2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Miamivicecity

The Liberty City Appreciation Thread

Watain

Dammit, this thread raised my hopes for a Liberty City DLC once more... It will probably never happen. Instead R* gave us, like, 8 or 9 sh*tty and useless mountains which essentially just take up map space. LC was a city map designed for a great gaming experience. Whatever they tried to accomplish with GTA V is beyond me. It's definitely a "quantity over quality" kind of map in my opinion.

#bringbackLC

Miamivicecity

Dammit, this thread raised my hopes for a Liberty City DLC once more... It will probably never happen. Instead R* gave us, like, 8 or 9 sh*tty and useless mountains which essentially just take up map space. LC was a city map designed for a great gaming experience. Whatever they tried to accomplish with GTA V is beyond me. It's definitely a "quantity over quality" kind of map in my opinion.

#bringbackLC

I really don't want Liberty City's immaculate, work of artistry associated with GTA V/GTAO. That's why I keep praying the rumours of it becoming a map in GTAO stay exactly that. Rumours.

Imagine f*cktards flying around on that stupid flying bike, the other Saints Row bullsh*t like features etc around Liberty City's landmarks? Thinking about it makes me throw up a little.

Da Vinci didn't ruin his art by outsourcing it to lesser minds. Liberty City should be protected and preserved in GTA IV/EFLC.

Mr_Rager

I'd need to take a rape shower immediately afterwards if they added LC to GTA Online.

Watain

#bringbackLC

I really don't want Liberty City's immaculate, work of artistry associated with GTA V/GTAO. That's why I keep praying the rumours of it becoming a map in GTAO stay exactly that. Rumours.

Imagine f*cktards flying around on that stupid flying bike, the other Saints Row bullsh*t like features etc around Liberty City's landmarks? Thinking about it makes me throw up a little.

Da Vinci didn't ruin his art by outsourcing it to lesser minds. Liberty City should be protected and preserved in GTA IV/EFLC.

You make a good point, however, I still want R* to incorporate LC into GTAO. I'm kind of misanthropic and mostly play in invite sessions either alone or with friends, so I don't really have to deal with any random players/griefers and their toys anyway. I could still find joy and bliss in being back in LC once again.

I played GTA IV and TLaD at least 20 times each back before the days of GTAO. I played alone and just enjoyed the city. I'd have no problem doing that again, except I'd have my personally customized character and all my gear to play with instead.

Miamivicecity

Fair enough.:)

Personally I'd be gut wrenched if they put it in GTAO rather than give GTA IV/EFLC a remaster.

B Dawg

You make a good point, however, I still want R* to incorporate LC into GTAO. I'm kind of misanthropic and mostly play in invite sessions either alone or with friends, so I don't really have to deal with any random players/griefers and their toys anyway. I could still find joy and bliss in being back in LC once again.

I played GTA IV and TLaD at least 20 times each back before the days of GTAO. I played alone and just enjoyed the city. I'd have no problem doing that again, except I'd have my personally customized character and all my gear to play with instead.

Or, you could just play the superior IV/TLAD multiplayer instead :p The two games that are actually fun/balanced to play publicly, and even more fun when customized with mods!

Edited by B Dawg

Miamivicecity

Just as a side note B Dawg, but how long did it take for you to wrote out that wall of text explaining why GTA V is a bad game in your profile?

It looks pretty epic. :p

B Dawg

I don't know, didn't really count time. In total about an hour.

Edited by B Dawg

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Not gonna lie though, I really would like to ride around LC in my Bestia with a penthouse view of Rotterdam Tower.

Edited by Scaglietti

Mr_Rager

If I saw the ugly wared piece of metal Feltzer in Liberty City I'd projectile vomit for three hours straight. Or if I saw 12 year old kids sliding around the map in first person.

Failure

Emmi

liberty_city_painting_2_by_fatlittlenick

gunziness
Posted (edited)

Look how good it looks! it creates a complete different atmosphere. It even made me want to restart the whole story just to try it out this way, but I will wait and start another one right after im done with the Niko's story and the episodes.

Edited by gunziness

SmokesWithCigs

^^ would've been a cool feature if the game had seasons. its starts off late summer i'd say mid august for the first missions strand till i'd say just a little bit before you kill faustin. then the fall sets in the color of the trees change and leaves cover side walks the weather changes and you can see fog and characters and npc's breath as a result of the cold. then when you start working for ray buccino winter sets in and we get snow fall. by the time you start working for the old ailing mafia don in the hospital is when spring sets in and the snow starts to melt.

SmokesWithCigs

I like that some parts of the map feel familiar the gta III. since its the first game in the hi def series and they brought it back to liberty city it makes sense. when I drive around firefly projects it reminds me of the projects in the Portland area. there are back halways in the subway stations with poster and advertisments of cars etc and gta 3 has the same thing the church in suffolk is the is the same churck from III where the hidden package is or rampage is and certain parts remind me of Donald loves area etc.

flgta
Posted (edited)

I just played 4 recently and forgot how much I love it. It reminds me so much of lll so much and San Andreas (because of the trains). Then Gay Tony reminds me a little of Vice City, also how it still had similar driving and platform from 4. I'll have to say that I forget about 5 with 4 and Gay Tony, but 5 kind of also has that nostalgia factor how all games lead up to 5. Only things I really like from that are the missions are more fun than the gameplay, some of the music and the scenery is amazing. After driving in 4, I really get an appreciation for driving in 4 and Gay Tony rather than the improved physics in 5. 

Edited by flgta
add

B Dawg

Don't you mean downgraded physics in 5? 😛

Hmmm nice bike

I think they could have fine-tuned the driving in IV to make it a little less boat-like, but otherwise I liked that it actually took some level of skill to drive and handle cars properly in the game. V's feels too arcadey and too much like driving in GTA III. I liked how vehicles in IV actually had weight to them as well. A massive truck couldn't get pushed around by squad cars, but in V they'll ram you off the road even if you're driving a dump truck.

Miamivicecity

I took my first stroll around Algonquin in lord knows how long. Sometimes it's nice to take a step back and soak up everything, but I think saxophone guy was stalking me.

Once in Star Junction, another in Purgatory and finally in Little Italy lol. He's cool though. His jazz just adds to the ambience and atmosphere.

Utopianthumbs

Liberty City in general is a great place to take a nice walk around. There are various streets and side streets to be discovered and the fact that almost all of them are named gives them authenticity, it feels like each neighbourhood has its own personality with different types of people and having its own secrets that you can't observe by just driving speedily

Also the ambience. While walking you hear car horns honking blocks away, people chirping on their phones, muffled conversations which adds to the experience . Even stuff like garbage strewn on the road and steam seeping from manholes makes LC feel like an authentic city and all these details make it one of the better locations for taking a nice stroll

Miamivicecity
11 hours ago, Utopianthumbs said:

Liberty City in general is a great place to take a nice walk around. There are various streets and side streets to be discovered and the fact that almost all of them are named gives them authenticity, it feels like each neighbourhood has its own personality with different types of people and having its own secrets that you can't observe by just driving speedily

Also the ambience. While walking you hear car horns honking blocks away, people chirping on their phones, muffled conversations which adds to the experience . Even stuff like garbage strewn on the road and steam seeping from manholes makes LC feel like an authentic city and all these details make it one of the better locations for taking a nice stroll

One thing I've never understood is when people say everywhere looks the same. I guess you have to actually appreciate the city, but every borough from Broker to Dukes to Bohan to Algonquin to Alderney and their respective neighbourhoods is painstakingly meticulously detailed to be varied from eachother. I still have my "The Art of GTA IV" book I got when I got the special edition in 2008 and for about 3 or 4 pages Aaron Garbut (R*'s head art director) talks about the process in which they went about designing the city. It's really interesting.☺️

Even after 10 years I'm still amazed by the level of detail they put into it right down to insects flying around garbage bins. 

Hmmm nice bike
1 hour ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

One thing I've never understood is when people say everywhere looks the same.

Do people say this? If they have, then they've obviously never played Saints Row 3 or 4 because Steelport is pretty much copy and pasted about every 3 buildings.

Miamivicecity
15 minutes ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Do people say this? If they have, then they've obviously never played Saints Row 3 or 4 because Steelport is pretty much copy and pasted about every 3 buildings.

Unfortunately yes. Well it's their loss I suppose. "Variety" can come in many forms besides having some countryside or whatever. Liberty City is one of the most varied cities I've ever seen in a video game.

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Unfortunately yes. Well it's their loss I suppose. "Variety" can come in many forms besides having some countryside or whatever. Liberty City is one of the most varied cities I've ever seen in a video game.

Liberty City and Stilwater of Saints Row 1 and 2 are what I'd both call the most varied cities in open world gaming. I think both had the benefit of having teams who actually cared about what they were working on and wanted to ensure that every neighborhood felt different from each other in some way. Los Santos had too many areas that I found to be dull, lifeless and generally feeling kind of same-y throughout. Of course, some might blame this on it being based on Los Angeles, but I think they could have managed to make it feel different.

Los Santos, by the way, feels almost nothing like LA most of the time. LC has areas that actually remind me of New York in real life, but as someone who's traveled to Los Angeles numerous times, LS hardly reminds me of the real thing. It's far too densely packed and feels too cramped. Case in point: Michael's house and his entire wealthy suburban area is right next to high rises. It feels more like the cities in Texas that lack proper zoning laws, lol.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Miamivicecity

I didn't mind Stilwater at all. Particularly the SR2 rendition since it had a lot of cool secret areas/interiors. Steeleport was wank though to the point it was trying REALLY hard to rip off GTA IV's Liberty City when you look at its map.

Personally what I love about Liberty City is it includes the majority of NYC's major boroughs instead of just Manhattan. I've always been interested in NYC, but since I've never been there GTA IV is basically a virtual tourist guide to me lol. Everytime I've watched CSI: NY I always think of GTA IV when it pans to different locations.

Utopianthumbs
4 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

One thing I've never understood is when people say everywhere looks the same. I guess you have to actually appreciate the city, but every borough from Broker to Dukes to Bohan to Algonquin to Alderney and their respective neighbourhoods is painstakingly meticulously detailed to be varied from eachother. I still have my "The Art of GTA IV" book I got when I got the special edition in 2008 and for about 3 or 4 pages Aaron Garbut (R*'s head art director) talks about the process in which they went about designing the city. It's really interesting.☺️

Even after 10 years I'm still amazed by the level of detail they put into it right down to insects flying around garbage bins. 

Yeah I guess when people just speed around the city they tend to miss the finer details and so LC undeservedly gets the "feels samey" tag. LC may not have a countryside and such but there's a distinct difference between Algonquin and Broker and yet both retain that LC feel. Also the ped diversity in the various boroughs of LC is great, it feels like each borough has its own flavour. I guess we kinda take it for granted now but I remember when I first played IV I was amazed that you rarely saw the same kind of peds in the same place like in the 3d era. It's clear a lot of work was put into LC and I think both LC and LS are technical marvels in their own right. 

Hmmm nice bike
2 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I didn't mind Stilwater at all. Particularly the SR2 rendition since it had a lot of cool secret areas/interiors. Steeleport was wank though to the point it was trying REALLY hard to rip off GTA IV's Liberty City when you look at its map. 

Personally what I love about Liberty City is it includes the majority of NYC's major boroughs instead of just Manhattan. I've always been interested in NYC, but since I've never been there GTA IV is basically a virtual tourist guide to me lol. Everytime I've watched CSI: NY I always think of GTA IV when it pans to different locations.

Steelport was just all-around weird. The map design and colors were obviously ripped off of GTA IV instead of the satellite view that the previous two games used (which was way nicer looking and unique to Saints Row 1 and 2), but then the city itself was basically Pittsburgh (the layout of the city was basically Pittsburgh but flipped on its side, and the airport terminal is exactly based on Pittsburgh Airport's main terminal) with about 3 Burj Khalifas and then Chicago's streetlights. Stilwater felt like it was based on multiple cities (with a map layout and downtown area similar to Minneapolis), but it was much more cohesive and less awful.

I also liked how LC included other areas instead of just Manhattan, although I still think their biggest mistake with the map was not including Staten Island. I don't care if it's considered the boring or uncool part of the city according to Sam Houser, there was no reason to chop it off completely and given how it actually has some open areas and a lot of parklands, it could have satisfied people's want for something resembling countryside. I've been to New York a few times, and they overall did a good job with the map (although some stuff still strikes me as weird, mainly the fact that the bridge to Alderney is just some tiny little 4 lane road bridge instead of the George Washington Bridge, Alderney should have been placed further out from LC and there should have been a longer bridge)

Emmi
Posted (edited)

JCSSab.gif

0syseo.gif

HKYJs6.gif

QtDYsF.gif

Edited by Emmi

GiveMeLiberty78
Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2018 at 1:44 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

Yes, I am reading "The Art of GTAIV" and it's wonderful to read and to gawp at the attention to detail. I think it also helps to keep in perspective some flaws - it's a massive task to build and to texture a believable city, enough to turn hairs grey I'm sure! Attention to detail which, by the way, I know was also present in GTAV's development. But I have realized recently that about 8 years ago in my first play through (very little story progression actually), I used to find GTAIV bland, boring, washed out, a bit repetitive visually and also a nightmare to install! Now I think I'm more open-minded and realize that actually there are a lot of small and large details throughout Liberty City. Again, present in GTA5's many regions too, but Liberty City feels more packed and holds my interest more - maybe that's because I've beaten GTAV, or because I've actually always lived out near the countryside in the real world, or simply because I want to justify losing two days of my life to installing GTAIV (worth it with hindsight). Also worth mentioning that without the simple/natural ENB and SweetFX I'd probably not play GTAIV - for me, the vanilla version is just too dull and unremarkable, it doesn't do justice to the size and detail of the city.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:42 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

Also agree that some of that content would not fit Liberty City's feel/atmosphere or the original storyline, but I think some of them make sense in the west-coast/ambitious/aspirational setting. Liberty City has an eccentric feel to it but yeah, flying bikes and the like wouldn't seem appropriate to me - that might be more unrealistic than eccentric. Similar point but slight deviation: I thought GTAIV did not feature motorcycles and mopeds, so I was pleasantly surprised when one flew past me somewhere between Dukes and Hove Beach.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:49 AM, Mr_Rager said:

I'd need to take a rape shower immediately afterwards if they added LC to GTA Online.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, haha! Then again, if I started seeing billboards advertising Shark Cards instead of 24 chiropractor qualifications, then that would begin to feel like a major shafting requiring some anal attention! I haven't tried GTAO very much and that was because I was so overwhelmed by choices of games and activities - I felt like I was learning another game, kinda good though because on balance, the GTA5 updates do give you quite a lot of new multiplayer content (and single player content* with the help of trainers).

*Too bad we won't get single player storyline DLC though. That does feel like a bit of a shafting!

Edited by manana500