CamCorder Storage?

ZoomZoom

I have downloaded CamCorder and I have a question. Where does the videos I record store?

In Frps in save in a folder called Fraps Movies. But where does it save in Camcorder???? dontgetit.gif

C:\Users\[Your Profile Name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Camstudio

That's for Vista/7. Also note that the recordings are hidden files.

3lIXKDi.png

TOO bad Prome I have XP. confused.gif

I think after recording it gives you the option to save the file as well as the location to save it in. Have you tried it?

Also it's CamStudio. tounge.gif

3lIXKDi.png

Click the blue square when you wish to finish the recording. It should pop up the saving window.

Hmm, have you tried looking in C:\WINDOWS\Temp? Note that they're named as the date, so they should begin with 2012 or something. For instance, if I'd have made a video with CamStudio today and saved it, it's name would start with 20120715. Simply open those files and see if they contain your video. Just drag and drop it on the desktop or anywhere else and renamed it.

Also, next time I believe that such questions could be easily asked in the Random Questions v2 topic. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Edited by miromiro

Dead (Retired)

I am recording games so I need to press the HOTKEY, once I press it I return to my Windows session and and the video I recorded it plays in my media player (VLC).

Hmm? I'm not completely sure I understand what you're asking but I'll try. So, you are in the game, start recording using a hotkey and when you stop recording with the hotkey you're taken back to Windows? To not let the video play after you've stopped recording, go to Options -- Program Options -- Play AVI file when recording stops and check Do not play AVI file. Hope this helps.

Dead (Retired)

Just a thought and something to try, works well for me.

MSI Afterburner 2.2.2 can do video recordings, and take screen shots http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2....nload-2562.html

You have to set the hotkey to enable it.

So you get the added benefit of having a program that will monitor what is going with your GPU and record videos at the same time.

Plus you can set where it saves the videos to. Since you're on XP I can't tell you exactly where the default folder is but on 7 it's C:\Users\Public\Videos\Captured but I think it would be something along those lines for XP.

I haven't played around with it much. What I can tell you is that there is a choice of Video formats (MJPG compression, RTV1 compression and uncompressed). I have only tried the MJPG compression. The video did play in my media player (The KMPlayer) but would not open in VirtualDub because there was no codec found but then again it did open in Adobe Premiere which is what I would normally use anyway.

Also Xfire does good recordings as well. I have used that a number of times. Xfire is something meant for talking with your gaming friends. Think MSN or AIM for gamers. www.xfire.com

MIKON8ERISBACK

Thanks everyone but didn't work so I un-installed CamStudio and downloaded the Free version of fraps.  confused.gif

I think the "free" version of Fraps is just a non-functional prop that serves as an ad to get you to buy the full version for about $30 bucks. I remember downloading Fraps years ago and there was absolutely NO disclosure that you actually had to buy the full version. mad.gif

I really wish people would stop using FRAPS because it's sooooooo bad.

Everyone that uses it completely agrees that it lowers their framerate greatly. I've seen video and video on YT where people show off how well their system can handle BF3 (for example) they list their specs and game settings but many then say they get (another example) '40-50fps without fraps but only 20-30fps with fraps recording.' So if you know you're going to drop that low with a program recording your game play why the hell do you keep using?

I've used MSI AfterBurner and Xfire, as I said before, and there is no framerate drop and if there is it is so minimal that you won't notice.

I've played with CamStudio now. If you're using the newest version "CamStudio 2.6 (Build r294)" then the files are in C:\Windows\temp\ which is the default. You can choose where to save them. From the main screen go to Options->Program Options->Directory For Recording: from here there are 3 options; Use Windows temporary directory (which is \Windows\temp\), Use application installed directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\CamStudio 2.6b\Recordings\), or Use user specified directory