4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Oakshaft

What is the west?

OysterBarron

It's funny someone brought this up on here as it was something that popped into my head the other day .... searches for are we all telepathically linked topic .... I wanted to know why the west was called the west when in actual fact they are also to the east, Also why do they call the middle east the middle east? im in the middle of the east side of my country so am i not in the middle east? don't get me started on the north south divide i'm already confused!

coin-god
In my opnion Western countries are thouse who have had or still have an important amount of European inmigration and culture. With that in mind, practically the whole American continent feets in that category (With the exception of some Latin American countries with a strong Native American mixture). Aswell as Oceania.

Doc Rikowski

After reading that the EU just won the Peace Nobel Prize I'd say that there's one thing that clearly defines the West: hypocrisy.

Suddenly they forgot a bunch of wars they were involved in the past 60 years... Disgusting... barf8bd.gif

sivispacem
After reading that the EU just won the Peace Nobel Prize I'd say that there's one thing that clearly defines the West: hypocrisy.

Suddenly they forgot a bunch of wars they were involved in the past 60 years... Disgusting... barf8bd.gif

Wait, so it's ironic for the EU to win the Nobel Peace Prize as a body despite the fact that most of its members have not been involved in any kind of unsanctioned military operation, either together or as part of NATO, and in actual fact have gone great lengths to promote peace, democracy and security abroad, yet you don't criticize the awarding of the peace prize to Yassir Arafat, who single-handedly derailed the prospect of a two-state solution between Palestine and Israel?

Mike Tequeli

I suppose you could be critical in the sense that it is essentially westerners patting themselves on the back for being peaceful in a post-imperialist society, which probably isn't too difficult. Meanwhile it has always been the West that made war on virtually every part of the planet. Of course I really do think the EU is a force for peace, as economic interdependence is very important for fostering peace. The peace prize has always been the lamest of the Nobel awards though, considering the people who receive it.

I mean how responsible for the Second Intifada is Yasser Arafat? It certainly makes him seem like a terrorist.

sivispacem

Meanwhile it has always been the West that made war on virtually every part of the planet.

True, but not since the foundation of the EU. I think, even if you looked at it critically, you'd struggle to find a single international bloc which has had anything like the positive impact of the EU over the last 50 years. I'm certainly struggling to think of one that even comes close.

I mean how responsible for the Second Intifada is Yasser Arafat? It certainly makes him seem like a terrorist.

Extremely, but the peace prize came before the Second Intifada. It was his movement that sponsored the Black September attacks on the Israeli athletes at Munich, his movement that effectively initiated the Lod Airport Massacre, the Rome and Vienna attacks, and it was his political assistance and collaboration with Abu Nidal which turned him into the monstrous freelance terrorist whose organisation killed at least a thousand people. How can a man who is directly responsible for the deaths of at least 1500 people receive a peace prize? In the case of Munich, Rome and Vienna, he may as well have pulled the trigger himself.

Even Hamas was a monster of his making- by refusing to deal with the oil-producing Arab nations who opposed Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait (which he supported) and by employing the Abu Nidal Organisation to kill moderate dissenters in his party, he isolated pretty much the entire moderate Arab world against him personally and they instead funded Hamas, who turned out to be just as bad, especially given that they're Islamists.

Edited by sivispacem

golf wang

The "West" is the United States, Canada, Europe, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore. Latin America is geographically in the West however every country in Latin America is still considered "developing".

sivispacem

Forgive me for being pedantic, but have you not just selectively described part of the Northern hemisphere? I find it odd that, geographically speaking, Asia, Canada and Europe can by simultaneously Western? Or am I being thick?

Edited by sivispacem

Viperman

Edit: Nevermind, missed some crucially important words while reading a post, which I was replying too.

Edited by Viperman

Leftcoast
Forgive me for being pedantic, but have you not just selectively described part of the Northern hemisphere? I find it odd that, geographically speaking, Asia, Canada and Europe can by simultaneously Western? Or am I being thick?

I believe you are correct.

It is rather funny since it seems like people are referring to "Western" ideas/philosophies/ect which have now, arguably, spread across much of the world. We could certainly add Australia and South America to this list, with certain logic, and conclude the whole world minus a few small areas to be "the West".

El Dildo

ok let's be realistic.

the "West" is not geographic.

it's cultural.