I was struggling on the last mission (took the Revenge choice) so I finished it only with a slither of health.

After the hit, I was on happiness island and it was raining at night, perfect weather. Went and ate a hotdog to get back my health and looked at the glorious Algonquin skyline. An amazing experience and I am really looking forward to my new realistic playthrough.

10/10 definitely. It has it's flaws but the sheer amount of detail that has gone into this game is absolutely stunning.

Yep, rockstar made this game with all their love, unlike V, where they just sat on their ass doing lines and drinking pisswaser.

• Like 1

Yep, rockstar made this game with all their love, unlike V, where they just sat on their ass doing lines and drinking pisswaser.

Your member title sure fits you.

• Like 1

Your member title sure fits you.Thanks bro.

You just finished it (for the first time) ?

After i finished GTA V, i didn't want to play it all again. But IV is a whole different story! Try it again, this time with other decisions, and the 'Deal-Ending', which is even better in my opinion. Are you playing on PC, 360 or PS3?

Since i 100%ed IV, i may as well 100% the episodes, too. I'm starting with TLAD, and right now i'm doing the gang wars. They are f*cking insane! Exactly why i say IV's shootouts are best in the series. Right now i'm on 23/50, but damn they are action packed. When the enemy are 'cruising', those make for the craziest shootouts. I never played up until 25 before, usually i would stop around 5 or something because i thought it would be like TBoGT's drug wars. It's not in the slightest. Drug wars are extremely repetitive and don't get too hard as you go along, whereas TLAD's gang wars always get more and more insane and unpredictable things can happen every time. They also start to get a lot more difficult than TBoGT's drug wars would ever be. I should have done these so much earlier, they might just be the most fun IV side-job in the trilogy.

• Like 2

The first time I played IV I remember trying to find Marco's Bistro until I realised that it's missing. :p

I also saw in the list of the achievments that there was one called "Liberty City Minute". And when I saw what you had to do to get that achievment I said to myself that there was no way I could get it. And guess what? I got it. I was so happy I wanted to scream.

It was the first time I passed the game with no cheats.

Edited by pajkosinjoSRB
  • Like 2
fMNTnvL.png

You just finished it (for the first time) ?

Yep. I had a playthrough before this but I never got around to finishing it. And before that I had played EFLC for a week or so at my cousin's house. (Never got around to playing their stories though).

Since i 100%ed IV, i may as well 100% the episodes, too. I'm starting with TLAD, and right now i'm doing the gang wars. They are f*cking insane! Exactly why i say IV's shootouts are best in the series. Right now i'm on 23/50, but damn they are action packed. When the enemy are 'cruising', those make for the craziest shootouts. I never played up until 25 before, usually i would stop around 5 or something because i thought it would be like TBoGT's drug wars. It's not in the slightest. Drug wars are extremely repetitive and don't get too hard as you go along, whereas TLAD's gang wars always get more and more insane and unpredictable things can happen every time. They also start to get a lot more difficult than TBoGT's drug wars would ever be. I should have done these so much earlier, they might just be the most fun IV side-job in the trilogy.

I agree. Those Gang Wars in TLaD are pretty insane. I did all 50 in a day, but I could of killed someone literally after I got done with them. I tried to get the Gang War to spawn where you just follow vehicles and destroy them to finish the Gang War. Some of the shootouts where endless backup keeps coming made me literally abandon the Gang War and go to an Ammunation to get more armor, it was insane. The guys I took with me to the Gang Wars usually always died within the first 2 minutes, and I'd be all alone demolishing like 40 guys myself. Those were actually really f*cking hard for me, one of the hardest things in the entire HD Era of IV/TLaD/TBoGT/V combined...

Yep. I had a playthrough before this but I never got around to finishing it. And before that I had played EFLC for a week or so at my cousin's house. (Never got around to playing their stories though).

LCS owns. VCS is good, too, but wasn't of my liking all that much. Still prefer any 3D to HD game, though...

• Like 2

I agree. Those Gang Wars in TLaD are pretty insane. I did all 50 in a day, but I could of killed someone literally after I got done with them. I tried to get the Gang War to spawn where you just follow vehicles and destroy them to finish the Gang War. Some of the shootouts where endless backup keeps coming made me literally abandon the Gang War and go to an Ammunation to get more armor, it was insane. The guys I took with me to the Gang Wars usually always died within the first 2 minutes, and I'd be all alone demolishing like 40 guys myself. Those were actually really f*cking hard for me, one of the hardest things in the entire HD Era of IV/TLaD/TBoGT/V combined...

Haha, i'm on 36 right now and it's completely insane now. I can only imagine how the 50th will be. As i said before, my favorite is when the enemy are cruising, but now that i've done 10+ more of these, the cruising ones are getting pretty hard. Every time a shoot the first bullet, i get a 1-2 star wanted level, which usually evolves into a 3 star wanted level. Police choppers, multiple waves of enemies, my backup dying 30 seconds in - these gang wars are getting really effing tough haha. Let alone the fact i play on free-aim. I still love them, though, they're exactly why i love shootouts in the IV era. I wish free-aim showed health/armor though, like it does in the IVMP.

If you do 100 Gang Wars, you'll get more weapons in your safehouse. I only did 50, though. In TBoGT, I got all weapons at safehouse cuz I did 100 Drug Wars. There is no way I'd want to do another 50 Gang Wars after the first 50, lol...

I never used Free Aim, only to shoot pigeons. I think in IV/TLaD/TBoGT PC Versions when you shoot the enemy it shows how much health/armor they have.

Actually, depending on the location of the icon for the Gang War that you go to, you can get some easier Gang Wars. Not all of them are that hard. Like I said above, I tried to get the Gang War to spawn that had me and my guys chasing some vehicles and all I had to do was destroy the vehicles and kill the guys in the vehicles and I finished the Gang War. Also what sucks, is after I finished each, I would HAVE to save the game. As I don't do Deaths/Busted/Cheats, etc...So I didn't want to waste time doing 1 and passing it, then dying on the next, thus, re-doing 2 instead of 1, it was really annoying, but I got to 100% in 3 days. Not consecutive of course, I probably got to 100% in literally 15-20 hours...But split it up into a few days, lol...

You stop getting new weapons after you reach 50 gang/drug wars. After that, you just get money.

Oh...Is it 25 Gang Wars for 100% and then 50 for the guns? My bad, I thought it was 50 Gang Wars for 100%, and 100 for the guns. I forget, didn't do TLaD since March and did it within 3 quick days of playing it and haven't played it since, just like TBoGT, too. Both games or DLC's if you will, go very, very quickly...

are-these-real-photos-or-gta-iv-screensh

Sometimes this game's level of detail and realism makes it feel like it's almost real life. I don't know what it is about the city that makes it so unique. Maybe it's the fat bikers, the homeless reptilian guys, or just those funny vendors. Liberty city is just full of new surprises around each corner. Every street in the game feels completely different from each other, the terrain, cracks in the pavement, pedestrians, cars, just everything. Someone posted this earlier in the thread, but there is more than one laundromat in the game! Not in six years did I ever know that!

There's just something about this city that isn't there in any other game for me.

• Like 6

After being in Los Santos for a few weeks, I wonder how it'll feel when I return to Liberty City.

Home sweet home.;)

• Like 4

GTA Vice City Signature+Avatar Combo Request | PlayStation Universe

After being in Los Santos for a few weeks, I wonder how it'll feel when I return to Liberty City.

Home sweet home.;)

Least LC ain't squeaker country.

• Like 1

Home sweet home.;)"..at least it was before i f*cked everything up"

Bit of a story behind these two...

I was engaged in an insanely prolonged shootout with the cops at 4 or 5 stars. Finally made my way to the helicopter tour helipads. Grabbed a heli and escaped, then continued to fly around LC as I watched the pink sunrise in cockpit view.

Landed on the GetaLife building. Took this pic.

(No ENBs used in either of these, just some touching up/color and brightness adjustments)

Gbd6Cs0.jpg

Took in the atmosphere for a bit. Got back into the air soon after and returned the helicopter I borrowed to the tour place. Walked around a bit and enjoyed the early morning mood. Took this pic.

Vn48pPx.jpg

Went home with a cab soon after, slept, saved and exited the game to post this here.

Sounds like a regular old story, but It keeps amazing me how this flow of violence and intense shootouts/car chases can suddenly stop and turn into a beautiful tour of an authentic, expertly realized city. Only Grand Theft Auto has EVER been able to pull this off. It's incredible. Not just IV, but V as well, and the older games too.

I know a lot of people here aren't as thrilled by V by myself or some others, but I personally cannot wait to get into LS with the PC version and experience a story like the one I just told. It's not just down to one game, but to all of them. This amazing flow of going from the most violent of activities, to the most tranquil and relaxing. No other game has ever been able to pull this off, and that speaks to how powerful GTA is as a series.

No matter how much GTA changes from here on out, I'm confident that it will remain the best at what it does, and what it does was not even challenged effectively in the 13 years (not counting the 2D era due to the 3D open world factor) that this fascinating series has existed.

That, my friends, is a gargantuan accomplishment that tends to go somewhat unnoticed.

Sorry if I got a bit off topic. The beauty of that second screenshot just overtook me for a moment, there.

Edited by Xerukal
  • Like 9

are-these-real-photos-or-gta-iv-screensh

Sometimes this game's level of detail and realism makes it feel like it's almost real life. I don't know what it is about the city that makes it so unique. Maybe it's the fat bikers, the homeless reptilian guys, or just those funny vendors. Liberty city is just full of new surprises around each corner. Every street in the game feels completely different from each other, the terrain, cracks in the pavement, pedestrians, cars, just everything. Someone posted this earlier in the thread, but there is more than one laundromat in the game! Not in six years did I ever know that!

There's just something about this city that isn't there in any other game for me.

It feels alive. Liberty City in IV is almost like its own character. It doesnt have that fake facade feel of V

Last Saturday night I decided to visit LC again, so I put my EFLC disk in the PS3 and chose Luis to drive with an F620 through the streets of the city. Meanwhile I heard some music from my PC. It was around 22:00 in-game time when I started my trip north at the beginning of the Union Drive West. It was around 20:00 next day when I arrived at the southern end of the Burlesque Street in Star Junction. I drove through all districts of LC, with traffic speed and obeying the rules, stopping at red lights. It was awesome. I didn't hear the ambiance of the environment but I didn't need to. To see the places and to listen to the music was enough for me to fall in love with the city again, atleast for 40 minutes, that's how long I took for this trip.

The first song I was listening to:

Truly fitting, best song for a LC night drive IMO.

Them Los Santos residents (GTA V fanboys) wouldn't know what a headbutt (uh, I mean a Bohan Kiss) was until they come to Liberty City and experience it ;)

Edited by Snake Plissken
  • Like 2

Liberty City is perfect for just folding into some make believe.

I stole a car down by Higgins Helitours (and now I wish I'd stole the Chopper) and went on a slow cruise through Chinatown.

came on my custom soundtracks so I decided to head over Broker. Took the Broker Bridge under the arches, into the shadows during sunset and then under the bridge lights when night finally fell. The song was perfect. "That big wheel spins, the hairpins, people forget, forget they're hiding..." with the Firefly Island dipper in the background, a community of pissed off Russians underneath me looking for Niko's head on a stick. By the end of the song I burst into Perestroika and opened up with the AK.

Good times, hopefully many more.

• Like 2