2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Fallout 4

Ciaran

So I started a new playthrough on PC, and I have a really annoying issue that I hope someone can shed some light on. 

Can someone tell me how the hell to fix this:

Untitled.png

I'm sure you know what I mean, but just in case, please notice the bizarre pixelated pattern around the outside of the gun and scope. 

What the hell is that? It happened yesterday and I restarted the game and it went away, today It happened again but it came back when I restarted.  

Anyone had this before? 

SIG-2.jpg

On 2/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, LittleBlueTroll said:

Can someone tell me how the hell to fix this:

Not sure if this is the correct answer but this guy on Reddit had the same issue. 

Reddit

Edited by Mister Pink

You can also get some weird artefacts like that from using ENB without turning off clashing values like AA in the game settings.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

20 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

Not sure if this is the correct answer but this guy on Reddit had the same issue. 

Thankyou 🤙 Luckily, I haven't had it happen again since that post. If it returns, I will follow up on this.

Really enjoying this again. I never took to Fallout 4 anywhere near as much as Fallout 3, but this time around I'm loving it. 

I originally played it on release, and looking back I didn't give it the play time it deserved. I was with my girlfriend at the time so balancing seeing her, working and trying to dig in to Fallout 4 was a cramped schedule. Now I'm single and in lockdown, so I can explore and investigate everything 😆

Last time around I basically sped through the main quests and missed everything else. This time I'm about 25 hours in and only just rescued Nick Valentine. Add the DLC's to the mix which I never played, and I have something to keep me occupied after finishing Cyberpunk and abandoning TES Skyrim. 

Just a quick note to end on: Mirelurk Queen's are terrifying. 

• Like 1

SIG-2.jpg

21 minutes ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

Really enjoying this again. I never took to Fallout 4 anywhere near as much as Fallout 3, but this time around I'm loving it. 

I originally played it on release, and looking back I didn't give it the play time it deserved. I was with my girlfriend at the time so balancing seeing her, working and trying to dig in to Fallout 4 was a cramped schedule. Now I'm single and in lockdown, so I can explore and investigate everything 😆

Last time around I basically sped through the main quests and missed everything else. This time I'm about 25 hours in and only just rescued Nick Valentine. Add the DLC's to the mix which I never played, and I have something to keep me occupied after finishing Cyberpunk and abandoning TES Skyrim. 

Glad you got some resolution. 

It's good to revisit some games with a fresh head. I really enjoyed Fallout 4. Obviously, it's not without it's faults but I allowed by myself to really get stuck in. The settlement building is fun. Spent a few late nights just building my settlement at Sanctuary Hills. 

I bought the DLC in a sale about a year ago and still haven't played it yet. Kind of feeling a little nostalgic for Fallout 4. Now plays at 60fps now on Series X, so I might just install it again, just to play the DLC's. Nice little treat to play with decent framerate now. 

I love Nick Valentine. His whole character backstory is just that right kind of Fallout-world bizarreness. He makes for a good companion. 

Still trucking along nicely. 

I took the time to watch a few videos on terminal hacking, something I never truly understood in any Fallout game. I used to bash away, log out, rinse and repeat until I finally hit the right password, if ever. It's not always a fast process but I definitely have the basics down, and I've cracked more terminals in this than 3/NV combined. 

One thing that does irritate me (along with probably everyone else) Is the Preston Garvey quests. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the logic behind it, essentially sending you all over the map to start discovering different locations, but the in game writing behind it is so lazy. I actually had a settler tell me there was a group of raiders "just around the corner" giving them grief. They were about 3/4 of the way across the map, on the way there I found a super mutant settlement, 2 more raider camps and a little town overrun with ghouls. Surely they should be the immediate concerns? Also, do these raiders just walk by all them common enemies to hit this settlement? It's a bit nit picky I guess, but it does break immersion a bit when they ignore super mutants that are literally just around the corner, and worry about raiders so far away they shouldn't even make it across the commonwealth. 

I also learned a valuable lesson about saving regularly when I tried to swim in power armor 😵

Deathclaws are still terrifying, however I do miss these guys from Fallout 3:

Centaur.png

God damn they were/are some creepy bastards. 

• Like 2

SIG-2.jpg

17 minutes ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

One thing that does irritate me (along with probably everyone else) Is the Preston Garvey quests. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the logic behind it, essentially sending you all over the map to start discovering different locations, but the in game writing behind it is so lazy. I actually had a settler tell me there was a group of raiders "just around the corner" giving them grief. They were about 3/4 of the way across the map, on the way there I found a super mutant settlement, 2 more raider camps and a little town overrun with ghouls. Surely they should be the immediate concerns? Also, do these raiders just walk by all them common enemies to hit this settlement? It's a bit nit picky I guess, but it does break immersion a bit when they ignore super mutants that are literally just around the corner, and worry about raiders so far away they shouldn't even make it across the commonwealth. 

So there are actually two quest types given by Preston- some of his quests are scripted, and those tend to be a bit more sane in terms of the distance from settlement to objective. Then after you've completed a set number of those he defaults to giving out radiant quests instead which are basically randomised. But because Bethesda are lazy, the reused the same voice acting for them both. 

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

23 hours ago, sivispacem said:

So there are actually two quest types given by Preston- some of his quests are scripted, and those tend to be a bit more sane in terms of the distance from settlement to objective. Then after you've completed a set number of those he defaults to giving out radiant quests instead which are basically randomised. But because Bethesda are lazy, the reused the same voice acting for them both. 

I see I see. Okay that makes sense then, as I have finished the "main" settlement quests as the achievement unlocked. I guess these are the ones reusing the same dialogue. 

SIG-2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Mister Pink

I love Many A True Nerd's videos. I think like him, seeing the positives and intricacies of functions and features in games, particularly Fallout 3 and 4. Some people will only focus on negative. He also points out a lot of things I didn't really know. If you were a fan of these games anyway, these videos will really re-enforce that and then some. If you weren't a fan, it might give you a more forgiving attitude towards the games. 

I haven't watched all of both videos but he makes very compelling arguments. Even shows evidence in the Fallout 3 video that contradicts the NV vs Fallout 3 common arguments about perceived flaws of Fallout 3, namely choices. 

Grichka Bogdanoff

No, not really.

Fallout 4 was an immense disappointment and overall a very average game (and one of the worst Fallout). Fallout 3 brought some good ideas to the series, but the story was subpar and the world building wasn't great at all.

a Chuck Kojima post.

Edited by Chuck
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
Themanwiththeplan

Sorry to resurrect an old topic. But I notice Fallout 4 is in the Steam summer sale. I was wondering what the modding community is like. Is it still as good? I know Bethesda introduced paid mods into the game, has that killed the modding scene?

OPQxo.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 7:06 AM, Themanwiththeplan said:

Sorry to resurrect an old topic. But I notice Fallout 4 is in the Steam summer sale. I was wondering what the modding community is like. Is it still as good? I know Bethesda introduced paid mods into the game, has that killed the modding scene?

The modding community is still very much alive. New Vegas tends to get all of the best mods but Fallout 4 is still getting a good stream of fan content.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hong Meiling

They hired a writer but didn't make them a writer? For shame. Any writer would be a vast improvement over Emil Pagliarulo.

• 1 month later...

I played it once for the 1st time few years ago, after playing 76 for a bit fort id give it another try

this time i decided to check out MODS and download a few......all i can say is I am LOVING this game now, the mod thing should be in a lot more games

Ladies Love, Legend in Leather :)

I'm a big fan of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I skipped FO4 at release for whatever reason. But two or three months ago I was looking for a new game, and the full version with all DLC was on sale on Steam for $10 and I bought it. Had a great time with it, playing to level 35 or so before I decided I felt way too powerful, so started over in Survival mode, and then finished the game at level 76. Fantastic game, but a big shift from traditional Fallout, more shooter than RPG. I didn't mind, it has enough of the Fallout soul to be a good installment in the franchise. But how much it had shifted became clear when I decided that I had so much fun in FO4 that I'd give New Vegas another go.

So I installed it, seeing the last time I had played was 2013, and surprisingly the cloud, I guess, had my saves. So rather than starting over, I picked up an eight year old save at level 17 in Hardcore mode, bought all the DLC, and finished New Vegas too, at level 49. But yeah, this is a real RPG, the Fallout game we'd expect from Obsidian. In terms of systems, mechanics, dialog and choice New Vegas is beyond Fallout 4. Not a better game necessarily, but different for sure. FNV is much closer to Fallout's isometric roots than FO 4 is. I liked both games, for different reasons. FNV shows it's age, but that didn't put me off in any way, and I quickly got used to it.

In both of these runs, I used no mods at all. Straight vanilla, and I had a great time finishing both games.

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

• 6 months later...

I always enjoy watching Neeher showcase his mods, his presentation is top notch.

I can't wait to try this one out. I just need to think of what my next character will be. Maybe a gambler. Hm.

nachos

Bv6FlaS.gif

steamy

• 2 weeks later...
Craigsters

only links to other Fallout remakes at video source, and  discord and social network  links at source

Edited by Craigsters

"You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

On the Waterfront 1954 M.Brando

• 5 months later...

Good news! 

Fallout 4 is getting a free current gen update for PS5 and Series consoles! It will release next year. I'm sure this is to coincide and run along promotion for the the new Fallout TV Series. 

This isn't the first time Bethesda has spruced up visuals for Fallout 4. An update for the Xbox One X enabled 4K in the 2015-era title, but only at 30 frames per second. The company took advantage of FPS Boost on Xbox Series X and S to deliver 60FPS gameplay last year, but apparently capped the resolution at 1080p. While it's not clear exactly what improvements you'll see this time around, it won't be surprising if there are fewer compromises.

‘Fallout 4’ is getting high-FPS and 4K upgrades on PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC (engadget.com)

I still haven't finished the DLC so, I tihnk i'll jump back into it when the update comes out. It's really nice having a bunch of old titles refreshed like GTA, Fallout, RDR running at 4K and/or 60fps. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, Mister Pink said:

I still haven't finished the DLC so, I tihnk i'll jump back into it when the update comes out. It's really nice having a bunch of old titles refreshed like GTA, Fallout, RDR running at 4K and/or 60fps. 

I didn't finish any of the DLC on my run,  on survival to level 76.

A year passed since then, so recently I picked it back up and am currently doing Nuka World. Nothing here to blow me away, but it's new and different and more XP. Some cool weapons to be had as well. Got a new rifle (Splattercannon) and new knife (Throatslicer) in Nuka World so it's worth a visit I think.

I had done maybe half of Far Harbor, and again it was rather average for me. I disliked the claustrophobic feeling due to the everpresent fog and the constant radiation is annoying too.

Now that I think about it, the DLC for the three games in the series I've played (3, NV, 4) has all been rather average and not sure which I would pick as favorite. Old World Blues for example had fantastic writing. The dialog with the Think Tank is genuine laugh out loud stuff.  And the Sink is the best base in Fallout. But the quests kinda sucked. Lonesome Road was cool, Ulysses is a great character, but it's all so linear.  The DLC is not Fallout's best parts.

Actually, now that I've nearly finished Nuka World I'll revise my assessment to 'not bad'. It's fairly difficult at times. I'm on Survival Mode which makes a number of changes to increase the challenge, not least of which is enemies do +400% damage over Normal. This of course makes combat more lethal for the Vault Dweller Lone Wanderer Sole Survivor, which is a big part of the appeal in playing this mode. The writing and 'story' are servicable, and there are new weapons, items and consumables. It's worth a go anyway, and you can come and go from Nuka World as you please, but of course in Survival there's no fast travel, so you won't often do it on a whim as it takes a while to leave and come back.

I never played it on survival but I really enjoyed Nuka World, it was a lot of fun to explore... but I could never finish it because it crashed all the time when I was in there.

2 hours ago, smokeless6 said:

Actually, now that I've nearly finished Nuka World I'll revise my assessment to 'not bad'. It's fairly difficult at times. I'm on Survival Mode which makes a number of changes to increase the challenge, not least of which is enemies do +400% damage over Normal. This of course makes combat more lethal for the Vault Dweller Lone Wanderer Sole Survivor, which is a big part of the appeal in playing this mode. The writing and 'story' are servicable, and there are new weapons, items and consumables. It's worth a go anyway, and you can come and go from Nuka World as you please, but of course in Survival there's no fast travel, so you won't often do it on a whim as it takes a while to leave and come back.

My biggest issue with Survival is that everyone else retains their bullet-spongeyness.

I run a custom "Survival" profile using one of the F4SE mods that applies like 300% extra damage to everyone, including the Sole Survivor. So you get domed very, very quickly if you don't think tactically, but don't end up emptying entire magazines into feral ghouls whilst they just scream and run at you. 

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm playing straight vanilla, no mods.  I haven't felt the same, that enemies were sponges, except maybe at the start when I was using whatever gear I came across. I feel like my build and weapons synergize very well, and I'm as lethal as the enemies. Well, way more so actually, despite the bonuses the NPCs and creatures get.

I started playing FO4 and when I hit around level 35 I felt too powerful frankly. That made me start over in Survival Mode. I had played New Vegas all the way through in Hardcore, and really liked it. So it was natural to switch over in FO4. Survival is more restrictive than Hardcore, but the same general vibe. But it transformed the experience, and I won't play normal again. It was a lot of fun, but Survival is way better for me. Fast travel and saving restrictions do make it a bit more, well, not tedious exactly, but it's all a more measured and methodical. The combat in this mode is the real star, no comparison really. All the other stuff just adds to it. Planning for food and water, careful about carry weights, illness and sleep.  You fall in to that rhythm, and it's right up my alley. I want to have to decide not to carry that amazing weapon because I just can't afford the extra weight, ya know? I liked Fallout 4 a lot. I love Fallout 4 Survival.

Another cool thing is there's no level cap. I finished the main quest some time ago, going the Nuclear Option route, but I'm still playing, mainly because there's no cap on my progression. Level 85 now and there are still perks I want and I can still improve my character.  I wish more games were like this. Aside from that, the 'A-life' in FO4 is great. I pull that term from Stalker, and I'm sure you guys know what I mean. The way the world populates. The sense it gives of existing in a world where it doesn't revolve around you. How firefights crackle in the near-distance, how you can creep up on a scene of a battle just done, the losers strung about. Survival has a really nice repop cooldown, I think it's 30 days. But you sleep a third of that time so it's probably closer to 20 days in effect. So everytime you pass through old ground you never know if you'll do it in solitude or whether a full squad patrol is right around the corner.  It makes just 'patrolling' a great experience, which is intensified by how much more crucial your kit decisions have become because of the carry restrictions. All of this is framed by a day/night, food/water and sleep cycle, and it's a lot of fun.

One more thing as this is getting long. I have intentionally avoided using any mods, but especially the camp mod that lets you set up and save anywhere. This would be such a nice thing to have! But I want to have that finality of action and consequence that being an hour since your last save gives. Without this I'd just F5 before anything and everything I do. If it goes wrong, boom, try again, forewarned and ready this time. I've lost some serious time, levels, and gear to unfortunate deaths. Well some were me just asking for it. But it's such a mindset shift, changing my approach to just about everything. I'm glad I gave it a go, because it transformed this game in to one of my all time favorites. New Vegas and even FO3 are great games, and NV is a better RPG. But FO4 Survival is a better experience for me.