A nightmare called HP

Bad.boy!

To start with, I have a HP pavilion dv6-3020ed (laptop). At first I thought that it was pretty good, it was as far as I can recall silent and fast. The only disadvantage of my laptop was that it had to much HP software. Annoying HP applications and Splashtop. Anyway after a week flash video's made my system crash, and not just a crash there was no bluescreen or something but the computer started making strange noises and just terminated after a while. Every time I booted up I neaded to go trough an annoying HDD check. And I used splashtop for youtube (that seemed to work). I tried to reinstall drivers, flash and adobe, but nothing helped.

Some (or many idk) months passed, one day I updated my pc. But it took literally hours (updating on shutdown), and I thought f*ck this sh*t and shutdown the computer. I knew I shouldn't have done that but it turned out to be one of the best thinks I did to my laptop. Windows was ruined and I had to reinstall it. After I completed the fresh reinstall youtube still crashed. But it takes longer know before it crashes.

Some time passed and there were updates available for my graphics card. Don't ask me what my graphics card is/was because I don't know it anymore. First I had a HP built in configuration application, but when I updated I needed to go to the ATI site and download it there. That replaced my HP application completely and I now have a more general configuration screen (from ATI). According to speccy I know have the mobility radeon 5000 (thus 5xxx), but before I had something else (52?? or 51?? dunno). I also have a intel panel (maybe switchable graphics?) but when I click on that nothing happens. I also had issues with my computer speed changing between battery endurance and speed (I fixed that).

I got rid of splashtop a long time ago, and now I use ubuntu for youtube and some other things. And again I have problems with my graphics card I can install it but when I open it I get error messages.

Now your probably wondering, did he create a topic to moan about his laptop? Yes I did, but I also have some questions. What is good brand for laptops (not custom built), I'm not going to buy a new one but still. And please don't mention asus, because I had an asus laptop before this one and the back light (led or whatever it's called) broke and the factory couldn't repair it and that's how I got this laptop. Is there some way of restoring my old graphics card, and will that one better to do? And I don't think that anyone can help me with the Ubuntu thing, but if someone knows something about it please share it (I can better ask that on the ubuntu forums). And can someone tell me what that intel graphics thing is that I sometimes see? And if you're from an English speaking country please forgive my bad grammar, it'll probably be a pain in the ass to read.

And a slight note, my laptop sounds like a motherf*cking jet engine now.

Apple. tounge.gif I'm running windows and reading this at a resolution of 2650x1800. It's retarded.

But I've loved a lot of what I've seen from Acer, MSI, and Sony - with Sony being a good "designer" alternative to Apple if that's a factor.

But I'll tell you, laptops can be a bit of a crap shoot. I don't think this is brand exclusive. Although I do sympathize with your HP issues - they install so much proprietary OEM bullsh*t (worse than Dell, even!) that it's nearly impossible to get a clean install.

...keep up the good fight, I guess? I'd take your laptop in somewhere to be cleaned. Sounds like it's a spooky mess inside it.

Edited by Otter

leik oh em jeez!

Great prebuilt laptops: HP

It sounds to me like don't know how to use Windows very well and blame it on the manufacturer of the laptop. Every company is going to start you out with bloatware. This isn't something that only HP does. Windows crashed. This happens sometimes, it's not an HP exclusive event. Your system ran an HDD check when restarted after a crash because YOU didn't hit the key to skip it, and again, Windows does this regardless of who makes the computer.

I don't know what you mean by "I use ubuntu for youtube" unless you're saying that you boot to a different operating system to watch videos, in which case, why?

You "graphics card problems" may come from you not having the correct driver installed. on the bottom of the laptop there should be a sticker with serial number, series, model number, and probably the manufacture date as well on it. Look up your specific model to find out what GPU it has.

For instance, mine is a tx2513cl, so I google "tx2513cl site:hp.com" without the quotes and the 2nd result is the Product Specification Page with tells me the graphics chip is an ATI Radeon HD 3200.

After you've done that you can go to ATI's website to find the driver for your GPU.

they install so much proprietary OEM bullsh*t (worse than Dell, even!) that it's nearly impossible to get a clean install.

Wait, what? I've never had problems putting clean installs on HP laptops, and that's about 75% of what I do.

they install so much proprietary OEM bullsh*t (worse than Dell, even!) that it's nearly impossible to get a clean install.

Wait, what? I've never had problems putting clean installs on HP laptops, and that's about 75% of what I do.

For a living? Or just in life, in general? Because either way, that puts you way ahead of the pack. wink.gif

If you buy a clean copy of Windows and toss the OEM disc, then yeah, simple. But out of the gate I find Dell and HP so incredibly bloated out of the store (removing the stickers alone is a pain in the ass tounge.gif)

...but I can't speak for anything in the past couple years. Only painful memories.

leik oh em jeez!
For a living? Or just in life, in general? Because either way, that puts you way ahead of the pack. wink.gif

If you buy a clean copy of Windows and toss the OEM disc, then yeah, simple. But out of the gate I find Dell and HP so incredibly bloated out of the store (removing the stickers alone is a pain in the ass tounge.gif)

...but I can't speak for anything in the past couple years. Only painful memories.

Not really for a living, more of a side job. And yeah, I only use clean copies. No since in reinstalling all of bloatware you were trying to get rid of in the first place. tounge.gif

Much easier to just find the software online if there's a specific piece of OEM software the customer wants to keep. (Which is extremely rare)

It sounds to me like don't know how to use Windows very well and blame it on the manufacturer of the laptop. Every company is going to start you out with bloatware. This isn't something that only HP does. Windows crashed. This happens sometimes, it's not an HP exclusive event. Your system ran an HDD check when restarted after a crash because YOU didn't hit the key to skip it, and again, Windows does this regardless of who makes the computer.

I blame both HP and windows. I had to run those checks because of youtube crashing. I've skipped it a few times, but then it started to get really ridiculous the pc started multiple checks at startup. And I know how to use windows tounge.gif

But I don't have that problem anymore. And when I did that fresh reinstall I had to do it via the recovery partition, so it installed all the HP sh*t again.

And about Ubuntu, I dual boot. I use ubuntu for the internet, and some other things. My specs.

I know that this site doesn't like torrents, but can I ask: if I download windows 7 and use the serial from my pc (legit), will windows be clean?

I really recommend you have it cleaned professionally. It shouldn't be crashing under duress, unless you're overclocking it.

leik oh em jeez!

I know that this site doesn't like torrents, but can I ask: if I download windows 7 and use the serial from my pc (legit), will windows be clean?

Legally, the process of downloading Windows is a bit of a grey area. It's not really pirating as Windows treats itself as a demo or trial until it's activated. Add to that you've already purchased a license to use that version of Windows so it should be okay to discuss so long as the discussion doesn't involve getting around the activation procedure. (At least in my opinion)

So seeing as how you're already licensed to use Windows 7 Home premium on that system, it's technically not illegal (as far as I know) to download that version of Windows for use on that system. As far as using your own product key on a copy you've downloaded, make sure it matches up being an OEM Home Premium x64 copy.

You may want to have someone that knows what they're doing check it out for malware and clean the dust out of it.

Fozzy Fozborne

I would recommend using this site as it links directly to Microsoft.

My Digital Life

Simply download and mount. It is compatible with your OEM license code. But you do have to call and go through the telephone activation.

I have personally installed the 64-bit professional dozens of times and the 32/64-Bit Home Premium at least ten times on Dell/HP/Lenovo computers using the license code printed on the sticker. It will complain that it can't activate until you call and get the activation code.

Finn 7 five 11

Laptops are a hit and miss, i have HP dv6 as well, mine is a newer model though, a dv6 6025TX or something like that i really can't remember, but yes it did come with a bunch of standard HP crap but it runs really well, no real severe problems and i have had it for 8 months now.

I haven't heard of serious issues with Sony's laptops, they look brilliant, but they are very expensive, sometimes double other laptops for the same specifications.

Bloatware can be gotten rid of by simply reinstalling windows through downloading an iso containing an exact version of the licence that came with your laptop. this will still mark itself as genuine. On newer up laptops there should be a recovery partition that you can access by pressing f1 then selecting recover. No need to download anything, I am not entirely sure whether it also installs Bloatware, although this can easily be uninstalled through control panel.

I work as a technician at an Hp gold certified partner, we are also agents of Sony. I can say that Sony laptops are sh*t to work on. There is no official support for troubleshooting their stuff and they are a bitch to take apart. There are no real processes to follow.

Hp documents everything and is generally much more helpful. They are very easy to handle. Any required part is shipped overnight without problems. I can't say I've seen dv6s got repairs, most of the repairs we have that were not a result of user mismanagement are older probooks. If you want a good laptop get the elitebook.

If anything formatting hp laptops at work requires a clean windows image. Drivers and Bloatware are on a separate cd. we have to install them as it's requested by hp that we do so. they are however mostly unobtrusive apart from the anti virus

Edited by matthew1g

user posted image

user posted image

Triple Penetration

Oh, you lucky one.

First I got a HP Dv6 (don't remember the number) from my aunt who decided she can't use any kind of computer, even I tried my best teaching her how to. It was pretty ok for first 2 weeks (including the 1st week my aunt used it), but then screen turned black. I took it to back to the warranty, but it turned out to be just some cable. I couldn't make them explain to me.

After a week or 6 days the screen started fading to black really slow, it took me about 20 minutes to realize it has gotten darker. I tried some shenanigans I found on youtube for the exact same problem for the exact same laptop model. It involved some button pressing and it worked. Well, if you can call display showing everything fine for about 30 seconds and turning the computer off. As I turned it back on, it didn't show any other colour but pitch black.

I took it to the warranty service again, but they refused to do anything without checking on it, saying I must've done something to it.

With frustration, I found some shady company which would fix everything and if something breaks in 90 days after the fix, they will cover it. The price was a bit too much, but I liked the guarantee.

The monitor broke 2 times during those 90 days and the guys were kind enough to extend the 90 days. And on almost the last day, it broke again. Those guys said they were expecting me and thought to change the screen itself and some mainboard part, can't remember it anymore. It was 3 years ago.

They fixed it in 2 weeks time and I was pretty happy, everything seemed okay and I had to fly out very soon and I wanted to take the laptop with me. On the plane, I wanted to check the battery on the laptop and when I turned it on, guess what happened? Yes, the screen was dead, with everything black.

I fixed that sh*t one more time, in another country and damn sold it, without any profit, only expenses. I didn't even buy the frickin' laptop, my aunt did.

A year later after that cursed laptop, I saw a good deal for that time. It had a big screen, quad core cpu, 8 gigs of ram and 750GB HDD - all for 500 quid. I was pretty happy for the thing, didn't care if it's a HP. Well, it was and it didn't give me any chance to enjoy all the power in it.

After a week, it gave me a bluescreen. I tried to restart it, but to no avail, so had to plug that sh*t out and wait for battery to discharge. As it did, I tried to put the charger in, but the screen showed glitches and artifacts so badly it turned into a pixelated LSD mess. It even started flashing, so if anybody had the same laptop and has epylepsy then man, I'm sorry for you.

The shop didn't want to take it back, I had to phone HP's services itself, and I couldn't, their phones didn't respond for 2 weeks. I tried to go for a shady repair company again, but they said it'd be too much and not worth it, even though the laptop was with very good specs. I took the ram and hdd out of it and unscrewed the screen to sell it in parts and threw the rest in a bin. The HDD turned out to be faulty.

Anyway, now I have ended with 2 laptops, an Asus and Acer - both are perfect, I have been playing games like GTA IV and BF3 on both and using 3Ds Max, they have no problems even after a year.

They are both cheap, have almost no bloatware (almost, because it's still bloatware but helps for the webcam and sound) and are pretty powerful and strong. Don't know about the customer support as I didn't have to use it, but I'm not putting too much hopes on that.

user posted image

leik oh em jeez!

Wait, so the first one you didn't let them repair it under warranty because they had to check it out to confirm what the problem was? Second one sounds like a GPU problem. The previous owner probably knew about it which I'm guessing is why they were selling it cheap.

Never toss components though. You'd be better off putting it up online for $20 or something. Chances are someone will find something of use out of it and it's a lot more likely to be properly recycled or at least have as many working components pulled from it as possible that way.

I have had my HP pavilion DV6 since 2009...no problems at all. Everything works, even the two remote controls. I just don't understand where do you guys buy such speciments that f*ck up like that. My DV6 hasn't overheaten never, i sometimes clean it with a vacum too. I take the battery out and then clean the vent intake. I do that about once a month. My friend has a similar model as mine and his works perfectly too.

My dv6899 pavilion has been rock solid since '07. No bsods since. It's slow. But it gets the job done. Frequently use it hooked up to an external monitor and running virtual machines with winsrv 08.

We sell consignments such as this on a weekly basis:

http://i.imgur.com/5B6cX.jpg

They rarely come back for repairs. And when they do its usually after heavy usage and punishment. Seems to me that it's a case of pibkac - problem is between keyboard and chair.

user posted image

user posted image

Finn 7 five 11

As you can see here just like mentioned laptops are a hit and miss, and just like desktops of any brand or even home-built some things go wrong and it can't be helped, a bad GPU is Nvidia or AMD's fault not HP's, sometimes they just come out of the production line faulty.

Also one more thing i like about my HP aside from the fact it is relatively powerful and is good value for money (Unlike Macs and Sony which while are great, charge too much) is the keyboard is great, a nice metal finish on the lid and the keyboard area and the keys are neatly spaced out so there is no chance of hitting the key next to the one you want to type.

user posted image

I also do not have over-heating problems ever, and the battery was about 5-6 hours for general net browsing when new, now it's probably 2 and a bit hours, but that can't really be helped, i am not trying to be a HP fanboy, it's just i am speaking from experience.

Which brings me to Dell, please don't purchase a Dell, cheap plastic feel and overheating issues, that's my experience with 3 Dell laptops i owned.

Also one thing i know for sure about Asus laptops is that the Mouse button is terrible, it is one button for right click and left click and it often gets stuck and it is difficult to use properly and the keys are crammed very close together, otherwise good laptops.

If I may throw my hat into the ring, I've used HP laptops in business capacity previously, and always thought highly of them. I have a baby Netbook which I use for working away from home, and that has been fantastic in the 18 months I've owned it. Possibly the only brand I've had better experiences with regarding laptops are Lenovo- and that's only because we use ThinkPads regularly when out on site or operating from the office and they are commonly regarded as the best laptops on the market, bar none.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

If anything, mainboards are built by Foxconn for hp. You can see their logo printed on the boards. They're not cheap stuff put together by a monkey. We get some doa parts but they are usually damaged in transit. The only mistake I have encountered so far from hp's side is once they sent a desktop mobo with a french firmware. We could not flash back to English and had to send it back. More so, replacements are shipped overnight.

user posted image

user posted image

Triple Penetration
Wait, so the first one you didn't let them repair it under warranty because they had to check it out to confirm what the problem was? Second one sounds like a GPU problem. The previous owner probably knew about it which I'm guessing is why they were selling it cheap.

Never toss components though. You'd be better off putting it up online for $20 or something. Chances are someone will find something of use out of it and it's a lot more likely to be properly recycled or at least have as many working components pulled from it as possible that way.

After I told them that I had the same problem again, they immediately refused to do anything. Which means they didn't even want to check it. And I bought that laptop brand new with my aunt. There was no previous owner, it wasn't even cheap. The second one was cheap tho.

And it had only integrated graphics processor, so it wasn't really fixable. And I did put it up online, but nobody wanted it for over 2 months. I don't store laptops anywhere, I just take some parts out and toss it. I don't do that with desktops tho, I either give them to my friends or use the parts in other computers.

user posted image

user posted image

I also have this laptop, but I haven't got over heating problems. The laptop is only very loud. And youtube makes it crash (any flash video also some mpeg formats). But it doesn't crash on another os. So I think the problem is the hardware in combination with windows.

Finn 7 five 11

user posted image

I also have this laptop, but I haven't got over heating problems. The laptop is only very loud. And youtube makes it crash (any flash video also some mpeg formats). But it doesn't crash on another os. So I think the problem is the hardware in combination with windows.

Yeah, i should point out that the DV6 series all look the same, yet they are vastly different in specifications, i don't get crashes on Youtube or MPEGS, do you know if you have dedicated graphics?