Size doesn't matter....

JStarr31

More interiors less useless buildings or 1:1 like LC if Los Santos is to be massive?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. More interiors less useless buildings or 1:1 like LC if Los Santos is to be massive?

• Yes; I wouldn't mind LS being smaller if it means almost everything can be entered
    • No; I want LS to be huge even if it means less interiors

spiderman3000

There were lots of interiors in GTA IV which you could SEE but couldn't enter. That annoyed me a ton.

There were lots of interiors in GTA IV which you could SEE but couldn't enter. That annoyed me a ton.

San Andreas had those too. Lots of them.

Off-topic: Why the hell is my signature disabled O_o?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, retarded sig.

Size doesn't matter. Yakuza games had mainly the very same map for 4 games and still it was vivid and had lots of opportunites.

anyways, back to GTA V:

I'm definitely looking forward to have a huge map. IV's Liberty City was great, but the map itself is rather limited...no real landscapes, deserts.

There are freeways, in Broker, Union Drive in Algonquin and the huge freeway in Alderney, still, it doesn't feel that large. You get from Alderney to Francis International in what, 2 minutes?

GTA V's map shall be much larger, without compromising the vivid feel to it.

Mainland Marauder

Los Angeles is huge.

And while PS2-era San Andreas seemed huge, Los Santos just didn't seem big enough. In SA's Los Santos you could drive across town in a couple minutes. In real-life Los Angeles you can hardly drive across town in a couple hours sometimes. If this is going to focus on recreating LA the way IV did with New York, it has to sprawl.

As for interiors - there could be a lot of them, possibly, if done the way it was in the last-gen SA. If you have a lot of them actually loading with the outer structure it would lag up the works quite a bit, just like if you had an actual Times Square crowd of pedestrians on a street. I'm sure Rockstar would love to put it in but the current console technology is what it is, and it's aging. I'm thinking we might have more of a San Andreas-type interiors model for this reason, as that was one of the key ways they were able to make that game so huge and yet the entire outer map loads seamlessly when the previous single-city maps had a load time every time you went from one island to the other.

Furthermore, speaking of islands, it'd be nice if we got away from the usual GTA model of a city on an island in the middle of nowhere. Maybe the new Los Santos will be bound by water on one side and mountains on the other, sort of like Red Dead Redemption. That was a nice touch, really. An Old West on a solitary island would've been corny.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

Oh well, but you gotta give R* credit for still pulling off 3 games with different gang/drug wars, races and police chases over whole LC.

LC was kind of small, but R* manages to put in many different racing routes, gang destinations, etc.

Now imagine this with a map which is what? Like 5 times larger?

I'd prefer more interiors than more land.. But i'd like to get a good balance.. say the more land would be used wisely & not just random ugly bits that you can't do anything on & are just 'there'. With interiors the more the better. But get the city size that R* want & then see how many interiors can be done.

Tho i'd prefer a huge map & every building to have an interior but that is unlikely.

More shops/stores to have interiors & to them to be interactable. If they are not enterable do them like in LA Noire where the glass on the outside have a see-through window with items in it but you couldn't enter it.. that was more realistic than just a bad drawing on a building that made it look like a window of a shop.

I hope Los Santos is as BIG as the State of San Andreas, and as detailed as IV is...

I'd rather more interiors to be honest. Something the series has lacked is a decent variety of interiors. I'm talking about police stations, malls, churchs, aquariums, drug dens, movie theatres, morgues, museums etc.

Of course some of this has already appeared, but I've often said I'd take a VC sized map where nearly all buildings can be entered than a huge map by land mass.

It just creates more immersion IMO.

A larger map with less interiors is more fit for an open world game.

A smaller map with more interiors is better fit for more linear, not entirely free roam games.

I'd like to see a bit of a mix of both! I want a big city, but I also want a few shops, houses, skyscrapers and things like banks and corporative buildings. I think this would help bring the city to life!

DuncanOfFlorance

You might be forgetting about the story. If they would make a smaller world, they would have to force the whole story in that one (tiny) city. Which means locations would have to be reused or the story would have to be shortened. A bigger world means more variety in locations/gameplay. Although I think most key buildings should be accessible. I hated how you could enter one hospital, but not the other in GTA IV.

Los Angeles is huge.

And while PS2-era San Andreas seemed huge, Los Santos just didn't seem big enough. In SA's Los Santos you could drive across town in a couple minutes. In real-life Los Angeles you can hardly drive across town in a couple hours sometimes. If this is going to focus on recreating LA the way IV did with New York, it has to sprawl.

As for interiors - there could be a lot of them, possibly, if done the way it was in the last-gen SA. If you have a lot of them actually loading with the outer structure it would lag up the works quite a bit, just like if you had an actual Times Square crowd of pedestrians on a street. I'm sure Rockstar would love to put it in but the current console technology is what it is, and it's aging. I'm thinking we might have more of a San Andreas-type interiors model for this reason, as that was one of the key ways they were able to make that game so huge and yet the entire outer map loads seamlessly when the previous single-city maps had a load time every time you went from one island to the other.

Furthermore, speaking of islands, it'd be nice if we got away from the usual GTA model of a city on an island in the middle of nowhere. Maybe the new Los Santos will be bound by water on one side and mountains on the other, sort of like Red Dead Redemption. That was a nice touch, really. An Old West on a solitary island would've been corny.

icon14.gif

user posted image

At the very least I hope that all interiors that are used in missions are enterable off mission. I hate when an interior is only used for one mission then it's locked. confused.gif

Mainland Marauder

At the very least I hope that all interiors that are used in missions are enterable off mission. I hate when an interior is only used for one mission then it's locked.  confused.gif

If you ever explored the hidden interiors universe in SA, you might have found that some of the interiors are not even complete rooms. Non-solid walls, floors and the like. Especially any of them that appeared only in cutscenes, which there were several. They completed just the part where they had people inside, so they didn't fall into the void outside.

If you use the jetpack cheat during the part of the intro where CJ is riding in the police car, after dying and respawning at the hospital, you will be able to enter several of the mission-based interiors. Just FYI. Happy exploring. icon14.gif

As for the number of interiors vs. "useless" buildings, consider when you drive around your town and the percentage of buildings you see that you might actually go into. Ideally, every building would have a function but I just don't see it being feasible, not with today's hardware.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

theworldfamous

I'm all for more interiors.. especially in most functional buildings. To me that IS a bigger map because there's more to do and see.. just more streets with cars and buildingblocks is just that.. more streets.. yawn.

ThisIsHorosho

...i don't want all interriors to be entarable, just some of the most important ones like shoppings malls, shooting range, hospitals, police stations and maybe some restaraunts, but thats about it...i want city to be big this time...

Live is Life nana nana na...

Well it would all depend on how small the map would be. If it's just a bit smaller than we expected but all buildings could be entered then I would be happy with it. If we're talking LC small, which it shouldn't be, then I would be quite disappointed.

Of course size matters. Girls only tell guys that 'size doesn't matter', to spare their feelings because they have a small whacker.

Oh, you mean the map? Yes yes. It has to be long, fat, and veiny.

Both. If i had to pick, more interiors. I think GTA IV had a nice large map, nothing to do though.

I want it to be like SA, in every little village/city or place throughout the map you could go in at least some places even if it was only a burger shop.

I want BOTH, LOL! Seriously, a large map is important for many reasons. The most basic part of the GTA experience is getting from point A to point B, and everything in between. Traveling must not be sacrificed, otherwise, at some point, the game will start to feel linear and crampy. We have gotten used to roaming around large maps, and that's why GTAIV "felt" small for many people.

The use of airplanes was completely gone due to the smaller map. THAT, combined with the sheer lack of explorable interiors, are the only major gripes i've had with GTAIV. It's the reason why i still consider San Andreas a superior game overall. I loved GTAIV, but i really missed the vast territory covered by San Andreas.

All that being said, i want MORE interiors to explore. We have reached a point in gaming where large maps with picturesque landscapes that are only shells of buildings are no longer enough to satisfy the requirements of fans who love open world games. More than anything, the single most important aspect of the sandbox genre created by Rockstar, is the excitement of exploration. Storylines, graphics and gameplay are very important, but the main identity remains traveling and discovering. Interiors are DEFINATELY the next big important step.

You can’t drive inside a building or fly inside of it. Vote goes to bigger maps.

That does not mean they should not add places that we can enter. And if they are really into it, they can add a loading screen and make every place enter-able. That would ruin the feel of "open-ness" though tounge.gif

You can’t drive inside a building or fly inside of it. Vote goes to bigger maps.

That does not mean they should not add places that we can enter. And if they are really into it, they can add a loading screen and make every place enter-able. That would ruin the feel of "open-ness" though tounge.gif

You can to drive in a building, lol. I drove a Sentinel into the Goldberg Lighner and Shyster building and everything got screwed up. You could see the interior of course but only the shape of everything. The textures were gone it was all grey.

user posted image

Official General

How about this, LS is massive and there are more interiors because R* knows we cried for more interiors?

My thoughts exactly icon14.gif

So I voted for none of the above options.

Too little enterable interiors = the game becomes repetitive, as though you are a mouse in a maze.

Too many enterable interiors = the game becomes overwhelming and the power of the console can be used in a wasteful manner.

A solution is to make it so certain types of buildings are enterable, and stick to the code.

- Banks

- Clubs/Bars

- Auto dealers

- Pharmacies

- Convenience stores

- 2% of all residential buildings.

Now populate these buildings with the appropriate NPC's and give the player ways of interacting with the building (such as robbery or hostage situations).

Edited by mvega0422

How about this, LS is massive and there are more interiors because R* knows we cried for more interiors?

The thing is, the PS3 or the XBOX can’t handle it unless they add a loading screen before entering any place. That sucked big time in Skyrim because the loading screens were so long. Unlike Skyrim though, GTA never uses interiors for mission. You just go to a marker and POOF! You are talking to some guy and the mission starts. It is something that might work for our cause.

So, unless R* adds loading screens before entering 98% of places, you won’t be able to do it in this gen and maybe not even in the next one.

That is what I have been told and what I have figured out seeing Skyrim has loading screen. If the PS3 and the Xbox can handle it, I am ok with it.

I just want the game to be less buggy, know what I mean?

The thing is, the PS3 or the XBOX can’t handle it unless they add a loading screen before entering any place. That sucked big time in Skyrim because the loading screens were so long. Unlike Skyrim though, GTA never uses interiors for mission. You just go to a marker and POOF! You are talking to some guy and the mission starts. It is something that might work for our cause.

So, unless R* adds loading screens before entering 98% of places, you won’t be able to do it in this gen and maybe not even in the next one.

That is what I have been told and what I have figured out seeing Skyrim has loading screen. If the PS3 and the Xbox can handle it, I am ok with it.

I just want the game to be less buggy, know what I mean?

I really doubt there will be problems just having a few more interiors, really???

user posted image

I wouldn't mind if we got another LC-sized city, only if they made at least 90% of "interesting" buildings enterable. anything lower than that would be sh*t, i prefer a huge map though but like i said i wouldn't mind IF they give us that

Of course size matters. Girls only tell guys that 'size doesn't matter', to spare their feelings because they have a small whacker.

Oh, you mean the map? Yes yes. It has to be long, fat, and veiny.

I hope you are a girl. cry.gif