4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

universetwisters

[WIP] IV: Our Ugly World

universetwisters

user posted image

"Our Ugly World" is an upcoming total conversion for Rockstar Game's "Grand Theft Auto IV", that takes place in the small Virignian town of Virginia and it's surrounding countryside featuring abandoned mines and forests full of secrets. The player is put in the shoes of Will Bauer, a loyal and wise gun runner with a bad case of ostalgie and an obesssion with model trains from Germany who wishes to rise the criminal ladder. The story will give the player the chance to join Will and his gang of misfits as they build a criminal empire from the ground up, with the help of with the help of Jamie Bauer, Will's hacker brother, Trey Stevens, Will's former roomate, Jack, the leader of a gang of misfit bikers, and Craig Miller, a small-time drug dealer.

Not only the player is introduced to a new city and a colorful cast of characters, but they are also introduced to a ton of new vehicles, such as the Vapid Coravelle, a powerful muscle car from the 1970s, the Croatie 3C, a cheap, lightweight motorbike imported from Croatia, the Mesa Algonquin, a compact SUV perfect for offroading, and the Vulcar Cascade, a luxurious sedan imported from Germany, just to name a few. There are also new weapons in the mod, replacing all of IV's original weapons, such as the Milwaukee Slugger baseball bat staight outta Milwaukee, the silent and stealthy MAC-10, and the powerful and deadlySPAS-12. Of course, we need some good music to listen to while we rise to the top, right? There's a whole new range of radio stations in OUW, such as Richmond Rock Nation, broadcasting some of the best grunge music straight out of the 1990s, Raver Soundystem, pumping some of the best nightcore through your speakers, and SSTR, a talk radio station with one unlucky host and a ton of angry callers.

WANTED!!

*Character Modellers

*Voice Actors

*SCO Scripters

Where do I fit into all of this?

As you can see, a project of this size would take a while to complete with only one or two people working on it. Therefore, we would need a team. So if you feel like taking part in this groundbreaking project, let us know. So far, we have:

*universetwisters - Leader, Planner, QA

*Frank.s - Scripter, 3D modelling

*ALMOST610 - Vehicle modelling

*Azio_Junior - Vehicle modelling

*69_black_69 - Character Modeling

*John Wyckoff - Buildings & Terrain

*lumpy.flippy - Buildings

*Steff R - Buildings

*MrSmarter22 - Buildings

*MegaMario1500 - Textures

*RoadRunner71 - Textures

*Chris_Lolwut - Weapons

*Bipin (Not on the forums) - Building/Structure 3D Modeller

*A very special thanks to Onepiece, who let us convert his III HD vehicles into the mod!

Cast

*MrSmarter22 - (AFAWK) Will Bauer

*Claude94 - Trey Stevens

*NikoGTA4 - OR-Bit FM DJ

*Coat. - Aura FM DJ and Dialogue

We recruit anybody who can do anything, from converting to models to coding, drop us a line! Comments, constructive criticisms and opinions appreciated. icon14.gif

Development Blogs

*October 14, 2012

Screenshots

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

We recruit anybody who can do anything, from converting to models to coding, drop us a line! Comments, constructive criticisms and opinions appreciated. icon14.gif

Edited by universetwisters

Frank.s

user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image user posted image user posted image

Edited by Frank.s

universetwisters

Will's Model In-Game

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

nkjellman

I think Rockstar stated that Carcer City is supposed to be like Chicago in the GTA Universe. I'm not 100% on this. However I'm sure Rockstar would base it off a real city. I think Chicago would be a good city to base it off of. I wouldn't make something that is totally made up. I think it would be cool to see a real city made. But I like this idea so far and I wish you the best luck.

Ash_735

I heard more Detroit and Philly.

nkjellman
I heard more Detroit and Philly.

Seems logical. However Rockstar usually focuses on the bigger cities. Chicago would be more interesting than those.

Kalvin

You're both just saying the 3 cities that GTA3 is based off lol.

Jestic

Don't forget NYC, on Stuanton you can clearly see some things.

universetwisters
I think Rockstar stated that Carcer City is supposed to be like Chicago in the GTA Universe. I'm not 100% on this. However I'm sure Rockstar would base it off a real city. I think Chicago would be a good city to base it off of. I wouldn't make something that is totally made up. I think it would be cool to see a real city made. But I like this idea so far and I wish you the best luck.

I remember in GTA 3, the Lips 106 DJ said that Carcer was "nearby" Liberty City, so making the assumption that III-Era Liberty City is based on New York, then that would be pretty silly, especially given the fact that in IV, Carcer City is about 50-100 miles from Liberty (If I remember correctly). There's a lot of factors, though, such as if you're going in a straight line, taking roads, etc. XD

However, I'll take your Chicago idea into consideration, given the fact that I'm trying to make Carcer City based on numerous rust-belt cities (Chicago being on the list). Thanks, though!

nkjellman

I'm talking about cities that are more heavily focused on one city. III wasn't heavily based on any of those places, like VC was to Miami, and SA is to the areas of Las Vegas, San Francisco, and Las Angles. That same applies for IV and New York and Jersey City.

I think it would be interesting to see Carcer City put together into a city that looks much like Chicago.

Edit: Saw your post. Want me to post some photos to help?

universetwisters

I'm talking about cities that are more heavily focused on one city. III wasn't heavily based on any of those places, like VC was to Miami, and SA is to the areas of Las Vegas, San Francisco, and Las Angles. That same applies for IV and New York and Jersey City.

I think it would be interesting to see Carcer City put together into a city that looks much like Chicago.

Edit: Saw your post. Want me to post some photos to help?

Photos to help with the mod, or for comparison? I'm basing Carcer City off a bunch of different Rust Belt cities, such as Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.

Ash_735

Well back in the day before we had Rockstars new explanation, Liberty City was assumed to be New York, and "Near by Carcer City" was assumed to be New Jersey.

Both of those are retconned out now! And since Manhunt is in the past before this retcon, I say base it on the old ideas.

nkjellman
Well back in the day before we had Rockstars new explanation, Liberty City was assumed to be New York, and "Near by Carcer City" was assumed to be New Jersey.

Both of those are retconned out now! And since Manhunt is in the past before this retcon, I say base it on the old ideas.

Carcer City could even be Washington DC. But in Manhunt, it looked a lot like Chicago to me.

universetwisters
And since Manhunt is in the past before this retcon, I say base it on the old ideas.

Exactly, that's why I'm basing it on Numerous Rust Belt Cities rather than a single city, like how GTA 3 was based on Numerous Northeast Cities.

œaœa

I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar made a GTA game in the future that is set in Carcer and basing it on Chicago.

Death2Drugs

I'd say Carcer City is more or less based on Camden, New Jersey.

If it is, that would technically put Carcer City in Alderney.

nkjellman

I'd say Carcer City is more or less based on Camden, New Jersey.

If it is, that would technically put Carcer City in Alderney.

Yes. That is why I think Carcer City should be based on Chicago. Alderny is based on Jersy City. However if you want, you can do a mix of Chicago and Detroit, but I think just Chicago would be better. After making III's map, Rockstar did their cities after one city, which seemed to be more interesting in my opinion. This has been demonstrated especially in GTA IV, and most likely will be in GTA V. Anyways, here are some pics if your interested.

user posted image

user posted image

And some more good pics that are large and I don't feel like resizing.

http://racingsquirrel.com/images/A00305g_Chicago.jpg

http://www.a1chicagomovers.com/images/chic..._march2006c.jpg

http://www.ironworkersmc.com/Chicago/image...cagoSkyline.jpg

Edited by nkjellman

Braindawg

Being an extreme caricature of a Rust Belt city, Carcer City appears to have taken inspiration from Camden, NJ; Flint, MI; East St Louis, IL; Gary, IN; and Detroit, MI.

There. You have your source locations now. Although I think if you're gonna map a fictional place based off of real locations,

you should improvise and create from your imagination MORE than you try and recreate landmarks or anything that would resemble real life places.

Illusion Softworks made it look easy as pie in Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. The map is AMAZING.

LT_vVheris

Just a few questions. Does the leader have modeling/mod/game making experience? Does this thing have map plan, references? Why are you starting by modeling quite detailed buildings when you havent started/shown how the street/landscape layout looks/is like.

Frank.s

Understandable, All plans for all aspects of the mod are here btw. wink.gif

Right now UniverseTwisters doesn't have any IV modding knowledge so he's totally focused around planning all aspects of the game (he's getting a better pc soon so might start then). I've seen plenty of mod teams where the leader is just telling the modders what to do without contributing in-game work and i can see the negativity of that method, however in this situation it should be do-able, if you have doubts then stick around to see how the mod progresses. smile.gif We have a very early draft of the map-plan but it's not worth showing yet, it'll probably be posted when it's done. We're modeling a bunch of buildings which can be placed in the road-network and terrain of the city, which hasn't been modeled yet.

Edited by Frank.s

Sebianoti

I bookmarked this page for the future, looking forward to more screenshots and information, good luck!

universetwisters
I bookmarked this page for the future, looking forward to more screenshots and information, good luck!

Thanks dude, you won't be disappointed! biggrin.gif

@LT_vVheris - Frank summed it up pretty good, I'm trying to get a new computer, learning how to mod, etc. Right now, I'm just planning it out (Both the story and the map), so that they're decent, and it's playable.

Compeast

Oh, this sounds pretty interesting! Chicago for the win. ^^

universetwisters
Oh, this sounds pretty interesting! Chicago for the win. ^^

It's a bunch of different rust belt cities, not just chicago

Ash_735

Don't forget these for inspiration, must be some finer clues in them, tese are the subway maps from Manhunt recreated:

user posted image

user posted image

DS 17

Wow, this mod seems beeing very organised, too. That is a good base for the later development.

So this will be the map?

user posted image

This is also good, but do not landlock it. Could you give us a comparison between Liberty City and the expected map? The subtitle of the map I found said that it may be changed.

universetwisters

Don't forget these for inspiration, must be some finer clues in them, tese are the subway maps from Manhunt recreated:

user posted image

user posted image

Hey dude, thanks for the subway maps smile.gif . So far, I've just been thinking of making the subway more of a "circuit" with only a few switches, like IV's subway. I'll probably go for making my own subway map, mostly due to the fact that there isn't much of a street map to base it on (It'll be much easier trying to build a subway around a city rather than build a city around a subway, after all wink.gif )

@DS 17 - That was originally the map, but we're gonna change it soon. The only parts that'll remain (at this stage) is Gatwick and Canada (to the West). We just have to make suburbs to the southeast and resize/remake Carcer Island, due to the fact that it won't fit . And as far as the landlocking goes, I'm still thinking of it. I can imagine that it would be impossible to create never-ending road, but perhaps the map can suddenly "drop"? I want there to be some kind of "world" outside the player, like what shoreside vale and "upstate" served in GTA 3.

universetwisters

Alright amigos, here's a preview of the Carcer City Suburbs. Most of you may remember Wapona Hills from Manhunt, but I added a few other neighborhoods to house the city's 9-5ers. Bonus points if you get the references! biggrin.gif

user posted image

LT_vVheris

sorry to say it. But its way too big for a few people to handle. Why dont you make a little but interesting carcer city? you could polish everything and make the layout way more interesting.

universetwisters
sorry to say it. But its way too big for a few people to handle. Why dont you make a little but interesting carcer city? you could polish everything and make the layout way more interesting.

We're just taking it step-by-step. We're currently working on the terrain & buildings for the suburbs. then once we do that, we could release it as part of a beta, along with some vehicles, characters, etc. like a sneak preview, I guess would be the word smile.gif